closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Talk to me about Merc GLC/GLE

Master

Talk to me about Merc GLC/GLE

Following the thread about used diesel cars that are ULEZ compliant, I saw that a few on here have or have had the GLC or the GLE.

As we are looking for a replacement car at the moment and we like the look of the GLC/GLE i thought I’d ask for opinions and experience of those models.

We would probably be looking at something around 2016/7 and probably the 2 litre diesel as opposed to the bigger options.

Any experiences welcome.

Thanks

The GLE is much bigger than the GLC. I’m not an SUV fan but I do like our GLC220. It’s got the 2.1 turbo diesel engine (as has the 250d, just with more power) and enough performance for every day driving. The nine speed auto box is excellent and we get around 35,000 miles on a set of tyres.

Ours is a 68 plate and goes an average of 45mpg. Overall we have no complaints.

We had a 2010 ML300 a while back and it was bigger, heavier and much more expensive to run.

Master
    I had a GLE but it was a '21 plate so newer model. It was likely the best car I've ever had, I really felt like royalty on the road.
    High and commanding driving position, sssy to drive and park - surprising for the size but the 360 degree camera and augmented sat nav were great.
    Only had the 2.0 diesel but it was more than adequate.
    Sold it to WBAC as their offer was too good to turn down.
    Timing was great as I replaced it with a company car - BMW i4.

Craftsman

GLC or GLE

As a long term Merc owner I recommended the marque to a friend.
    I have an E350 convertible, my friend an E350 estate and his son is on his 2nd GLC after coming out of a Freelander2. He recently extended the warranty on the latest GLC because he thinks they are so good he is going to keep this one a while.

I've been trying to talk Mrs B into a GLC because as an E-Class owner even I think the GLE is too big for us - a 2 person family with no animals.
    I'll watch this thread with great interest.

I much prefer the alternatives, my choice would probably be the XC60. GLC interior does nothing for me.

Merc almost seems to have too many different SUVs - GLA, GLB, GLC, GLE and the GLS. Been tentatively looking myself and only just got my head round what’s what.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We had 2019 240 petrol GLC for my wife which I contract hired through the business my wife loved it i loathed it. It’s was thirsty very plasticky with PVC seats and the infotainment was woefull. It’s interesting we went down to one car now I have retired, I purchased a new X3 and she will readily admit she prefers the BMW.

Master
    Do these suffer from the rotting rear subframe which seems to be an increasing issue with Mercedes?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Merc almost seems to have too many different SUVs - GLA, GLB, GLC, GLE and the GLS. Been tentatively looking myself and only just got my head round what’s what.
    A is the smallest and S is the largest, the others fit in between in alphabetical order.

Master
    Merc are currently planning to cull lots in their range in the next year. I’ve just seen a GLB and it didn’t look to bad at all.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Do these suffer from the rotting rear subframe which seems to be an increasing issue with Mercedes?
    It might be an issue but Merc are pulling them in and replacing them FOC under warranty.

Master
    I rather like the thought of a GLC A43 AMG.

Master
    Have had both.
    Good cars in general. Personally not a huge fan of the 4 cylinder engines of that era. The newer ones (2019 for GLC) are much better and more refined and economical but seem that prices on those are very high still.

GLE much bigger and a different car. I personally wouldn’t consider one of those with the smaller engine.

Drive both and see what you think.

We have owned a 2015 ML250 for 6 years, and still enjoy every drive.

Purchased as an MB approved use car at 18 months old, it has been totally reliable.

We have three late teen/ early 20s sons, two are 6'5", the runt is 6'1" and all three can sit comfortably in the rear.
    Plus two large dogs, we deliberately opted for the basic trim and MB-text vinyl seating which is durable and wipe clean.
    The boot area has hard wearing side panels which vac easily after a trip out.

Servicing is cheap, the OM651 twin turbo diesel is used across the MB range and can be serviced by any decent independent.

We received an invitation maybe three years ago to have the ECU recoded, due to the dieselgate scandal.
    I refused the recode process, which appears to have been generally poorly received and has negatively impacted economy.

