closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which are your favourite 3 watches in your collection?

Master
    Blog Entries

Which are your favourite 3 watches in your collection?

I'll start....& they're all vintage.

In the traditional reverse order........:

Number 3

!977 Omega Marine Chronometer. Purchased 4 years ago via the Forum from Dr.f.

Number 2

1970 Ollech & Wajs Caribbean 1000. My 'grail' response was triggered about a year ago when Blueboy1 posted his 'How to sell my watch collection' post. I'm sure that resulted in an avalanche of PM's to him. To cut a long story short I was in at the kill on a Fellows' online auction & was over the moon to land this one.

Number 1

1945 Longines WWW aka 'Greenlander'. This was the subject of a classic thread over on MWR Forum. https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/show...ht=freshly+dug A metal detectorist had dug it up from a muddy Welsh field in 2016. Subsequently the watch found it's way into the hands of the legendary John Senior who needed a case to go with the NOS movement, dial & hands that he happened to have. The case was Laser welded to repair it & the end result was effectively a new watch from 1945. I contacted John Senior at the time & offered to buy it but he had no desire to sell & said 'it's money in the bank'. Fast forward a year or so & I just happened to be trawling eBay when I came across this very watch at auction with just 20 minutes to go. I put a big last minute bid & was delighted to win the auction. I really love this watch. I know it's an inanimate object but I can't help thinking how long it's spent buried in a Welsh field & now it's been returned to it's splendour & is seeing the light of day.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quite the clear out last year (SBGW267, 124060, moonwatch, Zenith HW) so not much left to choose from.

114060 I picked up the day a relative passed away so I've got huge attachment to it.

Smiths Commando which has been my go to DIY working around the house and car watch so has a nice patina on it now.

F91W orange for no particular reason.

Which are your favourite 3 watches in your collection?

Love these threads. Made me think a fair bit but in all honesty the answer was fairly simple when I thought about what the watches meant to me behind the ££ value

1= The watch that started it all as a kid, my grandad had this in his bedside table. His ear watch. Was damaged (fixed bar broken) and a nine runner. But I loved it. Grandad always said when I’m gone it’s yours.
    Animalone fixed it up years after my Grandad passed. A small watch but a watch with memories and a ton of history.

1= It may be a typical brand and a Rolex to me though it got huge meaning. Bought with the remaining money from my Dads estate after we bought our house. To me a true present from both mum and dad who I lost too soon and far too close together (23month), ironically I posted on here about looking at a variety of these literally days before Dad passed and in the pub this one was the one he liked best.. so a no brainer for me to get in memory

3. A forum favourite and to me one that holds so many fun memories my holiday watch and a watch I instinctively associate with fun and summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I’ll have a go. Thinking carefully about the terminology, “favourite” - in my head, that means the ones worn most or have special meaning.

Omega Seamaster NTTD
    Bought after selling up, lock stock and barrel and leaving the UK and setting up home in a country where I do not speak the language or have any family - but do have friends and of course my lifetime best friend and life companion, my loving wife. No regrets.

It can be worn on the beach, in the pool and with the Ti bracelet or NATO or I have a white Zulander for the summer - is versatile.

Patek 5146J
    Bought from the last money from my mums estate - always a special place. Lovely watch, must dig out and wear it. Not sure if there is a rubber strap that would suit it?

Is the NATO blasphemy?

Patek 7234G
    Most recent significant purchase. Maybe need a rubber 19mm strap to go with it - though the aviation OEM does suit it.

A close mention goes to my Dad’s Rolex Air-King-Date. I don’t wear it very much but will never sell it.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I'd choose randomly from my exit watches. Probably.

BUBI
    @porque.racing

I wear the Marathon at night and some days. The 3919 is my absolute favourite for both casual and formal occasions. The Aerospace for when I need the functions or fancy the feel of a bracelet.

Yes it's blasphemy and you must say 3 Hail Mary's. But even so it's my favourite of your 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Patek 5146J
    Bought from the last money from my mums estate - always a special place. Lovely watch, must dig out and wear it. Not sure if there is a rubber strap that would suit it?

Is the NATO blasphemy?

Didn't have to think very long about this. The Sinn is new-ish to me, so perhaps the mania will fade, but in any case the two most expensive watches I own are not in this picture... Hmmm....

Currently only own 3, so I guess I'll opt out of this one on a technicality

Master

Had the XII since Easter 1998 - it was the Saturday, so 25 years ago tomorrow!

I bought the GMT on my birthday in 1986.

The Inge was acquired from SC a few years ago to replace a similar one (black dial, all steel) that I regretted selling about ten years ago. I bought the original one in 1998.

