closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best place to buy a JDM G-Shock?

Best place to buy a JDM G-Shock?

Any recommendations for online retailers for these? Specifically the GW-5000U.

Thank you.

I bought mine from Seiya last year and was absolutely amazed when it arrived in about 36 hours from placing my order - packaged fantastically well with a polishing cloth and the JDM packaging etc. worked out as about £240 all in. However, since buying mine I have noticed that the 5000U is often available on Amazon UK for about £225- £250 delivered, although I’ve just looked and at the moment it’s more like £260 and 10 day delivery wait. I think the UK is the only place in Europe these aren’t sold by Casio.
    Last edited by RobDad; 17th March 2023 at 21:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post

Thank you.
    Lots of local options. I'm not sure that it's still a JDM model.

Master
    Cheapest here I think. Out of stock at moment but they’ll get more in.

https://www.relojesdemoda.com/en/g-s...r-gw-5000u-1er

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I bought mine from Seiya last year and was absolutely amazed when it arrived in about 36 hours from placing my order - packaged fantastically well with a polishing cloth and the JDM packaging etc. worked out as about £240 all in. However, since buying mine I have noticed that the 5000U is often available on Amazon UK for about £225- £250 delivered, although I’ve just looked and at the moment it’s more like £260 and 10 day delivery wait. I think the UK is the only place in Europe these aren’t sold by Casio.
    Thank you. Yeah, seems to be mostly from EU dealers so need take VAT into account.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Lots of local options. I'm not sure that it's still a JDM model.
    Can’t see to find any local options myself.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Cheapest here I think. Out of stock at moment but they’ll get more in.

https://www.relojesdemoda.com/en/g-s...r-gw-5000u-1er
    Thank you. Even with the VAT added, that is still probably the cheapest.

Thank you. Yeah, seems to be mostly from EU dealers so need take VAT into account.

Can’t see to find any local options myself.
    Sorry - I meant within the EU (as opposed to Japan). That said, Amazon and ebay (UK) often seem to have them available.

I have used ippojapan a few times and have found them pretty good. Comms are sometimes not the best but the prices are usually the cheapest and the watch always gets to me in a couple of weeks at the most.

Master
    I second Seiya. Service levels are impeccable and you’re receiving authorised product from the Japanese market. You’ll pay a little more but I like the feeling of authenticity buying from Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Personally I’d buy the cheapest, they’re all the same regardless of where they come from. Agreed Seiya has great service but he’s recently put his prices up too and he ships DHL now so you’ll also get stung with import fees. I’ve bought from Seiya and Relojesdemoda. The latter also provides great service, mine arrived in less than 24 hours. I’d definitely use Relojesdemoda again.

Master
    Personally I’d buy the cheapest, they’re all the same regardless of where they come from. Agreed Seiya has great service but he’s recently put his prices up too and he ships DHL now so you’ll also get stung with import fees. I’ve bought from Seiya and Relojesdemoda. The latter also provides great service, mine arrived in less than 24 hours. I’d definitely use Relojesdemoda again.
    Aren’t Relojesdemoda despatching from Spain? If that’s the case wouldn’t import fees be payable now too for goods over €150 surely?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Aren’t Relojesdemoda despatching from Spain? If that’s the case wouldn’t import fees be payable now too for goods over €150 surely?

Yes you’ll get the import fees from Spain, I’m just saying it’s cheaper for the same watch.

About £235 from Seiya or £173 from Relojesdemoda. Both with fees but take into consideration that the more expensive Seiya one will also have higher import fees too.

Yes you’ll get the import fees from Spain, I’m just saying it’s cheaper for the same watch.

About £235 from Seiya or £173 from Relojesdemoda. Both with fees but take into consideration that the more expensive Seiya one will also have higher import fees too.
    That £173 appears to include VAT so surely that should be taken off?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That £173 appears to include VAT so surely that should be taken off?
    No the price has been reduced by 20%

No the price has been reduced by 20%
    Ah yes, missed that.

Edit: - Rather confusing TBH. Page sometimes says excl. taxes, sometimes doesn't. VAT taken off won't be exactly 20% either...
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 18th March 2023 at 17:33.

