closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelagos - Advice re: lume falling out of bezel

Master

Pelagos - Advice re: lume falling out of bezel

Looking for a little advice if anyone has experience…

My 2018 Pelagos, of which I am NOT the original buyer, has suffered the disappointing loss of its 5 minute lume marker from the bezel. I’ve read about this before, so clearly something of a weakness with what is the otherwise indestructible Pelagos.

I’ve read about people getting this fixed free of charge, whereas I’ve read about others being charged.

For anyone who has had a positive experience (read ‘getting the work done free of charge’), may I ask how you went about getting this fixed please?

Thank you!

Master
    The pip fell out of the bezel on my 2021 Pelagos after six months. I sent it back to Rolex at St James who eventually replaced the entire bezel FOC (there is some suggestion that there is an uprated item available now). It took them months because there was a worldwide shortage of bezels, due to failure being not uncommon.
    Tudor currently have a 5 year warranty on their watches, is yours still inside it's warranty? Even if it's not, I would argue that it's a well documented manufacturing defect and expect it to be rectified FOC.

Master
    Found this for you to have a read;
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=Pelagos%2Bpip
    Hope it helps.

Master
    Have just messaged you.

HP

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Happened to mine outside of warranty. Took it to my local AD who agreed to send to Tudor under the assumption that it would be resolved FOC anyway, and it was.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

I had this on my blue Pelagos. Was out of warranty and they refused to fix it without a service. Eventually I stumped up but the watch was running fine and didn't need opening to replace the bezel. No other option though as not a part I could buy from anywhere else. Sold it as soon as I got it back.

This is timely, just received a pelagos with the lume pip and 5 min marking missing, it was not obvious so giving the benefit of the doubt. I did message to return it as it was 4 months outside the 3.5 years warranty, but I've just dropped it of at the AD to chance my arm with a good will gesture, the AD certainly wrote warranty repair on the chitty

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks all - this is very helpful.

The watch is well out of warranty. I seem to recall 5 years came in later than 2018 - earlier watches were gifted an extra 18 months I believe, but mine is still beyond that extended warranty period.

I’d like to think you’d be a shoo-in for this if your watch was under warranty.

I’ll position this with the AD as a known issue and see where we go from there. I‘ll check the warranty card to see from where it was originally bought - I have a sneaky suspicion it was Ernest Jones, but I’m away from home right now so not 100%. I’ll then decide whether to speak with Ernest Jones, or a more local AD.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a relationship with any ADs which I could use to my advantage…

Master
    And there goes the 10 minute marker too.

This can’t be coincidence. I’m currently on holiday so presumably warm weather and/or time spent in the pool has sealed its fate…

Be careful near water with your 500m watches chaps!!

This is shocking. I didn't know about this issue. Touch wood my ETA version is still OK but I don't think I've taken it anywhere particularly warm.
    All I can say is I hope Tudor sorts you out. As you say it can't be a coincidence for it to happen twice in a few days.

That is very disappointing
    You could show Tudor this thread and the other to support the stance that this is a manufacturing defect
    Is it possible the glue that holds the markers in is getting to warm and letting the lume fall out?
    Regardless it’s poor and I hope this does not happen to my ETA version.

Master
    A quick update on this one.

In total, I lost 4 lume batons over the holiday meaning the bezel was looking particularly sorry for itself. I called and then popped into my local AD and positioned this as a known fault, thereby hoping (read ‘expecting’ but worded in the right way in my conversation with the AD) the work would be carried out free of charge despite the watch being out of warranty. AD said they felt the same way but it was ultimately down to Tudor.

6 weeks later… the watch has returned with a brand new bezel (plus a nice little service pouch) free of charge. There was no middle ground here; I’d either have been highly disappointed if Tudor had charged me or forced me to service the watch, or felt Tudor had gone above and beyond if they completed the work free of charge. Fortunately for me, it was the latter.

The key to this outcome, I feel, was positioning the problem as a known fault. Many thanks to forum members for that advice.

Craftsman
    Well played but Tudor has had quality control issues year after year. It’s pretty disappointing that you had to wait 6 weeks for a new bezel. I had a similar experience awaiting repair of the date wheel issue on my BB GMT and a lume pip issue on my BB58. Tudors are hardly the bargain they once were….

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If Tudor tries it on and doesn’t pony up with a fix, just write to them citing the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Goods must be fit for service for 6 years and fault must have occurred at time of manufacturing.

After you have exhausted all good will a threatening small claim letter usually does the trick. Loads of evidence of similar issues across many walks Chris to substantiate the case.

I have done it with electronics. No reason it cant be done with watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    If Tudor tries it on and doesn’t pony up with a fix, just write to them citing the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Goods must be fit for service for 6 years and fault must have occurred at time of manufacturing.

After you have exhausted all good will a threatening small claim letter usually does the trick. Loads of evidence of similar issues across many walks Chris to substantiate the case.

Did you even bother to read the update from the OP? Nope.

Blog Entries
    I was looking at this very model (39 Pelagos Ti but in-house movement) and this thread has rather put me off as I live in a warm climate and would expect to wear it in the pool. I wonder if the new bezels are made differently and still fail?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

That's really good news and a very different outcome to my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Did you even bother to read the update from the OP? Nope.
    It is general advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

It is general advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It wasn't as you reference Tudor not doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    It wasn't as you reference Tudor not doing it.
    Same thing. The advice was not specific to the Op, as you will have noticed in the thread that other had ponied up the cash, given Tudor told them to swivel.

