closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a brilliant bank

Recommend me a brilliant bank

Having read of Keith’s credit card travails in WT… can someone recommend a really good, helpful, available, bank?

Recommend me a brilliant bank

I think the default answer here is going to be first direct. MX-5 of banks.

Blog Entries
    I can recommend Amex for credit card service. Recommend Starling for an online bank.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nationwide. Not actually a bank, but that’s no bad thing currently.

Silicon Valley Bank (SVB).

Brilliant Bank.

I have been with Halifax bank 40 years, pay money in, take money out, had the odd loan, had an over draft and use their Clarity card when abroad. Never had any problems on the phone or in the branch.

Master
    I'm with 3 banks / building societies, the only one I would recommend without hesitation is Starling bank.

They are brilliant and they have been ranked No1 for customer service over the past couple of years.

I believe Monzo were ranked joint 1st with Starling.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Mr. Boring reporting in as predicted with an endorsement for First Direct. A million miles away from the uncontactable parent company HSBC.

Master
    My default answer over the years has been first direct but I use Starling as well, and I'm seriously considering moving everything to them

It just works

Have to agree with First Direct.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Been with First Direct 30 years, excellent service. Their App isn’t quite as nice as some of the new start ups.

Another vote for Starling

Starling Bank, voted best British bank.
    The app is brilliant to use. I've been with them for years never any issues.

Craftsman
    First Direct and Starling for me

I've never had any problem with Coutts.

(mostly because I don't bank with them)

I've been with Lloyds for years.

(3/10 would not recommend)

I don't have much to compare with these days but now been with First Direct for about 20 years and its been pretty faultless.

As others have said I hear very good things about Starling and Monza but until something happens with FD I won't be changing.

Master
    I have both FD (virtually since they started) and Monzo. Both are fine but the Monzo app is better.

First direct for 30 years, can’t fault it. Noticed the other day there is a Ł175 welcome aboard incentive:

https://www.firstdirect.com/banking/current-account-mgm

Recently got a Starling account as they don’t charge for overseas cash withdrawals.

Credit card: Amex platinum cashback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Starling , Tide , Monzo , Nationwide flexplus . All good ( app for nationwide is a bit ropey).

HSBC avoid . Royal Bank of Scotland another one.

Craftsman
    I agree that Starling is brilliant. Modern systems that just work.

Master
    Monzo and Sterling have been great for me, with helpful customer service when I need it, unlike RBS and Barclays who I also have accounts with, who don’t seem to give two hoots about their customers.

Journeyman
    First direct and Chase. No issues with either of them.

Avoid Barclays and Santander.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Monzo and Sterling have been great for me, with helpful customer service when I need it, unlike RBS and Barclays who I also have accounts with, who don’t seem to give two hoots about their customers.
    Barclays, agreed. Been with them since 1985. I have no idea why I stay with them, they are unpleasant. Starling or First Direct should be where I move.

I am sure HSBC are a completely sh1t bank, but in the 35 years I have had my current account with them, it has just been silent efficiency.

Feels like the what washing machine thread, for banks.

Been with Monzo as my main current account since 2016. I think some people were/might still be reticent to go with a fintech app only bank but I think that’s gradually changing, especially as bank branches are closing. I prefer to interact with an app or text chat rather than speak to someone…it’s much more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I am sure HSBC are a completely sh1t bank, but in the 35 years I have had my current account with them, it has just been silent efficiency.

Feels like the what washing machine thread, for banks.
    I was with Midland/HSBC for 55 years. When the branches shut and my account effectively went online/phone, they became totally inaccessible, which is why I jumped ship. I went to FD which ironically is owned by HSBC, but so accessible when needed that I don't regret it.

Grand Master
    I banked with Yorkshire Bank for many years, they got taken over by Virgin a few years ago so I'm now with Virgin. Still got a couple of local branches within a 6 mile drive but I question how long that will continue.

I find them OK, I do online banking from my computer, easy to use and reliable. Just invested in a 12 month fixed rate ISA at 4.25% which was only available to existing customers, instant access savings account is currently giving 2.50% on first Ł25K.

