closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying into my SIPP???

Master
    Blog Entries

Paying into my SIPP???

Hi chaps & chapesses, I've not paid anything into my SIPP for the last 3 years as I was close to the lifetime allowance. The scrapping of the lifetime allowance (for now) has changed things. So how much can I put in before the end of the current tax year without being penalised?

Master
    Pretty sure you can pay up to £40,000 for the current year.

What I’m not sure is whether you can use ‘unused’ allowances from the two previous years.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...148-march-2023

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Pretty sure you can pay up to £40,000 for the current year.

What I’m not sure is whether you can use ‘unused’ allowances from the two previous years.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...148-march-2023
    I know it's 40K currently....but I want to put 40k in & I'm thinking that the tax relief might be included in the calculation so that would take me over 40k. But I thought that I could carry forward at least the last year's unused allowance????? That would do me to be honest....???
    Last edited by trident-7; 21st March 2023 at 21:39.

There is carry forward of unused amounts from previous years, I think it is up to 3 years. I'm planning to do exactly this next year when I know the input from my DB occupational scheme.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if...ension-savings

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    So how much can I put in before the end of the current tax year without being penalised?
    £40k for this year plus carry forward of £40k each for the previous three years if you haven’t used those annual allowances, up to a maximum of £160k. As long as you have earned what you intend to pay into your pension in this (2022-23) tax year.

Also beware that if you are carrying forward, and planning to use 2019-2020 annual allowance, the taper was much lower in 2019-20 when compared with 2020-21, 2021-22 and 2022-23. So check your annual allowance for that year if you intend to carry it forward.

I am in a very similar situation (close to LTA), but with the scrapping of LTA I will be adding this years annual allowance, and what carry forward I have left from my 3 previous years.

Also note that the 25% cash lump sum has been frozen at £268,275 (25% of 2022-23 LTA), so depending on your situation you may not get the benefit of taking a 25% lump sum from any future pension contributions.

Paying into my SIPP???

I know it's 40K currently....but I want to put 40k in & I'm thinking that the tax relief might be included in the calculation so that would take me over 40k. But I thought that I could carry forward at least the last year's unused allowance????? That would do me to be honest....???
    If you have 2019-20, 2020-21, 2021-22 and 2022-23 annual allowances available in full, and you then pay £80k into your pension in 2022-23, you will use your annual allowance in full from 2022-23 and your carry forward from 2019-20 (after using this years AA, then your carry forward is taken first from the earliest carry forward year).

This would then allow you in 2023-24 to add up to 140k by using 2023-24 AA of £60k and remaining £40k carry forward from 2020-21 and 2021-22.

Hope that makes sense.

Master
    Contributions are gross so £40,000 would mean you pay over £32k and the provider collects £8k basics rate relief.

My caution re the carried forward was just in case there was any odd rule about that where the then AA had been reached. You’d hope not but you’d need to check. Also the allowance is limited to your pensionable earnings if less than £40k (plus any b/f).
    Last edited by David_D; 21st March 2023 at 22:26.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    £40k for this year plus carry forward of £40k each for the previous three years if you haven’t used those annual allowances, up to a maximum of £160k. As long as you have earned what you intend to pay into your pension in this (2022-23) tax year.

Also beware that if you are carrying forward, and planning to use 2019-2020 annual allowance, the taper was much lower in 2019-20 when compared with 2020-21, 2021-22 and 2022-23. So check your annual allowance for that year if you intend to carry it forward.

I am in a very similar situation (close to LTA), but with the scrapping of LTA I will be adding this years annual allowance, and what carry forward I have left from my 3 previous years.

Also note that the 25% cash lump sum has been frozen at £268,275 (25% of 2022-23 LTA), so depending on your situation you may not get the benefit of taking a 25% lump sum from any future pension contributions.
    That last point is interesting to me. I’ve recently taken my NHS superannuation pension & that included a tax free lump sum. That may have to figure in my calculations

Master
    Worth bearing this in mind:

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/po...eted-approach/

Doubt they’d have the brass neck to reverse the change retrospectively but you never know!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Contributions are gross so £40,000 would mean you pay over £32k and the provider collects £8k basics rate relief.

My caution re the carried forward was just in case there was any odd rule about that where the then AA had been reached. You’d hope not but you’d need to check. Also the allowance is limited to your pensionable earnings if less than £40k (plus any b/f).
    That’s really helpful. Thanks David.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you have 2019-20, 2020-21, 2021-22 and 2022-23 annual allowances available in full, and you then pay £80k into your pension in 2022-23, you will use your annual allowance in full from 2022-23 and your carry forward from 2019-20 (after using this years AA, then your carry forward is taken first from the earliest carry forward year).

