closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A 2+ years SOTC!

A 2+ years SOTC!

Blimey, has it really been that long?

Well, I suppose the main change is that all of my higher end, slightly more esoteric watches have been moved on. That didn't happen by choice, but I just found the the ever increasing costs and requirements of insurance for (generally speaking) anything with a list price over £15k was completely unpalatable. I'd already had to install a safe and an intruder alarm, and was paying £2k per annum in premiums. Then I was advised that I'd need to implement annual strap inspections by a competent person, and that was the final straw.

Consequently (after starting a thread about it some time ago) I moved some beautiful watches on from the likes of AL&S, VC and AP. At the same time I also questioned my motive in owning them in the first place and concluded that I'd feel happier not having to justify ownership of statement pieces to myself. Accordingly, what follows in terms of the current collection is a little more mundane than it was, but certainly not mundane of itself. Given my trials and tribulations since COVID hit us, I consider myself lucky to own the lovely assortment of watches I'm left with, and feel no need to elicit "ooohs" and aaahs" on the basis that any of them are inherently significant

2021 Zenith Chronomaster Sport

2022 Rolex Datejust 41 126334

2016 Rolex GMT Master II 116710BLNR

1981 Rolex Submariner 5513

2020 Rolex Submariner 116613LN

2021 Rolex Explorer 124270

2014 Panerai PAM512

2020 Ulysse Nardin Executive Dual Time

2021 Omega Speedmaster Professional

2023 Seiko Prospex SLA021J1

1979 Cabot Watch Company W10

Casio GW-5000U and Riseman GW-9200-1

So, there you go... probably no real standouts, and ideally it would be a little less Rolex-centric (that said, I really like and appreciate all of them, so doubt that I'll move any of them on). The UN filled a hole there'd been for a while, for something slightly less mainstream whilst still being a brand with solid heritage and a tendency to innovate.

I still want four or five watches now and none of them are Rolex: a Cartier Ballon Bleu, a green dialled GO Panomatic Lunar or PanoInverse, a blue or green-dialled IWC pilot chrono on bracelet and a turquoise dialled Bulgari Octa.

Anyway, I’m the meantime I hope you enjoy looking at the images, if nothing else. Oh, and have a lovely Easter, everyone.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th November 2023 at 13:32.

Master
    Tony, it’s your 5513, Pam 512 and the Speedmaster that are the stand out pieces in your collection. That’s just my opinion, of course��. Happy Easter to you.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Tony, it’s your 5513, Pam 512 and the Speedmaster that are the stand out pieces in your collection. That’s just my opinion, of course😉. Happy Easter to you.
    With you on the first two for sure... I like to own a Speedy but I do struggle to really bond with them (yes,even yours ).

I always seem to recall a Glashutte and VC in your collection whenever you post a SOTC so it seems strange not to see either of them here. I do remember reading somewhere that the UN is the most user friendly duel time watch out there.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I always seem to recall a Glashutte and VC in your collection whenever you post a SOTC so it seems strange not to see either of them here. I do remember reading somewhere that the UN is the most user friendly duel time watch out there.
    Yes, the Glashutte in particular I'd had for 10+ years, but I wore it rarely (it's now been matched up with it's bracelet by the new owner and looks the dog's). You're right about the UN, too - fantastic movement.

Happt Easter. A great bunch. On fence about the UN. Wonderful photography as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Happy Easter. A great bunch. On fence about the UN. Wonderful photography as usual.
    Thanks Raj. The UN will do perfectly when I want to wear something less mainstream, and the quality is superb.

Thats a beautiful collection, some of those choices really resonate for me (enough that I'm hopefully getting one next week!). I didn't expect the Datejust to look as stunning as it actually does.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Thats a beautiful collection, some of those choices really resonate for me (enough that I'm hopefully getting one next week!). I didn't expect the Datejust to look as stunning as it actually does.
    Thank you, and yes - the DJ is a stunner.

By the way, I hope you get the answers/advice you're after on your very thoughtful thread in the G&D.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th April 2023 at 14:47.

Master
    That’s a fantastic collection, and there’s not one of them I wouldn’t want to own. While the watches you’ve recently moved on were horologically speaking as good as it gets, for me they were a little to “dressy” and i’d be scared of hurting them if i took them out of their box! Give me a well designed and made tool/sports watch any day.
    Stand outs for me are the Zenith and two tone sub.

