closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2 New Paul Newman Rolexes Unearthed By His Family

Master

2 New Paul Newman Rolexes Unearthed By His Family

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-auction.html

Apologies for the link from the Daily Heil, not seen this elsewhere but it may well be out there.
    TL,DR - Newman's daughter has found an engraved white '93 "Zenith" Daytona & an engraved black 2006 Daytona in a desk drawer in Newman's office, they're going to auction in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post

Apologies for the link from the Daily Heil, not seen this elsewhere but it may well be out there.
    TL,DR - Newman's daughter has found an engraved white '93 "Zenith" Daytona & an engraved black 2006 Daytona in a desk drawer in Newman's office, they're going to auction in June.
    Some BIG 'OLE desk drawers they must be........he's been dead nearly 18 yrs !!!.....are we to assume the room was locked off since then I wonder

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Some BIG 'OLE desk drawers they must be........he's been dead nearly 18 yrs !!!.....are we to assume the room was locked off since then I wonder
    It does rather stretch credibility doesn't it LOL. Caveat emptor !

I am expecting to be surprised by the final prices. They are grossly being underestimated.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Does make you wonder doesn't it? One of the Mail photos showed a serial number I think...

Craftsman
    How, does this square with the statement when his original Daytona was sold, which said that he wore it everyday for 40 years of his life (or whatever time period it was claimed)? Was he double-wristing back then and wearing these too? Surely, they’re not going to be worth anything like as much if they’re advertised as being owned by, but never worn by Newman.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    How, does this square with the statement when his original Daytona was sold, which said that he wore it everyday for 40 years of his life (or whatever time period it was claimed)? Was he double-wristing back then and wearing these too? Surely, they’re not going to be worth anything like as much if they’re advertised as being owned by, but never worn by Newman.
    The article says he wore all his watches & considered them tools but how nice it must have been to have so many that they can languish in drawers? Additionally, it seems odd that there wasn't an inventory made when he died, for probate or whatever they do in the US?

Maybe these watches can be considered signed prints rather than originals.

Some stockroom they seem to have when it comes to Paul Newman Daytonas.

Just found a pic of his desk

You’d like to buy a steel Daytona Sir? Are you some sort of comedian, how dare you! Please buy these horrible diamond encrusted earrings and half a dozen horrifically dialled gold Datejust monstrosities first, then we’ll put you on our 10 year waiting list, snigger
    Oh, hello Mr Newman - you’d like a couple of Daytonas for your desk drawer? No problem, we’ve got half a dozen of each colour out the back. Call it £1000 each - we’re a charity after all and I know you send most of your sauce profits to charity, I’ll be with you in a minute - just got to deal with this ‘customer’ etc etc probably……

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post

Neither are “Paul Newman” variant Daytonas.
    They were just Daytonas owned by Paul Newman.

Only one PN PN Daytona.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Neither are “Paul Newman” variant Daytonas.
    They were just Daytonas owned by Paul Newman.

Only one PN PN Daytona.
    That's what I said. Otherwise there'd be quotation marks around the name.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wonder what they will find when they look in his bedside cabinet or sock drawer … bit slow having a clear out.

Craftsman
    Not doubt they will sell anyway at a super high price even if the back story is a little questionable, interested to see how much they go for at auction.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    You’d like to buy a steel Daytona Sir? Are you some sort of comedian, how dare you! Please buy these horrible diamond encrusted earrings and half a dozen horrifically dialled gold Datejust monstrosities first, then we’ll put you on our 10 year waiting list, snigger
    Oh, hello Mr Newman - you’d like a couple of Daytonas for your desk drawer? No problem, we’ve got half a dozen of each colour out the back. Call it £1000 each - we’re a charity after all and I know you send most of your sauce profits to charity, I’ll be with you in a minute - just got to deal with this ‘customer’ etc etc probably……
    Not really; according to the article, one was white gold and bought for him by his wife at a time when only the steel models were in demand. The other was awarded to him in 1995 after winning the Daytona 24hr race.

The steel model with that provenance should make really good money, it’s rare because it’s a Daytona winners watch and unique because it’s Paul Newman’s Daytona winning watch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I wonder what they will find when they look in his bedside cabinet or sock drawer … bit slow having a clear out.

A Orient Mako probably. Still.... get it on auction...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Not really; according to the article, one was white gold and bought for him by his wife at a time when only the steel models were in demand. The other was awarded to him in 1995 after winning the Daytona 24hr race.

The steel model with that provenance should make really good money, it’s rare because it’s a Daytona winners watch and unique because it’s Paul Newman’s Daytona winning watch.
    Even I'd like the Daytona winner's watch.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Fair play!