closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tudor Releases - Watches & Wonders 2023

Craftsman

New Tudor Releases - Watches & Wonders 2023

New releases from Tudor, love the Black Bay 54 37mm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YznVmIGBxCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qkuq1dMmko
    Last edited by Planet Ocean; 27th March 2023 at 08:39.

White dialled GMT looks great, shame its still 41mm.

Master
    More black bay…..

Good to see the Black Bay going METAS and with a Jubilee option.

I quite like the new GMT too.
    It's just a matter of time...

The BB54 is a strange one..

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully they go metas across the range

Wow, boring. Tudor’s designs are just so unappealing to me across 90% of their lineup.

The GMT - why is it still 15mm thick when Rolex could make when Rolex could make a GMT 12mm thick in the 60s?

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    The BB54 is a strange one..
    I thought it looked quite good, although both Rolex and Tudor seem determined to reinvent their models esch year by changing the diameter by 1 or 2mm...give it a few more years and I suspect we'll have seen Black Bay in every diameter from 32mm to 42mm and Explorer in 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 and 41mm. It must be the watch equivalent of Apple making the iPhone in a new size each year whilst discontinuing an old size...one year they tell us big is the new small, the next year small is the new big!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the white GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    The GMT - why is it still 15mm thick when Rolex could make when Rolex could make a GMT 12mm thick in the 60s?
    Never give the masses exactly what they want, unless they are paying the big money. Those that aren't paying enough...keep them satisfied enough but with a niggling compromise so they want more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Never give the masses exactly what they want, unless they are paying the big money. Those that aren't paying enough...keep them satisfied enough but with a niggling compromise so they want more.
    Pretty much sums Tudor up in a lot of situations.

They have some great watches which work very well but they are probably purposely not designed to compete with big brother.

I watch each years big-name releases with some curiosity, and the same applies to watching people's reactions - I suspect there's a lot in what Christian just posted, but equally we have to remember that WIS and the UK are trivial markets - consumer research will be much more interested in what Asia wants...

Master
    The Black Bay 39mm on a jubilee looks very tempting...

Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    Wow, boring. Tudor’s designs are just so unappealing to me across 90% of their lineup.

You pretty much answered your own question there.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I watch each years big-name releases with some curiosity, and the same applies to watching people's reactions - I suspect there's a lot in what Christian just posted, but equally we have to remember that WIS and the UK are trivial markets - consumer research will be much more interested in what Asia wants...
    You'd think that consumer research influenced what was launched but I really don't think Rolex/Tudor work that way. I think they follow what Steve Jobs said:

“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post

If there was any one watch that didn't need a jubilee bracelet, it's this one. Just wrong IMO.

Maybe if they polished the bezel? But even then…

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    You'd think that consumer research influenced what was launched but I really don't think Rolex/Tudor work that way. I think they follow what Steve Jobs said:

“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”

Fair point. Rolex in particular could issue a wrist-worn dog turd and fanbhois would be noshing ADs to get a place in the queue...

Cant wait to see the light champagne dial (silver) in the flesh.

Master
    The new 41 burgundy is interesting. With the more pronounced teeth and jubilee bracelet it is leaning more to modern than vintage when compared to the other Bb 41 watches. Also Tudor confirmed on Instagram it is 13.6mm thick. That’s good but still beefy for a time only watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    The new 41 burgundy is interesting. With the more pronounced teeth and jubilee bracelet it is leaning more to modern than vintage when compared to the other Bb 41 watches. Also Tudor confirmed on Instagram it is 13.6mm thick. That’s good but still beefy for a time only watch.
    I was excited for this but 13.6mm is just too thick. I got rid of a Seamaster 42mm because it was too thick and this would absolutely be the same. If only the BB58 was a little bigger :-(

The massive bonus of Rolex models is that they are (mostly) gorgeously slim such that even the 42mm Explorer2 wears elegantly on the average wrists. I do wonder if Tudor are required to keep their cases deeper so that they don't compete with bigger brother.

Craftsman
    Disappointing releases across the Tudor lines for me. It seems based on last year that they save some of their better stuff for later in the year. Hopefully that’s going to be the case again this year.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Better teeth, thinner, and no coloured crown tube. It's certainly more interesting but the colour options are limited. Shame they left the rivets. The best bracelet on a black bay was the ETA.

Looks same old same old to me - yes I am sure there are many minor differences but not enough to make it interesting for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They second hand has changed, looks odd with the snowflake hands

First time in 5 yrs I haven’t bought a new Tudor at launch. Just all a bit meh

Master
    Blog Entries
    When you look back over the last few years releases they have been really strong, especially the bb pro etc, but I agree this year seems weak compared

No love for the BB54? If I didn't already have the BB58 it's probably something I would have gone for and would suit my wrist a bit better. Having said that, dropping just 2mm with a lug-to-lug of 46mm, as opposed to 47mm, isn't really a huge size difference.

Pretty ballsy though....I would have expected the size to go up to 42mm instead of coming down to 37mm

Master
    I think they are getting the catalogue in order and lifting the overall offering rather than massive new releases. It’s great to have T-fit and the I house movements in pretty much all watches.

