closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRS-25 Honeycomb

PRS-25 Honeycomb

So we're getting honeycomb dial PRS-25s next week!

https://www.timefactors.com/collecti...s-25-honeycomb

What does everyone think? Keep thinking I like the old radium lume until I look at my Everest with the usual shade
    Honeycomb adds a lovely texture to the dial though.

Overall I think it looks to be a great watch, would be difficult to decide between that and the regular Everest if I was starting from scratch but not sure I can justify owning both

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeBugShuffle View Post
    So we're getting honeycomb dial PRS-25s next week!

https://www.timefactors.com/collecti...s-25-honeycomb

What does everyone think? Keep thinking I like the old radium lume until I look at my Everest with the usual shade
    Honeycomb adds a lovely texture to the dial though.

Overall I think it looks to be a great watch, would be difficult to decide between that and the regular Everest if I was starting from scratch but not sure I can justify owning both
    I like the old radium lume. I do have a gilt dial version which is really nice but now I'm not sure!

Best looking Everest yet in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I like the old radium lume. I do have a gilt dial version which is really nice but now I'm not sure!
    I also like the old radium lume! Like I said if I was buying my first Everest I would struggle between the two, but don't think there's enough difference between the two models to pick both up so not sure I'd buy this due to me already having one of the other models - if that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Best looking Everest yet in my opinion!
    I have to agree. Textured dials are so in at the moment.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Have to say that’s bloody lovely.

Very nice indeed! I’ve been watching this one with interest. Sadly I don’t seem to have the knack when it comes to the shop.

But, as they say, gotta be in it to win it.

Oh my word!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Wow good pictures, looking shaarp!

Journeyman
    I think these are great, but I wish that the 25 used syringe hands (like the 25Exp) instead of Rolex hands. I think the 25 is a desirable watch and doesn't need to Homage Rolex so obviously (this statement goes for the Commander too - use maybe thicker syringe hands for the Commander?).

Nice timepiece

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

I disagree. The Mercedes hands work better on these 25 models. They aren't Rolex hands, Rolex just use them on some models. Personally I wouldn't have bought any of the 25 models I've owned had they had syringe hands. Horses for courses.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post
    I think these are great, but I wish that the 25 used syringe hands (like the 25Exp) instead of Rolex hands. I think the 25 is a desirable watch and doesn't need to Homage Rolex so obviously (this statement goes for the Commander too - use maybe thicker syringe hands for the Commander?).

Is this the thread to say, it's not honeycomb? Honeycomb is hexagonal!

I might have a got at getting one of these - it's a very handsome watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I disagree. The Mercedes hands work better on these 25 models. They aren't Rolex hands, Rolex just use them on some models. Personally I wouldn't have bought any of the 25 models I've owned had they had syringe hands. Horses for courses.
    They are Rolex hands: https://theslenderwrist.com/types-of-watch-hands/

Occasionally, other brands may use them like Citizen, but everyone knows them as "Rolex hands". Any time a microbrand uses a design that is so iconic to a famous brand, especially the MOST FAMOUS brand, it's going to be looked upon unfavourably to some degree. Even if you don't use syringe hands, just use different hands. Look at Tudors for example, they look almost identical to Rolexes but just by using their own signature hands, they have their own identity.

Take for example the Commander. If the Commander had different hands, I would call each component design of the watch to be "inspired"; but the Rolex hands right now I think of as "copied". Plus, Smiths historically has never used Rolex hands. Why not use the PRS-29 hands? They're gorgeous!

Actually I’ve never heard them referred to as Rolex hands, only Mercedes hands so “everyone” doesn’t know them as such.

The narrative and tone of your message suggests you’re a devotee of the Rolex cult so I won’t bother arguing further as it’ll be entirely futile.

Grizzlymambo….meet Mick P. You’re MFEO.

They are Rolex hands: https://theslenderwrist.com/types-of-watch-hands/

Occasionally, other brands may use them like Citizen, but everyone knows them as "Rolex hands". Any time a microbrand uses a design that is so iconic to a famous brand, especially the MOST FAMOUS brand, it's going to be looked upon unfavourably to some degree. Even if you don't use syringe hands, just use different hands. Look at Tudors for example, they look almost identical to Rolexes but just by using their own signature hands, they have their own identity.

Take for example the Commander. If the Commander had different hands, I would call each component design of the watch to be "inspired"; but the Rolex hands right now I think of as "copied". Plus, Smiths historically has never used Rolex hands. Why not use the PRS-29 hands? They're gorgeous!

I have never heard of a Mercedes Hand Set being called a “Rolex Hand Set”
    Rolex use them but the accepted term is Mercedes not Rolex. IMO
    Other watches used this hand set before Rolex and have subsequently. Rolex do not use them on every model either.
    The link shared actually debunks this claim
    I also note the example used for Plongeur hands is incorrect when compared to what are generally considered to be Plongeur hands.

This watch is a Rolex explorer homage
    If it were to have different hands it would not be a homage to the explorer.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 28th February 2023 at 19:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Actually I’ve never heard them referred to as Rolex hands, only Mercedes hands...
    Same here. I've only ever called them 'Mercedes hands'.

How mad would it be for them to be called 'Rolex hands' when the longest running, biggest selling and arguably most iconic Rolex model (the Datejust) doesn't even have them?!

Rolex only use them for sport models and plenty of other marques have also used them, some before Rolex did, as has been pointed out.

Journeyman
    sorry, what I meant was that people associate them with Rolex, not that they are literally called "Rolex hands". I know they are referred to as "mercedes hands". If you want evidence that everyone associates them with Rolex, it is simply that every major brand has abandoned using them. For example: Tag Heuer used them extensively throughout the 80s and 90s and now none of their models have them. The same with every other major brand, I can't think of one with them. Even Tudor doesn't have them any more.

What watches had mercedes hands before the Explorer (which I believe is the first Rolex to have them)? Thanks.
    Last edited by grizzlymambo; 28th February 2023 at 22:47.

The early bubble back Rolex are often seen with Mercedes hands, these predate the explorer by decades.

To add to the original point that raised this debate:

Good or bad, a lot of the interest in the Everest from people not 'in the know' about time factors comes from it being the best 1016 alternative on the market (not just in design and build quality, but people really like the shared heritage with the smiths name too)

There is the PRS-47 for people who want an Everest with baton hands. The fact it's the Everest and not the Commando that continuously gets updates and alternative models from Eddie tells me that's where the money is, so the Mercedes hands obviously make a positive impact in terms of sales

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Oh my word!

R
    Is that your watch (as opposed to artistic renders)? Nice photos, and I like the look of that more than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    Is that your watch (as opposed to artistic renders)? Nice photos, and I like the look of that more than I expected.
    I think they are photos of the real watch.

It's very pretty, as are the increasing number of other variants. However, much like the fabled 1016, you can't beat the simplicity of the original . . .

IMHO. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It's very pretty, as are the increasing number of other variants. However, much like the fabled 1016, you can't beat the simplicity of the original . . .

IMHO. ;-)
    I agree! The PRS-25 has lots of variations that would be hard to choose between if I was looking for my first Everest, but having the normal one (with crown logo and black text Everest) I think I have the best of the lot

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I think they are photos of the real watch.
    Thanks. Almost makes me want to join the bun fight to get one on Sunday

Craftsman

IMHO. ;-)
    Agreed! And I’m fuming to have missed one on SC this past week, at a very reasonable £210.

Apprentice
    The honeycomb looks gorgeous. Not sure I need another small field watch but it's tempting -- luckily I doubt the store would let me buy one even if my willpower cracks!

Good Lord no, they're from the Timefactors website (I'm crap at photographing watches).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Good Lord no, they're from the Timefactors website (I'm crap at photographing watches).

R
    Appreciate your honesty

Quote Originally Posted by eciton View Post
    The honeycomb looks gorgeous. Not sure I need another small field watch but it's tempting -- luckily I doubt the store would let me buy one even if my willpower cracks!
    "Not sure I need another small field watch" - what is this foreign language you speak?

Always room for another - especially if they're small ;)

Appreciate your honesty
    @joey_c00l on instagram took them - is apparently from Sheffield and has lots of good smiths watches on his feed, looks like Eddie reached out to get some good photos for the launch. Worth a follow - not just timefactors pieces but plenty of them and the rest of his collection is nice too!

Apprentice
    "Not sure I need another small field watch" - what is this foreign language you speak?

