closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Rolex Related Death !

Master

Jeez that's awful news,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blimey, in broad daylight, in front of shoppers, with a hammer, poor sod.

It´ll get worse, cost of living crisis, soaring inequality, not enough coppers and some of them with better things to do than go make arrests, before it gets better.
    Last edited by Passenger; 16th March 2023 at 13:54.

Master
    Cripes.

Shocking.

Master
    We have got to live with this because criminals seem to have a lot of civil rights and the public are now reluctant to help because they could get into trouble themselves and a policeman will not be there for 5 mins at the least. The police/CPS will only prosecute if the thief is caught with the watch on their person and they can disperse fairly quickly, so making that unlikely.

I don't wear Rolex outdoors anymore, no watch in the world is worth the risk of being duffed up and spending a few weeks of painful recovery.

I now wear a 1954 JLC Powermatic outdoors and that is about as far under the radar as you can get. It's gold but is only 34mm in dia and has a brown leather strap.

It's just a sign of the times unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

I don't wear Rolex outdoors anymore, no watch in the world is worth the risk of being duffed up and spending a few weeks of painful recovery.

It makes you question the point of ownership if you cannot enjoy something. I don’t see much point having a watch if you can only sit in the house with it on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    It makes you question the point of ownership if you cannot enjoy something. I don’t see much point having a watch if you can only sit in the house with it on.
    Yes I have to agree somewhat with that.

We have got to live with this because criminals seem to have a lot of civil rights and the public are now reluctant to help because they could get into trouble themselves and a policeman will not be there for 5 mins at the least. The police/CPS will only prosecute if the thief is caught with the watch on their person and they can disperse fairly quickly, so making that unlikely.

I now wear a 1954 JLC Powermatic outdoors and that is about as far under the radar as you can get. It's gold but is only 34mm in dia and has a brown leather strap.

Let's leave aside the politics of why there may not be as many police officers as there were, say in 2009. May I simply offer a factual correction to your statement; "The police/CPS will only prosecute if the thief is caught with the watch on their person."

That's inaccurate. The CPS will prosecute based on any evidence provided by the police, where it is then in the public interest to do so and there is then a reasonable prospect of conviction, namely the 51% rule. Possession of a stolen item is neither here nor there, especially when in this case there has been an assault leading to a fatality.

And by the way, everyone has civil rights. Yes, even criminals.

Master
    I liquidated a Daytona recently for this very reason. Bought 3 Tudors, a Ducati and an all inclusive holiday in the sun. Do I miss it, no and I don’t have to worry about my house being invaded or stabbed in the street. Sad state of affairs but it’s a choice and I’ve made mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Let's leave aside the politics of why there may not be as many police officers as there were, say in 2009. May I simply offer a factual correction to your statement; "The police/CPS will only prosecute if the thief is caught with the watch on their person."

That's inaccurate. The CPS will prosecute based on any evidence provided by the police, where it is then in the public interest to do so and there is then a reasonable prospect of conviction, namely the 51% rule. Possession of a stolen item is neither here nor there, especially when in this case there has been an assault leading to a fatality.

And by the way, everyone has civil rights. Yes, even criminals.
    OK, let's just say for the purpose of argument that the thief was either not prosecuted or found not guilty. Then surely any person who tried to prevent the theft by restraining him could be be considered guilty of assault on an innocent person. The law is a total mess in this respect and as a result, watch theft convictions are very rare.

Terrible shame. I've really cut down the amount I wear my SeaDweller out in public, putting it on a nato makes it a little less conspicuous but still not worth the risk.

OK, let's just say for the purpose of argument that the thief was either not prosecuted or found not guilty. Then surely any person who tried to prevent the theft by restraining him could be be considered guilty of assault on an innocent person. The law is a total mess in this respect and as a result, watch theft convictions are very rare.
    There is a well established case law on citizens' arrests and the use of proportionate reasonable force to detain someone or in self-defence. I wouldn't say it's a complete mess but as with many legal matters, what may seem apparent, obvious and reasonable may not turn out to be so once filtered through the criminal or civil courts. Personally speaking, generally I would be whipping out my phone to record evidence rather than physically intervening, but that's me at my age and with my knowledge. Circumstances may dictate other courses of action.