It does feel like they are still finding their feet. I thing the catalogue is far too large in terms of watch variations. Also, going from all snowflake to a mix of snowflake and lolly pop hands muddies the design language. The new bb41 is an odd mix of modern and vintage. The GMT is still far too large and still no T-fit. Also, why offer a more dressy watch bracelet on a diver and not a new GMT.

Some odd decisions there for me and like others not that bothered by any of them.

As a fan of the brand, and owner of 3 of their watches, there's nothing there that I'm going gaga over. I get the 54 and think they've gone in the right direction with the revised cases of the larger BBs as well as the revised crowns (which add to the vintage look, IMO) though there's nothing at all that I'd spend my own money on.

I'd say it's a shame though at least my wallet is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    As a fan of the brand, and owner of 3 of their watches, there's nothing there that I'm going gaga over. I get the 54 and think they've gone in the right direction with the revised cases of the larger BBs as well as the revised crowns (which add to the vintage look, IMO) though there's nothing at all that I'd spend my own money on.
    Agreed, a fan also with 4 of them.
    I think they missed a trick not updating the case of the GMT to that of the Black Bay. I would have bought that with the white dial. No point though as my black GMT is my everyday beater and travel watch and will remain so.

The BB Pro which I think is a cracker and I had to have one, was released at a different time from the show etc IIRC, so many there is still hope for something new later in the year.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Master
    As a Tudor fun boy I was left cold today.
    I feel the opaline dial gmt should have black hands and index’s around a to enhance contract and hence legibility.
    The bb pro surely remains the most accomplished modem Tudor in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The new Black Bay 41mm with red bezel on the five link bracelet is really nice (imho). Feels like the design has been really finessed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    As a Tudor fun boy I was left cold today.
    I feel the opaline dial gmt should have black hands and index’s around a to enhance contract and hence legibility.
    The bb pro surely remains the most accomplished modem Tudor in my opinion.
    Have to agree on the BB Pro - I was offered one not long after release, I tried it on but at the time felt it was too similar to my BB58 to justify the purchase.
    One came up recently on SC for a great price so I thought I would give it a second chance, the watch has barely left my wrist since - such a superb watch on so many levels.

Last year, didn’t Tudor also come up with new models after W&W? I seem to remember the BB Pro came out for W&W and then the Ranger was a surprise release a couple of
    months later.

I hate it. The whole design is so confused. Start off with a classic, functionally legible dial from a dive watch, except remove the rotating bezel, and stick it in an oyster-like case, so that it looks more like a hybrid field diver; then consider whether a tried and tested, toolish oyster bracelet is a good option but stick a blingy, dressy jubilee on it instead.

Finally to make sure it really doesn’t work, how about diamante indices??

It’s so weird. The correct thing to do would be to buy a bb39, sell the jubilee to some poor soul who wants one on their BB58 and either stick it on leather or buy a ranger bracelet.

Master
    I would have liked to see a version of the FXD on a bracelet, with the new clasp. Oh and a date. That would be a perfect everyday wearer IMHO.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

So... everybody works in the dark?

BUBI
    @porque.racing

I find these releases a bit disappointing. I don’t really think they should be releasing variants of the tombstone on the wrist that is the GMT without slimming jt down and adding a T-fit.

I find the Tudor Royal to be such an ugly looking day-date wannabe. I’d like to see Tudor totally revamp its Royal, dress and non-diver BB range.

Change does seem to be happening, just incredibly slowly.

Also I’m not clear on why we should care about them moving towards METAS certification on all watches when they’re already guaranteed as better than COSC anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I hate it. The whole design is so confused. Start off with a classic, functionally legible dial from a dive watch, except remove the rotating bezel, and stick it in an oyster-like case, so that it looks more like a hybrid field diver; then consider whether a tried and tested, toolish oyster bracelet is a good option but stick a blingy, dressy jubilee on it instead.

Finally to make sure it really doesn’t work, how about diamante indices??

It’s so weird. The correct thing to do would be to buy a bb39, sell the jubilee to some poor soul who wants one on their BB58 and either stick it on leather or buy a ranger bracelet.
    Surely all these new models are, are in fact a steel version of the BB S&G models they all ready make.

The previous BB36 (blue, silver, black dials, oyster bracelet ETA) have been discontinued as there really wasn't a need for them any more. One could argue the re-released Ranger has taken that mantel.

BB58 and variations = Desk dive watch = Rolex Sub
    BB36 (various sizes) = Everyday watch = Rolex OP
    Ranger = tool watch = Explorer
    GMT = Travel watch = GMT Rolex
    BB Pro = Explorer 2
    Pelagos = serious diver = Sea dweller.
    BB Chonos = Daytona

Tudor is just trimming the fat from its line up and looking to come into the market segment Rolex used to operate in.

Just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post

Also I’m not clear on why we should care about them moving towards METAS certification on all watches when they’re already guaranteed as better than COSC anyway.
    Big advantage of METAS is anti magnetic properties

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Big advantage of METAS is anti magnetic properties
    I think the main point of METAS for Tudor is to put them as a competitor for Omega instead of Rolex.

