closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: retitled: Watches are becoming too expensive. Please discuss

Grand Master
    Maybe only in terms of disposable income,or the worry about resale values.
    But generally expensive pre owned watch values are decreasing!.

Just look at some brands how thay have fallen.....is it now a buyers market.

Blog Entries
    I tend to now buy second hand. A few years ago I was buying Omega new at retail or close to retail. Now I would not buy new unless to celebrate some life event (so plan to never sell in which case residuals become irrelevant).

My last purchase was a discontinued Jaeger Le-Coultre Deep Sea Chronograph dating from 2014 (or so) so had to be bought second hand and I am very happy with.

I tend to buy for enjoyment now but Bre&it (sorry to mention the B word) has scuppered buying from the TZ-UK these days - which is annoying as there are some right crackers turning up.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Interesting "increase the price to better reflect the quality" Not owned a JLC but there are quite a few comments I have read over the years from JLC owners who say the quality has gone down not up. I think the second part is probably closer to the truth, up the price to create the perception of luxury.

Always liked the Reverso but not paying "pick a number out the sky" prices for one.
    They are playing a dangerous game, previously we could kid ourselves that JLC was a semi high horology quality but at omega/Rolex prices, watch makers watch maker yada yada….now less of an enthusiast’s choice and more pseudo luxury not quite high horology expensive BRAND. Still, I think they will have new punters and semi informed that fall for it and can’t quite afford the holy trinity etc

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

I tend to buy for enjoyment now but Bre&it (sorry to mention the B word) has scuppered buying from the TZ-UK these days - which is annoying as there are some right crackers turning up.
    You did move to Portugal in the full knowledge of Brexit, so not a surprise to you. I think you made the right decision BTW, something I'm considering myself (moving abroad in my later years).

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    You did move to Portugal in the full knowledge of Brexit, so not a surprise to you. I think you made the right decision BTW, something I'm considering myself (moving abroad in my later years).
    He did say ‘annoying’, not……………. ‘Outrageous’.

I’ve recently gone through the struggle of the cost of watches.. I sold a Rolex probably 2 years ago now as the price was going up and I just didn’t want 5-6k on my wrist..

Having then gone with gshock and garmin I’ve now stepped back in to mechanical watches again buying a BB54..

I purchased at retail knowing full well its going to lose a large chunk of its value however its a 40th present to myself so willing to accept it..

The reality is for £6 you can get a do it all Casio.. if youre prepared to pay £1000’s for a mechanical watch its mostly down to the romance of it..

Im hoping to keep this one strapped to my wrist long term but we’ll see.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Yes. Latest Moon Watch at £7400 is insane. Seamasters are now far too expensive.
    I bought my first Moonwatch in 2004 from a Glasgow based ‘grey’ seller via eBay for a negotiated £860. It had been supplied by an Italian AD and I considered my purchase to be a bit of a bargain at the time. He had at least two more Moonwatches and a couple of steel Rolex Submariners.