Blog Entries
    In no particular order, probably these three ( at the moment )...

... but that doesn't mean they are the most worn.

z

My favourite and most worn is this SMP that my Mrs bought me twenty odd years ago.

I have a soft spot for this gigantic Avenger diver.

Third one is difficult as I have so many vintage watches but I'll plump for this.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Only these two are worthy from my modest collection, and they cover every conceivable occasion for me.

Master
    OK I’ll play. Hard to say these are my absolute favourites, but certainly the three I would hate to part with the most. In no particular order:

1983 DJ - Quintessential dress watch, never yet bettered imo.

1970 Smiths W10 birth year watch

Smiths Navigator - 50th birthday present from my now wife-to-be!

Craftsman
    I think my favourite and my most worn are basically the same set - a group shot I took a while back for the most worn thread still holds true:

Thanks to decent water resistance and bracelets mean all three can be worn daily without having to worry about them. They're not exotic, so I've no real issue wearing them daily, although the Sinn has taken over from the GMT-II as my default choice.

I think the Sinn and the GMT are dependably boring whilst the Snowflake has many understated touches and an interesting movement that only really show on closer inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I’ll have a go. Thinking carefully about the terminology, “favourite” - in my head, that means the ones worn most or have special meaning.

Omega Seamaster NTTD

Patek 5146J

Patek 7234G
    Jesus Martyn 🥵 talk about exit watches! Very jealous. One day!

Can't say I would wear the Patek on NATO but each to his own

I think I like them all too much to pick out 3, it’s like choosing a favourite child!

I have had a go

I’ve had them all out today, and as much as I like the Explorers, I still prefer the Subs. I think this 16610 just shades the 14060M, but not by much.

The Dornbluth was built for me, to my specs, so this has to be in the top 3. I’m still delighted with it 4 months after delivery

The third would have to be something a bit off the wall. My usual B&R choice has been joined by some PAMs, but they’re the new thing, so I’m a bit enamoured. It’s a cheat, so number 3 from here

Dave

Gorgeous watches fella

My three favs, 1956 DJ 6605, Sub 16613 and a Ball Marvelight punching way above its weight.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some great top three's on here so far.

Podium shot from me.....

These three for me currently. No particular order.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Some great top three's on here so far.

Podium shot from me.....

Can’t say I would be unhappy with any of them. The O&W is a cracker.
    I have a John Senior Record WWW that is as pretty as a pretty thing. Almost perfect.
    I think my favourite 3 chop and change by the week so would need a favourite 6 at least. but 7016, 1550SG and 165.024 would be up there. (With the 910 flightmaster Hamilton 6b, CWC 82 chrono popping in and out).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post

Had the XII since Easter 1998 - it was the Saturday, so 25 years ago tomorrow!
    Just found the receipt for it while looking for something else .. it was the 14th April. So actually a Tuesday. I must have been on leave at the time.

Number one is pretty constant, it's always going to be my Seiko Monster.

Positions two and three change with the weather, but I think currently those spots are taken by my Ming 37.05 and Zenith Pilot

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    These are my 3 most worn, are they my favourites? I guess so as they get worn most.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Not the most worn or the ones I would part with last but these are my favourites, today anyway.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    These are the 3 I wear the most so I suppose they're favourites!

Pam 190, SD 43, AP ROO Diver.

Craftsman
    Not in any particular order.

The Monster was my first serious Diver and still looks the part.

The Speedy a milestone birthday gift and a grail that I aspired and admired from afar but never thought would own.

And the Sinn just because it's a great everyday wearer.

I'm fairly sure these 3 and my GW5000 could easily hit the sweet spot for a minimalist collection.

Journeyman
    i only have three.....................

Probably these three.

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Desert.

Omega Speedmaster Racing.

Tudor FXD MN21 (that I haven't even worn yet).

Last edited by j111dja; 11th April 2023 at 17:33.

It changes, but these are certainly up there

and I'll add a 4th for my "for ever" keeper

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    These three for me currently. No particular order.

Great combo

Master
    Blog Entries

In my opinion, "favourite " is a movable feast. Anyway here are my current ones:

Firstly is my one and only Rolex. 16622 Yacht-master:

This scratched an itch. I felt my collection needed a Rolex in it. The YM suits me perfectly, it's generally "under the radar", you don't often see them in the wild. It's not a "follow the herd" item, and cost significantly less that equivalent Subs and GMTs when I bought it, despite the PM content, solid links, triple lock crown and 3135 movement.

The "Great White" was an impulse buy several years ago; i.e. without permission from SWMBO. And was my favourite for many years. Always used it when abroad.