Awesome collection. I’ve been sniffing around a PAM512 myself, it ticks all the boxes, but might be a bit too similar to my 590 to justify. :/
    I love that 1981 Sub too, a “proper” Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thasnk you, and yes - the DJ is a stunner.

By the way, I hope you get the answers/advice you're after on your very thoughtful thread in the G&D.
    Thanks for your kind words!

I read once on this forum, years ago, someone saying something to the effect "no one does a blue dial like Rolex" and I thought it was rubbish...until I saw one and completely understood what they meant. This picture, in normal daylight (well, for Britain) instantly transports me back to that moment I actually saw one. Love the way the finishings on the metal play with the light too. The DJ is a watch I once considered redundant, but have done the biggest 180 on. Hope you never part with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    That’s a fantastic collection, and there’s not one of them I wouldn’t want to own. While the watches you’ve recently moved on were horologically speaking as good as it gets, for me they were a little to “dressy” and i’d be scared of hurting them if i took them out of their box! Give me a well designed and made tool/sports watch any day.
    Stand outs for me are the Zenith and two tone sub.
    Thanks - I love those two as well. The Zenith also ended my thoughts about paying stupid money for a Daytona.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Awesome collection. I’ve been sniffing around a PAM512 myself, it ticks all the boxes, but might be a bit too similar to my 590 to justify. :/
    I love that 1981 Sub too, a “proper” Rolex.
    Again, good choices as both of those are absolutely core to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Thanks for your kind words!

I read once on this forum, years ago, someone saying something to the effect "no one does a blue dial like Rolex" and I thought it was rubbish...until I saw one and completely understood what they meant. This picture, in normal daylight (well, for Britain) instantly transports me back to that moment I actually saw one. Love the way the finishings on the metal play with the light too. The DJ is a watch I once considered redundant, but have done the biggest 180 on. Hope you never part with it!
    Agree regarding Rolex and their blue dials. This one will never be sold (and could easily suffice as an only watch, in fact). Worth noting that it's actually 40mm (or, I think, 39.8mm) as opposed to 41mm, too!

Superb photos of a wonderful collection

That’s a really nice collection Tony. I’ve thought long and hard about the Zenith myself and to be honest, there’s very little (nothing really) that should stop me getting one. Traditionally, I have always preferred the smooth bezel and oyster on the datejust but lately your exact combination has been my favourite combination. You’ve left yourself with a lovely selection.

Blog Entries
    Tony. Sad you had to drop your high end pieces for the sake of insurance, but there is no fun if you can’t enjoy wearing your watches.

So glad the Zenith is working out for you! I do miss it. For me the DJ41 blue is a stand out in that format. One day I may aim for a 36 as I’m just not sure the 41 would be a little big? I seem to be tending toward slightly smaller dialled watches.

Very good selection all round. Is it that long since the last??

best wishes. Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Journeyman
    Great pics and nice collection

Master
    Never thought I would like a TT sub,until now. Love the 5513 too.

Great collection and gorgeous photos.

Strap inspections though... what a joke!

Craftsman
    Blimey, is it that long?

Well, I suppose the main change is that all of my higher end, slightly more esoteric watches have been moved on. That didn't happen by choice, but I just found the the ever increasing costs and requirements of insurance for (generally speaking) anything with a list price over £15k was completely unpalatable. I'd already had to install a safe and an intruder alarm, and was paying £2k per annum in premiums. Then I was advised that I'd need to implement annual strap inspections by a competent person, and that was the final straw.
    That’s a nice collection you have. Whilst not owning anything as valuable or esoteric as you, I’ve also noticed the need for an annual inspection for anything valued >£4k with my insurance policy, which I find a little galling.

Something else came to mind thinking of your previous SOTC threads, I know you have had to get rid of some of your higher end stuff which is a shame but what directed you to a more Rolex heavy collection this time? I seem to remember you always having a pretty mixed collection which was always interesting to see.

Have you not considered one of the independent watchmakers in your collection? (Hentschel, Lundis Bleus, Sartory etc…)

Happy Easter Tony, fantastic photography as usual, and a collection that is closely aligned with my own tastes.

