closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cartier - any love?

Master

Cartier - any love?

Looking at the Santos range which seem smart and reasonable value. Question is - are they very decent or is the brand more of a jack of all trades?

They’ve made a number of Santos models over the years that I’d more than happily own.
    It's just a matter of time...

I’ve been very close to buying the blue dial several times.

Master
    Lots of love here, I've got the Santos medium and I think it's amazing. FiL has the Ballon Bleu and that's very nice too

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I certainly like Cartier and unless things have changed recently, their after sales service is extremely highly regarded

Master
    I've had two. Would happily have another Pasha or a Roadster.

Master
    I had a roadster chrono which I loved, but sold as lost confidence in the QR system on the bracelet/straps. I still have my tank francaise chronoflex, little worn as it is very dressy and I never go out

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

People dismiss them as a brand, but cartier have amazing, attention to detail and over the years have made iconic and long lasting designs. Perfume, eyewear, leather good and jewellery are all top notch. There is a reason lvmh are so desperate to get their hands on it! Their signature looks like roman numerals etc make the products easily recognisable.

Very divisive.

They don't appeal to me at all, but they're certainly distinctive.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Have just bought my wife a miss pasha for her bday. Really striking watch with salmon pink dial. I think their ladies watches are very elegant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I would consider buying Cartier watches. Santos and Tank models iconic.

Just need to try on models I like, as can never be sure with rectangle/square cases and how they look on the wrist. Prefer smaller cases with this shape, but for example, with the Tank they don't have a seconds hand, which is a deal breaker for me.

Roadster, although discontinued, is also a desire I have never fulfilled.

Not sure on the Roman numerals. I do have watches with Roman Numerals, but they were bought for pocket money, and I don't wear them very often.

My wife has a J12 Moonphase - it's a lovely watch.

Quite feminine and flashy. I like the tank but the Santos appeal escapes me.

Craftsman
    The Santos has been on my list for the last 5 years or so. It’s an iconic watch and the modern iteration has a tremendous case and bracelet (especially the latest bracelet system). a couple of things consistently hold me back from pulling the trigger:

I find the dial and handset on the Santos a bit uninspiring. The blue is certainly much more interesting but isn’t my cup of tea.

I find the medium size too small and the large size too big.

As a brand I really like Cartier and I have a rose gold Tank in honour of my late grandfather who wore his all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I had a two-tone Ballon Bleu for quite a while - lovely watch, very well made. In all honesty, I should have had the plain steel version - I might have kept it.

Master
    I've always thought that Cartier is unfairly dismissed as a jewellery brand when they clearly have a very strong pedigree and history in watchmaking. I owned a SS Tank Francaise years ago and it was a lovely watch but I never got on with the bracelet - was always a little too tight or too loose, without/with the half link. Shame, because it's an elegant design. I don't have any interest in bi-metal - a bit too 1980s for me - but the most recent Santos model does look smart and there is one version with black dial and bezel that I think is an interesting take on the design:
    https://www.cartier.com/en-gb/santos...tos-de-Cartier

Expect to take a haircut if you ever want to resell one, tho!

SGR

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    My wife has a J12 Moonphase - it's a lovely watch.
    Isn't that a Chanel?

My missus has a 34mm steel and gold Santos auto which she loves.

Craftsman
    Just got my wife a Santos 100 XL
    She loves it, I have to say that it’s a very classy looking watch!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Looking at the Santos range which seem smart and reasonable value. Question is - are they very decent or is the brand more of a jack of all trades?
    The Santos is an extremely well made watch, the fit and finish are up there on it’s price bracket.
    Also, you can change it for the leather/deployant clasp combo that comes with it

