closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car price error

Master

Car price error

I agreed on a very competitive price on a pre reg car and paid a deposit. They rang back today to say that pricing is wrong and want 2k more…
    I wonder where I stand on this

Thanks

Master
    Surely if you’ve paid a deposit then the deal is done at that price?

If you've got documentation showing the original price, your deposit and the outstanding balance, you may be able to argue your case.

If not then get your deposit back and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    I agreed on a very competitive price on a pre reg car and paid a deposit. They rang back today to say that pricing is wrong and want 2k more…
    I wonder where I stand on this

Thanks
    If you haven’t had, signed and sent back the order form (with their T&C’s) then you’re out of luck Tim.

Master
    Blog Entries
    IMO the deposit is just to secure the new car slot but that said it is very poor practice if it was not made clear to you that the price couldnt be guaranteed. If the deposit is not refundable then you may have a stronger case but I suspect they will have taken other deposits so will happily refund and tell another buyer they can source their car earlier? If it is a big firm then ring their head office to query/ poor service etc

Master
    If you accepted their offer of a final price and paid a securing deposit as evidence of good faith then you have a legally enforceable contract.

The paper work that you signed is the contract and you need to read through it. If it says that the quoted price is liable to change for any reason whatsoever then that's the end of it and they can change the price. If there is no such clause then you have them over a barrel.

So read the contract and proceed from there.

Master
    Had it with the wife's last car she ordered it then they said it would be around £5k more due to a face-lift, I'd have paid it but the wife told them to shove it, they reluctantly refunded the deposit, and cited they would easily sell the car when it arrived.
    The wife went elsewhere and bought another make.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk

They might have an “errors and omissions excepted” clause in the contract which could give them a get out.

Was it massively under market value? A £2k difference might be quite a lot percentage wise dependent on the price of the car.

Master
    The price is on their website and I paid a deposit to secure it. Unfortunately, a contract has not been drawn up and the extra 2k is about 8% of the purchase price, which already has a saving on it. That is one reason why I go for it but I might be out of luck by the sound of things

If money has changed hands you have a contract

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    The price is on their website and I paid a deposit to secure it. Unfortunately, a contract has not been drawn up and the extra 2k is about 8% of the purchase price, which already has a saving on it. That is one reason why I go for it but I might be out of luck by the sound of things
    No idea re legality but I would screenshot that website asap.

Blog Entries
    They're dishonest from the word 'go'. If you win this, you're getting fleeced at a service etc. Walk away (after you got your money back).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    If money has changed hands you have a contract
    True but the contract may have get out clauses. The "contract" appears to be their website and who knows how valid it is.

I would say thieuster has summarised it simply and effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    True but the contract may have get out clauses. The "contract" appears to be their website and who knows how valid it is.

I would say thieuster has summarised it simply and effectively.
    Agreed but most judges would see foreground Ts & Cs ie page 1, as the contract, not some line on page 8 paragraph 17 line 6,

Funnily enough when I bought my last car it was a year newer than they thought, they still stood by the agreed price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    They're dishonest from the word 'go'. If you win this, you're getting fleeced at a service etc. Walk away (after you got your money back).
    Yep.

Name and shame as well please.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Not really as there is no obligation on the OP to take his car back to this same garage for servicing.