I’ve asked myself should I ever move onto something from the Trinity + ALS? I’ve come to the conclusion that I like straightforward sports watches. At the trinity level it’s often mechanical simplicity, but a lot of jewellery, which isn’t me, but I would also be paranoid about scuffs and damage. I’m happier where I am now, which is roughly where you are too.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II View Post
    Superb photos of a wonderful collection
    Much appreciated, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    That’s a really nice collection Tony. I’ve thought long and hard about the Zenith myself and to be honest, there’s very little (nothing really) that should stop me getting one. Traditionally, I have always preferred the smooth bezel and oyster on the datejust but lately your exact combination has been my favourite combination. You’ve left yourself with a lovely selection.
    Muchos gracias, Greg... same taste in watches and same taste in motorbikes. Get the Zenith.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Tony. Sad you had to drop your high end pieces for the sake of insurance, but there is no fun if you can’t enjoy wearing your watches.

So glad the Zenith is working out for you! I do miss it. For me the DJ41 blue is a stand out in that format. One day I may aim for a 36 as I’m just not sure the 41 would be a little big? I seem to be tending toward slightly smaller dialled watches.

Very good selection all round. Is it that long since the last??

best wishes. Martyn.
    Nearly two and a half years, Martin. Lots of water under the bridge since then.

Quote Originally Posted by goody View Post
    Great pics and nice collection
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Never thought I would like a TT sub,until now. Love the 5513 too.
    I know, right?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Great collection and gorgeous photos.

Strap inspections though... what a joke!
    Thank you very much. Yes, it's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    That’s a nice collection you have. Whilst not owning anything as valuable or esoteric as you, I’ve also noticed the need for an annual inspection for anything valued >£4k with my insurance policy, which I find a little galling.
    Blmey, a £4k threshold???

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Something else came to mind thinking of your previous SOTC threads, I know you have had to get rid of some of your higher end stuff which is a shame but what directed you to a more Rolex heavy collection this time? I seem to remember you always having a pretty mixed collection which was always interesting to see.

Have you not considered one of the independent watchmakers in your collection? (Hentschel, Lundis Bleus, Sartory etc…)
    Nothing really directed me towards Rolex - I've always enjoyed their watches and it just so happens I wanted all of them as long term keepers. If its any consolation I only want four watches now and none of them are Rolex: a Cartier Ballon Bleu, a green dialled GO Panomatic Lunar or PanoInverse, a blue or green-dialled IWC pilot chrono on bracelet and a turquoise dialled Bulgari Octa.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Happy Easter Tony, fantastic photography as usual, and a collection that is closely aligned with my own tastes.

I’ve asked myself should I ever move onto something from the Trinity + ALS? I’ve come to the conclusion that I like straightforward sports watches. At the trinity level it’s often mechanical simplicity, but a lot of jewellery, which isn’t me, but I would also be paranoid about scuffs and damage. I’m happier where I am now, which is roughly where you are too.

D
    I know what you mean about the dressier "jewellery" type of watch. I do like them, though, and am happy wearing that kind of thing casually.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th November 2023 at 13:39.

Very nice.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Lovely collection LTF.
    Certainly looks like something for every occasion there. Great pictures too!

Since you "feel no need to elicit "ooohs" and aaahs" [that Zenith tho'...] all I'll say is your photography is of an order that makes me want to try watches I don't even like, which given I also can't afford them, is quite annoying... Cut it out.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Lovely collection LTF.
    Certainly looks like something for every occasion there. Great pictures too!
    Thanks both.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Since you "feel no need to elicit "ooohs" and aaahs" [that Zenith tho'...] all I'll say is your photography is of an order that makes me want to try watches I don't even like, which given I also can't afford them, is quite annoying... Cut it out.
    I’ll take that, thank you… I have been accused of being an enabler once or twice!

Great collection my friend, I do my best to keep up with you.

I have always enjoyed seeing the ebb and flow of your collection over the years Tony. Thank you for sharing this and taking the time and posting some wonderful photo's.

The Zenith is just lush.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Really nice collection and photos. The CWC looks fantastic.

Master
    Great collection, lovely mix of styles. Totally get insurance being a deterrent to the more £££ items. Similar with me the alarms checks, bracelet checks, valuations certificates…not too mention the premiums just took the fun out of it.

Have you tried the IWC on before? I’ve got it on the leather strap and have a couple of extra rubber straps which can be easily swapped over in seconds…it’s one of my favourite watches. I’m sure you’d love it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Definitely some crackers there and also enough variation to scratch most watch related itches.

