closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor service thoughts.

Master

Tudor service thoughts.

My Tudor Sub is with Rolex but unfortunately they want to change the hands to luminova in order to have it serviced.
    As the hands don’t currently match and I’d like the case recut/ refinished I’m thinking that I want to go ahead with the work.
    If I refuse the service, are there independents that can refinish the case to Rolex standard?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does Genesis not finish Tudor as well as Rolex? Its going back a few years but they done a great job on one of my watches.

Tudor service thoughts.

I would leave a vintage model like this unpolished and keep as many original parts as possible.

Take it to an independent. Keep it original. Genesis did a great job on my wife's datejust last year after Rolex refused to service it without replacing the dial and hands.

If you're in or around London take it to the The Watch Polisher who'll do the best case and bracelet refurb.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

Hi, what model is it? I'm curious as to the size of your watch.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

If it were mine I would not touch the case and would definitely leave the dial and hands alone.
    Rolex refused to service my 7016 as they no longer have the dial and hands, so point blank refused to service the movement (go figure)
    If you are insistent on a polish then I would go to the likes of Genesis as they would do a good but sympathetic job.
    It’s only original once.

Craftsman
    Don’t do it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    Hi, what model is it? I'm curious as to the size of your watch.

It’s a 79090 model.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I’ll contact Genesis and ask about refinishing as I’m now on the fence regarding this.

It could also be worth contacting Steven Hale as they are Rolex accredited.

I believe they are also the company Rolex advise people to use if they are unable to service.

Rocco at Watchworks Bristol does re-finishing, in fact his lapping machine was bought from the RSC, and I think he has trained Rolex staff how to use theirs.
    I would advise against re-finishing, but acknowledge that it is your watch and your choice.
    D

Master
    Blog Entries
    Whatever you do with it, that’s a nice watch. Would live one on a nato .

Master
    I’ve contacted an independent who will service the watch while retaining the handset, I also require a bracelet to be fitted as its head only.
    Unfortunately they are £600 more than Rolex.
    I’m not sure I like the original handset that much…

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    I’ve contacted an independent who will service the watch while retaining the handset, I also require a bracelet to be fitted as its head only.
    £600 more expensive? Are you sure you’re comparing on a like for like basis?

Suggest you contact either Bill Rice (Williamricewatches) at Beverley or Simon Freese. Bill Rice was Rolex accredited for many years, he’ll refinish it sympathetically if you discuss the job with him and tell him what you want.

I would get it lightly refinished, I don’t like scruffy watches and I don’t agree with the ‘originality’ argument. Originally they weren’t scratched and battered, the polished bits were shiny and the grained bits were sharply grained, my definition of originality is to make it look as originally intended.........not a popular view thesedays . Blame the internet, folks read stuff and become conditioned to hold what is perceived to be the ‘correct’ view.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    £600 more expensive? Are you sure you’re comparing on a like for like basis?

Suggest you contact either Bill Rice (Williamricewatches) at Beverley or Simon Freese. Bill Rice was Rolex accredited for many years, he’ll refinish it sympathetically if you discuss the job with him and tell him what you want.

I would get it lightly refinished, I don’t like scruffy watches and I don’t agree with the ‘originality’ argument. Originally they weren’t scratched and battered, the polished bits were shiny and the grained bits were sharply grained, my definition of originality is to make it look as originally intended.........not a popular view thesedays . Blame the internet, folks read stuff and become conditioned to hold what is perceived to be the ‘correct’ view.
    Yes, a like for like quote.
    A full service and a new bracelet.
    The bracelet is the same cost but the servicing costs are far higher.
    Tbf, the RSC Tudor service costs are a pleasant surprise.

Craftsman
    Showing my ignorance on such things - but what do Rolex insist on changing the hands?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Showing my ignorance on such things - but what do Rolex insist on changing the hands?
    Because it’s Rolex 😅

Apparently there are pinholes in the tritium…
    I had a 1680 serviced by them fairly recently with no problems, I’d say the hands were in no worse shape.
    Thank goodness my Milsub was serviced by them in 2006 when HH was there!

Master
    Hi Loupe

Is it the colour of the hands that you dislike? They could be stabilised and coloured to suit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Hi Loupe

Is it the colour of the hands that you dislike? They could be stabilised and coloured to suit.
    The hands are brighter than the plots just now but if they are changed then they will be luminova replacements.
    The existing are tritium

Master
    The hands are brighter than the plots just now but if they are changed then they will be luminova replacements.
    The existing are tritium
    You could always alter the colour of the trit ones to suit.