All depends what you want from a bank. Having a local (ish) branch is a big plus for me.

I've been with the Co-Op bank since I got my first job at 16. I'm 66 in a couple of months and never had a problem. We do have a branch in the City, and there's also one up in the Toon, but I never use them and do all of my banking online, works seamlessly with Paypal, Apple Wallet etc etc.
    F.T.F.A.

I worked for the Co-op Bank for 11 years - it was my first job. I still have an account but I now use Starling for most purchases. It's really good as every time you use the card for a purchase the app notifies you, giving the payee and even the location. You can then take a pic of the receipt and attach this to the transaction, add a note, etc. It means you have a much better chance of realising something dodgy happening straight away, rather than discovering this later.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I've been with the Co-Op bank since I got my first job at 16. I'm 66 in a couple of months and never had a problem. We do have a branch in the City, and there's also one up in the Toon, but I never use them and do all of my banking online, works seamlessly with Paypal, Apple Wallet etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    I don't have much to compare with these days but now been with First Direct for about 20 years and its been pretty faultless.

As others have said I hear very good things about Starling and Monza but until something happens with FD I won't be changing.
    Exactly the same for me too.
    FD also pay Ł175 at the moment to switch to them I believe.

Master
    HSBC cost me about Ł2500 when they gummed up a swift transfer as the intermediary. By the time I traced the money and retrieved the shifting exchange rate left me Ł2.5k down . And they refused to accept any responsability or offer any compensation despite the sending and recieving banks doing their best to help win me some compensation.

Banking ombudsman did nothing either .

HSBC also refused to give me a mortgage once despite me having a current account with them for 20 years ( since they were midland in the UK ) with a balance in it higher than the mortgage I wanted .

No explanation , I even said to the nitwit on the phone I would be closing my accounts as they were so unhelpful , this was before the swift transfer fiasco.

At one point I’d asked to do a money transfer in person for a house deposit at the hsbc branch in central london as it was near my work . No problem , went in , was ushered upstairs to a vip meeting room , tea and biscuits and the transfer went through whilst I waited .

I then needed to take out Ł5k in cash for a car my missus wanted. So again called hsbc head office asked if I could use the oxford street branch . They phoned ahead to let them know I was coming in to do a sizable cash withdrawal.

I turn up , miserable witch at the window starts berating me for not giving them warning . I explain I did . Then moans and groans and stomps back and fortn getting the money together . Tells me they may not have enough Ł50 notes . By this stage I was just stony faced with her through the glass . Wants a withdrawal slip from me . “ You’ll have them in your chequebook” . I tell her I haven’t used a chequebook for 20 years so she harumps and stalks about complaining that they may nit have any withdrawal slips .

After counting yhe money she then says “ what do you want it for ?” I’m that taken aback I actually tell her “ er for a car” and she just glares at me .

Then dumps all the money loose in the slot , not bundled .

“Could you at least put it in an envelope for me “

More harumphing and complaints that they don’t really do that .

Said thanks and left , moved all my personal accounts to Nationwide the next day . HSBC didn’t even bother to ask me why I was shutting a 20 year old current account with a sizable chunk in it.

Still not enough yo avoid their screw up on the swift transfer . I use Wise all the time now specifically to avoid HSBC being the intermediary , never had a single issue with Wise.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    First Direct and Starling for me
    Both good, as are Nationwide and CHase

Chase edges Starling for me as they do a (decent) interest savings account and also cashback on debit card spending.

Master
    Blog Entries
    After NatWest managed to piss a 21yr relationship up the wall then never even asked why I was leaving, I started with First Direct 17 years ago - zero problems ever. Their offset mortgage was one of the best I've had as it offsets the whole balance of your current account daily, not some random savings account just offsetting interest.

Nationwide (my first ever mortgage was with them) - I like the fact they're not a bank and being a member that long means I get member offers now and then, though they've stopped doing as many as they used to.

I also have a Wise account just for the convenience of exchanging currency and spending in Euros when in Spain.

