timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dropped my Sinn U2, now no worky

Craftsman

Dropped my Sinn U2, now no worky

EDIT: now worky!!

Hi all,

Phucking gutted.

I dropped my U2 last night whilst taking it off… I broke the majority of its fall with my foot (ouch], but it continued its journey to the tiled floor by itself.

The crown will wind the movement (Sellita SW 330-1), will move the hands, the rotor spins, there are no marks at all on the case or crystal, but there is a complete absence of tick tock.

I ordered my beauty in Feb 2022, and received it direct from Sinn Frankfurt in Sept 2022, so it’s pretty much brand new.

Slight complication… I’m working a contract for 2 years in Vietnam currently, so I don't have any cheap, reliable or efficient way to get it back to Sinn.

Any advice please?

cheers,
    Effortless
    Last edited by Effortless; 29th March 2023 at 15:35. Reason: Watch now repaired!

That’s unlucky :(

Perhaps try one of the Sinn ADs in Vietnam if you can’t find a local watchmaker to take a look at it?

https://www.thehourglass.com/vn/bout...ountry=Vietnam

Master
    Mainspring is either broken or stuck.

This is Sellita inside IIRC?

That would be easy fix. If you find a good wathmaker.

I believe a member John Kennedy here lives in that part of the world, he may know a friendly watch maker locally?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I believe a member John Kennedy here lives in that part of the world, he may know a friendly watch maker locally?
    Had a quick look at the members list, and couldn't find him.

Do you know his username please?

Regards,
    Effortless

Quote Originally Posted by Effortless View Post
    Had a quick look at the members list, and couldn't find him.

Do you know his username please?

Regards,
    Effortless
    Sorry I got his name wrong
    It’s jon Kenney

Have you tried dropping it again, on the opposite side?

Hopefully it's something simple, like the soring being out of place and not doing any damage that can be quickly put right - but it looks like it needs seeing to by a competent professional.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Have you tried dropping it again, on the opposite side? ...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Hey, not as dumb as it sounds!!

I collect Seiko dive watches amongst other things, and I t’s a well-documented solution with some automatic Seiko divers (SKX etc), where a bump can get the balance spring hooked up on something (I can’t remember the precise details, but the info will be on here somewhere). IIRC the solution is to give it a bump on a particular side if the case which frees up the spring, and hey presto! A running Seiko again!

I know it sounds mad, but banging your watch case deliberately is a thing ha ha.

Cheers,
    Effortless.
    Last edited by Effortless; 23rd March 2023 at 17:01. Reason: Typos

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Have you tried dropping it again, on the opposite side?

Hopefully it's something simple, like the soring being out of place and not doing any damage that can be quickly put right - but it looks like it needs seeing to by a competent professional.
    I am aware that certain Seikos response positively to this solution (see my comment above), but I haven’t got the balls to drop my pride and joy on a tiled floor again. However I did give it a few tentative taps on various sides of the case on my wooden headboard. Sadly U2 still no worky!

But thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
    Effortless.

Grand Master
    It's possible that the hairspring has become snagged and caught up, if so that's a fairly straightforward fix for a repairer. If the balance cock and balance is carefully removed then refitted the fault will be corrected, that's easier than trying to free it up with tweezers. It would be wise to check the watch on a timegrapher to ensure the spring hasn`t distorted but there's every chance it'll be OK.

This seems to happen more often with Seikos, that's what previous comments referred to. You could try slapping the watch against the palm of your hand in different positions, that may free the spring, but don't go mad with it. I don`t recommend trying to take it apart yourself or letting a well-meaning friend do so, there's scope for it to end badly. Find someone who has a track record with fixing watches.

Master
    Hey, not as dumb as it sounds!!

I collect Seiko dive watches amongst other things, and I t’s a well-documented solution with some automatic Seiko divers (SKX etc), where a bump can get the balance spring hooked up on something (I can’t remember the precise details, but the info will be on here somewhere). IIRC the solution is to give it a bump on a particular side if the case which frees up the spring, and hey presto! A running Seiko again!