Craftsman
    Been trying to get this model for almost year but wasn’t prepared to pay the £250 mark which this model seams to be going for when you factor in import duties.

I placed an order with Amazon about a month ago for £211 even though it was out of stock.

I plan to just sit It out and wait for Amazon to source it. I’m in no real hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Seems incredible that Casio don't want to market this watch here. You'd think that all the watches with the new 3495 module would sell like hot cakes in the UK, due to finally having the date available in our preferred DD/MM format. Perhaps Casio have a load of old inventory to get rid of first ?
    Last edited by 459GMB; 19th March 2023 at 15:29.

They sell it all over Europe, and I’ve seen threads in watchuseek suggesting it’s available in the US now too. Does seem a weird oversight. Mine has a CE logo on the back suggesting it was always destined for Europe. I watched an episode of ‘the watch idiot’ on you tube the other day and his appeared to have a different logo etched into the caseback.

Apprentice
    They sell it all over Europe, and I’ve seen threads in watchuseek suggesting it’s available in the US now too. Does seem a weird oversight. Mine has a CE logo on the back suggesting it was always destined for Europe. I watched an episode of ‘the watch idiot’ on you tube the other day and his appeared to have a different logo etched into the caseback.
    Mine has the CE logo also, bought it directly from the Casio online store here in Portugal

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Thank you.
    Other than the usual suspects, Sakurawatches, Seiya and so on, you could also look at ordering through a proxy service like Buyee or FromJapan. I've ordered some JDM G-Shocks that way and it's been pretty easy.

Craftsman
    Slight tangent, but does anyone know if the 5610 combi bracelet fits the GW-5000U ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Other than the usual suspects, Sakurawatches, Seiya and so on, you could also look at ordering through a proxy service like Buyee or FromJapan. I've ordered some JDM G-Shocks that way and it's been pretty easy.
    I bought my 5000U from watch.co.uk, which is actually a Netherlands based bricks and mortar store. It was sent via DHL and arrived quickly and well-packaged.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Slight tangent, but does anyone know if the 5610 combi bracelet fits the GW-5000U ?
    I think it can be forced to fit, but they’re not really designed for the screwback case which pushes the end links up in the middle. I’d fit one to mine otherwise - it’s on the second to last hole in the strap which means the tail often pops out of the keeper. I see plenty of posts with the combi bracelet fitted to screwbacks, but the bars look to be under so much strain when you see a pic of where they fit against the caseback I wouldn’t do it. I stand to be corrected as I’d very much like to fit one!!
    Last edited by RobDad; 19th March 2023 at 22:25.

I think it can be forced to fit, but they’re not really designed for the screwback case which pushes the end links up in the middle. I’d fit one to mine otherwise - it’s on the second to last hole in the strap which means the tail often pops out of the keeper. I see plenty of posts with the combi bracelet fitted to screwbacks, but the bars look to be under so much strain when you see a pic of where they fit against the caseback I wouldn’t do it. I stand to be corrected as I’d very much like to fit one!!

Oh dear.

I just bought a combi bracelet thinking it would fit my 5000U, oh bugger. :(

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Oh dear.

If you google it there do appear to be a few people that have successfully fitted one ... videos on YouTube etc etc

Craftsman
    The GW-5000U is now back in stock at Relojesdemoda, so I just ordered one. I'll update the thread with how long it takes to arrive, and what additional fees I get stung with. Shipping will be via DHL Express apparently.

Paid 197,69 € for the watch and 21,90 € for the shipping to UK so far ... total €219.59. Shows as £192.62 on my credit card transactions.

When you pay, you get the option to pay either in Euros or GBP. I opted for Euros, which has saved me about £7 on the GBP price displayed on the website payment system. I used a credit card that doesn't have any overseas transaction charges.
    Last edited by 459GMB; 21st March 2023 at 13:09.