Recently received two recall notices from MB UK, for a potential water leak on the tailgate and steering rack inspection.
    I will book in for these inspections at MB Southport.

We currently have three MB, I have owned my A124 cabriolet for 18 years, plus a rare SLK32 - we love them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    A is the smallest and S is the largest, the others fit in between in alphabetical order.

Yeah, once I twigged that GLA was A Class, GLC was C Class etc. it made a lot more sense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    We have owned a 2015 ML250 for 6 years, and still enjoy every drive.

Purchased as an MB approved use car at 18 months old, it has been totally reliable.

We have three late teen/ early 20s sons, two are 6'5", the runt is 6'1" and all three can sit comfortably in the rear.
    Plus two large dogs, we deliberately opted for the basic trim and MB-text vinyl seating which is durable and wipe clean.
    The boot area has hard wearing side panels which vac easily after a trip out.

Servicing is cheap, the OM651 twin turbo diesel is used across the MB range and can be serviced by any decent independent.

We received an invitation maybe three years ago to have the ECU recoded, due to the dieselgate scandal.
    I refused the recode process, which appears to have been generally poorly received and has negatively impacted economy.

Recently received two recall notices from MB UK, for a potential water leak on the tailgate and steering rack inspection.
    I will book in for these inspections at MB Southport.

We currently have three MB, I have owned my A124 cabriolet for 18 years, plus a rare SLK32 - we love them all.
    Thanks, really helpful.
    I keep mentioning ‘kids’ but they are actually adults now!
    I think if they were still younger then the GLC would be ideal, but as we are all reasonably tall and sometimes there are 5 of us, the GLE is talking to us more.

Am planning to spend some time over Easter driving a few. Not in a rush but would like to narrow down the choices so then can focus on finding the right one.

Quick follow-on question - is the engine in the ML also used in the GLE?

Yes, eventually realised this, just seems names are easier (for me anyway)!

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Quick follow-on question - is the engine in the ML also used in the GLE?
    The GLE is the newer name for the ML. They changed in about 2016 or thereabouts. The 220*/250 engine is (and has always been) a 2.1 litre, four cylinder. The 300/350 is the 3l V6. The engines, I believe, are basically the same although they are constantly being refined so newer ones are better than the older ones.

* The 220 spec is not available in the GLE.

There are now additional models in petroleum and hybrid with different model numbers too.

Yes, eventually realised this, just seems names are easier (for me anyway)!
    ... but more risky for a manufacturer that sells across the world. Cf Mitsubishi Pajero, Chevrolet Nova, Audi Etron (étron), Hyundai Kona, etc.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    The GLE is the newer name for the ML. They changed in about 2016 or thereabouts. The 220*/250 engine is (and has always been) a 2.1 litre, four cylinder. The 300/350 is the 3l V6. The engines, I believe, are basically the same although they are constantly being refined so newer ones are better than the older ones.

There are now additional models in petroleum and hybrid with different model numbers too.
    Thanks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    ... but more risky for a manufacturer that sells across the world. Cf Mitsubishi Pajero, Chevrolet Nova, Audi Etron (étron), Hyundai Kona, etc.
    I knew about the Pajero - it was a long standing joke in our area in Spain that it really suited the English guy who drove around in an imported one.
    Didn't know about etron or Kona though and I'm surprised at both.

Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    I knew about the Pajero - it was a long standing joke in our area in Spain that it really suited the English guy who drove around in an imported one.
    Didn't know about etron or Kona though and I'm surprised at both.
    Yeah, I knew about the Pajero but not the others. I guess I'm going to have to google them now. (not on my work computer?)

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Yeah, I knew about the Pajero but not the others. I guess I'm going to have to google them now. (not on my work computer?)
    Or I can help: Martyn could help you with Kona as it's Portuguese for c**t, and étron is a turd in French. No va, of course, is Spanish for doesn't go. It's worth to note that Vauxhall (Opel) avoided the issue with it's own Nova as it's called a Corsa on the continent.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Bought a GLC220d new mid-2018 and had for about 18 months. A nice all-round package albeit quite small, the roofline is quite low compared to a full-size SUV.