I don't have theft specific data but current CPS conviction rates are at 82%.

Moving on, it's a terrible thing to lose one's life in such a manner, and I hope that justice is done.

When my submariner was stolen in 2017 along with my wallet/ debit card the police told me they were too understaffed to investigate it any further and just took a statement and provided a crime number

I was shocked as I was able to provide the police with the exact times, dates and locations where my debit card had been used after the robbery so it wasn’t as if they had to sit through hours of CCTV footage!

I got the impression the police only seem to investigate if the assault was serious, luckily mine wasn’t.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 16th March 2023 at 15:58.

What a tragic story, got to wonder if it was a crime of opportunity or if the victim was known. Genuine question though - don't they have a serial number on them, if so and if the watch is known to have been stolen doesn:t that limit the sale of it? Is it wishful thinking to hope that dealers would check before buying or servicing it?

Quote Originally Posted by stevet1 View Post
    Genuine question though - don't they have a serial number on them, if so and if the watch is known to have been stolen doesn:t that limit the sale of it? Is it wishful thinking to hope that dealers would check before buying or servicing it?
    I was told the chances of ever getting the watch back was slim to none. The officer said often the stolen watches are broken down into parts and sold that way or have the cases re-stamped with genuine cloned numbers and sold on to unsuspecting buyers.

It makes you wonder how many of the reported 621 robberies of luxury watches in first half of 2022 in London are in circulation.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    Terrible shame. I've really cut down the amount I wear my SeaDweller out in public, putting it on a nato makes it a little less conspicuous but still not worth the risk.
    I've become a lot more careful about wearing my SeaDweller when I travel to London. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it. The ridiculous thing is that in the grand scheme of things being an SS tool watch, an SD is not even particularly valuable. It's definitely a Rolex phenomenon.

Ironically I feel a lot more comfortable wearing a Big Pilot when I'm out, as although it's unmissable nobody else really knows what it is.

Master
    Mick, & I quote you, 'never sell a Rolex,' would you now consider selling yours if this is how you feel.
    Genuine question.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Mick, & I quote you, 'never sell a Rolex,' would you now consider selling yours if this is how you feel.
    Genuine question.
    I must admit I am thinking of selling but I will most likely hang on to them as a bunch of safe queens. I still think they will make a reasonable investment just lying dormant in a safe.

After only wearing mechanical watches for 15 years. I now mainly wear my Apple Watch and saves Rolexes etc so special occasions or when I'm driving somewhere. Although I don't wear them often I've no desire to sell them. Appreciate them like art!

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds a bit far fetched?
    In my mind it sounds more like an execution than a robbery.
    I’m not convinced at the moment.

Master
    In Barbados a couple of weeks ago.
    Wore my Sub all week travelled on public transport(Reggae bus) most days and never felt in the least bit intimidated or vulnerable.
    Would I wear it in full view in London now? Probably not.
    Ironically in Glasgow I wouldn't think twice about wearing any watch in public.

Journeyman
    Tragic news, whatever the actual circumstances.

I know the area well and lets just say that in my opinion predators certainly wouldn't be trawling the area randomly looking for affluent members of society that just happened to be wearing 10k worth of watch. It is simply not that kind of place.

Whatever the reason, it is a horrible incident for all concerned, including the broader community.

Whether the Rolex legend was a factor, or if that was simply some media click bait, only time will tell.........

Horrific, regardless.

Master
    I think the point of ownership of rolex watches has changed over the last 10 years though. Now mostly looked at as an appreciating asset and locked away rather than previously bought to wear and enjoy because of what is (IMO...)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    I've become a lot more careful about wearing my SeaDweller when I travel to London. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it. The ridiculous thing is that in the grand scheme of things being an SS tool watch, an SD is not even particularly valuable. It's definitely a Rolex phenomenon.

