closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Adjusting bracelets

Craftsman

Adjusting bracelets

I generally remember to occasionally re-tighten bracelet fasteners but had a scare recently when a threaded pin fell out and my watch headed for the floor. Luckily, with cat-like reflexes I caught it before it came to harm, but this made me think do you use a spot of thread locking adhesive on yours?
    I believe Loctite 221, a low strength adhesive, is suitable. The problem can be removing these tiny threads once they’ve been glued in, which is why I assemble them dry.

Grand Master
    Bracelet screws are usually assembled with a dab of threadlock, a quick careful dose of heat from a naked flame will soften it for removal. well worrh checking them periodically. They can loosen after cleaning a bracelet particularly if an ultrasonic cleaner is used, sometimes the dirt is holding them in. Same applies to pins and tubes, which can corrode and wear to a surprising extent.

- - - Updated - - -

Bracelet screws are usually assembled with a dab of threadlock, a quick careful dose of heat from a naked flame will soften it for removal. well worrh checking them periodically. They can loosen after cleaning a bracelet particularly if an ultrasonic cleaner is used, sometimes the dirt is holding them in. Same applies to pins and tubes, which can corrode and wear to a surprising extent.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you recommend a particular manufacturer and type? If not, I’ll order some Loctite 221, a low-strength thread lock adhesive

Master
    That will do it perfectly.

I do check mine on occasion. A quick way is to slide one's index finger along the bracelet edge. If anything protrudes it needs attention.

Grand Master
    Loctite 221 should be OK, don’t put too much on. I use an old oiler to apply a small drop.

When removing and applying heat, think where the threads are and be sure to heat the right bit!

As for press- fit pins, I use the plain end of a springbar tool to apply gentle pressure, if any are loose they’ll move with little pressure and need replacing. I always check bracelets and springbars, even if I haven’t disturbed them, surprising how often the screws are loose!

Craftsman
    Thanks all for your replies