closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gilt watch features.

Master
    Blog Entries

Gilt watch features.

For some reason I just can’t warm to them. It’s bugging me now on the BB58. Reason I flipped the last one.

Is it just me that thinks gilt doesn’t really work?

It depends on the watch, IMO but a modern watch with gilt details jars a bit, whereas it works on a vintage design. Oris 65 and marinemasters look good, black bay is a bit borderline to my taste but the SLA057 looks weird.

I can’t imagine a gilt SMP for example.

Journeyman
    As poster above, it depends on the watch for me too. Funny you mention Seiko, I have an SPB239, it's got gilt hands and few other nods.

Was in the shop, looking at that, the SPB147 (even more gilt) and the SPB143 (sans gilt) and took a while but ended up with the 239 and am still smitten a year later.

Agree also, the SLA057 just doesn't work for me either. Guess it's down to personal taste (as always!)

Craftsman
    I certainly wouldn’t want it on all my watches, but think it can look good in moderation. I like it on my Commander and am on the look out for an gilt Everest to keep it company.

I think it can look great on a vintage watch but on most modern watches it never looks right. (Looking at you BB58)
    There is gilt and printed to look like gilt.
    With a gilt dial and hands the brass discolours / dulls down over time. This improves the looks / makes it less garish. On dials that have gilt coloured printing this won’t happen. The print is either bright gold or a strange brown.
    The thickness of the etching / printing also comes in the play.
    For example a vintage 5512 has rather fine etching meaning the exposed brass is only visible in thin lines, combined with the discoloured brass it’s quite a subtle effect.
    On modern watches that have a gilt dial, the etching tends to a bit thicker as they want it to be known it’s a gilt dial, this combined with the shiny brass means the whole aesthetic is a bit clumsier.

I agree that the SLA057 is not much of a looker but the SLA025 - oooo now that how to do a gilt dial.
    Just my 2p
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st March 2023 at 07:47.

A lot of people don’t like 2-tone steel and gold, to me it’s a micro 2-tone situation on the BB58 and I like it - in comparison the blue dialled version looks flat and uninteresting imho - which surprised me. I think it depends on the watch and your own taste.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    A lot of people don’t like 2-tone steel and gold, to me it’s a micro 2-tone situation on the BB58 and I like it - in comparison the blue dialled version looks flat and uninteresting imho - which surprised me. I think it depends on the watch and your own taste.
    Agreed there is no wrong or right. What the wearer likes is the only thing that matters
    I think a glit dial B58 with stainless hands, lume pip surrounds (or even printed dial lume preferably) and bezel insert markings could be a winner for me.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st March 2023 at 12:59.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    You might have a point, I would love a black 58 with silver vice gold bits. When done though it may look at bit flat and boring.

Master
    The gilt Everest looks gorgeous, and so does the gilt San Martin SN021. I love the look myself.

I have a PRS-54 Trans-global with the ice blue dial and the gold hands and indices. I think it looks great, but perhaps as another poster said it just looks better on vintage designs. Likely why it also works well with the PRS-25 gilt.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

I agree that the SLA057 is not much of a looker but the SLA025 - oooo now that how to do a gilt dial.
    Just my 2p
    Yup. The SLA025 is a bloody brilliant looking watch. For me, probably the ultimate Seiko.

Then again, I slightly prefer the SLA039. All irrelevant as both are just too big for wearing (for me), I would love to see either in my watch box though.

I'm partial to a bit of gilt in my modest collection in the right measure...

Helberg CH6

Kemmner 007

Raven Vintage 40

Seiko SBDX012 MM300

GS SBGX069

Personally, I absolutely love it on the BB 58, and the earlier BB 41mm ETA divers.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I like gilt for that vintage vibe. I think the gilt hands work well with the brown/copper dial of the Seiko and while the Baltic doesn't have any gilt is appears to a quick glance.

I find gilt very off-putting. For some reason, in my mind, it's not just another kind of trim but fake gold. If you like yellow gold (which I don't), go for it. Brass, all right. But gilt, no.

Master
    No strong view one way or the other. I'm not a fan of it on the BB58, I find it makes it look little twee, and prefer the crisper look of the blue. On the other hand, on the Seiko SBDX012 MM300 above and the SPB315, I like it.

I love the Black Bay's gilt dial.

A