closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Porcelain paving - what do I need to know?

Blog Entries

Porcelain paving - what do I need to know?

So I'm fed up with having to pressure wash the patio slabs every couple of years, and inbetween they look cak because they seem to accumulate a load of black stuff. We're having a quote for something new and the guy (who block paved our drive so happy to use him) recommended porcelain slabs as easier to maintain.
    Anyone got experience of them? Are they the best solution?
    Any advice appreciated.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    We had these laid last year so really not long ago, but they certainly do look nice, they will still get dirty but so much easier to clean.

I had 85 sqm down last year on 20mm 900x600 porcelain slabs.

Very happy with the look, and pretty easy to maintain. It is north facing and I went for a lighter colour tile which means it’s not maintenance free, still requires a hose and brush clean.

Slabs were laid on 6 inches of mot, and the a c.60mm sand and cement base. They had to put a slurry on back of slabs to ensure good adhesion. I remember grout decision being difficult, but went for a good water resistant product, but it was very challenging for them to apply and clean up.

With some pretty complex drainage and a level threshold to patio doors it cost around £16k all in, of which slabs were around £4.5k. The grout surprised me at around £450c and then there was a sealer to apply afterwards which cost around £200.

I was surprised just how much sand and cement they went through, something like 80-100 bags cement in the end and around 8 bulk bags of sand.

I reckon all in with the materials were in region of £8k and labour £8k.
    Love it though, despite the cost.
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 28th March 2023 at 17:05.

Master
    In the manner of Peter Kay....................
    Porcelain.....................
    Paving?
    I'll get my coat on the way out!

Deep pockets OP

I had Indian sandstone at my last house, was fantastic and no issues.
    2 years ago at our new house, went with porcelain and never again would I do it. Bugger to keep clean in the winter, I’ve had slabs go loose even though the back of them were buttered as per instructions and I’m juts generally not impressed. Cost was about £12k from memory with materials from London stone.

Have you considered using a Sodium Hypochlorite solution rather than the inch by inch jet washing ?

This brought up our leaf (tannin) brown stained concrete flagged driveway and the mossy covered Indian sandstone rear patio , like new with not a lot of effort at all.

Wellies needed only to stop your shoes getting bleach splashes on them (ask me how I know...).

Amazon sold it to me, works a treat.

If you do end up going for the porcelain consider a resin grout compound. It brushes straight in to a minimum 25mm depth and cures fully within about 48 hrs. No mess to clear off afterwards just a gentle soft sweeping brush down.

Sodium Hypochlorite is bleach and I would be wary of using it on exterior porcelain regularly.

https://www.primaporcelain.co.uk/new...orcelain-tiles

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Also not safe for pets to be around, potentially fatal.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Sodium Hypochlorite is bleach and I would be wary of using it on exterior porcelain regularly.

R

R
    Fair comment. I'll be sticking with the sandstone then.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Also not safe for pets to be around, potentially fatal.
    If they drink it perhaps ?

I have porcelain tiling on my roof terraces in Malta. The slabs are the same deal but double the thickness of the regular tiles at around 20-22 mm.

Porcelain Is very hard wearing and won’t fade or craze.

Be aware that porcelain for outdoor use will have a non slip surface and in my experience that does hold dirt and can, to be blunt, be a bugger to keep clean.

Otherwise I recommend it.

Craftsman
    I was looking to get 22 sqm done at the side of my house as it catches the sun in the morning. Have had 3 people round to price it up and not one has came back with a price. Maybe the economy isn’t as bad as they make out!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Have you considered using a Sodium Hypochlorite solution rather than the inch by inch jet washing ?

This brought up our leaf (tannin) brown stained concrete flagged driveway and the mossy covered Indian sandstone rear patio , like new with not a lot of effort at all.

Wellies needed only to stop your shoes getting bleach splashes on them (ask me how I know...).

Amazon sold it to me, works a treat.

If you do end up going for the porcelain consider a resin grout compound. It brushes straight in to a minimum 25mm depth and cures fully within about 48 hrs. No mess to clear off afterwards just a gentle soft sweeping brush down.
    That will break up the resin compound I was told. As for the brush in resin stuff Easyjoint is brilliant

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    As for the brush in resin stuff Easyjoint is brilliant
    I've had the opposite experience with EasyJoint ... porcelain patio went in last May, and a few of the joints haven't even lasted the winter despite following instructions to the letter ... no problems at all with my other patio (Westminster Stone Old Provence concrete paving) that had the traditional sand/cement grout and was installed at the same time.

Must say I do like the porcelain tiles though. We put in about 40 sqm of Globalstone's Porcelain Six terracotta, which is a fabulous pattern/colour, especially when wet.

