closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Renault Zoe questions

Renault Zoe questions

Hello All

I'm aware there's a massive thread on electric cars but this is model specific.

My wife has her heart set on a Renault Zoe. Money means we'll likely buy a used but recent example.

I see that some have batteries that are leased -- what does that mean? And what are the pros and cons?

Also, charging: I have a garage with three-pin mains sockets. The car will be on the drive outside but I can run a cable under the garage door. Can I charge it from the mains or should I get a charging port / special socket fitted?

Thanks all -- tz-uk really is the place that knows everything so I have high hopes.
    Last edited by Rev-O; 31st March 2023 at 15:01.

Master
    One with a leased battery will like for like be cheaper than one with a outright battery.

You’ll need to make monthly payments for the lifetime of the car, though there will also be a element of battery warranty.

Given how well batteries are performing personally I would not go with the lease option, as I suspect as the car ages it will become more difficult to sell / trade in the future.

Buying out the lease is a option should you find a ‘unicorn’ car that you must have.

As for charging yes you can use a standard 13a socket, obviously this will be slower than a dedicated domestic charging point.

Master
    My wife has a Zoe, good little car and in theory has a perfectly usable range of up to 250 miles. It is much more adversely impacted by cold weather than some other cars though as there is no heat pump and when the battery is cold, there is no regeneration capability and therefore range is then no more than 150 miles. For pottering about town and other short trips it’s perfect though.
    You may be aware that it scored 0 stars in the last ncap safety tests, I think that’s mainly due to the lack of any safety tech like auto emergency brakes and things like that though rather than it being inherently unsafe.
    We have a dedicated car charging point, but I also run an e-tron so charging that from a granny plug is not really practical.
    Her Zoe is on a company car scheme so I can’t comment on the battery lease

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks chaps. My wife works about 15 miles away so a 30 mile round trip. We’re intending to keep her current petrol car for me to use and for longer trips.

Really appreciate the input.

In addition to the above, the early Zoes had 22kwhr batteries. Later ones had 40!kwhr and the latest have 50 kwhr.

I think (but not 100% sure) that the battery lease option had been dropped by the time the 40kwhr battery models were first produced.

Any with leased battery should say “flex” on the v5c

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    In addition to the above, the early Zoes had 22kwhr batteries. Later ones had 40!kwhr and the latest have 50 kwhr.

I think (but not 100% sure) that the battery lease option had been dropped by the time the 40kwhr battery models were first produced.

Any with leased battery should say “flex” on the v5c
    Thanks. I love my wife but when I tried to talk age, mileage, kWh etc she said she didn't mind as long as it was purple.

I hate to do the gender stereotype thing but honestly. "smh" as my kids say.

That’s a bonus because even the 22kwhr will do her 30 miles a day so you’ll be able to buy her an older, cheaper one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That’s a bonus because even the 22kwhr will do her 30 miles a day so you’ll be able to buy her an older, cheaper one.
    "It's old, small and not much of a goer but at least it's purple" -- I've already got one of those she can use whenever she wants. <aubergine emoji>

Master
    But does it have the range?

I reckon these must be decent. Used as taxis in Lisbon so must be pretty robust

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    But does it have the range?
    Less in the cold.

We have the 50kwh version (2020)

We get 220 miles per charge in the summer and about 140 when it’s around freezing outside.

It’s perfect for us as the other half gets free charging at work.

I managed to convince myself that it’s free (monthly costs around the same as we way paying for diesel.)

Great car, and quite quick around town.

Joe