closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Milan - San Remo

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Milan - San Remo

'La Primavera' today. No spoilers about the winner but the final 5-7 kms are unreal, speed-wise! They turn out the power, the Watts of a steam locomotive!
    Last edited by thieuster; 18th March 2023 at 16:45.

I could only listen but it seems Poulidor’s grandson did rather well.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    The calibre of riders he went away from made it very special.

Blog Entries
    A few hours later, so no need to hide the winner: MvdP did a fantastic job. Comparable with the Amstel Gold Race a few years back. I jumped away, uphill on the Poggio and when he started descending, his advantage grew and grew. I couldn't help thinking back: that Tom Pidcock video of him going downhill. "Pidcock would have kept up with him!"

Still, 61 yrs after his grandfather won, 38 yrs ago since the last Dutchie won. Fantastic achievement. And the Big Classics are around the corner!

MdvP starts in the E3, The Tour de Flandres (he won 2x), Paris - Roubaix and then in June in Switzerland. No Ghent-Wevelgem ('Flanders Fields') and the 'Amstel'.

Personally, I think Paris - Roubaix is the most impressive of this list. And that's one he hasn't won until now (3rd, 9th).

Two historical facts: Ghent - Wevelgem (Flanders Fields). A few years back (I think around 2018) the people behind the route of Ghent Wevelgem decided that they had to alter the route of the Classic: from now one as close as possible near WWI Cemeteries to commemorate the people who died in those fields during that War. I watch the Belgium broadcast of that race and the comments are not only about cycling but also about the historical background of the landscape, the scenery and the cemetaries and monuments. Very impressive and a well-chosen change of the Route.

Paris-Roubaix. The race doesn't actually start in Paris. It's in Compiègne, 80kms to the north. Simply because the real distance from Paris/St. Dénis was too far. Compiègne is the town where WWI was ended with the surrender of the German forces and it was also the (same!!!) spot where Hitler ordered the French to sign their surrender in 1940.

Paris-Roubaix is referred to a l'Enfer du Nord: The Northern Hell. As said, my favourite Classic.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Shame Pidcock wasn’t able to ride. Gives the others a chance I guess. ;-)