This would then allow you in 2023-24 to add up to 140k by using 2023-24 AA of £60k and remaining £40k carry forward from 2020-21 and 2021-22.

Hope that makes sense.
    Perfectly…thanks buddy!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    There is carry forward of unused amounts from previous years, I think it is up to 3 years. I'm planning to do exactly this next year when I know the input from my DB occupational scheme.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if...ension-savings

Dave
    Thanks Dave

That last point is interesting to me. I’ve recently taken my NHS superannuation pension & that included a tax free lump sum. That may have to figure in my calculations
    Not sure, but I thought that if you just taken a lump sum your annual allowance is unaffected, but if you draw a pension then MPAA kicks in and reduces AA to £4k this year (£10k next year) so you are not recycling pension for tax relief.

You may want to check.

Master
    Blog Entries
    How does it work when you pay into a SIPP?

I haven’t contributed to mine since I transferred in.

It’s with these guys. https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/

If I pay in do they recover the tax from HMRC and add it to my balance?

Paying into my SIPP???

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    How does it work when you pay into a SIPP?

I haven’t contributed to mine since I transferred in.

It’s with these guys. https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/

If I pay in do they recover the tax from HMRC and add it to my balance?
    Let’s say you want to make a gross £25k contribution to your pension, you pay the pension company £20k net and the pension company claims £5k from the Government representing the basic rate of tax, making a total gross contribution of £25k.

You then report this on your self assessment form, and if you are a higher rate tax payer HMRC will refund you the other 20% tax relief by bank transfer, so you get the full 40% tax relief.

If your marginal rate is greater than 40% then HMRC will refund you more to represent the greater rate of tax relief.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve just paid in an actual £40k. I believe that counts as £50k, but I haven’t used any of my allowance for the last 3 years so I think I should be ok.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Let’s say you want to make a gross £25k contribution to your pension, you pay the pension company £20k net and the pension company claims £5k from the Government representing the basic rate of tax, making a total gross contribution of £25k.

You then report this on your self assessment form, and if you are a higher rate tax payer HMRC will refund you the other 20% tax relief by bank transfer, so you get the full 40% tax relief.

If your marginal rate is greater than 40% then HMRC will refund you more to represent the greater rate of tax relief.
    I’m a basic rate tax payer, so I assume I just pay in and they claim the 20% back.

Do I have to report this on my Self Assessment.

What is the calculation to work out the max I can put in?

Edit. This is what I have found.

What are the rules for maximum contributions? Based on the current SIPP annual allowance you can contribute a maximum of 100% of your income OR up to £40,000 (the gross figure), whichever is lowest. For example, if you earn £30,000, your allowance would be £30,000, capped by your income.

What is the definition of income? Earned or does that include interest, dividends and rents?

Further edit.
    Seem relevant earnings is the key. Looks like rent can’t be used.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...44100#earnings
    Last edited by Montello; 21st March 2023 at 23:24.

Paying into my SIPP???

I’m a basic rate tax payer, so I assume I just pay in and they claim the 20% back.

If you are a basis rate tax payer you don’t do anything as the 20% relief is automatically provided when you make the pension payment to the pension company.

Can you pay it as salary sacrifice via your employer (if you have one)? You will also get significant NI relief too if they have a salary sacrifice scheme.

If you can’t get the 12% NI relief check if paying into a pension as a basic rate tax payer is worth it. At 67 your state pension will take up most of your personal allowance, so you’ll be taxed at nearly 20% on the way out (15% if you take the 25% cash lump sum).

Basic rate tax payers really should go after the NI benefit via employer salary sacrifice to get 32% tax relief.

My wife is a basic rate tax payer, and with salary sacrifice for employee NI relief and employer NI contributions (not all company’s donate employers NI) she was getting over 40% equivalent tax relief.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 21st March 2023 at 23:39.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Me and the wife are sole traders and pay tax at the basic rate.

So I assume we just pay some cash into our Vanguard sipps and Vanguard get an extra 20% from HMRC and add that to our account?

Is there anything more to it than that?
    Last edited by Montello; 21st March 2023 at 23:39.

Paying into my SIPP???

Nope. You have to have earned the amount you put in your pension in this tax year and paid tax at 20% on it to get that relief.

Master
    Me and the wife are sole traders and pay tax at the basic rate.

