closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch back from Omega service

Craftsman

Watch back from Omega service

Hi everyone, so I sent a watch to omega for service via goldsmiths and I got it back today finally after almost 5 months. The service receipts they gave me have some repair number but no reference whatsoever to the watch details, serial number.. etc. When I called goldsmiths they said this is all what they can provide. Is this normal? How can I prove the watch has actually been serviced in the future should I decide to move it on?
    Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Did you receive the parts that were replaced?

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Yes I got the parts alongside the service case. Is that suffient? I assumed there would be something linking the serial number to the receipt though or some sort of a service card like other brands.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You should have received an Omega invoice/receipt like the one below detailing the watch model and serial numbers, what work was carried out and the price.

If you didn’t one of 2 things have happened

1) Goldsmiths did the work in-house and never sent it to Omega
    2) It went to Omega and the watch was returned along with invoice/receipt but Goldsmiths have loaded the price and don’t want you to see the price Omega have charged.

Cynical i maybe but it’s not unheard off.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    You should have received an Omega invoice/receipt like the one below detailing the watch model and serial numbers, what work was carried out and the price.

If you didn’t one of 2 things have happened

1) Goldsmiths did the work in-house and never sent it to Omega
    2) It went to Omega and the watch was returned along with invoice/receipt but Goldsmiths have loaded the price and don’t want you to see the price Omega have charged.

Cynical i maybe but it’s not unheard off.

Ok thanks for the info. I will contact Omega directly tomorrow and check what is happening. Goldsmiths were so unhelpful I suspect they are supressing the service information on purpose for some reason. Basically only they can verify that it has been serviced, and I suspect they won't confirm this to a potential new owner with the excuse of privacy laws.

Sounds to be as though they have serviced in-house and that your watch never went back to Omega - hope you get it all sorted to your satisfaction

I had similar lack of detail on a Breitling sent back to their service centre…….. on two occasions.

They seemed genuinely surprised that I would ask for a detailed list of all works carried out and parts renewed. They were similarly bemused the second occasion. I think sometimes their idea of QA stops at the bench.

SydR

I dropped my Omega off, late last year, at the Omega boutique in town.

Got it back with a service case, all the parts replaced and a report on work carried out.

Conversely I dropped off a PP at the AD in town just before the second lockdown. Came back months later with no paperwork at all. The AD did do me a signed letter, on their headed paper, confirming the service had been carried out but that was only after I requested written confirmation.
    Last edited by SydR; 30th March 2023 at 07:39.

Craftsman
    Does sound a little fishy, hope you get it sorted soon.

Master
    Was a typical Omega service price paid?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

SydR

Omega service costs can be found here:-

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/c...ce-information

They appear to have shot up! I paid around £675 for a mechanical chronograph service last November.
    Last edited by SydR; 30th March 2023 at 07:49.

Craftsman
    I had mine in for a warranty repair, where the hour and minute hands had become misaligned - got a letter confirming a 2 year warranty following service, that was it, no detail on what was actually repaired or replaced.

That was a WOS owned Omega boutique

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Omega quoted me £600 and a six month turnaround for a service on a standard three-handed Seamaster 2254.50. So instead I gave it to a local watchmaker before we went on holiday three weeks ago, and now the watch and a receipt for £300 are sitting on my desk as I write - and that includes a replacement mainspring.

The big brands can MAYBE justify their service prices on the grounds of the skill of their watchmakers, the reassurance of going back to the manufacturer, and the benefit to residual value of OEM service paperwork - but only if they provide proper paperwork! And there's no way they can justify the turnaround time at those prices - who pays double to be without their watch for half the year?

I have used Breitling UK for servicing though and they were much better - proper service paperwork with serial number and list of works.

I sent a Speedy off for a warranty service through Goldsmiths recently - it was just running a bit faster than I was happy with on a nearly new watch. In fact, I just asked for a regulation but was given a full service instead. I was given exactly the same paperwork that OP described (this was through the Brent Cross branch).

I did challenge it, but was reassured that it was normal practice and assumed in the end it was due to it being a warranty job (happy with that, as I was only expecting a regulation as I was assured that the Goldsmiths receipt was also indicative of a brand new 2-year warranty). It makes sense that it might mean the work was done in-house which, again, I have no issue with.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wrists View Post
    Omega quoted me £600 and a six month turnaround for a service on a standard three-handed Seamaster 2254.50. So instead I gave it to a local watchmaker before we went on holiday three weeks ago, and now the watch and a receipt for £300 are sitting on my desk as I write - and that includes a replacement mainspring.
    £600 is a crazy price to service a very straightforward watch. The co-axial versions are a bit more challenging and are more likely to need parts, but the 1120 (aka ETA 2892) is v. straightforward. As for fitting a new mainspring, I usually swap the whole mainspring/barrel assembly which only costs around £25. The case should have new seals fitted to the crown, He crown, He valve and caseback but they're standard O rings at £1-£2 each. Omega will change the glass seal but in my experience the seal doesn`t deteriorate or degrade and can be left alone. Omega also tend to fit new hands even though there's nothing wrong with the old ones and they won't get marked if removed carefully.

