closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fisher Space Pen

Fisher Space Pen

I’m thinking about buying the original chrome plated AG7, but would like to know from owners how robust the plating is.

I had a Sheaffer pen (a gift) a while ago where the chrome plating flaked off after a few months of use, and so have avoided chrome plated pens since.

At space pen prices I don’t want this to be an issue.

My daily driver! Had one I bought at Kennedy Space Centre in 1980, that's long gone on a mission somewhere so got another a few years ago.

Just checked December 2014 from Amazon (£27.98!), it's still in perfect condition.

I can't remember when I bought my Fisher Bullet, but it was @ £15 so I must have had it a while and I've never had a problem with the chrome.
    F.T.F.A.

Or pick up one of the Kapton Foil LEs, a snip at £800.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Spac...dp/B07QMY6XDW/

The basic chrome cost hasn't gone up by much since 2014, much less than the price of watches. Pricey refills though, £7 each.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 30th March 2023 at 20:30. Reason: Typo

If I remember correctly the pens have a "lifetime guarantee", working for Audi around 1996 I was given an A8 Space pen, I never really used it but looking at it in 2016 I saw that the part of the pen that holds the refill had split, the UK distributor was very helpful and replaced the part by return post.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have 5 on my desk, they are great pens and I’ve found then very robust.

The only thing that degraded on mine was the o-ring that keeps the cap on. It's a few years old now though!

I use mine every day. The plating is fine ant the refills last for ages. Great pen.

My AG7 has been around the world and I, I, I can’t fault it. Bombproof.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Ditto re longevity of these. I have a chrome and a black one. Excellent pens.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

As is usual with this type of thread it's made me want to spend money! :-)
    F.T.F.A.

Bullet chrome here from the 1990s. Only marking of any note on it is the 'Microsoft SQLServer 7.0' engraved on the side.

If you end up going for the Bullet style, you'll likely want to get the clip to go with it. (+£6.50)

Thanks for the replies, I’ll get one then!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    The only thing that degraded on mine was the o-ring that keeps the cap on. It's a few years old now though!
    That happened to one of my well used ones after probably 15 years. You can buy replacements.

Master
    Used and abused several over the years never had an issue with the Chrome, I do tend to lose them fairly often and do got the clip which helps.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    I’m thinking about buying the original chrome plated AG7, but would like to know from owners how robust the plating is.

I had a Sheaffer pen (a gift) a while ago where the chrome plating flaked off after a few months of use, and so have avoided chrome plated pens since.

Had mine since early 80s. Great bit of kit that’s still in good order. Been all over the world with me.

Recommended!

Jim

Craftsman

Pretty rugged.

I carry one in my tool roll, it’s been with me on dozens of (motorbike) enduros, rallies and tours over the past decade. Battered but still usable.

I find the ink a bit sticky, but I’m only using it to amend route notes, not writing War & Peace…

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    My AG7 has been around the world and I, I, I can’t fault it. Bombproof.
    Excellent work

I think Jack Klompus gave Jerry Seinfeld a space pen...nothing but problems!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Here is my lot.

All probably more than 10 years old.

The one laying down is probably 30 years. A corporate freebie from Microsoft.

One of the red ones is heavily chipped as I hold it in my teeth at times.

I've got one in a box somewhere that's never been used. I think it's got British Aerospace on it.
    I know it's still got the paper inside saying official space pen

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I think Jack Klompus gave Jerry Seinfeld a space pen...nothing but problems!
    He did. Then took it back. Then lost it when the Cadillac drove itself into the swamp

Craftsman
    I’ve had my chrome space pen for over 20 years and have carried it in my pocket for the past 4 years with coins, pen knives and all sorts of weird and wonderful things. No sign of the plating wearing away.
    As someone else has said, the only part that has deteriorated is the rubber O ring to keep the cap on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    As someone else has said, the only part that has deteriorated is the rubber O ring to keep the cap on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

https://fisherspacepen.co.uk/product...-pens-fo-ring/

Having went down a few pen rabbit holes in recent years, if you want something which takes a Fisher Space Pen refill and is a tad more artisanal:

https://wingback.co.uk/products/mechanical-pen-steel

And if you like the bullet style, I can also highly recommend this - have had one as my EDC pen for years and is brilliantly robust and durable, develops a great patina (in brass, stainless and DLC also available):

https://www.machine-era.com/products...en-solid-brass

Got mine from eBay but also available from Mukama for UK. Can take Montblanc refills with a simple tweak as outlined by Nick Shabazz:

https://youtu.be/v9AMkHU1g6U
    Last edited by MattMM; 1st April 2023 at 10:46.

I have a bullet version that was a Nat West presentation bought unused from a boot sale years ago for a pound.

It's never needed a refill but I really only use it if I'm doing the crossword in a reclining position - which it is great for.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I have a bullet version that was a Nat West presentation bought unused from a boot sale years ago for a pound.