Slowly but surely happening.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Surely all these new models are, are in fact a steel version of the BB S&G models they all ready make.

The previous BB36 (blue, silver, black dials, oyster bracelet ETA) have been discontinued as there really wasn't a need for them any more. One could argue the re-released Ranger has taken that mantel.

BB Pro = Explorer 2
    BB Chonos = Daytona

Tudor is just trimming the fat from its line up and looking to come into the market segment Rolex used to operate in.

Just my thoughts
    I agree with your comparisons but for me the problem with the vast majority of Tudors is they are either too small or too thick. BB Pro, BB chronos and GMT are all way too thick imo.

By comparison, the equivalent Rolex models are all elegantly slim and that makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    White dialled GMT looks great, shame its still 41mm.
    Yep they missed a trick there, now watch Rolex introduce a 40mm Ground Crew GMT next year
    Last edited by Chris B; 28th March 2023 at 11:27. Reason: typo

BB Pro = Explorer 2
    BB Chonos = Daytona

Just my thoughts
    I don’t disagree with your comparisons above, my point is that they’re trying to stretch the black bay into every category and to me, it doesn’t work in this configuration.

Sure, one can argue Rolex repeats the submariner layout for the GMT, ExpII, YM, SD. However, they have the good sense to have a different dial and handset for the DJ, OP, skydweller, Daytona, Exp I. Those are more elegant watches and that’s reflected in more than than the case and bracelet.

Tudor had a datejust / day date it was the Tudor Prince, and last I checked they still sold it in Asia. Rather than making a confused mess out of the BB, why not bring back a prince redesign?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I agree with your comparisons but for me the problem with the vast majority of Tudors is they are either too small or too thick. BB Pro, BB chronos and GMT are all way too thick imo.

By comparison, the equivalent Rolex models are all elegantly slim and that makes all the difference.
    They have to make them that way, otherwise why would people shell out for the crown I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I don’t disagree with your comparisons above, my point is that they’re trying to stretch the black bay into every category and to me, it doesn’t work in this configuration.

Sure, one can argue Rolex repeats the submariner layout for the GMT, ExpII, YM, SD. However, they have the good sense to have a different dial and handset for the DJ, OP, skydweller, Daytona, Exp I. Those are more elegant watches and that’s reflected in more than than the case and bracelet.

Tudor had a datejust / day date it was the Tudor Prince, and last I checked they still sold it in Asia. Rather than making a confused mess out of the BB, why not bring back a prince redesign?

Maybe they just want to stick to the formula that works, with Tudor BB works & is (everything) I agree the use of BB should be dropped and follow GMT, Ranger etc though.

Maybe they dont want to stretch with too much change, otherwise sales may impeach their big brother, if you can get a prince datejust with non snowflake hands, in house movement, jubilee style bracelet, why shell out 3x the price for a Rolex, mass markets wouldnt notice the difference WIS do. If a sales rep says sorry no more list for that model, but can I tempt you with Tudor, same company, factory etc joe public will probably take it rather then Omega, Cartier.

Also I dont know how well the older style BB36's sold, I never sore many in ADs windows.

If it wasnt for the fact I bought my missus a Tudor Glamour for Christmas which has the jubilee style bracelet, I'd probably go for the oyster style. However it's nice enough and also different from my BB58 to warrant me potentially purchasing the new BB36
    Last edited by McBeardy; 28th March 2023 at 11:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I would have liked to see a version of the FXD on a bracelet, with the new clasp. Oh and a date. That would be a perfect everyday wearer IMHO.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk
    https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watche.../m25600tb-0001

Has anyone gone down for the white GMT yet?

I was meant to try one on today but when I turned up they hadn’t had the delivery yet.

Think it would look great on rubber.

I watched a video on the BB54 today. Much nicer case shape than most Blackbay’s. Thinner, less slabs sided.
    The bezel colours are a big improvement IMO. I was not that fussed at first but this now looks to be the most interesting to me.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 31st March 2023 at 21:42.

Master
    Maybe they just want to stick to the formula that works, with Tudor BB works & is (everything) I agree the use of BB should be dropped and follow GMT, Ranger etc though.

Maybe they dont want to stretch with too much change, otherwise sales may impeach their big brother, if you can get a prince datejust with non snowflake hands, in house movement, jubilee style bracelet, why shell out 3x the price for a Rolex, mass markets wouldnt notice the difference WIS do. If a sales rep says sorry no more list for that model, but can I tempt you with Tudor, same company, factory etc joe public will probably take it rather then Omega, Cartier.

Also I dont know how well the older style BB36's sold, I never sore many in ADs windows.

If it wasnt for the fact I bought my missus a Tudor Glamour for Christmas which has the jubilee style bracelet, I'd probably go for the oyster style. However it's nice enough and also different from my BB58 to warrant me potentially purchasing the new BB36
    Not sure anyone really buys a Rolex over a Tudor for the reasons you gave. They buy a Rolex because it's Rolex. The only difference between the 'mass-market' and WIS Rolex-buyer is that only the WIS feels the need to appeal to such reasoning to justify their purchase!