closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: That’s one pricey battery………..

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

That’s one pricey battery………..

I do all my friends and families batteries, bracelets and straps for them and today I was given a old Seiko as it needed a new battery, presumably.

Its a Seiko perpetual calendar Cal 8F32, before opening it I checked the calibre specs on line as I always do to ensure I have the correct battery rather than replace it like for like with what’s fitted.

A BR2412 is required, that’s a new ref on me and £12 from cousins.

And don’t get started on setting the calendar, rather than using the crown it’s via a sequence of shorting the battery on specific areas of the movement depending on year/month/day.

Enough winging Ben and get on with the job, anyone got a spare BR2412 to save me excessive postage costs.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Grand Master
    Never heard if that battery, but if that’s what it costs it is what it is! Love ‘em or loathe ‘em, Cousins are v. efficient at supplying whatever is needed.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    New one on my too Paul, I’m surprised you’ve not come across the ref before given your extensive experience.

It would appear that the CR2412 is a direct replacement/alternative and have just watch a setting tutorial on YouTube and he has replaced the battery with a CR variant.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Never heard if that battery, but if that’s what it costs it is what it is! Love ‘em or loathe ‘em, Cousins are v. efficient at supplying whatever is needed.
    Cheers,

Ben

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks R, I read that last night.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Don't order one yet, I think I've got a spare one at work. If not, my local timepiece is closing down and he's offered me loads of his over-stock at cost price.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sent you a pm Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Don't order one yet, I think I've got a spare one at work. If not, my local timepiece is closing down and he's offered me loads of his over-stock at cost price.
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    But imagine how much it would cost if was a 'Rolex' battery........

Master
    I’ve used the standard battery before - think you’ll need to carefully need to remove and reuse the sticker that masks part of the - side of the battery

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies, I have one on the way now.
    Cheers,

Ben

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I’ve used the standard battery before - think you’ll need to carefully need to remove and reuse the sticker that masks part of the - side of the battery
    I think the sticker on the BR2412 is only there to indicate where to remove the battery, if you know the batttery release area then the sticker is not required.

Ive ascertained this by looking at various BR2412 batteries and the stickers are in various different orientations on the battery so there can’t be a specific area of the battery that needs exposing. The sticker lined up to the stem will give the correct area for battery removal and that’s all it’s for……………I believe.
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I think the sticker on the BR2412 is only there to indicate where to remove the battery, if you know the batttery release area then the sticker is not required.

Ive ascertained this by looking at various BR2412 batteries and the stickers are in various different orientations on the battery so there can’t be a specific area of the battery that needs exposing. The sticker lined up to the stem will give the correct area for battery removal and that’s all it’s for……………I believe.
    I ‘think’ when you line the sticker up with the crown it lines up a hole on the negative side of the sticker that connects to a contact point on the movement- the sticker prevents other parts of the movement coming into contact with the negative side of the battery - I could be wrong though

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I ‘think’ when you line the sticker up with the crown it lines up a hole on the negative side of the sticker that connects to a contact point on the movement- the sticker prevents other parts of the movement coming into contact with the negative side of the battery - I could be wrong though
    That could be a possibility Lewie, I have seen a few fitted with the CR equivalent without the sticker but don’t know if this will cause issues down the line.

I have the Seiko BR on its way so should be worry free.
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    I was possibly being over cautious

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A little update, new Seiko battery arrived today so to work I go.

I have never come across such a complicated watch to set, I know its a perpetual calendar and have done these before but 8F movement requires setting via a series of shorting the battery with various terminals o the movement.

If you are interested these are the new battery fitting instructions

https://seikoserviceusa.com/uploads/...%20battery.pdf
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    A little update, new Seiko battery arrived today so to work I go.

I have never come across such a complicated watch to set, I know its a perpetual calendar and have done these before but 8F movement requires setting via a series of shorting the battery with various terminals o the movement.

If you are interested these are the new battery fitting instructions

https://seikoserviceusa.com/uploads/...%20battery.pdf
    I’ve done a couple they are tricky I had to keep rewatching the video
    Good work