I’d be asking James Hyman to stabilise and colour coordinate the hands to the lume plots and personally leave the case untouched. Could always revisit at a later date with any of the independents mentioned if it remained an issue.

Master
    Yes, a like for like quote.
    A full service and a new bracelet.
    The bracelet is the same cost but the servicing costs are far higher.
    Tbf, the RSC Tudor service costs are a pleasant surprise.
    It is a basic 2824 movement. £150 for a movement service should be enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    You could always alter the colour of the trit ones to suit.
    I think I’ll source a set of tritium hands afterwards if Rolex service the watch.
    £200 Rolex service or £750 from a Indy only to keep the tritium hands doesn’t make sense to me.
    It’s pretty beat up so I want the case polished as I’m putting a new bracelet on it.
    The vintage brigade may faint at the thought of a polish but in this instance I think it’s the correct choice

Master
    I think I’ll source a set of tritium hands afterwards if Rolex service the watch.
    £200 Rolex service or £750 from a Indy only to keep the tritium hands doesn’t make sense to me.
    It’s pretty beat up so I want the case polished as I’m putting a new bracelet on it.
    The vintage brigade may faint at the thought of a polish but in this instance I think it’s the correct choice
    Can you remove the hands and then send it in? They are not cheap.

Master
    Can you remove the hands and then send it in? They are not cheap.
    That might have been a sensible thing to do if I had thought they may refuse the service with the existing hands but they obviously now have the watch to give me an estimate.
    I’m not sure they would entertain servicing a watch missing its hand set tho!

Master
    £200 for a service sounds cheap!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    I’d be asking James Hyman to stabilise and colour coordinate the hands to the lume plots and personally leave the case untouched. Could always revisit at a later date with any of the independents mentioned if it remained an issue.
    That was one of my thoughts too but the service cost from Rolex has me swaying in their direction.
    If it was a Rolex I wouldn’t change the hands.
    The total cost for them to complete all the work means I could still source a set of hands afterwards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    £200 for a service sounds cheap!
    Absolutely.
    Not sure I’d do it for that.

There is only one guy I'd ask to service an ETA based watch on here. Good guy and will do exactly as you ask.

Grand Master
    Servicing the ETA movement is straightforward enough, but I avoid working on this type of watch. What happens if the lume in the hands is so brittle that it drops out when the hands are being removed? Despite taking great care there's always a risk of this happening. Lume can drop off the dial too. Owners of these watches are so precious about the ‘originality’ , I don’t want the grief and hassle, so when asked to work on this type of watch (vintage Speedmasters in particular) I always decline.

Rolex and Omega replace handsets for a reason! However, if the hands can be removed without damage and the lume can be stabilised it makes sense to do so if the owner prefers to keep the originals, but that option isn’t made available.

- - - Updated - - -

Servicing the ETA movement is straightforward enough, but I avoid working on this type of watch. What happens if the lume in the hands is so brittle that it drops out when the hands are being removed? Despite taking great care there's always a risk of this happening. Lume can drop off the dial too. Owners of these watches are so precious about the ‘originality’ , I don’t want the grief and hassle, so when asked to work on this type of watch (vintage Speedmasters in particular) I always decline.

Rolex and Omega replace handsets for a reason! However, if the hands can be removed without damage and the lume can be stabilised it makes sense to do so if the owner prefers to keep the originals, but that option isn’t made available.

I was always given to understand (by Rocco, Rolex accredited) that the standard RSC and approved independent service required the replacement of crown and tube, as well as a movement service, in order to maintain the specification of the watch. These are not readily available parts (and the removed ones had to be sent back to the Rolex mothership), and all add up on the cost of a service

Master
    I take it you mean £600 all in for a bracelet ? This is probably about right now. I paid £550 about 3 years ago from my local AD.

My two’penneth on the other stuff, get an Indy to service and don’t refinish.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    I take it you mean £600 all in for a bracelet ? This is probably about right now. I paid £550 about 3 years ago from my local AD.

My two’penneth on the other stuff, get an Indy to service and don’t refinish.

Yes, the bracelet is £600.
    Complete service and bracelet is just under £900 from Rolex.