I know it sounds mad, but banging your watch case deliberately is a thing ha ha.

Cheers,
    Effortless.
    Seiko has special "tooth" on mainspring assembly. With Diashock jewels on mainplate it is designed to limit vertical movement of mainspring during shocks. Sometimes mainspring gets either stuck on it or it causes watch to run fast.

Slight hit on crown side unstucks it

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Seiko has special "tooth" on mainspring assembly. With Diashock jewels on mainplate it is designed to limit vertical movement of mainspring during shocks. Sometimes mainspring gets either stuck on it or it causes watch to run fast.
    t
    Slight hit on crown side unstucks it
    To clarify, I think you’re referring to the hairspring (balance spring) not the mainspring.

Craftsman
    U2 has a case filled with argon inert gas. It's probably requires a back to the factory job for a permanent fix.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    U2 has a case filled with argon inert gas. It's probably requires a back to the factory job for a permanent fix.
    Yup, that’s the plan long term. But in the short term, shipping from Vietnam to the EU is eye-wateringly expensive.

Cheers,
    Effortless.

Craftsman
    Ok, update!!

Sinn U2 now worky!!

I made a few enquiries in HCMC and was told of a watch service/repair place. Communication was difficult but I got a good feeling from the guy.

He had an array of good quality instruments on his bench (in full view of customers, which I always find reassuring), and soon had the back off.

He wore finger cots (great!) and worked slowly and deliberately, which is my preferred watchmaking work rate :-). A few more minutes and the rotor was off, and few minutes later and he was rummaging around in the guts of my U2.

A few minutes later my U2 was on his Weischi Timegrapher, and was returned to the +6 s/day it was running at before the drop.

He had a Bergeon gasket greaser to hand and greased the case back gasket before he screwed it on. I showed him pictures of me diving with the watch, so he knew it wasn’t a desk diver, and screwed the case back on firmly, happily with no marks to case, crystal, case back or anywhere else.

Very happy with his work, all for 150,000 vnđ, which is about £5.50… I shudder to think of the cost of return courier shipping to Sinn, and the cost of the repair that Sinn would have charged me, and the time it would have taken.

Long term however, I will get the watch returned to Sinn for a full service. The case has been opened, so the nitrogen it was filled with would have been dispersed. The copper sulphate crystals will be sucking up the moisture from the humid Saigon air, but so far no change in the colour of the indicator window at 6 o’clock. The impact has skipped a tooth or two on the GMT hand, so that is something the technicians at Sinn will have fix at service.

All in all, happy to have my watch back!

If anyone needs watch repairs in south Vietnam, I recommend this guy. Details on Google Maps are as follows;

Sửa chữa Đồng hồ HT
    +84 858 070 809
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/3gb4bQKYLWneykPYA?g_st=ic

Cheers,
    Effortless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    To clarify, I think you’re referring to the hairspring (balance spring) not the mainspring.
    My mistake. Typo.

Craftsman
    Glad your Sinn is now worky...looks great.

Craftsman
    . I showed him pictures of me diving with the watch, so he knew it wasn’t a desk diver, and screwed the case back on firmly, happily with no marks to case, crystal,
    Effortless.
    It's great that it's now running, but if it wasn't pressure tested, I'd be cautious around water.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    It's great that it's now running, but if it wasn't pressure tested, I'd be cautious around water.
    I had thought about that.

However most sport diving doesn’t go much beyond 20 m, and I’m pretty confidant it’ll survive that.

I have a DJI Action 3 camera that is waterproof down to 16 m without a dive case, and it has survived dives to those depths despite pretty basic water proofing.

Anyway, if it does go pear-shaped, I’ll be posting on here in floods of tears, showing you pictures of my flooded U2 🤣🤣

Cheers,
    Effortless