This is part of about 100sqm of porcelain patio we had fitted last year. Our landscaper was very experienced and I could see the immense care he took in every step. I don’t know what grout he used but it feels like steel. The winter ensured this light colour was filthy and full of moss. This picture is after a quick once over with a Nilfisk patio brush. Was incredibly easy to clean and very happy with it. Like kitchens and bathrooms I think it is a lot down to the fitter. Highly recommend (but have no connection to) Roccia in Preston and Bolton for the tiles. Ignore the sticker price and haggle but best range we saw and very good service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A German chap we know of put dark coloured porcelain around his pool, at considerable expense, it gets far too hot to walk upon in bare feet in the Summers here! Burnt feet, uhm no thanks. Might be worth to keep in mind. Personally I prefer a more rustic look, a light coloured paving slab, non slip even when wet and cost was a factor as we have around 350 sq m's, more in keeping with the background colours/environment.

We're having 85m2 of patio laid in July and have been weighing up the pros and cons of porcelain, the pro's are it looks good, the cons it can be chipped or can crack a lot easier than natural stone, which is highly noticeable, and joints don't seem to last despite what compound is used. The same can be said of sandstone but chips, cracks and damage are a lot less noticeable. We both came down on the side of Indian sandstone due to a more natural look. There are some FB patio and driveway contractor groups on FB that Mrs WB has been monitoring and the consensus seems to be that porcelain has been over 60% of a lot of contractors work over the past few years, but few contractors would actually install it at their own homes due to the points previously mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    We're having 85m2 of patio laid in July and have been weighing up the pros and cons of porcelain, the pro's are it looks good, the cons it can be chipped or can crack a lot easier than natural stone, which is highly noticeable, and joints don't seem to last despite what compound is used. The same can be said of sandstone but chips, cracks and damage are a lot less noticeable. We both came down on the side of Indian sandstone due to a more natural look. There are some FB patio and driveway contractor groups on FB that Mrs WB has been monitoring and the consensus seems to be that porcelain has been over 60% of a lot of contractors work over the past few years, but few contractors would actually install it at their own homes due to the points previously mentioned.
    The question of chipping or cracking would come down to the type of traffic you plan to pass over the surface. With normal foot traffic the risk is nil and a dropped plate or glass will shatter but leave the porcelain undamaged.

R
    Someone once informed me that you can inject it as a cure for Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    The question of chipping or cracking would come down to the type of traffic you plan to pass over the surface. With normal foot traffic the risk is nil and a dropped plate or glass will shatter but leave the porcelain undamaged.
    I'm only going by what the installers of the product are saying on their FB groups, porcelain seems to be very popular choice but has a much higher call back to repair damage and joints than natural products.

Having said that, you are in a far better position than me to comment having actually installed porcelain in one of your properties, albeit a much thicker tile than the norm used in the UK.

Master
    If you are prepared to splash the cash why not opt for the tried and tested York stone. It seems to have no downsides, is understated and lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Ingestion not injection Unc, drink it in man !!!

Blog Entries
    Did it work?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Did it work?
    It turns you orange apparently.

And barking mad, it would seem.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

This is part of about 100sqm of porcelain patio we had fitted last year. Our landscaper was very experienced and I could see the immense care he took in every step. I don’t know what grout he used but it feels like steel. The winter ensured this light colour was filthy and full of moss. This picture is after a quick once over with a Nilfisk patio brush. Was incredibly easy to clean and very happy with it. Like kitchens and bathrooms I think it is a lot down to the fitter. Highly recommend (but have no connection to) Roccia in Preston and Bolton for the tiles. Ignore the sticker price and haggle but best range we saw and very good service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those look very slippy

I had Indian Sandstone three years ago I sealed them with a matt HD sealer in no way did it change the look, but so easy to clean in the Spring.

Porcelain paving - what do I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Those look very slippy

I had Indian Sandstone three years ago I sealed them with a matt HD sealer in no way did it change the look, but so easy to clean in the Spring.
    The photo is immediately after the Nilfisk has been over them. Even when wet they are not slippy at all. However lethal when icy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    We have porcelain tiles and I’m in two minds. They can look brilliant and when it’s dry they’re perfect. However, as they’re non pour out the dirt just sits on top. This is particularly annoying in the winter after walking on wet grass. I do wonder if they’re better suited to posh bars innIbiza etc

Also, our builders hated them it took them 10x longer to cut a tile, the thin one next to the house almost finished them off. Luckily we were on a fixed price with the extension

Just took this

Master
    Blog Entries
    We have some very light coloured (almost white) porcelain slabs by our front door. They are textured/anti-slip (I know someone who had indoor tiles laid outdoors and they are lethal in the wet). The texture makes it harder to clean than I would have liked, but otherwise, no hassles and they look great (when clean!).

Blog Entries
    orangealec ?