closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths Everest expedition 70th anniversary (and Rolex too)

Craftsman

Smiths Everest expedition 70th anniversary (and Rolex too)

2023 is the 90th anniversary of Rolex on Everest and 70th of the Explorer

https://www.rolex.com/watches/explor...ploration.html

And perhaps more importantly, the 70th anniversary of the Smiths Everest expedition

https://collection.sciencemuseumgrou...lever-movement

Don’t know if I’ve missed the planning for these watch-making momentous events on here, but this year must be the one for some special Timefactors Smiths Everest models (assuming I can beat the throng to buy one).

If Eddie does something like that, it would break the internet! Would be fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post

And perhaps more importantly, the 70th anniversary of the Smiths Everest expedition

Don’t know if I’ve missed the planning for these watch-making momentous events on here, but this year must be the one for some special Timefactors Smiths Everest models (assuming I can beat the throng to buy one).

An accurate recreation of the watch worn would be the obvious choice. Obviously the PRS-25 and PRS-25EXP are both fantastic and are tributes in their own right, but the PRS-25EXP with small seconds (no counterbalance!) and on a brown leather strap would be the answer to every "that's not really the watch that made it to the top" from both the Timefactors and Rolex camps

Also with the WWW homage in the works (hopefully soon, Eddie? ) we know that small second movements are already in consideration, so maybe something that would be easy to tie together from a logistics point of view...

Quote Originally Posted by ToeBugShuffle View Post
    Also with the WWW homage in the works (hopefully soon, Eddie? ) we know that small second movements are already in consideration, so maybe something that would be easy to tie together from a logistics point of view...
    PRS-35 and PRS-36 already have small seconds movements.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s really odd that the watch featured in the Rolex infomercial simply isn’t the one supplied to the RGS.

I wonder why…

An accurate recreation of the watch worn would be the obvious choice. Obviously the PRS-25 and PRS-25EXP are both fantastic and are tributes in their own right, but the PRS-25EXP with small seconds (no counterbalance!) and on a brown leather strap would be the answer to every "that's not really the watch that made it to the top" from both the Timefactors and Rolex camps.
    Care to enlighten us which Rolex made it to the top, and when?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Care to enlighten us which Rolex made it to the top, and when?
    The Rolex website (link in first post) claims the Rolex Oyster Perpetual was the watch used in their 1953 Everest expedition:

“The Rolex Oyster Perpetual watches, with which members of the British team were equipped, again proved their dependability on Everest,” wrote Sir John on his return. “We were delighted that they kept such accurate time. This ensured that synchronization of the time between the members of the team was maintained throughout. [...] They performed splendidly, and we have indeed come to look upon Rolex Oysters as an important part of high climbing equipment.”

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The Rolex website (link in first post) claims the Rolex Oyster Perpetual was the watch used in their 1953 Everest expedition:

“The Rolex Oyster Perpetual watches, with which members of the British team were equipped, again proved their dependability on Everest,” wrote Sir John on his return. “We were delighted that they kept such accurate time. This ensured that synchronization of the time between the members of the team was maintained throughout. [...] They performed splendidly, and we have indeed come to look upon Rolex Oysters as an important part of high climbing equipment.”
    Fun fact. Almost identical words were used in The Times before Everest was conquered and while the expedition was out of contact. So whoever wrote it, it wasn’t John Hunt, unless he wrote before he left. Rolex’s chosen figleaf that time was, “signed by”.

Can you point to any single point at which Rolex explicitly state that a Rolex was worn on the summit of Everest in 1953? Not implied, not left to the imagination, actually stated? I can assure you that you can look as hard as you like, you will not find it. The reason is there wasn’t and Rolex are fully aware of this fact.

It’s a bit embarrassing really.

I don't think there's likely to be one in the Timefactors pipeline, but a proper Hillary Smiths reissue would be pretty cool. Please don't be taken in by sly insinuation from the also-ran.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

The Rolex website (link in first post) claims the Rolex Oyster Perpetual was the watch used in the 1953 Everest expedition
    FTFY, it wasn’t Rolex’s expedition.

Have a read of this in depth research carried out by Matt.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Well I seem to have opened a can of worms there! I know the history behind the Everest expedition is a bit messy but wasn't expecting it to derail the thread by bringing it up - perhaps I should have known better

Getting back to the original discussion - a faithful reissue of the actual model worn by Hillary as an anniversary release to go with the PRS-25 and PRS-25EXP would be a great way to celebrate the event. Slight modification to the PRS-25EXP dial and a leather strap with the modified SW216-1 Eddie is already looking at would be a fine watch

100% yes!

Slight modification to the PRS-25EXP dial and a leather strap with the modified SW216-1 Eddie is already looking at would be a fine watch

Craftsman
    Today is the 70th anniversary of Smiths watches being used in the Everest climb

It’s fitting that Eddie is to create an anniversary watch, but perhaps a bit of a shame that it couldn’t have been released for sale today. Eddie, I hope there’ll be special packaging for this together with a vintage-appropriate leather strap being included to supplement the usual bracelet, as shown in the Smiths advert placed a few days after the success. At £7.10.0, I’m sure it’ll fly off the shelves. Or even at a more realistic £399. Interesting that the advert appears to show a white, or more likely cream dial.

A reminder of M4tt’s superb research into this: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...n-53-The-proof which is well worth another read, especially today.
    Last edited by YCymro; 29th May 2023 at 10:43. Reason: Typo

Craftsman
    Thought I’d pop mine on to celebrate the expedition reaching the summit!

Last edited by YCymro; 29th May 2023 at 10:39.