closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex BLRO v skydweller

Master

Rolex BLRO v skydweller

Obviously subjective but battling whether to shift my BLRO on for a SS skydweller. I’ve had the BLRO since new 2 years ago now, so perhaps I’m just getting a bit bored of it but can’t get the thought of a sky dweller out my mind. The technical aspect of the sky dweller is quite appealing. The sky dweller can only be bought if the BLRO goes, so decision time! Also have a two tone DJ41 black dial so thinking if that has too much of an overlap with the skydweller.

Thoughts and comments please.

Thanks
    Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I personally would have the skydweller over the BLRO. But then comparing it to a DJ41, would depend on the bracelet and face colour.

Ditch the DJ, save up, buy the Sky Dweller, keep the BLRO.

Don't do it, have both, BLNR since '19 and SkyD since '20

I'd have the BLNR over the SkyD any day. Its more comfortable, versatile and legible. A clear winner for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Sage advice IMHO

BLRO a classic, DJ nice but Sky Dweller will fill its place well and probably easier to buy another DJ than a BLRO if you miss it.

Sky Dweller is a fabulous piece the 9001 movement is a masterpiece and the bezel operation is quite an achievement, it is a big thing though compared to DJ or GMT but wears it well.

Master
    This option had crossed my mind…but the gap between the two isn’t insignificant so to save would take too long…and I’m not that patient when it comes to watches!

Have you tried on a SkyDweller? Anyone you can borrow one from for an afternoon?

It depends on the dial of the SkyDweller, I wouldn't for a white, but I might for the other two.

I'm guessing from the price comment you'd be buying grey?

After having recently tried a SkyDweller on jubilee with blue dial it has become my want to have watch. I had a BLRO a few years ago and given the option now I'd definitely have the Sky-Dweller over it. Prices on the grey marked have dropped drastically too so should you not manage to get on the list at an AD there are around and about at CIRCA £19k.

I like my symmetry. I'm not sure if I could get used to that dial. In my mind I find myself pushing the GMT dial into the centre. Finishing the job by moving the marker into the inner part of the wheel to allow the room.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Have you tried on a SkyDweller? Anyone you can borrow one from for an afternoon?

It depends on the dial of the SkyDweller, I wouldn't for a white, but I might for the other two.

I’ve tried one on for a few times at an AD, unfortunately don’t have access to one for an extended period of time. I don’t think the fit/size will be an issue though.

Yep, unlikely I could get one reflectively quick via and AD so would go grey. Probably black dial which I thought was cheaper than £19k.

Although put the BLRO back on its jubilee bracelet and quite liking it…decisions decisions.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

I absolutely love mine

Saw this one. Looked a good price?

https://www.trilogyjewellers.com/wat...x-skydweller-6

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Saw that too…no papers though.

Definitely this ^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

The White dial Skydweller really is vastly underrated. In sunlight and on bright days it looks amazing.

And don’t forget that in the Rolesor Skydweller offerings you’ve got 4 dials to choose from now. I’ve got the Blue but will be getting the new Mint Green too I hope.

Hi Mike, hope you're well. I take it you don't still have my Explorer? :-). I think we met up at your office a few days before the first lockdown for that - time flies!

To comment on your question - Sky Dweller is quite a big, thick watch and you certainly know you have it on. Wears quite a bit bigger than the BLRO which in turn wears (and is) a bit bigger than the DJ41. I love the annual calendar complication and the technical aspects of the watch but as mentioned above, it's not as legible as the other two in day to day use.

I'd agree that BLRO is a classic watch and you may regret moving it on. In as much as it's safe to do so these days, it can be worn with anything, any time and fit in. I think of the Sky Dweller more as a special occasions watch and it does feel very special.

The Sky D and DJ41 can look a little similar from a distance depending on spec (a DJ with a smooth bezel and jubilee looks quite different to a Sky D on oyster though) but you wouldn't mistake one for the other up close - the Sky D is much more imposing (but less comfortable on the wrist...). That said, to 99% of people, all Rolex look the same anyway!

