closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yoga

Yoga

As the years pass, I find I'm becoming increasingly stiff and inflexible. My partner has suggested yoga might be a good thing. Does anyone have any experience of yoga or similar?

Craftsman

Yoga

On and off I have practised yoga for about 12 years now (I'm 52) and find it makes more difference to my physical and mental health than other physical exercise. I started with yoga P90X, then P90X2 and then P90X3 (DVD type fitness programmes, but you can find them on YouTube). I've tried classes and if I get the right one I enjoy it but generally I prefer to be alone with an onscreen class.

In hindsight the P90X series were a great progression for me.... p90X yoga is a 90 minute programme and whilst that sounds like a long time they go through all the basic moves and I find now I know all the basics and can join a class or similar of any standard (knowing the moves and being able to execute perfectly with no props are two different things). P90X 3 is the same type of thing but in 30 minutes - providing you have prior knowledge (or accept you will have to pause and rewind) it is the most yoga you can possibly do in 30 minutes and gets it done; its my go to programme. Tried hot yoga, it's OK but expensive with no obvious benefit to me.... tried pilates and really didn't like it but it's personal preference I suppose.

Havent practised for a few months and I'm coming to miss it, pulling together a new programme at the moment which will include yoga 1-2 times a week, not just for the increased flexibility but its the closest I can get to meditation (plus it improves my pop up whilst surfing :)).

Happy to answer any specific questions if I can (I am by no means an expert) but the above has been my journey.

Master
    I started Yoga almost six years ago in my late 40s, wish I’d started earlier! I now practice 3 to 4 times a week (classes and at home). Regular practice has many documented benefits. As we get older statistically the most dangerous thing in the house is the floor. It’s important to be able to keep good balance and mobility. Yoga is not just about being flexible (biggest misconception ever) , there’s strength and mobility and much more to be gained with regular practice.

As a beginner it can be overwhelming. Odd words used to describe poses, the whole practice can seem a bit strange. My first ever class was at my local sports centre, it was a nightmare. I couldn’t sit cross legged without pain at the start during the breathing exercises, I couldn’t keep up during the movements, I was told “childs pose” was a resting pose, but again it was painful for my body and my head didn’t reach the floor. At the end of class the teacher came to talk to me and asked how it went? I explained I couldn’t do it, “Good, that’s why you need to practice. See you next week!” Now I sit on a block to be comfy crossed legged, I put a block under my head in childs pose. A good teacher will show alternatives and adaptations of poses using props (blocks/starp/chair etc).

I would suggest finding a local class, put your postcode followed by “yoga” into google and see what’s local. Sometimes classes are in village halls, church halls etc. Get to class early, talk to the teacher, lets us know how it goes.

As above, feel free to ask any questions.

This interests me. Have been doing Pilates for a year or two. However, the class been cancelled, so I tried yoga for the first tme this morning. I'll certainly be going back again next week.

I did like Pilates, and would certainly recommend that you give it a go if you get the opportunity. It does seem to borrow a lot from yoga, but doesn't venture into the mysticism and spirituality that I (as a completely uneducated newby) associate with yoga.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    It does seem to borrow a lot from yoga, but doesn't venture into the mysticism and spirituality that I (as a completely uneducated newby) associate with yoga.
    I think you maybe confusing your Yoga & Yoda…

Sorry I’ll get my coat.

Get your coat indeed you must 🤣

Master
    This interests me. Have been doing Pilates for a year or two. However, the class been cancelled, so I tried yoga for the first tme this morning. I'll certainly be going back again next week.

I did like Pilates, and would certainly recommend that you give it a go if you get the opportunity. It does seem to borrow a lot from yoga, but doesn't venture into the mysticism and spirituality that I (as a completely uneducated newby) associate with yoga.
    By strange coincidence, one of the yoga teachers is leaving the sports centre soon, they can't find another yoga teacher, so they are changing the class to....Pilates. I'll let you know how I get on.

Most yoga classes in the UK are more based towards the poses (Asanas) and fitness type yoga. Much of the traditional spirituality etc has been diluted or just removed. An example of this, I know of a lady who complained that the first 15 mins of a yoga class she went to was "just breathing", which she felt was a waste of time and just wanted to get on with the "yoga".

Master
    I summoned up the courage to take up yoga just over a year ago. I didn’t fancy a draughty church hall on a cold winters evening so thought I’d jump straight into hot yoga. I go to a franchise of https://hotpodyoga.com/ and haven’t looked back.
    I try to go at least twice a week, often four. When I joined I thought it would just be a bit of stretching but the version they do, Vinyasa flow, is so much more!
    At the age of 57 the press ups on one leg with your other knee by your elbow kill me! I was fairly fit before I went but it is exhausting!
    I joined because I’m not very flexible and thought I’m only going to get worse unless I do something about it, if not now then when!