So I assume we just pay some cash into our Vanguard sipps and Vanguard get an extra 20% from HMRC and add that to our account?

If you pay in £20k HMRC will add another £5k - it's done automatically. However you do need to have £25k of relevant earning in the tax year.

Paying into my SIPP???

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    If you pay in £20k HMRC will add another £5k - it's done automatically. However you do need to have £25k of relevant earning in the tax year.
    Probably being dumb here but is there much point in this - won’t it be similarly taxed on withdrawal unless then a non-taxpayer?

Edit- There is tax-free lump sum but still only ~5% saving for basic rate tax payer.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 22nd March 2023 at 08:08.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Probably being dumb here but is there much point in this - won’t it be similarly taxed on withdrawal unless then a non-taxpayer?

Edit- There is tax-free lump sum but still only ~5% saving for basic rate tax payer.
    You are not being dumb, that’s correct.

The other benefit is the pot sits outside the IHT allowance.

There is also the possibility to draw it down tax free if you use your initial tax free allowance if you have no other income but the state pension uses most of that.

You are not being dumb, that’s correct.

The other benefit is the pot sits outside the IHT allowance.

There is also the possibility to draw it down tax free if you use your initial tax free allowance if you have no other income but the state pension uses most of that.
    Yep but presumably with a pot that size you start withdrawing we'll in advance of state pension age.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Yep but presumably with a pot that size you start withdrawing we'll in advance of state pension age.
    Was commenting on my post which was in response to a basic rate tax-payer topping up so likely not that large.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you retire early and have no income as you maybe living off savings before drawing your pension you can get free money via a SIPP, or so it seems.

Pay in £2880 which gets grossed up to £3600. This is the max contribution for people with no income.

Then draw down £3600 tax fee as part of your tax free allowance.

£720 free money each year or am I missing something ?
    Last edited by Montello; 22nd March 2023 at 12:03.

Paying into my SIPP???

Nope. As you say free money.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nope. As you say free money.
    I wonder how many people do that?

I’m using

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/

For my SIPP, anyone else use these?

How long does it take for you contributions to get grossed up? And do you pay in cash, wait for it to get grossed up then select a fund?

What are the mechanics?

Then there is the whole murkey world of pension recycling.

Do not fall foul of HMRC guidance and that can yield extra too.

How long does it take for you contributions to get grossed up? And do you pay in cash, wait for it to get grossed up then select a fund?

What are the mechanics?
    It gets grossed up immediately at the date of payment.

For example I just paid a large sum via debit card into my Aviva pension yesterday using their online function, and selected the fund it was to go into (including percentage). It was automatically and immediately grossed up on the payment page when I entered and submitted my debit card details, and my net payment was made.

For Aviva it takes 10 days to show the gross payment on your account, but it is back-dated to the date of payment. What matters for the tax year purposes is the date the money reaches Aviva's account, rather than the date it shows up on your online statement.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 22nd March 2023 at 12:13.

If you retire early and have no income as you maybe living off savings before drawing your pension you can get free money via a SIPP, or so it seems.

Pay in £2880 which gets grossed up to £3600. This is the max contribution for people with no income.

Then draw down £3600 tax fee as part of your tax free allowance.

Presumably that £3600 can't be put back in, that would be recycling (need another source of cash?).

Very few is my guess. Probably because it is not widely known.

Great for a non-working wife if you have the spare money.

Master

Well don't forget the 10/20/30 years of compounded gains as well. You aren't just deferring the tax, you are (hopefully) making a bigger pot as well.

Edit. This is what I have found.

What are the rules for maximum contributions? Based on the current SIPP annual allowance you can contribute a maximum of 100% of your income OR up to £40,000 (the gross figure), whichever is lowest. For example, if you earn £30,000, your allowance would be £30,000, capped by your income.

What is the definition of income? Earned or does that include interest, dividends and rents?

Further edit.
    Seem relevant earnings is the key. Looks like rent can’t be used.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...44100#earnings
    You can also set up an "executive pension scheme" so the profits of the company pay the contribution and then the 40k allowance applies not your salary. The company pays it gross I think and gets corp tax relief - which will be more useful if close to the 250k profits additional tax rate.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very few is my guess. Probably because it is not widely known.

Great for a non-working wife if you have the spare money.
    Not an option for us as we have rental income but a nice wheeze for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Well don't forget the 10/20/30 years of compounded gains as well. You aren't just deferring the tax, you are (hopefully) making a bigger pot as well.
    And more tax of course! For basic rate tax-payers with limited funds aren't they better off putting it in an ISA?

