closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Getting back into golf after 20 years

Getting back into golf after 20 years

When I was younger I played golf. I loved it. I practiced a lot, and played a coupe of times a week with a mate who played off scratch. I actually played to a reasonable standard - at my best (when I was 23 or 24) I played off 4.2 (membership at Thetford GC). Then I moved to London, got a proper job (and so had far less free time), practiced far less and my game suffered as a result.

For the next 10 years or so, although I let my club membership lapse, I kept up membership of a couple of golf societies and played socially maybe a couple of times a month, but never to the standard I'd played at before. I found that frustrating, and eventually in 2002 the inevitable happened. Driving home from a golf day (where I'd had an absolute stinker) I decided that was enough. No more using precious days from my holiday entitlement to put myself through this. I put my clubs away and gave up golf.

Without my knowledge, recently a couple of the guys from my gym signed me up for a golf day they were planning. At some stage I'd obvioulsy mentioned that I used to play, and they thought I'd enjoy it. It's a social round, with golfers of a range of abilities (handicaps range from 22 to 9), but when they told me I was actually a bit concerned. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and wasn't sure I could even hit a ball anymore. I'll admit I was fearful of embarrassing myself!

So, over the last couple of weeks I've found my clubs (all but my driver - I'm really not sure what happened to that), cleaned them up (they were filthy and a little rusty - and my golf bag had become a home for so many spiders! see photo below) and visited my local driving range. I think I can honestly say that I had forgotten just how frustrating golf can be! It's been 2 weeks (and 6 trips to the range) and I feel the madness has returned. I find myself thinking about my swing all the time, trying to work out why I'm doing certain things (hitting the ball 10 yards right of target is the predominant issue at the moment - I can't work out if it's a slight fade or I'm blocking) and I've noticed a big change in my social media feed - now every second post is something to do with golf.

How am I doing? Bottom line is that I feel I'm hitting the ball well enough not to embarass myself. My long irons are pretty solid, but my chipping is simply rubbish (no feel at all), and I will admit that I haven't practiced at all with my putter.

So, why am I writing this. I'm honestly not sure. I certainly don't want any tips (my head is full enough of golf as it is), but I know there are some golfers here so I thought you might find someone's fall back into this game amusing. The golf day is Tuesday. My aim is to enjoy it and not embarrass myself too much. Oh, and if I could break 100 on my first round in 20 years that wouldn't be too shabby, either. Wish me luck!

One final thing I will add to this post - wow, driving ranges have changed in 20 years! Back in my day they were cold, lonely places - basically a field with bays at one end and a few markers to aim at. Now, my local range has TopTracer bays, is heated and there's even a bar with waitress service! Every shot gets traced and analysed, and so many different games on TopTracer to keep things interesting.

I started enjoying golf a lot more when I accepted the fact I'm crap at golf.
    Think a lot of it depends on who you play with. Our regular circle of golf friends includes a young lad who plays off scratch and a lady who plays off 36.
    My days of playing with obnoxious cocks who laugh at any sub 240yd drives are long gone.
    Just try and enjoy it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I think I’m lucky in never having been good enough to get frustrated by a bad shot or bad round. Delighted if I score under 100 and always focus on the pleasurable aspect. Perhaps a concerted effort to leave the competitive aspect and self-flagellation behind you

Master
    I'd suggest borrowing some modern clubs, even better if the shafts are suited to your swing speed now, as modern irons are much more forgiving than they were 30 years ago. The driver I used back then would be just a little bigger than my 3 wood now and nowhere near as forgiving in terms of distance and dispersion.

If you do play with your clubs then cut yourself a lot of slack, I'm low single figures but suspect I'd be 10+ more using your clubs or any old set that's also unlikely to suit my current swing.

Enjoy and if you get the bug again get fitted for some modern clubs and you'll be single figures again in no time.

Master
    A 4 handicap previously… you’ll be back into it in no time. Like Dave says get yourself some modern kit and you’ll be single figures again in short order. I’m playing off 6 currently and aiming for 4 this summer.