The lack of transparency regarding what has and hasn't been done seems to be normal thesedays, the process is shrouded in mystique. In my opinion the customer should know exactly what's been done and why.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone for your input. I called Omega customer services and explained what happened. They sent me a copy of the invoice to my email address. The invoice was in the AD 's name, but it had my watch's serial number and details of work being carried out. So This looks to be sorted now.

Lesson learnt, for next time, either service it directly with the manufacturer, or try to hold on to the receipt the AD provides while the watch is being serviced. As this had all the watch info (serial number, work to be done..etc) but they took it off me when I went to collect this watch and gave me a generic receipt that just has "watch repair" written on it, without mentioning the brand or anything.

I always send my watch to the manufacturer's service centre directly....Never ever send it via AD.

Master
    Good result and peace of mind!

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by poko View Post
    I always send my watch to the manufacturer's service centre directly....Never ever send it via AD.
    The trouble with this is that watches have increased hugely in value but the insurance limit offered by postal services have not.
    I would be unhappy to send in say a £12000 watch with an insurance guarantee of £2500.

Quote Originally Posted by RamiR View Post
    ... Lesson learnt, for next time, either service it directly with the manufacturer, or try to hold on to the receipt the AD provides while the watch is being serviced. As this had all the watch info (serial number, work to be done..etc) but they took it off me when I went to collect this watch and gave me a generic receipt that just has "watch repair" written on it, without mentioning the brand or anything.
    Note: You want the post-service receipt detailing the work actually done, not just the pre-service receipt showing the work requested. I can't believe the post-service itemised receipt is not provided as standard, for all watch services. I'll be demanding this for my Rolex and Patek watches when the time comes (I did receive this a few years ago when I had my Rolex SD serviced at my local AD).

Nonsense. As mentioned, sending for service via your AD avoids the hassle of postage and insurance - where the small additional charge by the AD is way cheaper than covering it myself (e.g on my 5711). I have a very good relationship with my AD, which may make a difference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Nonsense. As mentioned, sending for service via your AD avoids the hassle of postage and insurance - where the small additional charge by the AD is way cheaper than covering it myself (e.g on my 5711). I have a very good relationship with my AD, which may make a difference.
    Omega and others send out a reply-paid service pouch on request, so it's fully insured by them; and for most people a post office is a good dealer nearer than an AD, which is why many on here are suggesting doing that. Of course if you have a good relationship with a given AD, great.

It's up to the individual, but as others have said - there seems to me, to be a compelling reason to take to local AD and avail yourself of their cover to send to RSC and return. A dealer in S/H Rolex near me - simply sends them to RSC using RMSD (with no additional cover) - including Skydwellers and Daytonas, reasoning that "I've never had a problem yet". Not sure what % of a year's revenue the loss of £25k would be - but to me - that would smart !

I would reason that an RMSD box going to Rolex Service Centre might be a tempting target from the moment you leave it at the PO.

But - as mentioned, everyone has a different appreciation of risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Omega and others send out a reply-paid service pouch on request, so it's fully insured by them; and for most people a post office is a good dealer nearer than an AD, which is why many on here are suggesting doing that. Of course if you have a good relationship with a given AD, great.
    Exactly, they'll send you pre-paid envelope and box after one single telephone call. I can then drop it off at the nearest post office which is 5 mins walk from home, instead of 15 min drive, park and walk. I can communicate with them directly and don't need to deal with the third party. Oh and max £2500 insurance is more than enough to cover the value of my watch.....

Master
    Exactly, they'll send you pre-paid envelope and box after one single telephone call. I can then drop it off at the nearest post office which is 5 mins walk from home, instead of 15 min drive, park and walk. I can communicate with them directly and don't need to deal with the third party. Oh and max £2500 insurance is more than enough to cover the value of my watch.....
    Max £2500 insurance is surely a Royal Mail thing; the reply-paid pack from Omega would be fully insured by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Max £2500 insurance is surely a Royal Mail thing; the reply-paid pack from Omega would be fully insured by them.
    That's even better !

SydR
    Big companies often self insure, in that they build it into their operating costs and handle so many transactions with so few losses. They don’t pay for insurance but pay out themselves in event of a claim.

Just an update to say that omega servicing seems to have increased still further in price.

I was quoted £485 for a service on my 8500 PO in Nov and only just got it back this week. I was told in the Glasgow store that the price is now mid £600s although the website says £590.

To be positive the watch is absolutely perfect and genuinely "as new" now it's back, and i did get a 25% discount for the delay but it's still a very very pricey thing to do.

Here's hoping i don't have to get it serviced again anytime soon :D

Master
    I sent my Omega Seamaster off to OSC early January for service and received it back a couple of weeks ago.

Service cost was £450 but I believe it has gone up since I sent it in. Received usual invoice and pdf but service cards have been discontinued I was told.

It was returned in a rather nice Omega box though!