closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bronze, what’s the verdict?

Bronze, what’s the verdict?

I’ve never owned anything apart from steel watches - ok, that’s a bit of a fib, had a 2 tone Seiko chronograph in the 80’s - didn’t everyone?!?, and a 2 tone submariner in the 90’s - but I’ve certainly never owned a bronze watch.
    I’ve been delighted with the bb58 I bought nearly a year ago and have been wearing it every day, properly back in love with a no date auto - and I’m now thinking of adding something else for a bit of rotation in a few months time. Although the 58 is perfect -
    In spite of my large wrists - I’m tempted by the black bay bronze as a larger, different flavour of a watch I’ve really warmed to - so I’ve been doing a bit of research as you do. I’m really surprised that there are now quite a few watches out there from Hamilton, Oris, Christopher Ward etc - many now with full bronze bracelets too. I thought Bronze was best kept away from the skin directly (all the bronze watches I’ve seen have steel or titanium casebacks after all). There also seem to be lots of different types of ‘bronze’ to complicate matters further. I also don’t really understand why the bronze version of the Kkaki mechanical is nearly twice the price of the steel, whereas the Tudor bronze isn’t priced far beyond the - slightly smaller - full size black bays. Does anyone have any experience of Bronze, anything I should look out for?

I've had a few, including the PRS-30 and a Steinhart Ocean 1 Bronze, and currently have the Hamilton Khaki Bronze.

Depending on the amount of copper and zinc the patina can vary quite a lot. The PRS-30 developed a dark brown patina, the Steinhart looked quite brassy, but the Hamilton has the most coppery patina of the the 3.

The patina itself is relatively delicate and areas that brush against things tend to remove the darker bits leaving a nice variety of finishes on the case.

Always been put off Bronze by the potential to turn your wrist green, so will interesting to hear what real-life owners have to say....

Master
    I've been very happy with a 2nd hand Black Bay Bronze 'Bucherer' which had already developed quite a dark
    patina. All I did was clean the watch head with a baking powder & Lemon juice paste[1] and gently washed the fabric strap in warm water. No problems with skin irritation or green staining.

[1] Sodium bicarb and citric acid would have removed all the patina.

Anything smaller than 40mm looks a bit dainty on my wrist...

Last edited by J J Carter; 5th March 2023 at 22:08.

Master

I have had a Tudor Blackbay Bronze (brown dial version) which was very nice and looked in my opinion great with a bit of Patina on the bronze . I never suffered from any staining or allergy to my wrist. I sold that and purchased a Tudor BB58 in bronze which as you may know has a bronze bracelet . When new it felt a bit too goldie but it has now dulled down lots and looks pretty cool. One of the great things is that it can be worn casually or with cuffs as it’s pretty low profile and comes with a nato should you wish to go down that route . The nato is pretty short even for my 7.5inch wrists and shall remain in the box. The bracelet does leave some green staining to your wrist if its sweaty but wipes off so no biggie. I like Bronze watches and would love a Panerai Bronzo but that’s never going to happen! Like one of the other posters I like each watch I own to have a different look so a 58 bronze fits in well with my Monaco, Panerai, Willard, FXD, BBN smiley amongst others:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 6th March 2023 at 08:44.

Bronze watches are like the weather, always different and some days are nicer than others.

I like that you can polish Bronze and bring the shiny finish back –*but you never get it to looking like a new watch as you can't polish the hard to reach spots. It's a material with it's own character.

I know some people like to have 17 versions of the same watch (eg Seiko diver) but I prefer a 'portfolio' of watches where each brings something different to the party. Bronze definitely offers a different look and feel so I'd say go for it.

Really like Bremont's bronze offerings but my current option is the Eterna diver:

Love mine:

Grand Master
    Bloody awful things, seriously!

I’ve worked on a few so had the chance to have a good look.........I just don’t get it, really can’t see the appeal.

- - - Updated - - -

Bloody awful things, seriously!

I’ve worked on a few so had the chance to have a good look.........I just don’t get it, really can’t see the appeal.

I would be interested in adding a bronze watch, it’s an interesting material that suits something purposeful and water orientated. It’s a shame my collection is too big as it is!

I always admired the original Anonimo Polluce, as I think they were the first to use the material. The Schofield Beaters also appeal to me at the right money.

Dave

Master
    I'm a big fan of bronze, and have owned a few, including 2 of Tudors BB offerings (had the brown dial, now have the slate) Hanhart and a Zenith CP2. Never had any problem with wrist/skin staining. I really like Tudors bronze alloy, as it has a more subtle patina, and takes longer to get there. Also really like the Hamilton Khaki bronze, unfortunately its a little to small for my liking.

I always fancied a bronze watch and would have had the Tudor except I personally don’t like the 3 6 9 dial. Quite keen on the longinnes or rado, but then I got introduced to the Schofield beater. Game over, awesome watch and love it to bits. Colouring up nicely and it works really well with the blue dial. I’m a big fan of bronze.