As ever, it all comes down to personal preference - I honestly couldn't choose between the BLRO and the Sky D. They're both fabulous watches but quite different to own and to wear. It's a tough decision to make (but a champagne problem). Good luck!

Master

Rolex BLRO v skydweller

Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    Hi Mike, hope you're well. I take it you don't still have my Explorer? :-). I think we met up at your office a few days before the first lockdown for that - time flies!

To comment on your question - Sky Dweller is quite a big, thick watch and you certainly know you have it on. Wears quite a bit bigger than the BLRO which in turn wears (and is) a bit bigger than the DJ41. I love the annual calendar complication and the technical aspects of the watch but as mentioned above, it's not as legible as the other two in day to day use.

I'd agree that BLRO is a classic watch and you may regret moving it on. In as much as it's safe to do so these days, it can be worn with anything, any time and fit in. I think of the Sky Dweller more as a special occasions watch and it does feel very special.

The Sky D and DJ41 can look a little similar from a distance depending on spec (a DJ with a smooth bezel and jubilee looks quite different to a Sky D on oyster though) but you wouldn't mistake one for the other up close - the Sky D is much more imposing (but less comfortable on the wrist...). That said, to 99% of people, all Rolex look the same anyway!

As ever, it all comes down to personal preference - I honestly couldn't choose between the BLRO and the Sky D. They're both fabulous watches but quite different to own and to wear. It's a tough decision to make (but a champagne problem). Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post

Hey, yep, I remember now, the explorer is long gone though!

Thanks for your views certainly good for thought. Been wearing the BLRO today and have decided it’s not going anyway, so that leaves the DJ potentially on the chopping block, just got to think if it’s worth the extra c£6k. Seems quite a steep jump for a kinda looking similar watch, although I do want the skydweller. Not yet owned one so would like to give it a try.

I wouldn’t make that trade in a million years. I reckon you’d regret it pretty quickly, Mike.

Blog Entries
    Michael - I would see if you can try the SkyDweller on before deciding. It's rather a different watch. Maybe try on a display only model for fit and size? It wears big.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Sage advice IMHO

BLRO a classic, DJ nice but Sky Dweller will fill its place well and probably easier to buy another DJ than a BLRO if you miss it.

Sky Dweller is a fabulous piece the 9001 movement is a masterpiece and the bezel operation is quite an achievement, it is a big thing though compared to DJ or GMT but wears it well.
    9002 now.

Master
    Got to be a Skydweller all day long.

Nice options, but I think I'd keep the BLRO personally.

Master

Does this help ?

Get both !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post

Does this help ?

Get both !
    That’s not helping!

Ooh, damn you!

I have an LV at the AD waiting for me to pick up, but looking at that I may ask if they can replace it for the SD

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post

Does this help ?

Get both !

Master

Rolex BLRO v skydweller

Just to close this topic out, had the opportunity to try the skydweller for a bit longer today in various guises, and as nice as they are don’t think my wrist is large enough to pull it off. Got the BLRO on today so was able to directly compare to the SkyD, the pepsi isn’t going anywhere! Will try and be content with what I have!

Interesting on the difference in wearability, as they don't look that different in size from the above photo (the hair might confuse matters though) - so possibly more depth than 2-d size differences.

Master
    I remember trying on the Sky and was pleasantly surprised that it was wearable. I have an average wrist size I think of around 6 3/4 inches.

However, the BLRO is a very special watch. Not an easy decision to make if it is an either or.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Interesting on the difference in wearability, as they don't look that different in size from the above photo (the hair might confuse matters though) - so possibly more depth than 2-d size differences.
    It’s quite a chunky watch (well to me anyways), and the bracelet is noticeable larger than the BLROs. Perhaps the size difference was exaggerated by the back to back comparison to the BLRO, but wearing the SkyD as nice as it is didn’t feel the urge to buy it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I am not shaving my arms for your convenience !