closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yellow Gold DayDate (for the wife?!) Educate me!

Craftsman

Yellow Gold DayDate (for the wife?!) Educate me!

Been looking for a new watch for the wife, I can get hold of various nice-ish Datejusts and a 34mm seems like a decent upgrade to her traditional steel/white gold 28mm but I then got to thinking (dangerous I know)...

What about a vintage (say 80s to 90s) solid yellow gold DayDate?

OK, 36mm is a little bigger but she really wants some colour and as a long term prospect wouldn't be a bad place to stick £10k for the kids, plus a nice part of a collection. I think the president bracelet can look fairly feminine if it's got the hidden clasp and some of the gold dials don't scream mans watch to me.

Trouble is, I know very little about what to look for? Will probably head down to Hatten Garden next week to try a couple on for size but I think it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    Been looking for a new watch for the wife, I can get hold of various nice-ish Datejusts and a 34mm seems like a decent upgrade to her traditional steel/white gold 28mm but I then got to thinking (dangerous I know)...

What about a vintage (say 80s to 90s) solid yellow gold DayDate?

OK, 36mm is a little bigger but she really wants some colour and as a long term prospect wouldn't be a bad place to stick £10k for the kids, plus a nice part of a collection. I think the president bracelet can look fairly feminine if it's got the hidden clasp and some of the gold dials don't scream mans watch to me.

Trouble is, I know very little about what to look for? Will probably head down to Hatten Garden next week to try a couple on for size but I think it could work.
    Hi hope your well

The 36mm 18238 is a nice size for a lady these days and way more legible than the traditional ladies smaller sizes

Save yourself a trip to London

https://www.miltonaires.com/product/10587

Craftsman
    Ah but that would require a trip to Liverpool ;)

I know 36mm isn't exactly large these days for women, it's just whether it would feel too large after a 28mm-definitely need to try one on.

Interesting listing that particular one though, if I want a quick set date it needs to be a post 1988? Not sure when the small coronet bracelet came in for the president? I take it older ones still have the clunky looking large clasp (1970s maybe?).

Master
    If looknig 80's/90's era I would suggest the 18238 would likely be a better choice than the 18038 as she'll get the double quickset day/date and the case is less chunky than the 18038. Main things to be mindful of with these is over polishing (look for sharp cases and jagged bezels) and bracelet stretch. You should hold the watch horizontally and make sure the bracelet doesn't droop much (if at all).

Master
    Go with her and let her chose, what a woman what's from a watch is totally different from what men want.

If you buy it by yourself, you will be happier than her which isn't what it is supposed to be.

Take her out, treat her to a decent lunch, buy the watch she wants, not what you think she wants.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I think they are super cool on women.

The only thing that is far from cool is the criminality associated. Rollies are highly recognisable and gold ones even more so.

5 years ago, my wife would have been wearing he 36mm TT datejust every day without thinking twice. No longer.

Master
    Include Karate lessons with the watch…

Craftsman
    Watch crime isn't a problem where we live and I know what my wife likes :)

Master
    I suspect you only think you know what she likes. She may like a 36mm TT but it may be too big for yellow gold. Why guess and risk disappointing her when all you have to do is involve her in the selection process.

Master
    36mm is pretty big on a lady imo

my wife has a 26mm solid gold datejust on a president and she wouldnt want a larger watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I suspect you only think you know what she likes. She may like a 36mm TT but it may be too big for yellow gold. Why guess and risk disappointing her when all you have to do is involve her in the selection process.

When the original post I wrote states we will pop down to Hatton Garden to try a couple on, what makes you think she won’t be?

When the original post I wrote states we will pop down to Hatton Garden to try a couple on, what makes you think she won’t be?
    It didn’t say that though. You omitted the royal ‘we’.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It didn’t say that though. You omitted the royal ‘we’.
    Ah, my model comes without the optional removable wrists to take jewellery shopping with you.

Master
    Never mind the waffle, just make sure she gets to chose it and not you.

I think it’s a great idea. I’ve seen many on ladies’ wrists and think they look top drawer.
    Only issue I see is the bracelets;
    1. A lot are stretched, check for droop.
    2. I’m assuming it’ll need shortening more than just removable links, meaning a goldsmith job.
    Then the bracelet will be too short, affecting any resale value.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    I think it’s a great idea. I’ve seen many on ladies’ wrists and think they look top drawer.
    Only issue I see is the bracelets;
    1. A lot are stretched, check for droop.
    2. I’m assuming it’ll need shortening more than just removable links, meaning a goldsmith job.
    Then the bracelet will be too short, affecting any resale value.
    Excellent heads up, I have noticed some variations in bracelet droop in photos of the ones I've looked at and was already aware that needed consideration but I wasn't aware there was limitations on bracelet sizing-thanks for that.

She's not exactly a unit but I think she can wear one of my subs (not that she likes to) with the bracelet reduced by one link so hopefully she'll be fine-I'll have to measure her datejusts bracelet.

I'm trying not to show her this;
    https://www.miltonaires.com/product/4284

Mainly as it's more than I'd want to spend but I suspect she'd love it, even with the dark dial.

36mm Day-Date works well for Jennifer Aniston.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    36mm Day-Date works well for Jennifer Aniston.

More here;
    https://perfectrolex.io/female-celeb...rolex-watches/

Master
    Excellent heads up, I have noticed some variations in bracelet droop in photos of the ones I've looked at and was already aware that needed consideration but I wasn't aware there was limitations on bracelet sizing-thanks for that.

She's not exactly a unit but I think she can wear one of my subs (not that she likes to) with the bracelet reduced by one link so hopefully she'll be fine-I'll have to measure her datejusts bracelet.

I'm trying not to show her this;
    https://www.miltonaires.com/product/4284

Mainly as it's more than I'd want to spend but I suspect she'd love it, even with the dark dial.
    I have fairly skinny 6 3/4 inch wrists and wear my 18038 with two further removable screw links so unless her wrist is smaller than 6 inch's she should be fine.

I would go for a 6 digit reference rather than the 5. The 6 digit comes with a heavy weight bracelet hinge over the 5 which really does add to the feel and quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    I would go for a 6 digit reference rather than the 5. The 6 digit comes with a heavy weight bracelet hinge over the 5 which really does add to the feel and quality.

The six series is way more blingy by a broad mile and it screams I AM WEARING A ROLEX. The simple question is would you consider it safe for any woman to wear it. The 5 series may still be flash but to a much lesser degree.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The six series is way more blingy by a broad mile and it screams I AM WEARING A ROLEX. The simple question is would you consider it safe for any woman to wear it.
    Such a shame some people have to even consider this, however as discussed up thread we don’t.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post

That’s not quite correct.

The first of the six-digit (1182xx) series Day-Dates which began with Pxxxxxx case numbers were correctly fitted with the old President 83858 bracelet from the five-digit (182xx) series.

It was only a year or two later that the upgraded 83208 President with sturdier clasp was quietly introduced.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 5th April 2023 at 23:11.