closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chaps guide - interesting watch reviews

Craftsman

Chaps guide - interesting watch reviews

I’ve come across this guy on YouTube called ash jones and goes by the account of “chaps guide” in particular he reviewed the latest explorer 1 (124270) which I’’ve thoroughly enjoyed! Hes review of the watch is very different to the usual suspects. Does anyone else watch he’s reviews?

Yes, nice guy and I enjoy his content.

Oh yes. I think I saw a video he did mourning the loss of Kiwi shoe polish to the UK market.

I'd intended to look at some of his other videos, but forgot all about it. Thank you for the reminder!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Oh yes. I think I saw a video he did mourning the loss of Kiwi shoe polish to the UK market.

I'd intended to look at some of his other videos, but forgot all about it. Thank you for the reminder!
    Yes interesting guy, very honest and very sensible too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    10 things a chap can’t live without, I love this guy. I’m a bit addicted

https://youtu.be/oXtoUNgQPxU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    'signature daytime fragrance'

what a bore

Quote Originally Posted by ellsy_79 View Post
    10 things a chap can’t live without, I love this guy. I’m a bit addicted

https://youtu.be/oXtoUNgQPxU

18:35 "I love reading. Fiction is great if you want entertainment. Non-fiction delivers the best learning experience. If you're somebody who just loves fiction why not make a pact with yourself to do fiction, non-fiction, fiction every other. That way you'll definitely develop further along that on that journey to chap nirvana."

Er, literature anyone? Art for art's sake, as an end in itself (beautiful prose and poetry) -- never mind the "learning" one can acquire through truly great literature, which deals with the universals of human condition within the particulars of a microcosm. Novels, poetry, plays, short stories read properly will teach you as much as any non-fiction work and be far more enjoyable.

Master
    All a bit of a pastiche IMHO.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I'm not taking style advice from Iain Duncan Smith.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    I'm not taking style advice from Iain Duncan Smith.

Looks more like Anthony Head (Gold Blend, adverts, Buffy, Spooks) to me.

So: doesn’t read fiction, likes blended Scotch and thinks the Datejust on a jubilee is the perfect watch.

All fine enough and I’m certainly a fan of those things but rather obvious choices at best. Honestly it’s like taking advice from my dad’s mate down the pub who think he’s a classic stylish gent.

I’m still reeling from the attitude towards fiction though. Surprised he’s not a Bremont man.

Edit: oh and inevitably he has a Sub and wears a Barbour. Again, fine choices but hardly original or interesting. Seems like nice bloke and all but I’m not sure who his intended audience is.
    Last edited by Rev-O; 15th April 2023 at 17:02.

Craftsman
    I’ve seen a few of his videos. They have a certain charm but overall he’s a bit parochial for me. He’s the watch reviewer equivalent of an egg and cress sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s garbage, and slow garbage at that. Who takes 30 minutes to list 10 items.

Know yourself and do your own thing. Don’t be lectured, slowly, by some random on the internet. Why would his or any other “influencer” opinion matter?
    Last edited by Montello; 16th April 2023 at 09:31.

A few good videos by that guy, just spent an hour on his channel. I find myself in agreement with a lot of his comments/taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    18:35 "I love reading. Fiction is great if you want entertainment. Non-fiction delivers the best learning experience. If you're somebody who just loves fiction why not make a pact with yourself to do fiction, non-fiction, fiction every other. That way you'll definitely develop further along that on that journey to chap nirvana."

Er, literature anyone? Art for art's sake, as an end in itself (beautiful prose and poetry) -- never mind the "learning" one can acquire through truly great literature, which deals with the universals of human condition within the particulars of a microcosm. Novels, poetry, plays, short stories read properly will teach you as much as any non-fiction work and be far more enjoyable.
    Mmmm.

Seems like he's suggesting a balance and you're not.

Fiction, of course, can be more than mere entertainment, but just reading fiction is a bit limitng.

I certainly don't see a problem with suggesting a mix.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Mmmm.

Seems like he's suggesting a balance and you're not.

Fiction, of course, can be more than mere entertainment, but just reading fiction is a bit limitng.

I certainly don't see a problem with suggesting a mix.

M
    I certainly advocate a mix but even that supposes a neat delineation. A good historical novel or biography could be said to be the best of both worlds. But I don't read in a functional, instrumental way as a means to an end. Or at least not always (obviously some printed material is purely instructional).

"Fiction is great if you want entertainment. Non-fiction delivers the best learning experience. If you're somebody who just loves fiction why not make a pact with yourself to do fiction, non-fiction, fiction every other. That way you'll definitely develop further along that on that journey to chap nirvana."

Let me re-word that:

"Good literary fiction broadens your mind and deepens your heart. A well-written and interesting story will teach you as much about the world as any textbook. (Non-fiction also has its place, of course). One way to do this is to read two books, one fiction and one non-fiction, that deal with same subject (say, Operation Torch and a novel set during that campaign). You'll get two very different accounts and each will illuminate the other, symbiotically. So if you're the kind of man who just reads non-fiction then think about what interests you (London? music? crime? politics? hillwalking? fishing?) and see if you can find a novel that deals with that subject or at least touches on it. Reading fiction is part of being a well-rounded person, intellectually curious and agile. I'd even go so far as to say that everyone should have some familiarity with some great literature. If you find the idea of "literature" daunting and want a place to start may I suggest something well-written with a strong story, such as P G Wodehouse or Ian McEwan? It doesn't have to be "big" or "difficult" or daunting -- in fact, if you're not enjoying it stop and find something else. Some books are truly gripping and there's a sense of of loss when you finish them. Others will make you laugh or cry. All should make you think and feel, touching your head and your heart. So read some non-fiction. You'll be a more interesting person for it and go to places you've never even dreamed of. (Every bookshop is a time machine and a travel agent.)"
    Last edited by Rev-O; 17th April 2023 at 10:06.

Master

Edit: oh and inevitably he has a Sub and wears a Barbour. Again, fine choices but hardly original or interesting. Seems like nice bloke and all but I’m not sure who his intended audience is.
    TZ Forumites obviously. :)

Surprised he’s not a Bremont man.
    He's saving that video for when his red chinos arrive

Master
    Is he on here? Just waiting for the MX-5 recommendation…

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    TZ Forumites obviously. :)
    What slippers does he wear I wonder ;o)