Good luck and, most importantly, enjoy!

The good thing about worrying about your golf swing is that it takes your mind off worrying about real things like work, etc.

Master
    Cancel the day with a phoney injury and get the clubs into the skip.
    Better for your sanity and live off past glories.

You think it will all come back, but you don't realise just how less 'supple' you are................

I think it takes a while to get back to something 'not embarrasing' Don't ask me how..................................

Tried it once, it rained, that's it for me.....

Master
    A 4 handicapper !! It’s like riding a bike you’ll slot straight back in and the bug will bite again. You have been warned

If you used to play off 4 I think you’ll pick it up quite easily,like what had already been mentioned,if you get back into it and get some modern clubs you’ll be flying.
    I’d be happy to get back to 18 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I'd suggest borrowing some modern clubs, even better if the shafts are suited to your swing speed now, as modern irons are much more forgiving than they were 30 years ago. The driver I used back then would be just a little bigger than my 3 wood now and nowhere near as forgiving in terms of distance and dispersion.

If you do play with your clubs then cut yourself a lot of slack, I'm low single figures but suspect I'd be 10+ more using your clubs or any old set that's also unlikely to suit my current swing.

Enjoy and if you get the bug again get fitted for some modern clubs and you'll be single figures again in no time.
    I think I'll keep going with my old Taylor Made LCG irons for now and see how I do. If (and it's a big "if") I decide to take this up, then I can see there have been some big changes that I should investigate. Custom fitting now seems the norm, and there is obvious sense in using clubs that are set up to suit my swing. I know myself too well - I like shiny new things, but at the moment I'm trying to resist the urge to book into a custom fitting day

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    I think I'll keep going with my old Taylor Made LCG irons for now and see how I do. If (and it's a big "if") I decide to take this up, then I can see there have been some big changes that I should investigate. Custom fitting now seems the norm, and there is obvious sense in using clubs that are set up to suit my swing. I know myself too well - I like shiny new things, but at the moment I'm trying to resist the urge to book into a custom fitting day
    Makes sense, my comment was directed more at having realistic expectations given your time away. Aside from limitations in flexibility, I'm a firm believer that a decent golf swing when you're young never leaves you.
    Have a look on YouTube for some of Phil (LIV, spit) Mickelson's videos on chipping, I regularly revisit them if I'm struggling with up and downs as they're good reminders of the basics but it may take a while to consistently get your feel back.

Master
    I was once invited to Wentworth for a corporate day out. Because I had never played a round of golf in my life I was given a few hours of 1:1 tuition by some guy called Paul Broadhurst who was some sort of rising star.

He kept flashing a gold DJ which evidently he won and kept saying going into golf was the best thing he ever did. He did a pretty good job of the tuition but somehow it just was not my cup of tea, so I spent a few hours with a bunch of similar useless articles sipping whisky.

I have friends who are absolutely obsessed with the game so it must have something about it.

The only thing that would worry me about re starting later in life is whether you would run the risk of doing your back in with all of that swinging of the clubs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you act early you may be able to avoid this end of life activity … golf just seems to make people miserable and their partners grumpy.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    … golf just seems to make people miserable and their partners grumpy.

I find a few pints after the round and then a nice bottle of claret make all those issues go away..............until the next round that is.

Craftsman
    You'd be surprised how well 20+ year old clubs hold their own vs current offerings. The golf industry is all about marketing guff and finding new ways to sell you expensive golf clubs that probably won't improve your game. £400+ for a shiny new driver these days ... and it was only a couple of years ago that Dechambeau beat the season's average driving distance record on the US PGA Tour that was set back in 2003. The top pros using the latest and greatest gear from 2004 to 2020 hadn't been able to match it LOL.

As it always was, practice is the key to getting good, especially short game and putting. "You can't buy a game" as the old saying goes ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you’d been closer I would’ve let you borrow my set of TMs along with these ‘side of house’ metal woods they do now. You could then see how the new tech has changed everything.

