closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DHL lost my watch, advice please

DHL lost my watch, advice please

Long story short. I sold a vintage Heuer ref. 13-1 on Chrono24. First sale for me on the platform.
    Package was sent from Germany to Italy. What can possibly go wrong?
    Of course the package was lost ( or stolen, who knows..).
    After a long and painful time DHL is finally willing to admit that the parcel is lost.
    Now they ask for a proof of ownership of the watch.
    (In fact Chrono24 has a unique system to check if the watch you are selling is really in your possession. They simply ask to upload pictures of the watch with given hand settings, like 8:13 for example.)
    Anyway my question would be:
    I insured the package for the full value and declared what is in it. Payed for the service and the package disappeared. I'm after the value I payed the insurance for.
    After all is it legal from the delivery company to ask for anything more? I even provided the sales reciept, which proves the watch was sold and the value is stated?
    I don't see why would they need any other proof.
    In case of a vintage watch, not sure you still have a bill after all those years. Even if you have a bill the value can be completely different from the selling price from today. So what's the point of asking for a proof of ownership?
    Is it normal because only certain type of items can be insured and if I provide the bill will they be happy? Or is it a trick to try to avoid or lower the refund they have to cough up?
    Any views are welcome.
    Thanks
    Csaba

Sent from my XQ-BQ52 using TZ-UK mobile app

I suspect a photograph of you with the watch might satisfy their need for proof. Or have you shown it on here? If so a link to the page, again, might suffice.

A

My impression was that they want a proof more from a legal aspect than a physical proof that I'm posing with the watch on my wrist. I may be wrong though. Thanks for the input anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by aamaci View Post
    I suspect a photograph of you with the watch might satisfy their need for proof. Or have you shown it on here? If so a link to the page, again, might suffice.

A

We don't have legal proof of most things we own - houses and cars not much else.

SydR
    Why dont you ask them what sort of evidence they are looting for and take it from there. No dont in supposing someone that may not be accurate.

https://mydhl.express.dhl/gb/en/ship...key-facts.html

They act as an insurance agent for a global insurer and specifically mention:

"Although DHL can arrange the insurance for you, it cannot provide you with advice as to the suitability of coverage.

In arranging Shipment Insurance DHL will require you to disclose:

(a) all relevant information relating to the content and value of the goods to enable DHL to identify your requirements; and

(b) all facts and circumstances that are material to the provision of the Shipment Insurance cover."

https://parcel.dhl.co.uk/faqs/insurance/

Refer to their CLAIMS GUIDE in ‘How do I make a Claim?”

And make sure you conformed with their insurance terms and conditions before transit

Everything you need to know should be documented in their insurance terms and conditions

Need to read all the small print. Don't assume that your insurance premium automatically covers all contingencies, especially valuation

Nobody can give an opinion without reading / digesting all the terms and conditions
    Last edited by sundial; 5th March 2023 at 21:08.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    We don't have legal proof of most things we own - houses and cars not much else.
    Pretty much my thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Why dont you ask them what sort of evidence they are looting for and take it from there. No dont in supposing someone that may not be accurate.
    Good tactics, will ask to specify what exactly is needed. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    https://mydhl.express.dhl/gb/en/ship...key-facts.html

They act as an insurance agent for a global insurer and specifically mention:

"Although DHL can arrange the insurance for you, it cannot provide you with advice as to the suitability of coverage.

In arranging Shipment Insurance DHL will require you to disclose:

(a) all relevant information relating to the content and value of the goods to enable DHL to identify your requirements; and

(b) all facts and circumstances that are material to the provision of the Shipment Insurance cover."

https://parcel.dhl.co.uk/faqs/insurance/

Refer to their CLAIMS GUIDE in ‘How do I make a Claim?”

And make sure you conformed with their insurance terms and conditions before transit

Everything you need to know should be documented in their insurance terms and conditions

Need to read all the small print. Don't assume that your insurance premium automatically covers all contingencies, especially valuation

Nobody can give an opinion without reading / digesting all the terms and conditions
    I understand but who on earth is reading small prints... I double checked that DHL is covering watches on international shippings and thought I'm good to go.
    I hoped to have somewhat more luck than having an issue on the very first sale on the platform...
    Proved wrong!
    (Before Brexit I had quite a few successful transactions between France-UK and Germany-UK without any issues.)

Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    Pretty much my thoughts.Good tactics, will ask to specify what exactly is needed. Thanks.I understand but who on earth is reading small prints...
    Thats probably the worst first step you can take. Basically admitting you did not bother to read the contract.
    If you genuinely didnt, do it now and make sure that whatever you say in your next interaction with them fits your newly acquired expertise to a t.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    I understand but who on earth is reading small prints...
    Invariably, everyone one who has a contractual issue...

It doesn't matter one iota if you don't read the small print, but what does matter is that they've written them.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Invariably, everyone one who has a contractual issue...

It doesn't matter one iota if you don't read the small print, but what does matter is that they've written them.

R
    Wise words ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Isnt it well known watch packages go missing when posted in or to Italy, I know some people on here will not post to Italy. Hope you get a good result OP

The shipment will likely be covered by Ts&Cs unique to the country of posting - I dont see the value of canvassing views on a third country forum. Probably best gen up on your particular contract and take it from there.