Master
    Had a Christopher ward c60 pro bronze for a while but recently sold it back to redmonaco and bought a Captain Cook bronze. The CW was copper tin and a lower tin content CuSn6 iirc, so it was reddish and patinad very quickly. CuSn8 takes longer and aluminium bronzes like Tudor, Rado and others use take longer again. The Rado is currently quite a gold colour and I'm looking forward to it dulling down.

I only noticed an occasional green tint on my wrist from the crown I think, although a full bronze bracelet would probably give a green stain. How much will depend, hot summer or sweaty exercise and it'll patina more.

I have come to enjoy a bronze as a casual watch and with the patina able to mask fine scratches they have a certain advantage as a beater.

Master
    Oh one downside, if you're someone that enjoys an aftermarket strap, it's hard to get what you want with bronze hardware and the bronze will still be different to the watch, so you'll not get a perfect match.

If you want big, the CW I had was 43mm and wore quite large. Much bigger than the Rado

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I'm a big fan of bronze, and have owned a few, including 2 of Tudors BB offerings (had the brown dial, now have the slate) Hanhart and a Zenith CP2. Never had any problem with wrist/skin staining. I really like Tudors bronze alloy, as it has a more subtle patina, and takes longer to get there. Also really like the Hamilton Khaki bronze, unfortunately its a little to small for my liking.

That’s a great selection! I think I’ll take a look at the grey slate dial Tudor. I did try one when I bought my BB58 - oddly I couldn’t do the strap up on the bronze Tudor, the strap seemed very short - are they adjustable somehow? My wrists are large so that might be the issue. I’m also put off the Khaki bronze due to the size. £830 seems a lot for such a basic watch too tbh. Thanks everyone for all the responses

Always been tempted by a Tudor bronze but not sure where my mind sits on bronze in general. They do look good in pictures.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    That’s a great selection! I think I’ll take a look at the grey slate dial Tudor. I did try one when I bought my BB58 - oddly I couldn’t do the strap up on the bronze Tudor, the strap seemed very short - are they adjustable somehow? My wrists are large so that might be the issue. I’m also put off the Khaki bronze due to the size. £830 seems a lot for such a basic watch too tbh. Thanks everyone for all the responses
    Yeap Tudor straps are short. I’ve got a medium size wrist (7.5inch) and the straps /natos that are provided do up but are usually on the last hole or second to last . Shame really as they are nice straps.

Master
    Thanks - wish I still had them all! There is some adjustment in the Tudor fabric strap at the buckle. The longer you make the strap, the shorter the gap between the 2 keepers.

I’ve got a Panerai bronzo, a 968. It has a titanium back so has never irritated or turned my skin green. Neither has the bronze buckle on the odd occasion that I’ve used it.

I’m allowing the patina to develop naturally and to my eye it appears different every time I wear it.

Personally I like the fact that the watch will be unique to me as the patina changes dependant on how and where I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I know some people like to have 17 versions of the same watch (eg Seiko diver) but I prefer a 'portfolio' of watches where each brings something different to the party. Bronze definitely offers a different look and feel so I'd say go for it.

Really like Bremont's bronze offerings but my current option is the Eterna diver:

What a great looking watch! Looks almost rose gold in that picture. And I've never seen a logo placed in a lumed marker before. Very cool.

They are definitely different...
    I have owned 2, and still have one of them. Mine are both 44mm which is really too big for me but I've enjoyed them both. Neither has a bronze case back, so no green wrists.
    The Schofield is lovely, but certainly not cheap at RRP, whereas the Gruppo Gamma is simple and good fun. Both mine were 24mm lugs so you can play with straps to your heart's content

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Not a fan of that "antique" look to be honest.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    What a great looking watch! Looks almost rose gold in that picture. And I've never seen a logo placed in a lumed marker before. Very cool.
    Thanks. Definitely has a rose gold tint to it. Logo works in the dark too...

Last edited by gunner; 6th March 2023 at 14:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Not a fan of that "antique" look to be honest.
    No, I prefer a slightly more subtle effect myself too. From what I understand there are different grades/types of bronze that all age at different rates and with slightly different colours. The Tudor is my sort of benchmark colour-wise, and from the pictures I’ve seen the Hamilton khaki mechanical looks to patina quite slowly too. Some appear quite yellow in pictures, others less so - although that might just be the photography. I also discovered the bronze LLD browsing the net last night, which are lovely but I can’t stand the oddly flat handset. More options out there than I realised!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    IMHO if you're just "thinking of adding something else for a bit of rotation" rather than being utterly dedicated to buying a bronze watch because you want a bronze watch, I wouldnt.
    It's nice in press releases, but (and again IMO) really not once it starts to discolour.

What about brass?

I've had both bronze and brass watches, both developing similar patina with wear to my eyes.