The independent cost will be £1500.
    I can go with Rolex and potentially source a set of hands afterwards for not much more than the independent cost.
    That’s what I think I’ll do if it really bothers me.

Master
    The independent cost will be £1500.
    Would be worth getting some more Indy quotes if you haven't already as the service element seems steep.

Sorry, but £1500 is a complete joke, even allowing for the bracelet.
    Can I just ask whether you are considering a solid-link bracelet?
    If you are, I personally wouldn't get one, as this would have been originally sold with a folded-link bracelet.
    Even if it is Rolex (and I am sure 79090s were sold with Tudor-signed clasps, not Rolex), a solid bracelet on this is no more appropriate than a well-made independent folded one.
    Just a thought, but of course, as I said before, your watch and choice

Master
    The bracelet will be the newest equivalent and will be a solid link 78500.
    I’d rather wear it on this bracelet as the old rattly folded link bracelets are not the best.
    The watch is currently on a Jubilee bracelet which isn’t correct but interestingly the clasp code is also from 1994.
    I wonder if the original owner had it swapped when new.
    The hands have been changed at a previous service and don’t currently match which is why I’m leaning towards Rolex completing the work.

Last edited by Loupe; 24th March 2023 at 11:54.

Master
    That might have been a sensible thing to do if I had thought they may refuse the service with the existing hands but they obviously now have the watch to give me an estimate.
    I’m not sure they would entertain servicing a watch missing its hand set tho!
    It would certainly allow them to justify selling you a new set of hands.

Craftsman
    Have you not thought about selling it and buying a black bay ? It sounds like you want a daily and not a safe queen. Just a thought.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Have you not thought about selling it and buying a black bay ? It sounds like you want a daily and not a safe queen. Just a thought.
    Decision made.
    That may be an option if I don’t like it when it comes back from Rolex. 😅

Master
    My Tudor arrived today from Rolex.
    The case was refinished and a new bracelet was fitted and the hands were also replaced.
    The original hands were previously replaced and didn’t match the hour plots so I wasn’t too fussed with Rolex insisting on replacing them.
    I declined their offer to replace the mid case.
    I’m happy with how it looks and glad I went ahead with the case refinishing to match the new bracelet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    That didn’t take too long. How much did they charge in total? What cost would the case have been?

Master
    The service and bracelet was £895 and the mid case would have been £580.
    It’s the same case as a 1680, I wonder what that would have cost to replace.

Master
    That seems very good value for the service and bracelet combined. Yes I bet a case for a 1680 would be more .

Master
    That looks super good after service and the price is, well, I guess reasonable.

I dropped off my 74000N Tudor for service today. I've had it for nearly 10 years and recently the winding has become harder (stickier). It's got the basic ETA so should not be too expensive, and the case and bracelet require no work.

Master
    That looks in fantastic condition.
    What is the logo on the dial?

Master
    That looks in fantastic condition.
    What is the logo on the dial?
    Thanks, it was serviced when I bought it and the case is in very good shape. Bracelet is actually new, I bought it from Tudor through an AD. The logo is Philippines Airlines, they gave these to pilots and key personnel in the 80's and 90's. I really like to logo, it somehow makes the watch much more interesting.

Craftsman
    I think they did a great job, it looks lovely.

Master
    The service and bracelet was £895 and the mid case would have been £580.
    It’s the same case as a 1680, I wonder what that would have cost to replace.
    Don't suppose you got the old hands back did you ?

They've put the 'Bexley Bevel' on the case which I quite like to be fair, like they used to make them back in the day. That price equates to about £300 for the service and case refinish which isn't bad at all, I'm guessing the bracelet is near £600 from an AD these days.

All looks good value in the end, and I am glad you're pleased. Can we ask what clasp they gave you with the bracelet? Rolex branded, or Tudor?

There’s always the argument about leave original or polish and as others have said, your watch so your choice. I agree with Paul W though, bringing your watch back up to that condition is fantastic work. I think it looks incredible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Don't suppose you got the old hands back did you ?

They've put the 'Bexley Bevel' on the case which I quite like to be fair, like they used to make them back in the day. That price equates to about £300 for the service and case refinish which isn't bad at all, I'm guessing the bracelet is near £600 from an AD these days.
    Unfortunately not and they wouldn’t service it without changing. Hey ho.
    Yes that’s roughly what the bracelet cost, I was pleasantly surprised with the price for everything.
    Can’t beat a Bexley bevel!