closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPhone sudden battery drain

iPhone sudden battery drain

I'm hoping some of you phone sleuths might be able to help with this mystery please.

My iPhone 13 Mini (bought last August) has experienced a battery drain during the night on three occasions now (over the period of about 6 months). I've woken in the early hours or early morning to find that the phone is dead - before I went to sleep it was at least 90% so I believe it's impossible to completely drain if only on stand by?

Battery health is 100%.

Here's a screenshot of the battery screen. I've highlighted where it started to drain from around 9pm and looked to be dead at around 2am.

What I don't understand is for 'Battery Usage' how the camera app is showing 90%?? No video was recording by the way.

I've never experienced this before with any iPhone - do you guys have any ideas as to what is happening or what I should do? I can take it back to John Lewis as it's well within the 2 year guarantee.

Master
    Has this follows a recent update?

I don't think so - I'm sure I've updated the phone after this happened late last year

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Has this follows a recent update?

IOS 16.4 is imminent. You might try updating to that when it arrives, but do it via a Mac if you have one as this seems to help with glitchy stuff like this. Of course your battery life in general may be affected for a short while after installing an update as the IOS re-indexes it's files.
    F.T.F.A.

It could well be the update but I've googled the issue and I don't see other people having this problem. I'll connect the phone to my iMac and do the update this way as you've suggested - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    IOS 16.4 is imminent. You might try updating to that when it arrives, but do it via a Mac if you have one as this seems to help with glitchy stuff like this. Of course your battery life in general may be affected for a short while after installing an update as the IOS re-indexes it's files.

That is weird - the camera usage!

Any chance there is some other app accessing the camera during certain hours?

I'm not sure but what I'm going to do now is get rid of all background apps and switch the phone to Airplane mode before I go to bed. Bearing in mind it should only lose 5%-10% of battery life in standyby mode overnight - it drained the battery from around 95% to zero in about 5 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

You might find this video of interest re the actual capacity of your battery, as opposed to what the phone tells you.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Certainly I had a very similar issue a couple of times on an iPhone 7 - i.e. massive overnight drain apparently caused by the camera - and the solution was to trim the number of apps which had access to it. It sorted it; presumably one app had gone rogue.

Thanks for this - I've gone into my settings and removed camera/bluetooth/microphone access for any apps that don't need this anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Certainly I had a very similar issue a couple of times on an iPhone 7 - i.e. massive overnight drain apparently caused by the camera - and the solution was to trim the number of apps which had access to it. It sorted it; presumably one app had gone rogue.

IOS 16.4 has just been released.
    Last edited by magirus; 27th March 2023 at 18:49. Reason: Typo
    F.T.F.A.

I had a problem with an iPhone 11 that seemed to resolve after a full power down/restart. Quick and worth a try at the least.

Did you inadvertently activate the camera before putting your phone down for the night? Have you activated the accessibility option whereby two taps on the rear of the phone can be set to open an app/feature? I found it problematic when I tried it.

Oh, and iOS 16.4 is now available.
    Last edited by Skier; 27th March 2023 at 21:00.

The first part is definitely possible as today, when I closed down most of the apps, the camera was one of them. I've also noticed that it's so easy to accidently swipe right from the locked screen to open the camera app.

The second possibility is no - I didn't even know this was possible.

Right - 16.4 here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Did you inadvertently activate the camera before putting your phone down for the night? Have you activated the accessibility option whereby two taps on the rear of the phone can be set to ope an app/feature? I found it problematic when I tried it.

Oh, and iOS 16.4 is now available.

I had a problem with an iPhone 11 that seemed to resolve after a full power down/restart. Quick and worth a try at the least.