Got my pelagos back today with a new bezel and insert, all free of charge. Watch was 6 months out of warranty, so happy ending!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats a good result,though its hard to understand how they could have got it so wrong in the first place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I was looking at this very model (39 Pelagos Ti but in-house movement) and this thread has rather put me off as I live in a warm climate and would expect to wear it in the pool. I wonder if the new bezels are made differently and still fail?
    Martyn
    I splashed on a 39mm Pelagos recently, and it really is a cracker - so much more of an everyday wearer than its bigger brother. The sunburst dial and (different) brushed ceramic bezel make the watch ever so slightly dressier, but all the better for it.
    I’ve not long been back from hols where the watch was doused in sun crème, salt water and various chemicals from the hotel swimming pool.
    Nothing detrimental to report here, and timekeeping is deadly accurate (the bezel zeroes properly too)
    I’d definitely recommend you get one (they look great on the supplied rubber too).
    J

Master
    Up until this year, my 2014 Pelagos has been my holiday watch. Never had an issue with lume loss. Maybe it was just a batch, albeit a large batch.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Up until this year, my 2014 Pelagos has been my holiday watch. Never had an issue with lume loss. Maybe it was just a batch, albeit a large batch.
    To be fair I've had 6, the first 5 were perfect.....

Journeyman
    Im the latest victim! Owned the watch 6 years in that time it’s probably been worn for no more than 6 months on/off.
    Really disappointed is an understatement. I guess as im outside the 5 year warranty i will have to pay for it to be fixed? Anyone had to pay and know how much it’s likely to be?

https://ibb.co/b5093tj
    Last edited by Bangers; 15th August 2023 at 13:47.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s been reported on an FXD too

Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
    Im the latest victim! Owned the watch 6 years in that time it’s probably been worn for no more than 6 months on/off.
    Really disappointed is an understatement. I guess as im outside the 5 year warranty i will have to pay for it to be fixed? Anyone had to pay and know how much it’s likely to be?

Tudor have been fixing these outside of warranty

Scroll down this thread and read this thread link
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=Pelagos%2Bpip

It’s an known Issue, do not accept it’s your problem
    Other have gotten Tudor to sort free of charge, in your shoes I would push for the same.

On an aside, has anyone heard of this happening to an ETA version?
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 15th August 2023 at 21:49.

Journeyman
    Six hours later im down another lume marker.

Journeyman
    This is shocking and makes me want to get rid of my five month old Pelagos.
    Are there specific characteristics of the model to look out for?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pandaballs View Post
    This is shocking and makes me want to get rid of my five month old Pelagos.
    Are there specific characteristics of the model to look out for?
    It’s one reason I sold my blue one. Oddly no such issues with the 39 range or FXD range.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    It’s one reason I sold my blue one. Oddly no such issues with the 39 range or FXD range.
    There has been at least one occurrence in an FDX reported on here

Journeyman
    Lost a third marker today. Good show for a four grand watch.

https://postimg.cc/dZyx28bs

Master

3 in a day is astonishing, I’d be livid.

Not worn mine for ages, not inspiring me to either tbh!

The lume pip fell out of my Dreadnought Voyager.

Eddie sent me a replacement.

Charging for a service for this is yet another reason I'll never buy into the Rolex BS.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

To be fair to Tudor, they replaced mine out of warranty without fuss

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The lume pip fell out of my Dreadnought Voyager.

Eddie sent me a replacement.

Charging for a service for this is yet another reason I'll never buy into the Rolex BS.

M

In almost all cases, bezel is replaced free of charge without a service even if out of warranty
    Where does this come from?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Surely the bezel just pops off, a good AD with in house watchmaker should be able to do it on site.

I'm really interested to know if this has happened to anyone following a replacement insert? I hope it's not a like for like replacement, and they are using a slightly different technique or material on the replacement inserts.

That’s really weird, I wonder why they fall out? Is there an adhesive that fails? Almost as if heat (if the sun for example) causes the glue to fail and then more than one drops out, very peculiar how they all stay put for an extended period then once one falls out, so does another?!?

Master
    You really have to wonder what you're getting for your money if you decide to buy a Tudor instead of a Pagani.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    I'm really interested to know if this has happened to anyone following a replacement insert? I hope it's not a like for like replacement, and they are using a slightly different technique or material on the replacement inserts.
    The bezel pip fell out of mine (as per the link in my post above) rather than the lume markers, and it looks like the replacement bezel could be different from the original.
    I can't say if it was just a "Mk2" bezel or indeed an updated design as a response to reported issues, but mine has been fine since.
    My frustration was the length of time for it to be resolved. That being said, I suppose we will never know if the delay was because of the volume of repairs required, or the provision of an improved part to address the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    In almost all cases, bezel is replaced free of charge without a service even if out of warranty
    Where does this come from?
    Someone posted earlier that they had to have a full service .

M

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Someone posted earlier that they had to have a full service .

M

I didn't get a service, just a replacement bezel and bezel insert

Journeyman
    So, latest victim here. Just noticed the lume from two of the hour markers on the bezel are missing from my LHD. Will take to to an AD to see if it can get repaired FOC out of warranty. Certainly looks like it's a known issue (although I don't expect Rolex / Tudor to admit that).

Quote Originally Posted by dougieb View Post
    So, latest victim here. Just noticed the lume from two of the hour markers on the bezel are missing from my LHD. Will take to to an AD to see if it can get repaired FOC out of warranty. Certainly looks like it's a known issue (although I don't expect Rolex / Tudor to admit that).
    There’s certainly enough evidence to support it being a known issue.

A lesser known issue with mine is the yellowing of the bezel markers.

This is coming up to three years old.

New -

Now -

Master
    That’s very strange Jon, what are they saying about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    A lesser known issue with mine is the yellowing of the bezel markers.
    Replace yellow with the word patina, and the desirability goes up.

I am presuming the lume plots falling out or yellowing is related to heat and humidity?
    It does not seem to affect the ETA versions. (I have not seen it mentioned as an issue)