closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watches of Whitby

Craftsman

Watches of Whitby

I saw a watch on the Watches of Whitby website that I quite like. The price seems fair an the condition looks good. Having spoken to them, they seem helpful enough and they appear to have a long-standing Bricks and mortar shop.

Does anybody have any experience of dealing with them? I am a firm believer in buy the seller so grateful for any feedback..

Great to deal with. Lovely store if you’re close by.

Craftsman
    Thanks - reassuring. Sadly I am not close by. Taking a bit of a punt on an internet purchase, hence the request for feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Great to deal with. Lovely store if you’re close by.

If you do a wee search on the forum, you will find the shop is very well regarded here, and is also owned by a long-standing member here too.........

Craftsman
    Of course, I should have thought to use the search function. Reassuring to hear the owner is a longstanding member.

I've bought two Rolex from them (Alex is also a member here) and I've put feedback in H&V.

No complaints at all and would happily buy again.

I follow his Instagram and he always seems to have good stuff.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Theyre excellent. I've bought sold and traded a few bits both in person and through the post so I wouldn't worry if I were you. Alex is a gem and an old member here.

Alex will look after you.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Search Alexaff in H&V.

All good.

Bought a Cartier there via Chrono24. Absolutely spot on, one of the best buying experiences I've ever had.

Master
    I would expect you to be in good hands with Alex.

Top man is Alex.

Those Scottish nights out were legendary ...

Master
    Alex is a nice chap, I’m always looking at their website. Haven’t quite done a deal with them yet but surely will in time.

Journeyman
    Just looked on their web site. Some really nice stuff on there. The green breitlings really caught my eye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t realise it was a fellow TZ member who ran the place, I’m going to pop in next time as they always have nice stuff in their window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I saw a watch on the Watches of Whitby website that I quite like. The price seems fair an the condition looks good. Having spoken to them, they seem helpful enough and they appear to have a long-standing Bricks and mortar shop.

Does anybody have any experience of dealing with them? I am a firm believer in buy the seller so grateful for any feedback..
    I popped in there while we were away in Whitby for a few days last summer. Lovely little shop, super friendly gent working there that I had a chat with, had a laugh with my young son about watches and gave us a complimentary watch pouch. I wasn’t buying at the time, but if I was I would 100% be heading there.

Also, worth a visit just an excuse to go to Whitby, one of my favourite coastal towns, love the history, the beaches, the harbour at night when it’s lit up. The shop is at the bottom of the steps that lead up to the old monastery. Can recommend the ghost walk too, fascinating.

Like it has been said. Alex is a top bloke. Fellow watch nutcase.

I would have no hesitation at all recommending his business.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I didn’t realise it was a fellow TZ member who ran the place, I’m going to pop in next time as they always have nice stuff in their window.
    Alex isn't often in the shop but Mike who works there is also TZ member and will look after you.

Both these are from Whitby, his and hers.

Highly recommended.

Yes, fully agree with the above. Travelled up from the south coast to visit in person in January, followed by fish and chips for lunch of course. Now, we didn't quite make the figures work for both of us but thoroughly enjoyed the trip up and the visit to the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Both these are from Whitby, his and hers.
    I've never thought to eat my jammy dodgers with an ill-fitting spoon. I take it you like a challenge? (o;

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I've never thought to eat my jammy dodgers with an ill-fitting spoon. I take it you like a challenge? (o;
    I think you will find its that well known game of 'biscuit catapult', great to play at home, but frowned upon in a cafe.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I think that was a mini-dodger on a tea spoon served at the Café at the opposite end of Church Street to Watches of Whibty. A fine establishment to admire your new purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think you will find its that well known game of 'biscuit catapult', great to play at home, but frowned upon in a cafe.
    Jammy dodgers are a very high stakes choice of ammunition too, given their exposed jam middle. Definitely implies a higher class of contestant.

I think that was a mini-dodger on a tea spoon served at the Café at the opposite end of Church Street to Watches of Whibty. A fine establishment to admire your new purchase.
    Sounds like a nice way to mark the occasion - assuming you hadn't been overly spoiled with champers and coffee in the jewellers beforehand. I should make a detour on my triannual trip to Sheffield down the A1.

Local ish to me and a great shop.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks for the feedback. Credentials verified!

Pity Whitby isn’t local. Would have been lovely to pay the shop a visit.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, it is very much appreciated.

Craftsman
    Really nice little boutique shop. I’ve even called the shop and spoken with Alex about a private purchase and he was happy to chat and offer some advice.

Craftsman
    I brought a daydate from them last year. Really exceptional service

Craftsman
    Just wanted to say I bought a gorgeous pink 31mm Datejust for my wife for a 25th anniversary present following the feedback/reviews. It arrived this afternoon and all appears to be as described. Fair price, excellent communication and fast delivery - and my wife is delighted!

Would happily do business with them again

I see they have a recently serviced 116600 up for sale at an excellent price.

Must resist temptation!

Great ending, Alex always has good stock. I've been eyeing the 116600 Too but been down that road before already!

Master
    Nice to know I’m not the only one who’s been eyeing that 116600!!