Only downer was the fake leather seats, ok you don't really notice it but still seemed a cheap shot. Actual leather was available but I doubt many have it.

Master

Not quite correct.
    The new model GLE dropped the 220 but instead called it a 300d. This has the new 2 litre diesel.
    This model also has 350d and 400d which is the new 6 cylinder diesel which is 2.9l. Not v6.

But the generation the OP is looking at will be the generation before the latest which is v6 diesel or 4 cylinder 2.1 litre called 250d as you say. There was no 300d in that era.

To make it more confusing other recent models have a 220d which is the same engine as in the GLE300d which is the 2.0 litre new diesel, albeit de-tuned. No longer a 2.1 in the 220d badged cars.

Master
    A friend has a GLE plug in hybrid. Given the size of the car, it is little bigger than a Golf in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Only downer was the fake leather seats, ok you don't really notice it but still seemed a cheap shot. Actual leather was available but I doubt many have it.
    I may have done MB a disservice by describing the vinyl in our ML250 as MB-Tex, the brochure gave it a fancy name but it is fake leather.

As I mentioned earlier, we deliberately chose the base spec to suit the hiking/camping/dogging lifestyle. It looks remarkably similar to buffalo grain leather, but wipes clean, is not scuffed by outdoor gear and doesn't need regular feeding.

The choice of alloy wheel can also make a significant difference to the ride quality.
    We have the standard 20" rims with Goodyear all season tyres.

The dealer was desperate for us to spend another £3,000 to upgrade to a set of 22" AMG rims and Pirelli road tyres.
    Why ? He knew exactly why we chose the vehicle, and the basiç rims work well in all weather.

There are legion special options and bundles that include different grades of real leather and AMG badges to impress the neighbours.
    Take time to understand the bundles, and you will find the perfect ML/GLE.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    I may have done MB a disservice by describing the vinyl in our ML250 as MB-Tex, the brochure gave it a fancy name but it is fake leather.

As I mentioned earlier, we deliberately chose the base spec to suit the hiking/camping/dogging lifestyle. It looks remarkably similar to buffalo grain leather, but wipes clean, is not scuffed by outdoor gear and doesn't need regular feeding.

The choice of alloy wheel can also make a significant difference to the ride quality.
    We have the standard 20" rims with Goodyear all season tyres.

The dealer was desperate for us to spend another £3,000 to upgrade to a set of 22" AMG rims and Pirelli road tyres.
    Why ? He knew exactly why we chose the vehicle, and the basiç rims work well in all weather.

There are legion special options and bundles that include different grades of real leather and AMG badges to impress the neighbours.
    Take time to understand the bundles, and you will find the perfect ML/GLE.
    Did you mean ‘dogging’ in a specific sense???!!

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Did you mean ‘dogging’ in a specific sense???!!
    It was typed with tongue firmly in cheek, but I can confirm that bodily fluids are easily cleaned up from the Mercedes seats.

To clarify, an Italian Spinone and two rescue mutts.
    Last edited by W124; 30th March 2023 at 19:48.

Blog Entries
    BTW Mercedes artificial leather is called Artico IIRC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Not quite correct.
    The new model GLE dropped the 220 but instead called it a 300d. This has the new 2 litre diesel.
    This model also has 350d and 400d which is the new 6 cylinder diesel which is 2.9l. Not v6.

But the generation the OP is looking at will be the generation before the latest which is v6 diesel or 4 cylinder 2.1 litre called 250d as you say. There was no 300d in that era.

To make it more confusing other recent models have a 220d which is the same engine as in the GLE300d which is the 2.0 litre new diesel, albeit de-tuned. No longer a 2.1 in the 220d badged cars.
    If the 300d engine is as nice as my 300d C Class it will have plenty of power to play with, mines got 550nm torque at 2000 revs and it shifts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    If the 300d engine is as nice as my 300d C Class it will have plenty of power to play with, mines got 550nm torque at 2000 revs and it shifts.

Yes it will be and it’s a great engine a real step up on the 2.1 IMO.
    However, it is not available in the generation the OP is looking at. Only in the newer model launched circa 2019.