closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you gone from affordable to luxury and back again?

Have you gone from affordable to luxury and back again?

Lots of deflection from the simple request ‘of shows us a pic of a watch you own’ - just saying!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    It's obvious that my MO is so bad in your opinion that you feel the need to question my very existence here and write in and say "Mick, you are quite clearly missing the whole point of watch appreciation, why, oh why do you dwell here?

What am I expected to think.
    Please, you tell me.

Master
    A Rolex is a better watch than say a Timex and a damn site more enjoyable to wear. Just a simple fact of life. If you think there's something wrong with that, then so be it but I'll stick with preferring the Rolex.
    Really??

At $179.00 US this just screams please wear me at least to me. I'm a sucker for color and design and this case shape is my favorite. Mick you're missing out on enjoying watches for pleasure.

I think I've gone full circle, like many on here.

I started with an SKX007 (which my mum bought me, still wear it)..

"Peaked" in value at a BLNR.

Settled now with oddities and micros with my favourite "big" brand probably Tudor.

My buddies take far more interest in the oddities than the (now) instragram fodder I own :(

It'll be a long time until I buy another Rolex. I think it's now Day Date or nothing ... And thats a little while away!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Really??

At $179.00 US this just screams please wear me at least to me. I'm a sucker for color and design and this case shape is my favorite. Mick you're missing out on enjoying watches for pleasure.

You like what you do and I like what I do, so good luck to the pair of us.

I can only deduce that this has been a ruse all along and he doesn't own a single Rolex. It's a classic wind-up. In fact....is that you Burnsey?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Lots of deflection from the simple request ‘of shows us a pic of a watch you own’ - just saying!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I can only deduce that this has been a ruse all along and he doesn't own a single Rolex. It's a classic wind-up. In fact....is that you Burnsey?
    Are you prepared to meet and make a bet and I mean a decent bet. Then you can apologise. If I have the Rolex, you bung £1000.00 into the Fundraiser, if I don't produce then I put the £1000.00 in.

The last person who called me a liar backed down.

So the ball is in your court.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Just post a photograph you odious old bigot.
    No way. I have been called a liar and if I send a pic then it could have come from anywhere. I will prove beyond a shadow of doubt that I own 5 Rolex plus one for my wife.

There is nothing to stop you betting as well. I am sure Eddie will love £2000.00 going into his coffers.

So do you want to join in?

No way. I have been called a liar and if I send a pic then it could have come from anywhere. I will prove beyond a shadow of doubt that I own 5 Rolex plus one for my wife.

There is nothing to stop you betting as well. I am sure Eddie will love £2000.00 going into his coffers.

Chop chop and get that gondolo on my account. I’ll prove it for you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Chop chop and get that gondolo on my account. I’ll prove it for you.
    Me no understand that.

I have no doubt that you have those watches, it is clear that you love your status symbols and you have very nearly caused your wife a serious mischief because of it. You are making a right idiot of yourself again, give it a break.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I have no doubt that you have those watches, it is clear that you love your status symbols and you have very nearly caused your wife a serious mischief because of it. You are making a right idiot of yourself again, give it a break.
    Thanks, I will take that as an apology.

What for?

Master
    What for?
    For accepting that I am not lying. Also on a separate note it is a bit distasteful bringing my wife into it.

Yes she was shook up and yes I felt as guilty as hell and I have not worn a Rolex in Spain since. I am not the only man in this forum who has worn a decent watch with his wife at his side.

It's obvious you hate my guts but bringing a wife into it is just not on.

For accepting that I am not lying.
    When did I call you a liar?

Master
    When did I call you a liar?
    That is less important than dragging my wife into this.

You obviously think it is perfectly ok so let's just call it quits.

Talking

That is less important than dragging my wife into this.

You obviously think it is perfectly ok so let's just call it quits.

No bet as obviously I don’t have anything to prove.

Are you prepared to meet and make a bet and I mean a decent bet. Then you can apologise. If I have the Rolex, you bung £1000.00 into the Fundraiser, if I don't produce then I put the £1000.00 in.

The last person who called me a liar backed down.

So the ball is in your court.

Master
    You really are a total jerk, dragging a 70 year old woman into this is plain obnoxious and all you want to do is score cheap points.

You really are a total jerk, dragging a 70 year old woman into this is plain obnoxious and all you want to do is score cheap points.
    I’d say they’re Selfridges food hall points but your mileage may vary.

I would, in all honesty, find it difficult to wear a cheap watch because it would be a horrible after wearing a good brand.

That must surely apply in all walks of life, it is human nature to strive for the best and to go back to lesser stuff is an admission of self defeat.
    I can appreciate that, to an extent.

But I also feel that I could go back to anything, if I had to.