Ironically I feel a lot more comfortable wearing a Big Pilot when I'm out, as although it's unmissable nobody else really knows what it is.
    All relative though. Its a bit like walking around with a carrier bag saying "£10k Cash" on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    In Barbados a couple of weeks ago.
    Wore my Sub all week travelled on public transport(Reggae bus) most days and never felt in the least bit intimidated or vulnerable.
    Would I wear it in full view in London now? Probably not..
    I agree. I felt 100% comfortable wearing a Rolex in Barbados, Bahrain and Budapest for that matter but I wouldn't risk it in London or the rest of the continent now. Last time I was on the tube there was a Chinese guy rocking a DJ41 in full view. Maybe I was being paranoid but it looked like a number of people around him had clocked it. I also saw lots of Asian tourists openly wearing Subs, GMTs and Daytonas in the various parks. They must be oblivious to the dangers as its really not a clever thing to do nowadays.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    All relative though. Its a bit like walking around with a carrier bag saying "£10k Cash" on it...
    I suppose what I was trying to say is that with SS Rolexes being so heavily faked, it must be very hit and miss as a thief getting a genuine watch. Considering the effort/risk would be the same, it would make more sense to target people wearing RMs, APs, PPs etc. They aren't in short supply in some parts of London.

Master
    I suppose what I was trying to say is that with SS Rolexes being so heavily faked, it must be very hit and miss as a thief getting a genuine watch. Considering the effort/risk would be the same, it would make more sense to target people wearing RMs, APs, PPs etc. They aren't in short supply in some parts of London.
    A Rolex is dead easy to spot just by the bracelet, the bling and the cyclops. Spotting other makes is not quite as easy. Also it depends where you go.

If you spot a Eastern Tourist wearing a Rolex, I would imagine it is genuine, I often see British and German retirees wearing Rolex dining in good Spanish restaurants and you can bet your bottom Dollar those are all genuine.

I have yet to see any RMs, APs or PPs in the wild.

It's mainly about picking your targets in the right place.

A Rolex is dead easy to spot just by the bracelet, the bling and the cyclops. Spotting other makes is not quite as easy. Also it depends where you go.

If you spot a Eastern Tourist wearing a Rolex, I would imagine it is genuine, I often see British and German retirees wearing Rolex dining in good Spanish restaurants and you can bet your bottom Dollar those are all genuine.

Likely genuine if you are a celebrity too. I notice Flintoff and Mcguinness have ditched their 'on screen' Rolex recently. Back in 2018 I started a thread about Michael McIntyre being done. Interesting to see some of the replies I had. If people are prepared to go toe to toe with Amir Khan to get a watch, who is safe?
    My point then is as is now, get street wise and look after yourself and don't actually increase your chances of being a victim. It hardly matters what you SHOULD be able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I agree. I felt 100% comfortable wearing a Rolex in Barbados, Bahrain and Budapest for that matter but I wouldn't risk it in London or the rest of the continent now. Last time I was on the tube there was a Chinese guy rocking a DJ41 in full view. Maybe I was being paranoid but it looked like a number of people around him had clocked it. I also saw lots of Asian tourists openly wearing Subs, GMTs and Daytonas in the various parks. They must be oblivious to the dangers as its really not a clever thing to do nowadays.
    Sad job when you can’t wear a DJ41 without fear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    I liquidated a Daytona recently for this very reason. Bought 3 Tudors, a Ducati and an all inclusive holiday in the sun. Do I miss it, no and I don’t have to worry about my house being invaded or stabbed in the street. Sad state of affairs but it’s a choice and I’ve made mine.
    Good choice with the Ducati. That must be much more fun than wearing a watch!

Craftsman
    This is a good point about fakes, and I seem to remember reading at least a couple of stories in the media that people have had fake Rolexes forcibly stolen. I believe one unfortunate youngster was murdered for his.

Craftsman
    Some poor guy was murdered recently for his fake Patek ... so the thieves definitely have eyes for PP as well as Rolex ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...urt-hears.html

And these are the results. Even the dealers are complaining.

Oscars: The Most DISAPPOINTING Watches...and the STARS who wore them!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq0-MOZ5myA
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    And these are the results. Even the dealers are complaining.

Oscars: The Most DISAPPOINTING Watches...and the STARS who wore them!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq0-MOZ5myA
    Completely irrelevant on this thread, better here >
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?523551

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this sounds a bit far fetched?
    In my mind it sounds more like an execution than a robbery.
    I’m not convinced at the moment.
    I notice one of the articles I came across described him as a "loveable rogue" which is normally newspaper code and the police say they have had an "open mind" so might be more to this than it first appears.