It's never needed a refill but I really only use it if I'm doing the crossword in a reclining position - which it is great for.
    I have a vision Neil🫣

Had mine forever, still looks new.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    I have a vision Neil﫣
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I've used a space pen for around 20 years absolutely superb but of kit about 5 years ago I treated myself to the clicky version which I find more convenient day to day but the bullet pen still lives in my kit for emergencies ie I've left my clicky one somewhere

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I've used a space pen for around 20 years absolutely superb but of kit about 5 years ago I treated myself to the clicky version which I find more convenient day to day but the bullet pen still lives in my kit for emergencies ie I've left my clicky one somewhere
    +1 for great kit. Does what it says on the tin.

Jim

This short video popped up on Youtube earlier . . .

Last edited by magirus; 12th April 2023 at 11:35.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fascinating. Ta for sharing

Jim

Found it.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Found it.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    That’s nice. Are you keeping it now you’ve unearthed it.

Jim

Here's my AG7 which was purchased from Amazon on 7th March 2013 for the heady price of £37. As you can see after many years of daily use, there are dents and some plating loss especially around the barrel break. But the mechanism is as perfectly clicky as it ever was.

I see they are now about £80, that's too much in my view. I'd go for an SS parker jotter and if you wanted the Fisher refill, pop one in with the included adaptor.

Thanks for this!

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I see they are now about £80, that's too much in my view. I'd go for an SS parker jotter and if you wanted the Fisher refill, pop one in with the included adaptor.
    Thanks. I held off due to price and just ordered the Jotter

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I'd go for an SS parker jotter and if you wanted the Fisher refill, pop one in with the included adaptor.

That's what I use in a few old jotters I keep in my coats/bags so I know I'll always have something that writes with me.

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thanks. I held off due to price and just ordered the Jotter
    A pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That's what I use in a few old jotters I keep in my coats/bags so I know I'll always have something that writes with me.

Yes, that converter is handy to have, and it comes with every refill. I have a number of jotters some have Fisher refills, some Parker ballpoints but most have the excellent Parker .7 Gel refills. They're very smooth but aren't pressurised so don't have the Fisher capabilities.

Journeyman

Fisher Space Pen

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    Having went down a few pen rabbit holes in recent years, if you want something which takes a Fisher Space Pen refill and is a tad more artisanal:

And if you like the bullet style, I can also highly recommend this - have had one as my EDC pen for years and is brilliantly robust and durable, develops a great patina (in brass, stainless and DLC also available):

Got mine from eBay but also available from Mukama for UK. Can take Montblanc refills with a simple tweak as outlined by Nick Shabazz:

I second the machine era pens. I have 4 now in total one of each colour and two stainless. They work really well, are super small and made of proper metal so are heavier than they look. I have Pilot G2s and Frixion in mine. There was a copper one released as a kick starter but have not managed to get my hands on one. Also there is a slightly different model with a clip if you wanted that but as you are looking for a space pen I guess not.
    Last edited by L8_M8; 20th April 2023 at 18:43.

I like to have a half decent pen with me but in the last 20years I seem to have supplied about 25 half decent pens to the wider masses across the power, oil & gas and chemical industries.

This includes 2 Fisher space pens.

These days I have the dual Parker stainless steel Jotter pen and pencil set. You get these for about £16 on Amazon if you watch.

That thing where the fisher refill fits the jotter looks super but I think the jotter refil is pretty ok ?

Thanks for the link to wingback. Ordered a pen for me and a personalised 100ml hip flask as a 50th birthday present for a friend who is difficult to find a gift for.

Do I need a Wingback pen? No. Do I want a Wingback pen? Yes. Sigh......
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Actually Wingback pens are fine just as long as you don’t intend to write with one for more than a few minutes at a time. No pen clip so the stupid thing rolls off any level surface. Ridiculously unbalanced and the milled grip is bloody painful to hold. Save your money!

The clip less thing isn’t too bad imho, have had an Ajoto, a chrome bullet Space Pen and my Machine Era, I tend to just sit them in my portfolio or wedged at the corner of my laptop. You could, of course, just get one of these : https://wingback.co.uk/products/pen-holder-steel

Master
    Blog Entries
    The clip less thing isn’t too bad imho, have had an Ajoto, a chrome bullet Space Pen and my Machine Era, I tend to just sit them in my portfolio or wedged at the corner of my laptop. You could, of course, just get one of these : https://wingback.co.uk/products/pen-holder-steel
    I made my own holder. See post 21.

Carbon tubes in an old pewter match tub.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Actually Wingback pens are fine just as long as you don’t intend to write with one for more than a few minutes at a time. No pen clip so the stupid thing rolls off any level surface. Ridiculously unbalanced and the milled grip is bloody painful to hold. Save your money!
    Thankfully I have attained an age where I've learned to temper my wants and cater for my needs. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    That’s nice. Are you keeping it now you’ve unearthed it.

Jim
    I may be tempted to flog it if you are interested

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    I may be tempted to flog it if you are interested
    Could be ta.

PM me your thoughts please. Thank you

Jim