closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A smile over a morning cuppa.

A smile over a morning cuppa.

A thread for stories that have made you smile over your early brew, this one about the English Electric Lightning did it for me today.

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/socie...LJVyGz5gnGGKDg
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    A thread for stories that have made you smile over your early brew, this one about the English Electric Lightning did it for me today.

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/socie...LJVyGz5gnGGKDg
    Many thanks for drawing my attention to this article. Brilliant!!
    Although the dateline on the original is 1st April, I researched further and am now of the opinion that it is NOT an April Fool prank.
    Last edited by unclealec; 1st April 2023 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Many thanks for drawing my attention to this artice. Brilliant!!
    Although the dateline on the original is 1st April, I researched further and am now of the opinion that it is NOT an April Fool prank.
    A sign I suppose of me getting older in that the significance of the day hadn't occurred to me, glad you enjoyed it, I particularly liked the comment of one pilot
    “I was in full control right up to releasing the handbrake”.

Talking of handbrakes, 150 seconds after the release of them the EE Lightning was at a height of over 7 miles. Astonishing for that era.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that OP - it reminded me of when Brian Cox took a flight in one https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...nhouse-gas-spt

I enjoyed that, thanks

Master
    Since I am sitting less than a mile from Lyneham I can imagine the issues that may have been caused and where. I suppose he was lucky he wasn't on the runway that basically falls of a large hill.
    I dare say my house saw him "flying" around. Great article.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Since I am sitting less than a mile from Lyneham I can imagine the issues that may have been caused and where. I suppose he was lucky he wasn't on the runway that basically falls of a large hill.
    My old man told me about that story when i was a kid and i never believed it, quite amazing what went on above our heads. He would have dumped it, i guess, somewhere in Bradenstoke?

Thanks, for that very enjoyable. His other article on the Vulcan was good too.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    In his own words:

...A second approach was no better, I had some aspects better, but as the duty runway 25 is on the lip of an escarpment, with a valley floor beyond, my rate of descent took me below runway height and I found myself adding power to get back to the right level. More power also meant more speed and I was trying to get to something like 150 knots for landing, but the uncoordinated attempt was becoming a mess so I abandoned it, took myself away on a very wide circuit of Lyneham and decided to land in the opposite direction. This I thought would give me more time to get the ‘feel’ right and if I made a mess of the landing, I would overrun the runway and just drop (crash) into the valley beyond. In that direction, with a messed up landing, I would have no fear of crashing into Lyneham village...