I disagree. All the watches you mention are an easy spot, if you know anything about watches and those trading in stolen watches will know exactly what they are. The biggest difference I would say is that stolen Rolex are so easy to move on, in the same way that most people don't bat an eyelid about fake Rolex.

I've also been told that people travelling through airports and carrying watches in holdalls are being asked if they are Rolex. No mention of other brands which might suggest that the international trade in stolen Rolex is gaining momentum.

You are obviously not going to the right places

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Or moving in the wrong circles.(Sounds about right from the tosh you post)
    I’m just south of Glasgow and have seen PP’s and AP’s locally.
    You need to find somewhere better to live.
    Edit. I also wear what I like, (on my wrist) when I like, not a thought given.
    If I thought about not being able to, I’d sell the lot. they are for wearing.
    Last edited by watchlovr; 20th March 2023 at 10:19.

Master
    Upon landing at Naples Airport 11 months ago for a family holiday to Italy, I noticed the officer at passport control paying a lot of attention to my OP36. After we'd gone through, he emerged out of the back of his booth and advised me to be very careful in public with it as street thefts of valuable watches was practically an inevitability. I shall be ever grateful to him for that and spent most of the time with my sleeves pulled firmly down.

I'd most likely not wear it at all in most of the major UK cities, just not worth it.

Tackling Watch Crime on the BBC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfB6Jw6zEcA

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The only logical conclusion.

Just watched 24 hours in police custody. Guy killed for rolex watches in a honey trap.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...herts-65020151

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Completely irrelevant on this thread, better here >
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?523551
    When the actors are not wearing bling... may be there is a relevant message there.

Master
    I wore a 14060M cosc 4 liner for many years all over the planet including hotspots .

This is wearing it often with sleaves rolled up , in busy metropolitan places or even asleep in local buses and trains , on the lash with locals and even around organized criminals and militia groups ( also often on the lash with them) .

Never had an issue really . Occasional friendly remarks from other WIS although my monaco and F300 Omega probably got more attention. Maybe many people assumed a Rolex was fake in the more lugubrious parts or were from less media and fashion aware parts of the world. Or a 14060m is a smaller less obvious rolex to the average opportunist .

I’d probably think twice about Brazil that’s about it.

Nowadays I mostly wear an applewatch day to day ( god knows why just a change) but the monaco I wear as my dress watch and the F300 is my grab watch as it doesn’t need winding ( its currently non functional though …. Help please).

Only regret I have is selling the Rolex , I did like it and I sold it for a tiny fraction of its current value to help out the most beautiful lady I ever met who I eventually was engaged to but who subsequently chucked me for being a white imperialist colonial racist for vague reasoning , I only wish she’d told me that before I sold the Rolex but I guess if you are going to sell a Rolex its not a bad reason .

There was also the fanciful idea that the rolex could be hawked or bartered for small private plane or boat charter to get out of dodge if required but a bank transfer credit card or wad of cash is possibly a better bet in most places.
    Last edited by Mr.D; 22nd March 2023 at 10:54.

A Rolex is dead easy to spot just by the bracelet, the bling and the cyclops.
    I think you’re safe as your imaginary ones will be impossible to spot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think you’re safe as your imaginary ones will be impossible to spot.
    Still casting doubts but still scared stiff to take the bet.

Street wise

I like to think I’m street wise enough to not worry about what’s on the wrist. I live in a town outside a major city that is very twee (horses and tweed etc) but do venture into the city on a weekly basis. I never worry about what I wear which is mainly vintage Rolex and also precious metal vintage. Maybe because the vintage models are scruffy and not as clean and noticeable as a new current model. However I did have, or so I thought, a worrying episode last Christmas at a Glasgow Redbar event. Walking to my car to drive home carrying a watch roll stuffed under my jacket two drunk Bams (hard nuts) stopping people to ask for cigarettes. A quick diversion across the road and watching them from the corner of my eye, noticed them engaged in conversation with potentially the next victim. Quick jog to car and away. Time for a quick exit? Time for a cool sharp Harp!

Master
    Mick, make the bet a realistic £50 & I'm sure you'll get many people take you up on it. F/raiser gets the money & you can then post a pic of your Rolex, easy.