closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please show your vintage solid gold timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    A few of mine that came and went over the past 20+ years...(many posted elsewhere on the forum):

...and its motor:

...and its motor:

...and

Maybe more some other time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    A 3919 from 1991

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    not in the league of some posted but here are my goldies

and this one has moved on but i still think it's a really classy everyday gold watch
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    1803 from 1974

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    18K Geomatic, rarely sees the wrist, but on special occasions.
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post

Cannot find the dealer receipt and have forgotten if it's 12ct or 14ct ... aware it's not 9ct. No visible hall mark on exterior inc. lugs. Any advice on how to open the case , safely, would be appreciated - so can access interior hall mark(s). Cannot see any obvious / visible case separation join when examined carefully with a loupe

BW, dunk
    Some lovely watches.

I remember my Dad wearing a Hamilton piece for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    Late 60s Rolex Date in 14k

I found the "all gold" look a bit much so I've put it on a strap and sourced a buckle from my AD.

If I had my time again, I would prefer it without the date, but still very happy with it.
    IMO, looks better on the strap :-)

Vintage 1950's VC sold to a forum member:

Vacheron ✠ Constantin 18 carat gold 17 jewel movement dress watch c. early 1950s. Manual wind Caliber P453/3C adjusted to temperature; shock resistant suspension monometallic balance, overcoiled spring - swan neck micrometer regulator. Movement SN 485114. Case number 316463. Main plate and bridges finished with hand-applied perlage, anglage edge bevels, and Geneva stripes decorations. Snap-on caseback. Beautifully patinated original dial with applied faceted indexes and Roman XII numeral; gold hands; subsidiary seconds.

Full Service May 2020 by Webwatchmaker Brendan Hoey; replacement acrylic crystal fitted.

Dimensions: Case diameter 34mm, 35.6mm with crown; lug tip to lug tip 41mm, 22.6mm across lugs, 19mm between lugs; case depth /thickness 9.2mm. Hirsch 20mm strap resized to 19mm and fitted with aftermarket plated finish semi-Maltese Cross buckle. Strap will fit 7” wrist comfortably and up to 7.5”. Wrist shot photos show VC watch fitted to my 8” wrist.

Sold TZ UK SC 2021 for just £2150 .

18 carat gold case

Original 18 carat gold winding crown

Next two photos taken before B.H.'s service:

The following Webwatchmaker Brendan Hoey's service photos are used with BH’s permission :

The beautiful perlage (covered by the dial, so not normally visible) and the bridges' Geneva stripes and anglage edge bevelling were hand applied by V&C craftsmen

VC still decorate their current models to this standard ... but they're not just decorations ... the finishing ensures parts fit together perfectly ... promoting accuracy and longevity.

This standard of manufacture and finish by one of the 'Holy Trinity' of Swiss watchmakers, cannot be matched by the 'mass production' Swiss watchmakers.

BW, dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 7th April 2023 at 02:18.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Another Vacheron ✠ Constantin sold to a forum member in 2021: Ultra-thin 18 carat gold dress watch Ref. No. 6405 c.1960s, Case No. 396378; Geneva seal movement; manual wind Caliber K1001 SN 668957; 5 bridges Geneva fausses-côtes decoration. Straight line lever escapement; self compensating flat balance spring Monometallic balance adjusted to heat cold isochronism & 5 positions. Straight case lugs. Snap-on Caseback. Dial applied baton indexes; subsidiary seconds; gold hands. Reeded edge bezel. Original VC Maltese Cross winding crown.

Serviced April 2020 by Webwatchmaker Brendan Hoey; new cemented Swiss glass bevel edged crystal.
    Dimensions: 39.3mm lug to lug, 32mm diameter 34.2mm with crown, 21.9mm across lugs,18mm between lugs; depth/height 7.5mm tapering to 3.2mm bezel edge.
    Wrist shot shows watch on my 8” wrist … very comfortable to wear … ZRC crocodile extra long strap

V✠C Caliber K1001 originated as a JLC raw ebauche supplied exclusively to V&C and Audemars Piguet: https://www.watchprosite.com/vachero...8651.10631981/

AND –

Quoted from https://www.beyondthedial.com/post/c...s-undervalued/

"Rather than send out the same dress watch model to all of its retailers (like Patek and most other brands did by the mid 20th century), Vacheron Constantin continued to provide its retailers with watches that – at least on the surface – seemed like the one-offs the brand was known for. To accomplish this, Vacheron kept the movements the same, but varied the cases and dials endlessly for each reference.

It’s generally believed that Vacheron would make around 20 of each dress watch variant and send them out to retailers that were geographically spread out in order to give the effect of unique pieces in each region. From a branding perspective, not only did limiting variants maintain Vacheron’s centuries-old status as a maker of unique pieces, this strategy also upheld the halo around Vacheron’s business making custom one-offs for elite customers, which the house continues to this day."

Comfortable on 8” wrist

Movement prior to service ...

WebWatchmaker Brendan Hoey's service photos ... posted with his permission:

… dismantled prior to cleaning …

… and after reassembly

Tactile Swiss glass bevel edged crystal

Slim case Original V✠C crown Reeded edge bezel

Case back shows V✠C model ref 6405 and SN 396378

‘Snap-on’ case back ... the case exterior was not refinished or polished when watch was serviced ... watch has led a sheltered life.

Please note: ... dial 'shadows' are due to camera reflections

Relatively medium diameter but the reeded bezel and elegant lugs convey a larger presence – to suit a large wrist

The lug design prevents case back surface contact.

Classic 1960's VC design

BW, dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 21st April 2023 at 20:05.

Still have it though the only photos I have aren't quite as good. Worn mostly with a suit for occasions. Lovely piece

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    A Rolex not so often seen on here, but one of my favourite watches. Manual wind, so slim it almost disappears on my wrist.

Craftsman
    My humble 1964 35mm Trebex
    Last edited by silver centurian; 21st April 2023 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post

Still have it though the only photos I have aren't quite as good. Worn mostly with a suit for occasions. Lovely piece

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quoted from https://www.beyondthedial.com/post/c...s-undervalued/

"Rather than send out the same dress watch model to all of its retailers (like Patek and most other brands did by the mid 20th century), Vacheron Constantin continued to provide its retailers with watches that – at least on the surface – seemed like the one-offs the brand was known for. To accomplish this, Vacheron kept the movements the same, but varied the cases and dials endlessly for each reference.

It’s generally believed that Vacheron would make around 20 of each dress watch variant and send them out to retailers that were geographically spread out in order to give the effect of unique pieces in each region. From a branding perspective, not only did limiting variants maintain Vacheron’s centuries-old status as a maker of unique pieces, this strategy also upheld the halo around Vacheron’s business making custom one-offs for elite customers, which the house continues to this day."

You have a very scarce VC dress watch. And, the replacement bevel edged Swiss glass crystal is 'cemented' into the case / bezel.
    Last edited by sundial; 22nd April 2023 at 00:37.

This is a ladies Elgin made in the Elgin, Illinois manufacturing plant (the world's largest) in the year 1928. The decorated case is solid 14k white gold, and the 15 jewel Geneva-striped Elgin movement was made at the same plant. I've reserved it for my only daughter. Oh, and it keeps excellent time!

After much searching and deliberating over my choices.
    I purchased this beautiful IWC from the 1950’s.
    It’s 36mm in diameter, so perfect size for me.

My thanks go to Walkerwek1958 (Paul) for his patience and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk