closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: One for the horologists

Master
    Blog Entries

One for the horologists

I dug out my 1970's NOS Certina Certiday from the back of my safe recently.

I wound it up & have worn it for several days. It seems to lose about 10-15 minutes quite quickly but then seems to settle in & stay at that.

I've got it on the Timegrapher now & it's saying -2s/d, amp 230, B.E. 0.1ms.

Any idea of the cause from our in house professional watchmakers? Or anybody else who can chip in?

I expect I'll take it in to my local watchmaker soon but it'd be good to have some input.

Thanks.

I'm afraid I can't help with your question, but it does look very nice indeed!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I'm afraid I can't help with your question, but it does look very nice indeed!
    Thanks maggy

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ok, so the hands have barely moved from my initial post & it’s now lost 2.5 hours. Yet the timegrapher says the movement is running at +2s/day. I’m sure that there’s a good explanation for this……..

Loose hands on the pinion? Do they move normally when you adjust them? Beautiful watch by the way.
    Cheers..
    Jase

As Jason has said or it could be a loose canon pinion . When you set the time is there any slight resistance, or just very easy to set/ spin the hands
    This is hard to explain in words but you should be able to feel a nice solid resistance fom the crown.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    As Jason has said or it could be a loose canon pinion . When you set the time is there any slight resistance, or just very easy to set/ spin the hands
    This is hard to explain in words but you should be able to feel a nice solid resistance fom the crown.
    There's hardly any resistance when I move the hands. The hour hand is always bang on the hour marker when the minute hand is at 12. It sets the time easily enough but definitely very light on the resistance when turning the crown.

Master
    Blog Entries
    ....update....the hour & minute hands are hardly moving at all now. The second hand runs as normal.

My money's on a loose canon pinion. It probably needs a service too if the amps are 230° at full wind or 0 hour.

Great looking watch, very much of its time and well worth spending a bit of money on to sort out, well imho anyway.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    My money's on a loose canon pinion. It probably needs a service too if the amps are 230° at full wind or 0 hour.

Great looking watch, very much of its time and well worth spending a bit of money on to sort out, well imho anyway.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Yes, it'll be in the capable hands of my local horologist some time soon. Interesting to hear everybody's views. I might say to my watchmaker that I believe it may have a loose cannon pinion...it might make me look as though I know what I'm talking about. I'll blame you lot if that's wrong ;-)

You just know we'll be wrong now

Master
    Lovely watch that, like a cross between a Rado Manhattan and the Omega Geneve (the dartboard one).

Very cool!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Lovely watch that, like a cross between a Rado Manhattan and the Omega Geneve (the dartboard one).

Very cool!
    '70's cool!

Master
    Uber cool mate!

Grand Master
    Golden rule when acquiring a NOS watch: always get it properly serviced before it gives problems. Usually a NOS will have a fault , that’s why it never got sold initially.

From the description if the problem it looks like the cannon pinion is loose, but that’s a problem associated with wear and tear over a number of years so it’s v. unusual to occur in a NOS watch. I’d be v, interested to see this movement, if it's genuinely NOS I think I could tell, I could also tell if it’s a worn movement that’s been swapped.

The watch his a nice one and the condition of the case is excellent, it should be straightforward to sort the movement out, a loose cannon pinion is a straightforward fix.

- - - Updated - - -

Golden rule when acquiring a NOS watch: always get it properly serviced before it gives problems. Usually a NOS will have a fault , that’s why it never got sold initially.

From the description if the problem it looks like the cannon pinion is loose, but that’s a problem associated with wear and tear over a number of years so it’s v. unusual to occur in a NOS watch. I’d be v, interested to see this movement, if it's genuinely NOS I think I could tell, I could also tell if it’s a worn movement that’s been swapped.

The watch his a nice one and the condition of the case is excellent, it should be straightforward to sort the movement out, a loose cannon pinion is a straightforward fix.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Paul, I’ll get a photo of the movement in due course & would be interested in your opinion.

Master
    Very funky design!

Hope you get it sorted and then you can wear it with confidence.

I've bought a number of NOS watches in the past and my experience reconciles with that although sometimes only cosmetic faults.

Great looking watch and well worth getting sorted.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    What a great, unusual watch!

Master
    Blog Entries
    - - - Updated - - -

There you go Paul. It looks pretty NOS to my uneducated eye. btw, it WAS a loose cannon pinion so thanks guys.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I picked this up from Horological Underground on Wednesday. Runs a treat now.

Full movement service by German, & he tightened the loose cannon pinion.

Amplitude up to 310-330 now.

Image below is taken pre-service.

Great looking piece

Blog Entries
    Excellent result! More pictures of the watch please of this 70s throwback!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Excellent result! More pictures of the watch please of this 70s throwback!
    Here you go then!

Last edited by trident-7; 17th June 2023 at 19:26.

Apprentice
    Nice watch.