I suppose I don’t like that many ‘cheap’ watches, but I have a fair number of cheaper watches, like G shocks, or even Tudors, or Omegas that I enjoy but they are cheap or cheaper when compared to some other watches.

I still enjoy wearing my Rolex watches, and hope I always will.

In my journey since joining the forum, I’ve gone from having approx. 60% Rolex, 25% Omega, and an assortment of other watches, to then buying and trying more expensive brands, lots of micro-brands, and most of the mainstream brands. Ultimately that has led me back to Rolex, but adding a lot of Tudor watches while waiting for the occasionally Rolex AD to call when a watch has finally come into stock.

So full circle for me really.

I’ll likely try to concentrate on very few brands going forward, and no doubt the usual boring mid luxury tier semi-safe choices.

Thankfully, I live in a relatively safe place - not sure anyone has ever been mugged for a watch here, ever. So I can wear a Rolex or Patek in any bar, club or street while I’m home. I used to believe I’d wear what I like where I like, and have worn a Rolex all over the world on holiday, including Brazil and Jamaica. But I was a tall 17-18 stone lean male, so probably not an automatic target. These days as 50+ man, it’s highly likely that no longer applies, and I’d more likely wear a Tudor in some of those situation, or maybe a G shock in some more dangerous places. I think some should be concerned for their mobile phones and jewellery in some places though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Mick, it was you who shared on a public forum how your attitude regarding wearing a Rolex anywhere and everywhere had unfortunate consequences beyond solely impacting on yourself, which thankfully were not as serious as they could have been. It's relevant to this thread and also as good as proves that you have at least one of the watches that you claim, which was being questioned.

I don't hate your guts, by the way. I just find the unpleasant internet persona that you have created for yourself very hard to digest, but it's an unmoderated forum so fill yer boots but don't expect to go unchallenged.

Master
    You like what you do and I like what I do, so good luck to the pair of us.
    Mick I like watches in general I don't choose by the name on the dial or the cost. I do wish you the best with your choices and I am out.

Master
    As a relative newbie to watch collecting having given up hifi due to hearing issues and being 70 I’m in the more luxury phase still and enjoy wearing the watches I own, always under a long sleeved shirt btw.
    Nobody sees them or would care anyway in my circle of friends. It’s just for my own pleasure - nothing more.

Kind of, yes. In the last 15 years I've gone from a couple of decent but affordable Seikos, to Oris, Steinhart, Breitling, Omega etc. The Breitling stayed, the rest moved on to be joined by a Zelos, a number of G-shocks, Suunto, Apple watch and suchlike. My last 5 watch purchases have all been G-shock or Casio and get worn daily. The Breitling is now for special occasions only.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    This place would be all the better if the queue of permanently seeking a scrap stopped lining up to jump on Mick every time he opens his gob.

So he would find it difficult to go back to wearing a cheap watch having worn a luxury one.
    Get the fainting couch ready followed by the pitchforks and accelerant.

Alternatively grow up and stop pretending that the difference between a G Shock and a Grandmaster Chime cant be felt on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    This place would be all the better if the queue of permanently seeking a scrap stopped lining up to jump on Mick every time he opens his gob.

So he would find it difficult to go back to wearing a cheap watch having worn a luxury one.

Alternatively grow up and stop pretending that the difference between a G Shock and a Grandmaster Chime cant be felt on the wrist.
    I think it was his extension of the philosophy, 'to strive for the best'' in all walks of life, certainly the bit that leapt out for me...Presumably his Missus was a stunner back in the day?

But humour aside, ain't living your life well, about more than just buying expensive things!!! Jeez that's so unimaginative, simplistic, naïve. Definitely the stuff of wet dreams for marketers and anyone else seeking to part you from ya hard earned.

Mick, the gift that keeps on giving, saludos!

Blog Entries

Arrow

I think I’ve stumbled into an alternative BP thread. Come on chaps - let’s keep it civil, else take it outside.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The last watch I bought new was a Casio that cost me 49€, but the watch before that was about a 1000 times more.
    49*1,000=49,000€

I haven’t got into the mega-expensive watches.

help me with the definition of mega-expensive watches....

;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    49*1,000=49,000€

;-)
    Sorry, of course €49K is a ton of money - but compared to say €149K it is less. I've been fortunate enough to mark significant life points (some more poignant than others) with a significant watch purchase. I do sometimes fantasise about selling them all and consolidate to one rather special watch, but feel that variety is the spice of life. Martyn

Still no Rolex pic. Surprise!

Master
    Still no Rolex pic. Surprise!
    Still no bet. Surprised.

The bet still stands. Put your money where your mouth is.