Master
    Sounds like just the place to break up the trip to Croft circuit in July, ta.

Apprentice

Whitby

Whitby is great, my wife and I go every New Year's Eve, fish and chips at the Magpie and a wander round the town and along the two harbour piers. The watch shop you mention looks fine, its been there a few years so I doubt you will have a problem.

There is another decent watch shop on the other side of the harbour (connected to the Jura / CW Sellars group), they don't sell Rolex but I did buy a Tissot PRX at a good discount from them last December.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Sounds like just the place to break up the trip to Croft circuit in July, ta.
    It's quite a bit out of the way if you're travelling to Croft.

Whitby is a lovely town but for anyone thinking of visiting I'd suggest going on an overcast or winters day. It's absolute bedlam during holiday season.

Watches of Whitby is a lovely little shop and I've never heard anything but good things about the service. I would add that if Whitby s busy then the street that they're on gets very busy and it's very narrow. Blink on a day like that and you'll miss them. Make sure that you have a good idea of where they are if you're making the trip.

as someone else mentioned, CW Sellors is on the other side of the bridge and is also a nice shop. There's plenty of other shops to browse in Whitby as well from Whitby Jet shops to curio shops and even the regulars. Chips and fish/sausage/burger/peas/gravy is a must in Whitby and don't think for one moment that the only place to eat is the Magpie. There are numerous other chips in Whitby which are just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post

as someone else mentioned, CW Sellors is on the other side of the bridge and is also a nice shop. There's plenty of other shops to browse in Whitby as well from Whitby Jet shops to curio shops and even the regulars. Chips and fish/sausage/burger/peas/gravy is a must in Whitby and don't think for one moment that the only place to eat is the Magpie. There are numerous other chips in Whitby which are just as good.
    The CW Sellors shop may be okay but CW Sellors/Jura has a mixed (to be kind) reputation on here.

I have to say that - until prompted by this thread to do some research - I had no idea how beautiful Whitby was. I’m now planning a weekend trip up there on the bike... I actually have the next 12 Fridays off, so as soon as I’m stable enough health wise I’ll be off.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I have to say that - until prompted by this thread to do some research - I had no idea how beautiful Whitby was. I’m now planning a weekend trip up there on the bike... I actually have the next 12 Fridays off, so as soon as I’m stable enough health wise I’ll be off.
    God's county Tony.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    It's quite a bit out of the way if you're travelling to Croft.
    We usually have a few days after Croft someplace as an extended weekend, good excuse to be there, knew someone would see the error in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    God's county Tony.
    I'm an atheist, Chris ;)

I'm an atheist, Chris ;)
    Even better!.

You'll love it Tony, if you can try to go over the North York Moors via Hutton-le-Hole, Rosedale Abbey to Goathland (BBC Heartbeat locations). The scenery is beautiful. There other lovely fishing villages along the coast also worth a visit, from Runswick Bay to Robin Hoods Bay - with Whitby between the two.

Hope you're recovering quickly.

You'll love it Tony, if you can try to go over the North York Moors via Hutton-le-Hole, Rosedale Abbey to Goathland (BBC Heartbeat locations). The scenery is beautiful. There other lovely fishing villages along the coast also worth a visit, from Runswick Bay to Robin Hoods Bay - with Whitby between the two.

As above + Staithes.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Thank you for asking, Chris - it's a slow process but I'm seeing small signs of improvement day by day. Thanks also for those tips; I'll be on the bike so will make sure I take note and use the time I'll have as fully as possible. Really excited now I've made the decision!

Do you/anyone have any tips for nice hotels in or adjacent to Whitby with a car park attached (nothing too fancy, but 3-4 star type of standard)?

Should I go solo, I think I've found the perfect place about 15 miles from Whitby itself!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th March 2023 at 11:07.

Thank you for asking, Chris - it's a slow process but I'm seeing small signs of improvement day by day. Thanks also for those tips; I'll be on the bike so will make sure I take note and use the time I'll have as fully as possible. Really excited now I've made the decision!

Do you/anyone have any tips for nice hotels in or adjacent to Whitby with a car park attached (nothing too fancy, but 3-4 star type of standard)?
    Whitby's only an hour away from York so I've only stayed over once, that was at Raithwaite Sandsend - which was lovely. Alex rates Sneaton Castle which is in Whitby but like the Raithwaite estate it's at the top end. It's a tourist town so there are plenty of options available, AirB&B would be worth for holiday cottages.

Whitby's only an hour away from York so I've only stayed over once, that was at Raithwaite Sandsend - which was lovely. Alex rates Sneaton Castle which is in Whitby but like the Raithwaite estate it's at the top end. It's a tourist town so there are plenty of options available, AirB&B would be worth for holiday cottages.
    Yes, I've just added a link to a lovely AirBnB to my post above!

We've stayed here a few times,

https://www.bagdale.co.uk/
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    We've stayed here a few times,

https://www.bagdale.co.uk/
    Thanks. Lovely but not quite what I'm looking for (and no availability for the weekend I've pencilled in).

Master
    Robin Hoods Bay, 5 miles away, is a great place to stay. Rent a cottage there. There is also the Victoria Hotel.

Stunning views and good driving/biking roads.