And more tax of course! For basic rate tax-payers with limited funds aren't they better off putting it in an ISA?
    If you want flexible access, yes.

But, between ages 55 (57 from 2028) and 67, and before your state pension kicks in, it can provide some regular tax free regular income for a non working wife, or anyone not working.

That way you get 20% relief on the way in an pay zero tax on the way out as it will likely be below the personal allowance

Just got to massage the system to your advantage, as there is little point getting 20% tax relief on the way in and paying 20% tax on the way out.

Obviously the goal is to maximise marginal tax relief on the contributions and minimise marginal tax on the pension income.

Just think out of the box a little.

Master
    This is interesting- I’m retired and 55 shortly - no income just living off my savings - wondering if this could work for me (free money)

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    This is interesting- I’m retired and 55 shortly - no income just living off my savings - wondering if this could work for me (free money)
    It will work for you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Yep, as I outlined above. And maybe for your partner also.

£1440 free money each year.

Master
    Yep, as I outlined above. And maybe for your partner also.

£1440 free money each year.
    Thanks I’ll do some research- I’m single so just me though

Master
    … as there is little point getting 20% tax relief on the way in and paying 20% tax on the way out.
    Think you can always take 25% of your savings as tax-free cash so some tax saving there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Think you can always take 25% of your savings as tax-free cash so some tax saving there.
    The real benefit is if you can extract the capital tax free using your personal allowance.

However, if you have any other income streams the benefit of a SIPP over an ISA for basic rate tax payers is ~5%. And for that 5% you lose some flexibility.

The other benefit being the SIPP is outside your IHT allowance for those who care about such matters.

Master

I’m using

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/

For my SIPP, anyone else use these?

What are the mechanics?
    For Vanguard SIPP (and others) it doesn’t get grossed up immediately. They give you 2 choices (assuming you don’t currently have cash in the account) - either add cash to your SIPP account or buy funds directly, using your debit card. I’ve always chosen the buy funds option. In this case you select your fund or funds (allocate a percentage to each), type in the amount you want to spend (eg £2880) and enter the debit card details.

Vanguard buy the funds - this can take a couple of days, and I’ve found that my card isn’t debited until that point. It can then take up to 8 weeks for Vanguard to extract the £720 from the government, at which point they add another £720 worth of funds to your account (at whatever price they are then). During the 8 weeks the £720 will show as pending in the cash statement part of your account. If the £720 arrives in the next tax year it will still be allocated to the tax year when you made the payment - if that makes sense.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    You can also set up an "executive pension scheme" so the profits of the company pay the contribution and then the 40k allowance applies not your salary. The company pays it gross I think and gets corp tax relief - which will be more useful if close to the 250k profits additional tax rate.
    Yup did this company paid into my executive sass and saved 6 figures on Corpy tax

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    For Vanguard SIPP (and others) it doesn’t get grossed up immediately. They give you 2 choices (assuming you don’t currently have cash in the account) - either add cash to your SIPP account or buy funds directly, using your debit card. I’ve always chosen the buy funds option. In this case you select your fund or funds (allocate a percentage to each), type in the amount you want to spend (eg £2880) and enter the debit card details.

Vanguard buy the funds - this can take a couple of days, and I’ve found that my card isn’t debited until that point. It can then take up to 8 weeks for Vanguard to extract the £720 from the government, at which point they add another £720 worth of funds to your account (at whatever price they are then). During the 8 weeks the £720 will show as pending in the cash statement part of your account. If the £720 arrives in the next tax year it will still be allocated to the tax year when you made the payment - if that makes sense.
    Thanks for that, most helpful.

Master
    In a SIPP, is the protection limited to 85k should the provider go under?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I think that's not relevant though right? As in the Sipp the holder owns stocks and the SIPP provider basically just charges a fee for brokering the purchases and sales and itemising what's in the account- with these stocks not actually held by the SIPP provider?

Master
    It will work for you.
    Is there anywhere that can explain how I’d go about this and how it actually works - I’m doing a bit of research but a little lost
    Do I need to wait until I’m 55 (July)
    I save a SIPP I started when I took VR 2 years ago (£50k) I presume I could inject into this.?
    Last edited by lewie; 24th March 2023 at 09:01.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Investors money is always ring-fenced and if the provider goes under your assets are passed to another provider to manage

On withdrawal you enjoy 25% tax free and also can use your annual personal allowance to make a further £12,540 if the withdrawal tax free. So definitely worthwhile.