The 309 is is one of my most recent purchases, and also one of the watches I wear most. Love the look, and the whole Sinn/Breitling back story. Love correcting people who think it is a copy..

A

Tough one but I'd go with these

I have had a good think about this

My 3 are -
    1 ZUZ-issued Tutima Commando II

The perfect (for me) Lemania 5100. All the 12-hr central minute chrono features of the movement that I want, and none of the ones I don't (running seconds, day, 24 hr sub-dial), rotating bezel, Titanium, and rare as you like. The fact that I managed to snag it direct from the Zoll disposal auction when it reached the end of its service life means that not only was this design almost custom made for my taste, but I also am quite invested in it as an individual watch. I have an EZM1, but this is better. I have been wearing my Commando for the last 3 weeks, and I begin to wonder why I have so many other watches......

2 - 1976 Tudor Snowflake (94110)

I see that I am not alone in liking these, and I am not surprised. This one came to me over a decade ago as an ugly duckling, with a dial missing several indices, and a caseback that had been butchered to gain access to the movement. So a couple of years and some sensible restoration later, I have my swan, a very presentable snowflake, which I wear a lot.

3 - BBC issued Nero Lemania

The one on the left, clearly. This is my Speedmaster equivalent. It uses the same movement, but sensibly installs it into a 120m rated 41mm case, quite the watch given its early 1970s origin. A great watch.

I won't add any more, but 3rd spot was a close run thing with 4,5 and 6

D

Ok lemme try... one per type: chrono, small casual, diver. For now!

BUBI
    @porque.racing

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

My 3 are -

Now that is really quite remarkable. Lovely

D

Blog Entries
    Having recently consolidated the collection, I'm a little more restricted for choice but probably, in reverse order....

PAM00321

Damasko DC86 Orange - usually worn on the factory bracelet but more recently on the Damasko Robby as below.

Seiko LX GMT Skymaster SNR033.

I've not been able to choose my three favourites, so have looked at the records. In the last twelve months, these three have been worn the most.

1. CWC GS - 31%
    2. Baby Dreadnought - 22%
    3. Precista Royal Navy Diver - 19%

Baby Dreadnought doing well there, aa I've only had it since September.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

My 3 are -

The perfect (for me) Lemania 5100. All the 12-hr central minute chrono features of the movement that I want, and none of the ones I don't (running seconds, day, 24 hr sub-dial), rotating bezel, Titanium, and rare as you like. The fact that I managed to snag it direct from the Zoll disposal auction when it reached the end of its service life means that not only was this design almost custom made for my taste, but I also am quite invested in it as an individual watch. I have an EZM1, but this is better. I have been wearing my Commando for the last 3 weeks, and I begin to wonder why I have so many other watches......

2 - 1976 Tudor Snowflake (94110)

I see that I am not alone in liking these, and I am not surprised. This one came to me over a decade ago as an ugly duckling, with a dial missing several indices, and a caseback that had been butchered to gain access to the movement. So a couple of years and some sensible restoration later, I have my swan, a very presentable snowflake, which I wear a lot.

3 - BBC issued Nero Lemania

The one on the left, clearly. This is my Speedmaster equivalent. It uses the same movement, but sensibly installs it into a 120m rated 41mm case, quite the watch given its early 1970s origin. A great watch.

I won't add any more, but 3rd spot was a close run thing with 4,5 and 6

D
    That Tudor is just stunning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjamie View Post
    Jesus Martyn 掠 talk about exit watches! Very jealous. One day!

Can't say I would wear the Patek on NATO but each to his own
    The 5146 is back on its OEM brown leather now. Strangely, I’ve been wearing my Casio more since having to work in the garden - and it’s proving very versatile down the gym too.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Probably these. . .

Difficult choice, but I'll go with these, today:

IWC Aquatimer 812AD

IWC Ocean Bund

Omega Speedmaster Auto

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    @stanford that aquatimer 812AD is a peach.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Probably these. . .

I do love a good example of those and that one looks excellent!

I must admit, I've been giving this some thought over the last 3 or 4 days and have failed miserably to identify my 3 favourites.

I have to say, though, that my Sinn Arktis is my number 1.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 13th April 2023 at 11:16.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    @stanford that aquatimer 812AD is a peach.
    Thanks - on one level it's just another super compressor, but it is a special one to me

Craftsman
    Oh, some gorgeous watches on show in this thread.

Here's my 3:

1. Rolex Explorer 1016 - My Grail
    2. CWC SBS - A 40th present from my mum and dad
    3. Casio Marlin - So much watch for the money and a gorgeous blue too.

Damn you dust!