closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amsterdam's newest tourist slogan: Stay Away!

Blog Entries

Amsterdam's newest tourist slogan: Stay Away!

No typo. Read it here:

https://www.amsterdam.nl/bestuur-org...ment-campaign/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65107405

It's all part of the city council's long term plan to attract 'high end' tourists and get rid of the others. One of the plans is also the closure of the Red Light District; there will be 'Eros Centers' miles from the the city center, one even across the river. The only way to get there 'quickly' is by ferry, operated by the City's Public Transport Dep.

Added to that: starting May 15th, it will be no longer allowed to smoke weed on public roads, bars have to close earlier and the sale of alcohol is limited as well.

Oh well, New York has legalized soft drugs in 2022. Perhaps a new destination for some?
    Last edited by thieuster; 29th March 2023 at 16:56.

Master
    I went to Amsterdam for a few nights in 2019.

Didn't actually see it in the dark, such was the "input" during the day.

Great place!

I've been a few times on business, but never really warmed to the place.

I once disliked Paris, but grew to enjoy it on similar visits, but Amsterdam always seems a bit devoid of character to me.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Amsterdam is a nice city once you get away from the usual spots that tourists flock to. It’s got a stigma attached to it but outside of those areas it’s quite a nice place to be.

Been a few times with the family when I worked in Brussels, bar the smell of weed out in public it’s not that bad

Geef mij maar Amsterdam
    Dat is mooier dan Parijs
    Geef mij maar Amsterdam
    Mijn Mokums paradijs

Lived here 22 years so far. It’s great. And even better without idiotic tourists who for some reason think it’s normal and acceptable to smoke weed on the streets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Amsterdam is a nice city once you get away from the usual spots that tourists flock to. It’s got a stigma attached to it but outside of those areas it’s quite a nice place to be.

Been a few times with the family when I worked in Brussels, bar the smell of weed out in public it’s not that bad
    It’s not just Amsterdam I was in Manchester City centre last fri night night and everywhere I went It stank of weed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    Geef mij maar Amsterdam
    Dat is mooier dan Parijs
    Geef mij maar Amsterdam
    Mijn Mokums paradijs

Lived here 22 years so far. It’s great. And even better without idiotic tourists who for some reason think it’s normal and acceptable to smoke weed on the streets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don’t know. I have lived there for quit a few years (now in Rotterdam haha). I still work in Amsterdam.

I think the tourists, red light’s and the coffeeshops and all that give it some sort of charm. I don’t like these new idea’s. Just another form of ‘betutteling’.

Master
    I’ve been a few times, still have a mate who lives there, and I like it, it’s an interesting and diverse city.

Most Brits of a certain age aren’t visiting for the canals, the old masters, the Anne Frank house or the Pianola Museum though!

Master
    Great city Amsterdam, always found the locals and police to be friendly, as for the smell of weed ...visit any town/city in the UK. (I don't mind the smell to be honest)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Great city Amsterdam, always found the locals and police to be friendly, as for the smell of weed ...visit any town/city in the UK. (I don't mind the smell to be honest)
    The worrying thing is the amount of vehicles that go past while you're out walking with the smell wafting out, including delivery drivers. I remember driving while stoned many many years ago, doing 20mph felt like 60 lol.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    The worrying thing is the amount of vehicles that go past while you're out walking with the smell wafting out, including delivery drivers. I remember driving while stoned many many years ago, doing 20mph felt like 60 lol.
    Agreed, also in traffic queues, often the driver of vehicle in front is puffing away, worrying.