Always room for another - especially if they're small ;)
    You make a compelling argument!

Craftsman
    @joey_c00l on instagram took them - is apparently from Sheffield and has lots of good smiths watches on his feed, looks like Eddie reached out to get some good photos for the launch. Worth a follow - not just timefactors pieces but plenty of them and the rest of his collection is nice too!
    Thanks for that. Joey takes a nice photo

Quote Originally Posted by eciton View Post
    You make a compelling argument!
    If only the Mrs agreed with me!

I agree! The PRS-25 has lots of variations that would be hard to choose between if I was looking for my first Everest, but having the normal one (with crown logo and black text Everest) I think I have the best of the lot
    The titty/duck crown logo is very nice, but it's not the original.
    F.T.F.A.

That's a cracking watch.

The titty/duck crown logo is very nice, but it's not the original.
    Didn't say original! Would love one of them - I meant normal as in not honeycomb/white dial/gilt/jubilee, then specified which version of the 'normal model' I had :)

Journeyman
    There is the PRS-47 for people who want an Everest with baton hands. The fact it's the Everest and not the Commando that continuously gets updates and alternative models from Eddie tells me that's where the money is, so the Mercedes hands obviously make a positive impact in terms of sales
    I think the PRS-47 is much better looking than the black Everest, but that "Commando" text is a bit much. I associate that look with "Everest" or "Antarctica", not "Commando". Or how about "Arctic", since the PRS-25Exp is associated with "Antarctic".

But my regret is mainly with the "Commander" - I really like that watch, it's very smart looking. I like it so much, I wish it had more of its own identity. With the PRS-25 line, there is the PRS-25Exp which is the more authentic design for those who value that sort of thing (like me), but with the Commander line, it only has the homage angle going for it and I think it deserves more than just being an homage. I know it has quite a few different design elements, but those hands are too closely associated with Rolex in my mind.

Master
    I think the PRS-47 is much better looking than the black Everest, but that "Commando" text is a bit much. I associate that look with "Everest" or "Antarctica", not "Commando". Or how about "Arctic", since the PRS-25Exp is associated with "Antarctic".
    You are aware that it's a homage to the Rolex Commando?

Blog Entries

R
    Lulzz.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Good luck to those going for the honeycomb. Expect it to sell very quickly so have your accounts/payment methods ready.

Lasted 1 minute and 15 seconds. Congratulations for those who scored one!

Friggin online security checks really don't help when trying to buy one of these, by the time i got the code via text message it had sold out, had it in the basket within seconds as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Friggin online security checks really don't help when trying to buy one of these, by the time i got the code via text message it had sold out, had it in the basket within seconds as well...
    I'm sorry to hear that. I find those additional security checks always put people at a disadvantage when it comes to microbrand watch drops. I'm sure you will have another opportunity in a few weeks to land the honey.

page temporarily unavailable at 14:00

Apprentice
    Yup,
    Was sitting there refreshing the page and got one in my cart.
    By the time the checkout page loaded it was out of stock and removed from my cart :(

Well if anyone doesn't like theirs I'll take it off your hands. Needing it as a gift for my father 😂

Got one in basket, entered payment details and got a card number not recognised error. Must have been because I pasted the number directly from the Monzo App. By the time I manually entered the number it was sold out. Oh well, it is only a watch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Got one in basket, entered payment details and got a card number not recognised error. Must have been because I pasted the number directly from the Monzo App. By the time I manually entered the number it was sold out. Oh well, it is only a watch!!
    Very true it’s only a watch.

What’s the betting for the first one to appear on eBay then???

I’m going Tuesday morning before noon haha…

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrix View Post
    Yup,
    Was sitting there refreshing the page and got one in my cart.
    By the time the checkout page loaded it was out of stock and removed from my cart :(

Well if anyone doesn't like theirs I'll take it off your hands. Needing it as a gift for my father 😂
    Same here. Was checking out within about 60 seconds and it was already gone. I hope that they went to people that really wanted them and not to flippers who commoditize everything to make a quick buck. Time will tell.
    Keep me in mind if you are an enthusiast who decides they don’t want the watch, and is looking to pass it on to another Timefactors enthusiast. I have several of Eddie’s watches and I’m looking forward to adding another.
    Brian