Look Walter Mitty, you know full well that this is about you putting your watch where your camera is. It’s got bugger all to do with me. Why should I or anyone else pay to see your watches? Here’s a fact for you; you’ve never posted a pic of a watch on this forum. Why is that? So I’m going to call bullshit again. You’ve been here for years claiming to be the Rolex equivalent of Imelda Marcos yet we’ve never seen a single pic of your most treasured possessions. I find that strange.

At the end of the day I couldn’t give a rat’s ass whether you even own a watch at all. Excuse me while I go and Tai Mi Shu.

Still no bet. Surprised.

The bet still stands. Put your money where your mouth is.

Master
    Look Walter Mitty, you know full well that this is about you putting your watch where your camera is. It’s got bugger all to do with me. Why should I or anyone else pay to see your watches? Here’s a fact for you; you’ve never posted a pic of a watch on this forum. Why is that? So I’m going to call bullshit again. You’ve been here for years claiming to be the Rolex equivalent of Imelda Marcos yet we’ve never seen a single pic of your most treasured possessions. I find that strange.

At the end of the day I couldn’t give a rat’s ass whether you even own a watch at all. Excuse me while I go and Tai Mi Shu.
    One minute you say I am a liar and I don't have a Rolex.

Next day you want me to send in pics as proof I have them. How very ostentatious.

I resent being called a liar but I will send in pics just to prove that you have levelled a false accusation.

So take the bet, you pay £1000 into the fundraiser when I prove that I have the Rolex or I pay into the fundraiser if I cannot prove I have the Rolex.

You have nothing to loose if your accusation is correct.

You are loosing your nerve and it shows.

Also why did you say I am Burnsey?

Mick you’re full of shit and I’m out. The more you protest the more you cement our belief that you’re Walter Mitty. Enjoy your imaginary watches.

Master
    Mick you’re full of shit and I’m out. The more you protest the more you cement our belief that you’re Walter Mitty. Enjoy your imaginary watches.
    Sorry you are stalling, it is obvious to everyone that you made a false accusation and you are bottling out.

If you genuinely believe that I am lying, why not take the bet and make the fundraiser £1000 at my expense.

If anyone is full of anything, it is you.
    Last edited by Mick P; 20th March 2023 at 20:17.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why do people feel the urge to swear in a Watch Talk thread?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Apologies, I have amended my posting.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Given some of the expletives I've seen in the public areas of the forum lately it can be assumed that Eddie is constantly busy with processing orders, otherwise there'd be deletions and bans aplenty.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    ….

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

You buying one Martyn? ;)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A Rolex is a better watch than say a Timex and a damn site more enjoyable to wear. Just a simple fact of life. If you think there's something wrong with that, then so be it but I'll stick with preferring the Rolex.
    Better at what? The fact is that every single current Timex has more more accurate and precise specs than any current mainstream Rolex.

I don't know about photos, but you have never shown any interest in what goes on inside a watch, or anything other than waving a wad via horology, and so I'd guess that the difference between a fake Rolex and a real one is not one you'd be able to work out for yourself. As such a fake would do as well as a real one?

Given that, why is a fake Rolex more enjoyable to wear than a Timex?

Of course, you can claim you could tell the difference...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

Entirely agree. If someone gets yer goat put them on ignore. Works great for me and whosomever has me on ignore.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Better at what? The fact is that every single current Timex has more more accurate and precise specs than any current mainstream Rolex.

I don't know about photos, but you have never shown any interest in what goes on inside a watch, or anything other than waving a wad via horology, and so I'd guess that the difference between a fake Rolex and a real one is not one you'd be able to work out for yourself. As such a fake would do as well as a real one?

Given that, why is a fake Rolex more enjoyable to wear than a Timex?

Of course, you can claim you could tell the difference...
    I have decided not to mention the name of any watch that may be deemed expensive because doing so seems to upset the usual suspects. Therefore I am refraining from any discussions on them in order to keep the peace.

The good news for you is that due to the fact that I am not engaging with 8 members who always seem intent on arguing, I will hardly visit the Bear Pit which is where they tend to reside.

Also by no longer discussing "expensive watches", I am virtually cutting my own tongue out. So sorry but in order to maintain harmony in the forum, I decline to respond.
    Last edited by Mick P; 20th March 2023 at 21:08.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have decided not to mention the name of any watch that may be deemed expensive because doing so seems to upset the usual suspects. Therefore I am refraining from any discussions on them in order to keep the peace.

The good news for you is that due to the fact that I am not engaging with 8 members who always seem intent on arguing, I will hardly visit the Bear Pit which is where they tend to reside.

Also by no longer discussing "expensive watches", I am virtually cutting my own tongue out. So sorry but in order to maintain harmony in the forum, I decline to respond.
    That's very kind of you.