I’m a simple man so the 5513 or the CWC would be my first pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    Great collection my friend, I do my best to keep up with you.
    LOLZ! Thanks Jocke, and hope all's well in your world.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I have always enjoyed seeing the ebb and flow of your collection over the years Tony. Thank you for sharing this and taking the time and posting some wonderful photo's.

The Zenith is just lush.
    Thanks mate. Agree about the Zenith although I ruined the image by not setting the hands.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    Really nice collection and photos. The CWC looks fantastic.
    Thanks, and yes - the CWC (issued) is a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Great collection, lovely mix of styles. Totally get insurance being a deterrent to the more £££ items. Similar with me the alarms checks, bracelet checks, valuations certificates…not too mention the premiums just took the fun out of it.

Have you tried the IWC on before? I’ve got it on the leather strap and have a couple of extra rubber straps which can be easily swapped over in seconds…it’s one of my favourite watches. I’m sure you’d love it to.
    Thanks Mike, and yes I have. I fact, I had a deal lined up to buy the watch I want a few weeks ago, and then had to cancel having written off my car the day before I was going to pick it up

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Definitely some crackers there and also enough variation to scratch most watch related itches.

I’m a simple man so the 5513 or the CWC would be my first pics.
    They'd make a lovely vintage pair, as it happens.

Master
    Much appreciated, thank you.

Muchos gracias, Greg... same taste in watches and same taste in motorbikes. Get the Zenith.

Nearly two and a half years, Martin. Lots of water under the bridge since then.

Cheers.

I know, right?

Thank you very much. Yes, it's ridiculous.

Blmey, a £4k threshold???

Nothing really directed me towards Rolex - I've always enjoyed their watches and it just so happens I wanted all of them as long term keepers. If its any consolation I only want four watches now and none of them are Rolex: a Cartier Ballon Bleu, a green dialled GO Panomatic Lunar, a blue-dialled IWC pilot chrono on bracelet and a turquoise dialled Bulgari Octa.

I know what you mean about the dressier "jewellery" type of watch. I do like them, though, and am happy wearing that kind of thing casually.
    Very nice collection we have some similar tastes, I have the zenith and an iwc pilot Chrono 41 in blue.

I haven't seen the turquoise bvlgari could you share a pic?

Master
    Lovely collection and great pics, as always. I think you could post pics of watches I don't want and I'd think they "why don't I get one of those?".

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Very nice collection we have some similar tastes, I have the zenith and an iwc pilot Chrono 41 in blue.

I haven't seen the turquoise bvlgari could you share a pic?
    Thanks, and do seem to.

The Octo is a strange one, as when I was in Costa Adeje last summer I tried one on in Ideal Joyeros with a turquoise hobnail dial... now I can't see it anywhere. It absolutely wasn't blue or green so I'm now a bit confused (and wish I'd bought it there and then).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th April 2023 at 07:15.

Master
    Thanks, and do seem to.

Ther Octo is a strange one, as when I was in Costa Adeje last summer I tried one on in Ideal Joyeros with a turquoise hobnail dial... now I can't see it anywhere. It absolutely wasn't blue or green so I'm now a bit confused (and wish I'd bought it there and then).
    Maybe a boutique edition? Sounds lovely anyway, I've long flirted with getting an octo

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Maybe a boutique edition? Sounds lovely anyway, I've long flirted with getting an octo
    Yes, could be. I wouldn't throw this one out of bed either, though.

Master
    Great photography of the watches, really shows them off well.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice stash Tony!
    What strap is on the Zenith?

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Great photography of the watches, really shows them off well.
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Nice stash Tony!
    What strap is on the Zenith?
    Thank you. It’s the OEM alternative to the bracelet (although I do have that too, wrapped and unworn).

Always amazed at how nice the blue DJ41 is when I see real world pictures. Lovely looking watch.

Craftsman
    Really good photographs.

Your Rolex Explorer shot really made me wish I hadn't let mine go.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Always amazed at how nice the blue DJ41 is when I see real world pictures. Lovely looking watch.
    Agreed. It's immediately become one of the core collection that'll be with me for good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    Really good photographs.

Your Rolex Explorer shot really made me wish I hadn't let mine go.
    Thanks very much.

Love the Datejust Tony, the Zenith looks great as well. Nice collection

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk