closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Hire Majorca

Car Hire Majorca

Does anyone on here have any recommendations for car hire in Majorca? I’ve never been before and the hotel that we’ve booked looks a tad bit remote so I’m thinking a hire car may be the best bet for the duration.

Any good companies/ things to watch out for? I’m used to hiring cars in the US but never hired one in Europe.

There seem to be a fair few smaller businesses as well as the bigger names. Any advice on a good company to use would be great.

Avoid Avis like the plague.

Its taken me months to claim back around £400 of false charges - finally saved by the metadata on my photos that I took prior to collecting the car.

Used Hertz on Island for 25+ years superb service highly recommend.

desk in arrivals and one in multi story opposite.

A £20 excess policy is a worthwhile investment.

Car Hire Majorca

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    A £20 excess policy is a worthwhile investment.
    Yes, I’ll second that. I experienced it in Southern France of all places (so there wasn’t an iota of possible misunderstanding). They first tried to force me into buying their insurance (and Mrs SJ was instrumental in getting me to refuse, I probably would have caved in without her) then we had a break on the windscreen when we returned the car (an initial stone impact under the wiper that was not visible, and a crack developed in the sun/heat).
    The Car hire company was Sixt and the insurance was AIG, purchased from insurance4carhire.com.
    It paid without a fuss the £651.05 that Sixt charged.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 23rd February 2023 at 18:01.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Just had a look on the hertz app and a week with their “Supercover” is £138 for a seat Leon or equivalent. Think that will do, cheers for the steer.

Bear in mind the hire companies sold a lot of cars during the pandemic and have been unable to replace them, so bargains are thin on the ground.

I've hired a good few cars in Mallorca and Enterprise was probably the best. They were certainly the nicest. If you want to pick up from the airport, the prices are broadly similar. If you don't mind a 10-15 minute bus ride, then you can save a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny778 View Post
    Just had a look on the hertz app and a week with their “Supercover” is £138 for a seat Leon or equivalent. Think that will do, cheers for the steer.
    I would double check that price, their supercover alone would cost that much for a week.

I used to work for Hertz and I've never heard of them including supercover in any deal, it's been a while but I'm pretty sure it wasn't allowed for some legal reason and only allowed to be sold at the desk.

Thing's might of changed but I'd be very surprised if a full week in a Leon without any excess would be so cheap, even without the extra cover that would be very cheap for a mid size car.

Sent from a technical device.

Depending on where you are going you might be able to use the very cheap and pretty comprehensive bus network - the services fairly frequent, but if you are really remote you might need a taxi for the last leg. I only know this as car hire prices post-pandemic caused me to look at options for our trip last October. As we were in a reasonable sized town (Soller), with tricky parking, not having a car was a really good outcome. The website to look at for this is tib.org. I didn’t miss the car hire damage paranoia at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I would double check that price, their supercover alone would cost that much for a week.

I used to work for Hertz and I've never heard of them including supercover in any deal, it's been a while but I'm pretty sure it wasn't allowed for some legal reason and only allowed to be sold at the desk.

Thing's might of changed but I'd be very surprised if a full week in a Leon without any excess would be so cheap, even without the extra cover that would be very cheap for a mid size car.

Sent from a technical device.
    Well, I’ve just had an email cancelling my booking due to a pricing error on the Hertz app. Seems you were right about it being too cheap. Same car is now nearly £400. Back to the drawing board.

I’ve booked a hotel which is very remote and I’m now regretting it. I’m staying in Cala Mesquida so I’m guessing we either enjoy the isolation or stump up for the car. No buses to where we’re staying unfortunately.

I tend to use the broker RentalCars. They have an app and website.

Used them all over Europe including Spain and Italy and never had an issue and usually get a good car and price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like there is a bus per hour in the summer (April to October) to Cala Mesquida from Cala Rajada (424 bus, takes 15 mins). No idea if that helps, and of course the car is great if you are travelling a lot. Pre-Covid hire cars were so cheap...

Craftsman
    I went to Mallorca for first time with wife and two kids last summer. Car hire was astronomical and as others have said I have used Rentalcars.com in past and went with them. However closer to the time I looked again and saw prices had fallen a bit elsewhere, plus there were quite a few dodgy reviews of some of Rentalcars business practices that made me nervy.

I eventually found Vanrell Car Rental. The car was in good shape, very clean and the whole process extremely slick. I would highly recommend - they were great to deal with, no hidden charges, and I got full deposit back very quickly after rental was complete.

Enjoy your holiday!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    I used Terry's autos a few years ago they were great

Master
    Sorry it was Terry's car hire

Just booked with Record Go. They seem to have ok reviews and are based in the terminal. More importantly, they offered an all inclusive package with zero excess and no preauthorisation hold on the card. It cost €230 for 6 days so not the cheapest but not the most expensive either.

If you do decide to use Hertz, sign up for the free Gold Plus Rewards program, it allows you to use the priority queue at the desk and gives you 10% discount, plus a free partner or spouse as a second driver.

https://www.hertz.co.uk/p/gold-plus-rewards-overview

Craftsman
    Whenever renting a car I’ve always used Expedia and when leaving the attendant has always said there is no way of trying to charge for more cover. They also know you’re a UK driver etc etc.