I played of 8 at one point and then lost my way with the game. I felt that every time I addressed the ball it had to be hit correctly or I was busted. Got back into it again and then bought this set and made the switch from blade irons to cavity backs. Unbelievable difference in the kit and distance.

One thing: I ended up teeing the ball beyond my left foot to make better sweet spot connection of the ‘woods’ given the speed of my swing. I then had both hips replaced and my body shape and swing altered. Back to clubs being kept in the garage again.

Enjoy the return Toshi - and make sure you get the right balls. Yes seriously. They too have changed from the days of Dunlop 65s and uniroyal hexagonals.

Good luck! Enjoy the 19th!!!!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Enjoy the return Toshi - and make sure you get the right balls. Yes seriously. They too have changed from the days of Dunlop 65s and uniroyal hexagonals.
    I still have a couple of boxes of Top Flight XLs to get through before I contemplate buying new golf balls

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    I find a few pints after the round and then a nice bottle of claret make all those issues go away..............until the next round that is.
    I have observed that technique, to address my first point but makes the latter more extreme.

Golf widows are best avoided.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post

Good luck! Enjoy the 19th!!!!

Jim
    lol
    20 years since he played not 45

I used to play golf with a couple of mates years ago but we never really
    were any good or took it too seriously, the best bit was the full english afterwards.

I never had lessons or practised my `swing`.
    I think my main problem was i stood too close to the ball - after i`d hit it...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I still have a couple of boxes of Top Flight XLs to get through before I contemplate buying new golf balls
    That takes me back. I actually liked their x outs better than the firsts.

Have a great time!

Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    lol
    20 years since he played not 45
    Tell me about it. I suddenly feel really old 🤪🤪

Fantastic game, I took it up at 48 don’t know what I’d do without it. I just wish the weather was a tad better in the UK. I’ve only managed three rounds so far this year. Essex is pretty much flooded at the moment.No good for me as I use a buggy. Welcome back to the best sport. Getting a fitting with modern technology will blow your mind, especially drivers so easy to hit.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a house full of golf balls. If you want a few up to date balls FOC just drop me a PM with your address and I’ll happily post you half a dozen.

Golf is the most addictive thing going. That one good shot makes it all worth while. This week with the clocks going forward means back out after work for a few holes. There’s not much better

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    I have a house full of golf balls. If you want a few up to date balls FOC just drop me a PM with your address and I’ll happily post you half a dozen.

Golf is the most addictive thing going. That one good shot makes it all worth while. This week with the clocks going forward means back out after work for a few holes. There’s not much better
    That's very kind, but let me see how I get on with what I have first. The golf day was cancelled due to the course being saturated - it will be rearranged, but possibly not until the second half of May, so the driving range will have to do for now.

Once I get back to a stage where I'm happy with the way I'm striking the ball consistently I'll start considering whether it's a good idea to look into new tech (clubs & balls) - although I will admit to watching several videos of club fitting sessions (mainly Ping & Callaway) which have impressed. When I was playing before, custom meant a choice of either regular or stiff shafts!

Master
    That's very kind, but let me see how I get on with what I have first. The golf day was cancelled due to the course being saturated - it will be rearranged, but possibly not until the second half of May, so the driving range will have to do for now.

Once I get back to a stage where I'm happy with the way I'm striking the ball consistently I'll start considering whether it's a good idea to look into new tech (clubs & balls) - although I will admit to watching several videos of club fitting sessions (mainly Ping & Callaway) which have impressed. When I was playing before, custom meant a choice of either regular or stiff shafts!
    Yes the fitting now really is pretty impressive. I was always a skeptic but having gone through the process for my irons a couple of months ago I have to say it has had a massive positive impact on my game. I’m hitting a lovely set of TM 770s now, and the swap to stiff shafts has been a revelation. I’m gunning for low single figures now (if I can sort my putting of course!).