closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Portable Gyms

Craftsman

Portable Gyms

I’ve tried to find a thread on this subject but without any joy so thought I’d start one.

I’ve seen portable gyms advertised such as Gymproluxe and wonder if they’re any good?

Has anyone had any experience?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

any exercise is better than no exercise , that said i would not bother with anything like that , join a proper gym where you have access to proper equipment or if that is not possible and you have room get some proper weight sets and a bench.
    * a lot of people dont have the commitment to work out from home and any equipment just becomes a coat hanger

As above, some exercise is better than no exercise. Don't think a portable gym is needed though, they usually offer limited range of motion and aren't really durable enough to last. If you want a portable workout solution, and weight is no issue, you can get a full and thorough workout with a single kettlebell. If thats too heavy, you'd be surprised how good a calisthenics program is, aka the "bodyweight fitness" movement. For proper road warriors not spending long in one place, have a look at "hotel room calisthenics workout". Lots of programs out there to support you and keep things interesting.

Judt buy a kettlebell, done. But I agree if you don't have the self discipline to make it happen, it will just become a doorstop which is why some people need personal trainers tonkeel them accountable.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Master
    Never heard of Gymproluxe before, so just had a quick google.
    I would rather spend that amount of money on a kettlebell and some tutoring from a qualified instructor.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the feedback so far.

To give some background, I am a member of a gym, which I’m not using enough to warrant my membership, in my opinion (circuits once a fortnight typically) and I also play squash twice a week, which I do prefer in all honesty.

I happened to see an advert on Instagram of all places for the above, which aroused my curiosity.

I do enjoy my circuits class although my I am somewhat limited to when I can go due to the class timetable. As well all know, this can prove difficult due to time constraints that we all experience.

I just thought with something like the above, I can do a workout in the morning perhaps (work from home) but I am just curious if it’ll be any good or am I best to stick to my gym membership, which as you say has all the proper equipment.

I’ll have a look at kettlebells (and the thread) as hadn’t thought of those, yet.

Thanks again

Gymprolux mimics the use of cables and even resistance bands, which are good in their own right, providing resistance and time under tension throughout the whole movement. Would I spend money on it? No - I believe you can do a much better workout with just bodyweight exercises and dumbbells/kettlebells.

Part of the issue (from what you've described) might be the lack of motivation you have at the gym. Is there a chance you can find someone to train with there?

I have been gradually getting fitter and stronger using mostly a calisthenic routine paired with a single pair of dumbbells.
    I do a relatively short routine every morning before I shower.
    I wanted flexibility in weight, and kettlebells are not adjustable, which is why i went for dumbbells. I am very happy with them

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    any exercise is better than no exercise , that said i would not bother with anything like that , join a proper gym where you have access to proper equipment or if that is not possible and you have room get some proper weight sets and a bench.
    * a lot of people dont have the commitment to work out from home and any equipment just becomes a coat hanger
    100% this ^

Master
    Putting aside what equipment you use, if time is the issue then that's something else you will need to work on.
    Maybe look at taking smaller exercise snacks? Completing a daily 10 to 15 min session would be of more benefit than trying (and failing) to get to a hour long session at the gym two times a week and not being consistent.
    I never really got into the whole gym culture, so working out at home with kettlebells, indian clubs, steel mace, Gada, sandbag works for me. The issue with new/different training equipment is taking the time to learn how to us them and how to program with them.

Craftsman
    Thank you everyone for the replies and advice.
    The circuit training I do at the gym is intended to ‘compliment’ my squash playing so body weight and kettlebell training might be better than the resistance band gym devices.

I do genuinely feel that I would find working out at home easier than going to the gym so will look into kettlebells and other methods. Plus it’s the time saving and convenience factor such as being able to do it during my lunch break when working at home instead of having to wait for a class in the evening. I find classes easier and more motivating to go to as once you’re booked in, you’ve committed to go. They’re also well structured, which helps.

Anyway, thanks again for the inputs.