This a brass one in my collection:

Patina versus barely worn:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    IMHO if you're just "thinking of adding something else for a bit of rotation" rather than being utterly dedicated to buying a bronze watch because you want a bronze watch, I wouldnt.
    It's nice in press releases, but (and again IMO) really not once it starts to discolour.
    Really? IMHO I much prefer them once they start to discolour:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m curious as I’ve owned lots of watches like most of us on here, but never a bronze watch. It does appear as if there’s a big difference in the alloys used, and the patina is the point really. I’d never consider a shiny gold watch but the dulled down colour really appeals. However dirty green/brown really doesn’t- hence consulting the hive mind!!

Master
    The first bronze I got I liked raw but grew to like the patina. Having just got another raw bronze I want patina! It's not a gold watch but that's sort of how it looks currently!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m curious as I’ve owned lots of watches like most of us on here, but never a bronze watch. It does appear as if there’s a big difference in the alloys used, and the patina is the point really. I’d never consider a shiny gold watch but the dulled down colour really appeals. However dirty green/brown really doesn’t- hence consulting the hive mind!!
    I think the sticking point for me with them is that the patina isnt even sometimes and the colouration of it is a bit of a gamble.
    Ive seen some that have gone a duller colour, and others that have dulled with dirty brown highlights. Being risk averse I wouldn't get one for that reason but tbh I dont tend to wander away from steel/ti anyway due to my skin tone.

Helberg CH6 Bronze

An absolutely mahoosive purchase I made a good few years back.

Blog Entries
    I very much like my only bronze watch :

I don't wear it often, but the patina is developing nicely...

... & currently no intention of returning it to factory settings...

z
    Last edited by zelig; 7th March 2023 at 23:22.

I think the sticking point for me with them is that the patina isnt even sometimes and the colouration of it is a bit of a gamble.
    Ive seen some that have gone a duller colour, and others that have dulled with dirty brown highlights. Being risk averse I wouldn't get one for that reason but tbh I dont tend to wander away from steel/ti anyway due to my skin tone.
    I am sure you wouldn’t like this then

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ew, and no.
    it's going to take more than ketchup to clean that up.

Master
    I understand the 'Euck!' comments but I quite like that bronzo. I know it can't be worn though, the green salts would rub off, and for me a watch is all about wearing. So it's OTT in my view. A little bit of green in nocks and crannies is nice though.

I suppose the issue here is that not all bronzes are created equal. There are many different types of bronze ("bronze" is simply a term describing an alloy containing 60% or more copper, and normally between 8% and 12% tin, plus other metals). Different manufacturers favour different alloys, and these different alloys don't all age in the same way.

Anonimo started making bronze cased watches for the public back in 1997, and they have always used an "Aluminium Bronze" - the Anonimo recipe is 84% copper, 11.5% aluminium, and just a small amount of tin. Panerai on the other hand went for (and still use) CuSn8 for their first mass produced bronze watch in 2011 - this alloy is 92% copper, and 8% tin (with very small amounts of other metals too - one being Phosphor. This alloy is therefore known as "Phosphor Bronze"). These alloys are similar but have slightly different characteristics.

Over the last 15 years or so it seems that most brands have introdiced at least one bronze watch, some going the CuSn8 route, whist most others go with aluminium bronze (albeit with slightly different quantities of aluminium and tin).

My only experience with bronze waches has been two Polluce - one 10th anniversary model that I bought new and sold some years ago, and this one from 2007 that I still own. I really like it.

As for keeping bronze away from your skin - again, I think it depends on the specific alloy. I've never heard of anyone's skin going green from wearing a bronze watch, but it is worth doing some research on the specific alloy used as some aluminium bronzes contain as much as 7% nickel, and many people have an allergy to nickel.

Always liked that bronze Polluce but, like Pinion above, never liked the non-bronze crown.

That Polluce looks great, just the colour/patina I’d like. Looks like I need a watch with the right metallurgy as well as a design I enjoy, which complicates it a bit - in a good way!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Loving the Zenith Chrono. Was put off when these were originally on sale as they looked large, but I see from you pic they’re smaller than a BB58 so the hunt for one may be on. I think the aged bronze effect looks great.

Craftsman
    A quick google shows the the Zenith CP2 is 43mm-wide, 12.5 mm-thick, and ~51mm lug-to-lug distance. So the hunt’s off again.

Why does it look smaller than the BB58 in the pic, and what am I missing?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    Loving the Zenith Chrono. Was put off when these were originally on sale as they looked large, but I see from you pic they’re smaller than a BB58 so the hunt for one may be on. I think the aged bronze effect looks great.
    Hi. That’s not a BB58 - it’s a BB Bronze, which is 43mm. The Zenith wore great though, certainly not what I’d call big.

I tried a BB bronze on yesterday. The slender girl behind the counter was wearing one and it looked very chunky on her. On my 9 inch wrists it looked a very normal size, not large at all. The ridiculous thing was the ends of the leather strap only overlapped by about a centimetre, nowhere near the last hole in the strap. she seemed to think they do a larger size but I wonder how long it would take if I ordered one? On the positive side she’s been wearing it daily for over a year and it was a lovely colour, not dirty or green/brown looking. Very tempted I must admit!