closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sony WH-1000XM4 Noise Cancelling Headphones Advice

Master
    Blog Entries

Sony WH-1000XM4 Noise Cancelling Headphones Advice

Chaps,

Are Sony WH-1000XM4 noise cancelling headphones GOOD?

Thanks

Bry

Which seem to think so. They give them 81% & ‘Best Buy’ status.

However, FWIW, they give WH-1000XM3 91% (and they are cheaper).
    Last edited by Bravo73; 24th March 2023 at 13:32.

I have these & I would recommend

XM3 are good, I'm sure the XM4 wouldn't disappoint.

I've got the XM5s and they are great!

Craftsman
    I have the XM3, I’m sure the XM4 will have that Sony tone too

Master
    Another positive vote. I have the 3’s and 4’s and find them comfy with excellent range of sound.

Sony WH-1000XM4 Noise Cancelling Headphones Advice

I found the prices of these and Bose jump around like crazy. I suppose it is the new world of dynamic pricing.

For example John Lewis had some QC45s for £190 last week, but cheapest seem to be £250 now.

If you are not impulsive and wait until a deal arrives, which they invariably do quite often, you can save a good chunk of cash.

Good, very. The best... that's subjective. They are without doubt one of the best around, you can't really go wrong with them. Personally I found the sound stage a bit too narrow and not as expansive as I'd like, and I had better luck with Bose and Apple equivalents. It's a very personal thing though, so if you have somewhere near you to try them (John Lewis is often a convenient option) I'd recommend doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    It's a very personal thing though, so if you have somewhere near you to try them (John Lewis is often a convenient option) I'd recommend doing so.
    My local John Lewis has the Sony XM4, XM5 and Bose 700, QC45 all on demo in a row.

They are all good headphones in isolation, and the only way to notice the comparative difference is to listen to music and then swap them over quickly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    My local John Lewis has the Sony XM4, XM5 and Bose 700, QC45 all on demo in a row.

They are all good headphones in isolation, and the only way to notice the comparative difference is to listen to music and then swap them over quickly.
    Not sure I’d be comfortable sticking them in my ears knowing they have been in someone else’s

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Not sure I’d be comfortable sticking them in my ears knowing they have been in someone else’s
    Lol. They are not buds.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Lol. They are not buds.
    Ha ha - just realised. Serves me right, although it’s a subtle difference between model nos (WH and WF)!!

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Ha ha - just realised. Serves me right, although it’s a subtle difference between model nos (WH and WF)!!
    Although if they were, my ears are right manky, so I’d be more worried for others than myself.

What do you mean by "GOOD"?

I have both the Bose QC 25 (several years behind the most recent model) and the Sony XM4. The XM4s are good.

I personally prefer the tactile buttons on the Bose model, the Sony model is all swipes and taps, it just feels unintuitive to me.

The Sony has some clever tech stuff I never use.

They are equally comfortable for extended periods of time. The noise cancelling and sound quality is comparable.

Hope that helps

Master
    Good? I would say so yes.
    I bought a brand new pair a month or so ago for an upcoming flight and also late night TV watching when getting home from afternoon shifts.
    I don't have experience of others but find these very comfortable and I'm really impressed with the sound delivered.
    Noise cancelling was also spot on during flight, glad I bought mine (at £225)
    I'd definitely recommend.

I have the XM3's and for me the Sony's XM series are probably the best Noise cancelling/audio equality headphones under £500. I have tried Bose in the past and although the noise cancelling was as good as the Sony's, the audio quality was not there in comparison. My only negative is that for me I can't listen to them for extended periods as the ear pads get far too hot and uncomfortable, but that just may be me. The acid test though, if I lost/broke my current XM3's, would I buy another pair of XM's and the answer is yes, I would.

Master
    Blog Entries

Thanks

Thanks chaps.

Astounding noise cancelling, but I must be one of the few folk who just couldn’t get along with them.
    I was a little freaked out and uncomfortable wearing them in public as I was always looking around me worrying that a car might be bearing down on me or a person trying to get my attention with me blissfully unaware.
    My ears got too hot, and it felt like increased pressure on my eardrums with all the negative sound waves being emitted to combat ambient noise. Perhaps I was imagining the pressure, but I sold mine and am fare more comfortable with AirPods

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Astounding noise cancelling, but I must be one of the few folk who just couldn’t get along with them.
    I was a little freaked out and uncomfortable wearing them in public as I was always looking around me worrying that a car might be bearing down on me or a person trying to get my attention with me blissfully unaware.
    My ears got too hot, and it felt like increased pressure on my eardrums with all the negative sound waves being emitted to combat ambient noise. Perhaps I was imagining the pressure, but I sold mine and am fare more comfortable with AirPods
    Agree with your first point - I like to hear the sounds of the environment I’m in, whatever they might be.

You can turn the noise canceling off if uo7 want to hear the environment