closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Music/radio in a small office

Music/radio in a small office

I work in an open plan office with 4 people. We do have client meetings 1 or 2 people max, 4/5 times a week in a separate private room. If we decided to play music(spotify) or the radio, would we need to have a licence (PRS?)?

Their site has a lot of waffle, but a quick look at the tarrifs suggests about £64 p.a..

Yes you will need a license.

Indeed you will.

Cheers all - for £64pa we'll prob go for it!

Master
    Just for a small office rather than being used in a more public space like a shop or cafe? How would they even know? I mean a radio (non internet) could just play. Even Spotify if you used offline playlists you'd potentially never connect to the internet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Just for a small office rather than being used in a more public space like a shop or cafe? How would they even know? I mean a radio (non internet) could just play. Even Spotify if you used offline playlists you'd potentially never connect to the internet.
    Yes, in any situation where you're playing copyrighted music outside a domestic environment you'll need a licence. Even if you work at home alone you have to have a licence, but they will waive the requirement as long as you turn it off if anyone visits you on business.

https://pplprs.co.uk/themusiclicence/#do-i-need

Obviously if you want to defraud musicians/composers of their income, that's up to you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Their site has a lot of waffle, but a quick look at the tarrifs suggests about £64 p.a..
    I'm not sure where you get £64 a year for a joint PRS/PPL TheMusicLicence as the site suggests the minimum cost is £110.64 plus VAT for an office of 4 where there are no visitors. For some reason they insist you phone up for a quote rather than publish simple clear details on the website so be very careful.

OP: if you contact them on no account reveal your phone number or address as they may try & prove you are already playing music without a licence & hit you with a higher rate. There are plenty of royalty-free streaming stations online - you can find them with a simple Google search.

You really want to avoid getting involved with this bunch so either don't play anything or make sure it's only royalty free sources.

This. You're already paying your Spotify subscription so the artists have been / are being paid. Nobody will ever know.

How would they even know? I mean a radio (non internet) could just play. Even Spotify if you used offline playlists you'd potentially never connect to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Yes, in any situation where you're playing copyrighted music outside a domestic environment you'll need a licence. Even if you work at home alone you have to have a licence, but they will waive the requirement as long as you turn it off if anyone visits you on business.

https://pplprs.co.uk/themusiclicence/#do-i-need

Obviously if you want to defraud musicians/composers of their income, that's up to you.
    Perhaps if they hadn't spent years making TV programmes like Cribs people would be less inclined to deprive them of income ?

It is another "tax" on having a business such as the 40.00 CCTV "tax" from the ICO which we also have to pay.

Music/radio in a small office

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    This. You're already paying your Spotify subscription so the artists have been / are being paid.
    Well, taken to the extreme, then Tesco for example, should be able to subscribe and play music in their stores w/o paying any further royalties.
    If businesses want to create a certain ambiance in store or play music for their staff they should cough up.

The PRS often send out letters to businesses outlining what you should be paying.

My business was only me so I let them know and had nothing to pay.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    This. You're already paying your Spotify subscription so the artists have been / are being paid. Nobody will ever know.
    That's not how it works.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It can be if you keep quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    That's not how it works.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Even if you work at home alone you have to have a licence, but they will waive the requirement as long as you turn it off if anyone visits you on business.
    That is literally one of the dumbest and unprovable things (from their perspective) I have read in a while :-)

Exactly. It’s a Pandora’s Box so leave it closed.

That is literally one of the dumbest and unprovable things (from their perspective) I have read in a while :-)

Master
    They are known to be extremely tenacious and have lawyers in a similar vein. I know they send people out to shops to check if there is music playing and speak to anyone they think works there to check.
    I'm not interested in a debate about whether a licence shoulod be needed, I have no idea how the music system/public broadcast works but they are a very unpleasant company to deal with.

My workshop is a customer free zone and I listen along with my business partner through Spotify and an old Bluetooth enable box. Can’t see why I’d need one but hey, I’m
    Sure there’ll be around one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    They'll have a damn good go unless you can prove all your customers are deaf!
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...-music-at-work

I'll be along tomorrow but I won't be able to hear you ok ;-)