Master
    Get your coat indeed you must 🤣
    Brilliant!

I do 10mins to 20mins of Yoga and just follow Brett Larkin videos on YouTube, ignore the woman focussed aspect, poses are all the same.

I run 20 to 30 miles a week and it keeps me injury free.

I've got a lot of benefit mentally and physically from yoga.

Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube is a good start if you are uncomfortable taking a class to start with.

I personally love the Down Dog yoga app, supremely flexible (ha) which enables me to do it on my terms at home.

Craftsman
    I’ve been doing yoga for around 12 years now and I couldn’t recommend it highly enough. Works wonders for your physical and mental health.

Yoga

Just for a little counter, I have tried yoga but disliked it.
    I have found Pilates to offer much more (for my personal needs).

I find some of the stretching within yoga to be counter-productive, almost striving to show how far you can go in spite of, rather than considering, the bio-mechanics - and do not buy into the meditative aspect of it. (Not saying it doesn’t work - but i don’t want to have that force-fed into my exercise routine)

A few km ran per day and a good runners-type stretching afterwards will really do just as much as anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 14th April 2023 at 23:56.

Thanks for the many and detailed replies. Obviously everyone is at a different stage of decrepitude - I'm probably nearer the 'shuffles quickly to the toilet in an emergency' state rather than 'runs kms per day'. I'm about as stressed as The Big Lebowski, so the metaphysical part of yoga isn't of great interest to me.

I am at the point where muscle strains come easily and take a long time to heal, so I'm wary of classes where I might feel any compulsion to 'compete' and consequently hurt myself. There have been some YouTube channel recommendations already - any more good ones?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Thanks for the many and detailed replies. Obviously everyone is at a different stage of decrepitude - I'm probably nearer the 'shuffles quickly to the toilet in an emergency' state rather than 'runs kms per day'. I'm about as stressed as The Big Lebowski, so the metaphysical part of yoga isn't of great interest to me.

I am at the point where muscle strains come easily and take a long time to heal, so I'm wary of classes where I might feel any compulsion to 'compete' and consequently hurt myself. There have been some YouTube channel recommendations already - any more good ones?
    What are you looking for in a channel?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Sadly - I can’t stand it. I have some tendon injuries in my wrist so cannot bend my wrists back very far - anything that requires me to put my hands flat on the ground just doesn’t work. Also my ligaments are short so restrict movement. I do other things to keep fit. My wife though is slightly hyperextended so finds all those bendy things easy.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    There have been some YouTube channel recommendations already - any more good ones?
    The Girl with the Pilates Mat has lots of videos, ranging from chair and standing excercises for us oldies through to some more advanced stuff.

Just watching yoga videos makes me stiff.

Interesting thread.

I’ve been doing yoga 2-3 times a week for 5 years since hip replacement surgery and found it hugely beneficial.

My flexibility has increased significantly but it’s not all about that. It’s improved core strength, balance and posture. The spiritual side is not for me.

The Pilates cross over is significant and I found the classes I tried relatively easy after ‘keep fit’ style yoga.

I would recommend trying it, yoga classes can be very varied, finding a class/teacher that suits you is key !

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Oddly I started a week ago. I did a class with my mrs and found it confusing but I ve done a class every day since and I m really enjoying it. I have problems with my shoulder through swimming for years and 30 years of electrical work on site. I ve been the only man in the class more than not but doesn’t bother me thought it would but it doesn’t.

I do it from my Peloton subscription.

Makes a big difference

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Just watching yoga videos makes me stiff.
    Ha ha ha! You diiiirty owd man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lots of replies here that contain points that I was going to make, so I'll just summarise my thoughts.

Headline - do it.

1. I've done yoga on and off for a decade or so, and have even led some classes in the absence of the instructor. I like it, it's good for me, I can tune out the woo of the mysticism. Most of the time.
    2. I now do pilates, and I think I prefer it - try both, get a feel.
    3. I prefer to do a class - I like having the practice forced upon me, as I'm a lazy backslider and if left to YT, I don't bother! But Yoga with Adrienne is good.
    4. It's good for your mental health to have a couple of hours a week when you're not looking at your phone, a couple of hours of time for yourself. And you're not too stiff or unsupple for yoga or pilates - that's like saying that you're too dirty to have a bath.

I'm minded to check out the P90X 3, mind - sounds interesting!