^^^ Yes, always pay in local currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    ^^^ Yes, always pay in local currency.
    Agreed, also if you can avoid using PayPal for foreign transactions, do so. I've gotten hit with a nasty 4.5% currency conversion fee, which is a decent amount on higher-value items.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

If you google it there do appear to be a few people that have successfully fitted one ... videos on YouTube etc etc
    I managed to fit a combi on my original GW-5000 when I had one a while back...wasn't as problematic as I thought and the bracelet fitted fine..I came across some useful vids and instructions that essentially instructed me to feed one end of the spring bar in and ease the endlink round....it was a lovely watch as a result....and foolishly sold !
    Last edited by Ellietwed; 22nd March 2023 at 09:37.

Craftsman
    The GW-5000U is now back in stock at Relojesdemoda, so I just ordered one. I'll update the thread with how long it takes to arrive, and what additional fees I get stung with. Shipping will be via DHL Express apparently.

Paid 197,69 € for the watch and 21,90 € for the shipping to UK so far ... total €219.59. Shows as £192.62 on my credit card transactions.

When you pay, you get the option to pay either in Euros or GBP. I opted for Euros, which has saved me about £7 on the GBP price displayed on the website payment system. I used a credit card that doesn't have any overseas transaction charges.
    DHL have rung and left a message this afternoon - it's going to be £50.06 of taxes, fees etc.

So the bottom line is coming in at £242.68, and the watch should be with me for this Thursday, so pretty quick delivery.

From what I can recall, on the odd occasion these have come up on Sales Corner or UK eBay they are in the £250 ball park anyway, so that's pretty much as good as it's going to get on these until such time as Casio start selling in the UK, or they are available on Amazon UK.

Craftsman
    Watch ordered at 12:00 yesterday. Watch on the wrist at 13:55 today ! How about that for a quick delivery from Spain LOL

Really nice G-Shock btw. A bit thicker than the standard 5610 due to a deeper case back, but not really noticeable on the wrist. The back light is a huge improvement with this new 3495 module.

Watch ordered at 12:00 yesterday. Watch on the wrist at 13:55 today ! How about that for a quick delivery from Spain LOL

Really nice G-Shock btw. A bit thicker than the standard 5610 due to a deeper case back, but not really noticeable on the wrist. The back light is a huge improvement with this new 3495 module.
    The one on the 3459/3461 is even better! More even, and has a fade-in/fade-out effect. Unfortunately that's only in the GMW-B5000 and the GW-B5600. It also adds Bluetooth, which can be useful but it depends on how you use the watch.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Oh dear.

It should be no problem at all. I've had the old style combi bracelet on my GW5000s, 6900s and 5600s.

They can be a little tricky to get on but have patience and they work. I find the trick is to push the spring bars into the lug holes manually, as they often won't spring in by themselves. This way you can be sure all four are seated fully.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    It should be no problem at all. I've had the old style combi bracelet on my GW5000s, 6900s and 5600s.

They can be a little tricky to get on but have patience and they work. I find the trick is to push the spring bars into the lug holes manually, as they often won't spring in by themselves. This way you can be sure all four are seated fully.

That’s great thank you :). One question though, my bracelet is the version 2 it’s the all plastic version, would it still work ok? Your bracelet looks like the version 1 with the metal centre links? That’s the one I wanted really, but couldn’t find.

That’s great thank you :). One question though, my bracelet is the version 2 it’s the all plastic version, would it still work ok? Your bracelet looks like the version 1 with the metal centre links? That’s the one I wanted really, but couldn’t find.
    I wondered that when reading your question. Sorry I only have the older style so I can't offer direct experience. However I don't believe there have been any changes to the lug width or case sizes on any of G-Shock squares, so in theory the new one should work too.

But theory and practice don't always coincide.
    David

I wondered that when reading your question. Sorry I only have the older style so I can't offer direct experience. However I don't believe there have been any changes to the lug width or case sizes on any of G-Shock squares, so in theory the new one should work too.

But theory and practice don't always coincide.

Thank you for the information :).