I moved to FD from Halifax for the joining fee. No complaints.
    Although I use Chase for spending cashback and savings.
    The Monzo app is very good and I see their savings pot is offering 3.2%.

First Direct are very good - been with them since they started.

Monzo also good - we use them when travelling.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I worked for the Co-op Bank for 11 years - it was my first job. I still have an account but I now use Starling for most purchases. It's really good as every time you use the card for a purchase the app notifies you, giving the payee and even the location. You can then take a pic of the receipt and attach this to the transaction, add a note, etc. It means you have a much better chance of realising something dodgy happening straight away, rather than discovering this later.
    The Co-Op also send a notification after a transaction has taken place.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    First Direct. Since around 1991.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The TSB for 61 years :(

Master
    TSB for 35 years. Can't think of any problems in that time.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Starling.

Starling seems to get a lot more recommendations here than Monzo - I’ve always seen them as doing something very similar. Anyone have or had both and can give an indication on what makes Starling better?

Craftsman
    Starling for me. The app is great and I also have a euro account which works well for me because we have children in Spain. Easy to transfer money between my accounts at mid-market rate and to send money abroad. Funnily enough, I have had very limited experience receiving money from Spain!

Was previously with First Direct who were very good but I just couldn’t stand banking with a subsidiary of HSBC after what has happened in Hong Kong and HSBC’s failure to condemn it. Useless gesture but it made me feel better and Starling are probably better. Faultless so far!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

HSBC for me and never experienced any real issues with them or Midland .... and unlike many friends, I cannot recall ever having to pay any bank charges in over 50 years (as distinct from Łinterest and arrangement fees).
    I did receive one snotty 'automated' letter 18 months ago but it was sent in error and they apologised.
    In my experience, if customers abide by their banks' rules, banks look after their customers.
    One potential problem with nearly all banks is the lack of personal service – especially with telephone queries where customers have to speak to an overseas helpline – but this is how most banks operate unless you can afford to pay bank charges to an 'up market' bank.
    Former colleagues who did not have a clue about money management, often experienced banking problems – but those difficulties were their own fault.
    My 'FREE' banking is likely subsidised by all the bank customers who incur bank charges because of their 'clueless about finance' syndrome.
    Last edited by sundial; 28th March 2023 at 00:47.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    I have Starling and Monzo having got in to online only banking with N26 before they left the UK.

I use Monzo as my main bank for day to day use, and I prefer the app with Monzo. And ease of transfer.

When my kids were a little younger I had kite cards for them via Starling which were great but now they are older they have their own Monzo accounts.

Customer service is great with both but I think Starling just edges it in that area.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    After NatWest managed to piss a 21yr relationship up the wall then never even asked why I was leaving, I started with First Direct 17 years ago - zero problems ever. Their offset mortgage was one of the best I've had as it offsets the whole balance of your current account daily, not some random savings account just offsetting interest.

Nationwide (my first ever mortgage was with them) - I like the fact they're not a bank and being a member that long means I get member offers now and then, though they've stopped doing as many as they used to.

I also have a Wise account just for the convenience of exchanging currency and spending in Euros when in Spain.
    We used their offset mortgage back in the day and it worked really well.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    Starling seems to get a lot more recommendations here than Monzo - I’ve always seen them as doing something very similar. Anyone have or had both and can give an indication on what makes Starling better?
    I've got Monzo for travel spending, don't have a Starling account but reading this https://www.finder.com/uk/starling-vs-monzo They are both pretty similar. With Starling offering these additional features.

1. You have "branch access" via the Post Office to pay in and withdraw cash.

2. You can scan in cheques via the app.

3. It's compatible with Samsung pay.

Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    I have accounts with both along with accounts with Co-op and Virgin (formally Yorkshire), I don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket, as for Starling / Monzo - pretty much the same.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    One potential problem with nearly all banks is the lack of personal service – especially with telephone queries where customers have to speak to an overseas helpline – but this is how most banks operate unless you can afford to pay bank charges to an 'up market' bank.
    This is precisely why Nationwide and First Direct are so good in my experience - they both have UK only call centres.