closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A question for the Rolex experts

A question for the Rolex experts

So I was lounging around last night window-shopping for watches online (as some of you may be familiar with) and I stumbled upon this picture.

Did some reverse image searching and found an ad for one such watch here: https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...34/item/242440

My question is, is that a gloss dial or a sunburst? As far as I know the 116000 comes in a number of dials, the solid colours tend to be sunburst ones - but is it just me or does that look glossy/mirror finished? Is this essentially a blue-dialled Explorer I?

It seems hard to find any info for, since Google keeps turning up results for the newer OP releases with the vibrant colour dials.

Just extremely curious! If anyone can help that'd put my mind to rest for the weekend

Master
    Blog Entries
    To me it looks a solid gloss but WF photos aren't the best. I would call them and they should be able to confirm, and you have a return option if it's not what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    To me it looks a solid gloss but WF photos aren't the best. I would call them and they should be able to confirm, and you have a return option if it's not what you want.
    Oh I'm not buying, just window shopping and got curious. Please don't enable me, I've already blown the watch budget only just last week...oh okay then, maybe...

A subtlety I missed earlier is that the Explorer I comes with a totally flat bezel, looks like this particular OP (and probably all others) come with a slightly domed one. So not a "blue Exp 1" then, but still very curious about the dial finish.

Master
    I beleived it to be sunburst but that photos makes me doubt it. However the dial is slightly larger and lugs fatter on the 116000 than the explorer.

They did these in a couple of difference sizes - 26mm, 34mm and 36mm I think. Pretty sure Walkerwek had one.

Some 2017 AD window pics when I was trying to get my friend to buy the 36mm. Pretty sure it’s gloss and not sunburst.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There's a 116000 blue watchdox review on YouTube, that one looks sunburst so perhaps they did both?

The 2016 model I owned had a sunburst blue dial.

I've been digging on and off since posting and I'm no closer to an answer either, if its any consolation. All I find video footage of are sunbursts, but that picture does appear to be gloss.

I think I'm going to have to give in and send an enquiry. I've no intention to buy, but I have to know...

I think it’s just WF image.

The only thing I am aware of that changed on the model is the earlier ones had a thinner handset.

This was mine..

I appreciate the input from everyone. It sounds like we've all seen the sunburst but the picture, as I keep looking at it, I would swear is a gloss dial. Will report back if WF give me a solid answer!

I have never seen a sunburst dial with the explorer style 3,6,9 hour markers.
    I’m not saying they have never made one because as with all things Rolex somewhere, someone has the very watch everyone else claims doesn’t exist!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I realise that it’s not exactly the same as this is the old AirKing, but it is the sunburst dial with the 3, 6, 9 markers. It can look ‘flat’ coloured in some photos too so it’s possible that it exists as the OP version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by the_gazelle View Post

I realise that it’s not exactly the same as this is the old AirKing, but it is the sunburst dial with the 3, 6, 9 markers. It can look ‘flat’ coloured in some photos too so it’s possible that it exists as the OP version?

This is the likeliest scenario in my opinion, of course I had to get this bee in my bonnet before the Easter weekend so I couldn't call them to enquire Email enquiry has been sent though, soon as I get the news I'll share!

And we have our answer...

Good morning,

I hope this email finds you well.

Please be kindly advised the watch you have enquired about had a glossy blue dial.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you need any further assistance.

Kind regards,
    Thanks for playing!

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    And we have our answer...

Thanks for playing!
    Or their interpretation of a glossy blue dial...

Grand Master
    I owned one for a while, sold it in 2020 after owning it less than 12 months. I can’t remember exactly what the dial finish was like, I think it had a very fine sunburst which isn’t obvious unless inspected v. closely. The dial is a glossy finish, that I do remember. The blue 3-6-9 is the best dial option in my opinion but when Rolex replaced the 116000 with the slimmer lugs version of the OP36 (126000) the 3-6-9 blue was discontinued in favour of the same blue colour but with stick batons, still the best dial and a much nicer watch with the slim lugs, but losing the 3-6-9 was a retrograde step.

Latest price for the OP 36 is £5100 and availability is uncertain, I made a casual enquiry last week at the Rolex shop in Leeds and a figure of 18 months was mentioned by the nice lady. I was invited to make an appointment to register my interest........I politely declined!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Or their interpretation of a glossy blue dial...
    Agree. I’d take that email with a pinch of salt and maybe arrange for them to bring it into a store for you to see in person.

If you do buy tell them you have an 8 inch wrist. They steal links.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Agree. I’d take that email with a pinch of salt and maybe arrange for them to bring it into a store for you to see in person.

If you do buy tell them you have an 8 inch wrist. They steal links.
    Yep, same as someone else mentioned I was quick to assume they'd scrutinised it properly - if at all. I'm not really in the market for it, purely curious but should anyone end up buying it please update the grouip!

Master
    I have one of these. The dial is a very subtle blue sunburst texture, definitely not a flat gloss dial.