I found a resin bracelet with the metal centre links like yours today, hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

I always assumed the end link on the new and the old style composite bracelet were identical? - I must admit I’m tempted to try this myself as the strap is just too short on my wrist - not enough to stop the end of the strap repeatedly coming free of the keeper

It works, but you can see it's forced and under a bit of strain. On my old 5610 I had the combi on for years, it's a good fit and no problems. I bought a new one though too to go on my new 5000u and it fits, but you can see the screw down caseback sits prouder, the two 'lugs' for want of a better expression are pushed out at a very slight angle and the pins appear to be under a kind of constant tension as opposed to when the combi was fitted on my old 5610.

Of course, YMMV and all that. To my mind, I wasn't happy at the thought a spring bar may prematurely fail under the tension and I put the original strap back on. Same as Robdad the strap isn't quite a good fit for me, but hey ho.

Journeyman
    I used Relojesdemoda. Arrived very quickly and still a bargain with duties. The OEM bracelet is very supple.
    A further thought. Is there a specific, combi type bracelet that fits the 5000?

I hadn't grasped the tax /import costs. I queried the charges and their reply may be of use here. So I have pasted their reply below.
    Hope its appropriate.

Terry

Hi,*

Since the application of Brexit the tax is different.
    For orders that DO exceed 135 pounds, you DO NOT pay taxes on the web, but you DO pay customs duties.
    For orders that DO NOT exceed 135 pounds, you DO pay taxes on the website, but you DO NOT pay customs duties.
    This standard is not only on our website, it is for all of Europe.
    In your case, your order DOES exceed 135 pounds, so you did NOT pay any tax on our website.

Regards.

Perhaps someone handy with a dremel type tool could reshape the back of the end link to take into account the depth and curve of the screw down caseback? It’s pretty clear what the issue is if you compare the flat backplate of a 5610. The end links seem to be a very hard plastic from memory so it’s theoretically possible I guess?

Jambo - you had me checking my spring bars with a torch and magnifying glass. They're aligned straight and the endlinks feel very solid. I've no issues since I fitted them in May last year.

Yes the rubber strap is very nice but perhaps made with slimmer Japanese wrists in mind.
    David

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    I used Relojesdemoda. Arrived very quickly and still a bargain with duties. The OEM bracelet is very supple.
    A further thought. Is there a specific, combi type bracelet that fits the 5000?

I hadn't grasped the tax /import costs. I queried the charges and their reply may be of use here. So I have pasted their reply below.
    Hope its appropriate.

Terry

Hi,*

Since the application of Brexit the tax is different.
    For orders that DO exceed 135 pounds, you DO NOT pay taxes on the web, but you DO pay customs duties.
    For orders that DO NOT exceed 135 pounds, you DO pay taxes on the website, but you DO NOT pay customs duties.
    This standard is not only on our website, it is for all of Europe.
    In your case, your order DOES exceed 135 pounds, so you did NOT pay any tax on our website.

Regards.
    I was very impressed with the whole Relojesdemoda experience. Superb communication throughout.

And the GW-5000U watch, for anyone that is on the fence vs some of the cheaper squares, is well worth the small premium in my opinion. Aside from the obvious module improvement benefits, I really like the aesthetics and neutral colours of the text layout on the dial. The supplied strap is much better than the one you get on the cheaper squares as well, softer and more comfortable, and I would be fine to keep that on the watch on an ongoing basis, albeit I do have a hankering for trying the V2 combi bracelet so will probably get one of those sooner rather than later :-)

Perhaps someone handy with a dremel type tool could reshape the back of the end link to take into account the depth and curve of the screw down caseback? It’s pretty clear what the issue is if you compare the flat backplate of a 5610. The end links seem to be a very hard plastic from memory so it’s theoretically possible I guess?
    I did think about it, but history's taught me to just leave things like that well alone and either ask nicely or pay someone who actually knows what they're doing to do it. 😁

Jambo - you had me checking my spring bars with a torch and magnifying glass. They're aligned straight and the endlinks feel very solid. I've no issues since I fitted them in May last year.

Yes the rubber strap is very nice but perhaps made with slimmer Japanese wrists in mind.
    Sorry about that, I do apologise. Maybe I'm being a bit overly cautious/paranoid.

I might take another look at it myself, I'd like to get the combi bracelet on it.