And so very Rolex, let me explain.

Gleitz failing to swim the Channel wearing a Rolex.
    Shipton, Lambert, Bourdillon and Evans failing to climb Everest wearing a Rolex.
    Swiggert, failing to get to the Moon Wearing a Rolex
    While Omega, IWC, Seiko and pretty well everyone else supplied combatants in WWII, Rolex supplied POWs, so failing to escape from Colditz in both film and reality, yep, that was Rolex.

I could go on about all the second places and all, but I think that's my point made.

Rolex watches are nice enough, but do you really want to be associated with so much braggadocio (I'm sure the good vicar will be along to remind you) and so much failure. I guess you pays your money...

Tbh I’ve been out of expensive watches because of all the BS that surround them. Fawning over what (insert latest Instagram person) is wearing - the Rolex crowd, literally any mention of Paul fricking Newman… and frankly I do slightly worry that people might think I have an attitude that Mick has alluded to. Someone at work introduced me to a colleague and said that I like watches and I was just hoping they didn’t think I like ‘brands’ but they probably did, because what else would a general member of the public think - I doubt they envisage me looking at how to fade a NATO strap of an evening. As I get older I’m finding other things more important.

Just wear what you enjoy.

I think its nice to try out cheaper brands to see if you like the style of a certain brand (I have had about 2 Precista watches and 2 Panerai homage watches to see if I really want to buy a Panerai and I am still undecided!)

Its nice to have a watch of a certain price that you are are not too bothered if it gets a knock or a scratch.

Its nice to have something a bit special you have worked towards, you may not wear it all the time but its a nice little reminder all the same.

Micro brands have gone up in price but there are still a few little gems still out there (Zeno, Serica to name a few)

There will always be another watch more expensive than the one you own (Stowa, Dornbluth, Lange....Rolex, Blancpain......) Why bother worrying about it?

A Rolex can make someone feel good because they feel it gives them a bit of status or even it has a special memory. A Timex or a vintage Accurist may do just the same because it belong to a family member or it was a first watch someone owned.

Life is too short to get worked up over these kinds of things.

Back to the topic. I’m not completely back to affordable but I do find that those are the watches that interest me the most these days. I’ve been fortunate to own a great many watches over the years. Started out with a vintage Rolex 1603 and a few mid level pieces, then moved heavily into Rolex and, at one point, owned nine at the same time. That got boring as, others may disagree, they’re all basically the same watch just with a slight change in bezel and basic complication. They mostly went and I expanded into other makes. The likes of GP, UN, JLC etc, all available at or around the Rolex prices at the time and all marginally better than Rolex. I then moved further up into the realms of AP, VC and PP as the collection grew to stupid levels. At that point I assumed that price would give some indication of quality and, having owned so many, I can now say that it doesn’t, most of what you are paying for is the name on the dial.

In reality I think there is really not much difference in quality between a £1k watch and a £10k watch. With a Rolex you may get an in-house movement but, with the numbers they produce, that movement probably cost them less to make than smaller brands pay to buy a movement. I seriously doubt that any steel watch under the £10k mark costs more than £500 to produce for the big boys. And the finishing on a Rolex is certainly no better than on a Longines or a Breitling. Quality does get marginally better the higher up the chain you go but, except for my Moser and possibly Parmigiani, it doesn’t really justify the increase in price.

I still own a few luxury watches but it’s the microbrands that I keep more of an eye on now. Some of these are amazing value for money. Eddie’s watches are a prime example, the Smiths Caribbean may not beat the current Rolex divers, but it knocks the five digit versions I’ve owned out of the park in terms of feel and finish. It may not have the in-house movement but that movement doesn’t justify the thousands extra in cost. Now I just wear what I like and don’t judge watches by their price, I find that this makes this hobby much more enjoyable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I will only buy what interests and appeals to me from either design or technical perspective and cost within my budget constraints is never the primary.

That being said I think there's often a warm, fuzzy feeling with watches that over deliver for the money, like the Timefactors pieces.

Been wearing a zodiac super sea wolf lately and it's subjectively to me a massive amount of watch for not much money.

Master
    To answer the OP - yes…no, well kind of.
    I started my watch journey many years ago with very affordable watches then gradually they started to increase and, at one point, I was buying a (pre-owned mid level) watch every month or two, I feel I must point out this was before marriage/kids/house etc…
    Its not very often I decide to sell a watch & hence still have the vast majority of watches that I’ve had for years but I do find myself wearing the very inexpensive cheaper models I own more and more these past couple of years.
    The Tag Heuer, Doxa, Omega, Breitling, Rolex, Tudor etc very rarely get any wrist time, as long as I’m wearing a watch (any watch) I’m happy I guess.