closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How good is the ETA C07?

Master

How good is the ETA C07?

Based closely on the venerable 2824 the C07 provides 80 hours power reserve, good accuracy and is in a spread of watches already from the Tissot seastar (called the powermatic 80) and the Rado captain Cook. I just picked up a bronze captain Cook this week and I'm impressed. It seems to be running at a steady +3spd on or off the wrist. I have always been impressed by ETA 2824 movements and selita sw200, so hopefully this C07 will not disappoint. New materials, new spring barrel, new manufacturing techniques giving tightened tolerances and a more efficient drive train have allowed it to be slowed to 6bps beat rate with no loss of accuracy and help it achieve the 80 hours reserve. I assume the lower beat will also reduce wear and extend service intervals but only time will tell. The more noticeable tick is not too bad and I'm getting used to that.

So what do you guys think?

I’ve not owned one but I seem to remember there’s an issue with regulation not being adjustable on them. I would prefer the higher beat rate and serviceability of a 2824 but not to the degree I would be put off a watch with the powermatic movement

Craftsman
    Have a Certina ds8 with the 80h movement, the power reserve stays up there but accuracy is all over the place. I only wear it a few weeks a year and it was about half price in the Hour Passion outlet in Kildare so cant really complain.

I'm also not sure I wear automatics enough during the day to keep up the reserve as I also have a Longines with ETA 2895 which will stop after 3 to 4 days.

I'm thinking about nice manuals now for the next purchase.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

Master
    Not adjustable? Ooo-eerr, that sounds strange.

I'm not sure how they are to get serviced. I'd assume if it's ETA and 2824 based that any watch maker could give it a clean and if they can get the parts then they can keep it running. Big if. If ETA instead do a service by replacement, well I imagine the movement is not costly

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I’ve not owned one but I seem to remember there’s an issue with regulation not being adjustable on them. I would prefer the higher beat rate and serviceability of a 2824 but not to the degree I would be put off a watch with the powermatic movement
    Definitely adjustable. It's a free sprung balance, there are two screws on the balance wheel that allow for rate adjustment.
    On the 23 jewel movements pallet fork (no pallet stones either, hence two less jewels) and escape wheel are made out of fancy plastic, 25 jewel ones have a regular pallet fork and escape wheel. The Si version has a silicon hairspring.

Master
    The Rado version, the R763, has 25 jewels and a 'Nivachron' anti-magnetic hairspring. Dunno if that's their own proprietary name for a silicon hairspring or what.

Craftsman
    Nivachron is a metal alloy, the silicon ones have a little round plaque with "Si" on the balance cock.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    The Rado version, the R763, has 25 jewels and a 'Nivachron' anti-magnetic hairspring. Dunno if that's their own proprietary name for a silicon hairspring or what.
    That’s the registered trademark for the alloy, I think. Nothing to do with Rado.

Master
    Ahhhh I see, thanks.

Apologies, I stand corrected. Having done some more reading in light of above posts, it is definitely adjustable. Perhaps a little more delicate / nuanced but I’m sure any watchmaker could sort that.