Everything else is a matter of taste and appeal.
    Absolutely love mine

Here it is a review of some guy that apparently loves his

https://youtu.be/xHrrOUUfviw

With the absolute latest models you're getting near-as-dammit AP quality for Rolex money. Iconic designs too. Cartier is probably a more prestigious brand globally than AP as well, if that's your thing. IMHO they are underpriced even at £7k. Fab watches but don't base your impression on any Cartier older than 3 years - the latest versions are night and day ahead of previous models.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    With the absolute latest models you're getting near-as-dammit AP quality for Rolex money. Iconic designs too. Cartier is probably a more prestigious brand globally than AP as well

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    They're very good with a long watchmaking history. Dont under-estimate just because they make jewellery as well.
    Ive had the blue Santos which didnt stay long as the reflections from the curved crystal on the dial were too much, and the bezel was a candidate for fairly instant scuffs and swirls.
    There's no knocking the quality, but they're not comparable to anything in the trinity.

The Tank and Ronde de Cartier are both fantastic watches. I'm keen for a Ronde myself!

Always admired the Brand and the historical horological history. Visited Santos Dumont house in Petropolis and wnated to buy a Santos for my wife (she is from Rio), but she preferred JLC Reverso, so I obliged....;-)
    On my side I could never live with the Roman numerals. I once had a Zenith full calendar with Roman numerals.....just not for me....but I see the attraction. I do not agree that hey are in the same league than AP though as a member said here earlier...

Master
    I had the blue Santos for a short time. It was an absolute thing of beauty, and well worth the £5k or so I paid for it. Impeccable fit and finish, and an excellent quick change strap system (which IWC used on the Aquatimer I recently purchased) Unfortunately for me, it was a little to outside my comfort zone, having been mostly into dive watches since I started collecting. I would love to have been able to keep it to wear on occasion, but with only a small number of watches, and limited funds, it went in trade against a GO Sea Q Panorama Date. The good thing about it was being an in demand watch, I almost recouped my money on it, which for me was akin to a win!! If cash ever becomes less of a problem for me (we can all dream!) I'll definitely have another.

I’ve always hankered after a 100XL but never got round to actually purchasing one.

Journeyman

Just picked this up for my wife’s birthday. Not seen May of these of before. Great size and dial colour

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    They're very good with a long watchmaking history. Dont under-estimate just because they make jewellery as well.
    Ive had the blue Santos which didnt stay long as the reflections from the curved crystal on the dial were too much, and the bezel was a candidate for fairly instant scuffs and swirls.
    There's no knocking the quality, but they're not comparable to anything in the trinity.
    OK I'll rephrase when comparing to AP I meant vs the Royal Oak, not vs the high end AP stuff.

I think the current Santos is underpriced. Fab watches.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    OK I'll rephrase when comparing to AP I meant vs the Royal Oak, not vs the high end AP stuff.
    Not even close.

I’m a fan. The Santos has arrived recently

Tank has been worn a lot over the last year

It helps that I’m drawn to squarer cases.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Not even close.
    We'll agree to disagree - I've owned both. And I've owned a 5167 Aquanaut and the Santos is actually a better watch than that by some distance.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    We'll agree to disagree - I've owned both. And I've owned a 5167 Aquanaut and the Santos is actually a better watch than that by some distance.
    So have I. And following the Aquanaut comparison I'm upgrading you from crack to meth.

Master
    Despite initially not liking the santos I’ve warmed to it quite a lot after properly trying one on earlier in the week at the Cartier boutique, so much so i bought a lightly used pre-owned one which arrived today…love being able to change the strap/bracelet so easily. So far enjoying it very much!

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Despite initially not liking the santos I’ve warmed to it quite a lot after properly trying one on earlier in the week at the Cartier boutique, so much so i bought a lightly used pre-owned one which arrived today…love being able to change the strap/bracelet so easily. So far enjoying it very much!

Looks good. Came close to getting that version myself. I’ve seen a couple of pictures of that model on leather too that look great if you don’t mind straps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post

ive had the blue, but i think i might try one of those, best version imo

Master
    The black tones it down, makes it less dressy which I like. Prices up again 5-7% in April so don’t hang about!