closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: River cruises in Europe

Craftsman

River cruises in Europe

My wife has expressed an interest in taking a cruise. With zero knowledge I’d be interested in any first hand advice from TZ river cruisers. The good, the bad, and anything else worth knowing. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Brilliant value for money, as usual Youtube is your friend.

Blog Entries
    Outside Europe - I can highly recommend a Nile cruise - with a tour guide from the ship. The highlight for me was a dawn balloon flight - magical. (Ignore Cairo as it was a long trip over and very busy). Better to visit the sites before 10am after that it’s too hot.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd February 2023 at 19:09.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Susan Calmans done a few recently, check her out on C5 catch-up. Think she was in Germany

Rick Stein cruised French Canals a few years ago. Looked very nice. https://www.french-waterways.com/ins...stein-odyssey/

Master
    Went with Riviera in December for Germany Christmas markets.

Food was good and good service. Very nice rooms.

https://www.rivieratravel.co.uk/rive...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Check out Emma Cruises on YT.

She has some good videos on river cruises.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Check out Emma Cruises on YT.

She has some good videos on river cruises.

M

That young lady is quite entertaining and informative but bloody hell, I don’t know how she manages to talk for 10 or 15 minutes without pausing to draw breath!

Lots of editing.

M

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Norwegian Fjords are spectacular on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Have done a few. Always went with Riviera Travel and found them to be excellent for service. Boats were immaculate and the food was always excellent as well. Really easy to put on weight unless you’re careful. I’m not!
    I think the nicest was on the Rhine, but then I’m biased as I like Germany and some of the towns on the Rhine are lovely.
    We enjoyed seeing the scenery as you journey along as well.
    I’d recommend getting the nicest cabin you can, normally the ones on the top deck and only a few available. We thought it was worth it for the extra space, balcony etc.
    Would definitely travel with them again. And we used Eurostar instead of flying.
    We had to cancel one cruise with Riviera in the early days of Covid, and they refunded us with no quibbles at all. Was impressed with that.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post

I checked their cruises in the 'Low Countries'. Those are only interesting when the bulbs flower. Let's say April first half of May. After that, it's simply flat with hardly any colour, or later: meadows and cows. Sort of Norfolk Broads. A lot of logistics here is happening by river. There's a lot of (small scale) industry close to the rivers and canals, thus blocking the view of the land from the river. Most interesting town named in the trips is Bruges.

I love my country and I like it when people come over to have a look. But these cruises are not the best way to explore it.

My parents loved river cruises. And that's exactly what puts off a lot of Continental people: a large part of the passengers of river cruises are pensioners. Check that before you book. Mind you, I'm talking about Dutch shipping companies.
    Last edited by thieuster; 22nd February 2023 at 23:59.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I checked their cruises in the 'Low Countries'. Those are only interesting when the bulbs flower. Let's say April first half of May. After that, it's simply flat with hardly any colour, or later: meadows and cows. Sort of Norfolk Broads. A lot of logistics here is happening by river. There's a lot of (small scale) industry close to the rivers and canals, thus blocking the view of the land from the river. Most interesting town named in the trips is Bruges.

I love my country and I like it when people come over to have a look. But these cruises are not the best way to explore it.

My parents loved river cruises. And that's exactly what puts off a lot of Continental people: a large part of the passengers of river cruises are pensioners. Check that before you book. Mind you, I'm talking about Dutch shipping companies.
    Would agree with most of that. Went on a ‘bulb fields’ cruise and most of the scenery was pretty industrial apart from said fields of flowers.
    Amsterdam was nice though.
    It’s a pretty relaxing kind of holiday so yes you do get some older people on them. Although Riviera usually have guided walking tours at each stop and these are very good, usually local people doing them. You learn a lot more about the towns that way. Usually then have a few hours to wander around on your own.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post

You didn't happen to be on the same trip as me were you (13th Dec from Koln)?

That was our first (having done 3 big cruise ships previously), booked again for this October (Avignon > Lyons - so a bit warmer than the Rhine in December, Snow the evening we set off was nice though).

Riviera look well organised and everything was pretty seamless so a recommendation for them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCansell View Post

That was our first (having done 3 big cruise ships previously), booked again for this October (Avignon > Lyons - so a bit warmer than the Rhine in December, Snow the evening we set off was nice though).

Riviera look well organised and everything was pretty seamless so a recommendation for them.
    The Avignon - Lyons was the one we had cancelled because of the Covids, be interested to know how you rate it. I'm sure the Riviera service will be good, interested in the stops and places.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Outside Europe - I can highly recommend a Nile cruise - with a tour guide from the ship. The highlight for me was a dawn balloon flight - magical. (Ignore Cairo as it was a long trip over and very busy). Better to visit the sites before 10am after that it’s too hot.
    That's something I have always fancied as I would love the historical part.

The only things putting me off are the security aspect and the fact that you are constantly hassled by hawkers in North Africa.

What were your impressions on the above?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Friends of us are on a Nile cruise this week. 2 grown-ups and Including a 12 y/o. I can ask about their experiences when they’ve returned. Somewhere next week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCansell View Post

14th from Bonn. Probably passed each other somewhere along the Rhine. Visited Bonn, Koblenz, Rüdesheim and Koln

Friends of us are on a Nile cruise this week. 2 grown-ups and Including a 12 y/o. I can ask about their experiences when they’ve returned. Somewhere next week.
    Thanks Menno.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

River cruises in Europe

Many thanks for all helpful comments. Now have a very nice hard copy brochure from Riviera to look though.

Ref. Nile cruise - did that several years ago inc. the ballon ride. Highly recommended. You can get a bit naffed off with early cold starts for the temples before the burning sun rises.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by ALindsay; 27th February 2023 at 18:24.

Master
    They will suffer from Temple fatigue. You have to do it once but that is enough.

Blog Entries

My wife had WhatsApp contact with her friend who’s in Egypt with her husband and son. The Nile cruise is a great success; in fact they booked a second week ‘on the spot’ for another part of the Nile.

Isn't Europe suffering from low river water levels due to recent drought conditions? I thought I saw a report on CNN that both freight and passenger boat routes were affected.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...energy-output/

Rhine River 3Q2022:

Blog Entries
    True, but things are pretty normal now on the NW side of the Alps.
    On the other side (Italy), things are different… google ‘Venice, Italy’ for sad pics of the current situation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Isn't Europe suffering from low river water levels due to recent drought conditions? I thought I saw a report on CNN that both freight and passenger boat routes were affected.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...energy-output/
    No it was fine in December

Hire your own boat and do the Caledonian Canal. If the weather is good the scenery is unbeatable anywhere.

I was really keen on these until I watched a few videos. General consensus was they weren't really cruising, more like a glorified coach trip!
    They do look good though.