closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a mattress

Craftsman

Choosing a mattress

Looking for some advice please on choosing a new mattress. I need a new bed and started the search today at a local independent. I was shown a range of mattresses from Natures Choice and Harrison Spinks. The salesman was trying to steer me towards the Natures Choice and whilst it did feel marginally more comfortable it was also more expensive !

On returning home I tried to Google the named mattresses but unsuccessfully - I'm assuming the manufacturers do this intentionally to prevent price comparison and make the model named only for each retailer ??
    I'm more than happy to spend my money with the independent store but similarly wish to reassure myself I'm getting vfm and not wildly overpaying.
    Can anyone here offer advice please on selecting a mattress or brands to try. Ideally I'd rather not spend endless hours trudging around furniture stores

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

We sleep on a £2k Vi-spring.

The £280 silentnight we bought in Argos and have on our spare bed is just as comfortable.

Remarkable value for such a cheap mattress and read the 5 star reviews.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5541887?gbraid=0AAAAAD9II9n_rw0eqXwnKFzCLJPnNI_Qk& istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=c290d9a9-b5d6-423c-841d-2a559621874c&istItemId=ixwliwixx&istBid=t&&cmpid=G S001&_$ja=tsid:59157%7Cacid:844-913-7556%7Ccid:16779432608%7Cagid:133077902577%7Ctid:p la-886037585223%7Ccrid:591039237510%7Cnw:u%7Crnd:1246 8545139865450638%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:%7Cmt:%7Cloc:100715 6&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=16 779432608&utm_term=5541887&utm_content=shopping&ut m_custom1=133077902577&utm_custom2=844-913-7556&GPDP=true&gbraid=0AAAAAD9II9n_rw0eqXwnKFzCLJP nNI_Qk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgtzrss6p_QIVS-rtCh0kMgOfEAQYASABEgJrl_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I always go with premier Inn or Marriott mattress , logic being if they last in a hotel setting then they must be good

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    I subscribe to Which and they reckon the mattress sold by Ikea is by far the best and it sells at a low price.

Master
    We have a Relyon mattress. They are made in Somerset. It is now 24 years old and it cost over a grand when we bought it in 1999. It is still the most comfortable mattress we have ever laid upon, don't care if it's full of mites it is amazing to sleep on lol.

Choosing a mattress

Whatever mattress you get, get a good mattress topper.

A £100 investment in a mattress topper on top of our Vi-spring was a complete game changer for us.

Our bed went from comfortable to luxury hotel comfortable.

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis...opper/p1519431

Very happy with our John Ryan By Design.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

A £100 investment in a mattress topper on top of our Vi-spring was a complete game changer for us.

Agreed
    We did similar before Xmas with a memory foam topper. (From a company called panda I think)

It’s a shame to get up in the morning now!

Craftsman
    We have an IGel advance. Really comfortable but pricey.
    https://www.bensonsforbeds.co.uk/pro...?sku=STK794107

This one, that was the price when we bought it but they knocked off £250 after a bit of haggling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    I always go with premier Inn or Marriott mattress , logic being if they last in a hotel setting then they must be good

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    I spent 3 nights a week for a few months in a premiere inn (had the choice of any country manor style hotel, but these rooms had air con!)

That mattress was the best thing I’ve slept on in years. Our main and second rooms now have those mattresses on them.

The others have inflatable ones, as kids sleep on them once every few months and was daft Jan not having an office and dressing room vs spare bedrooms.

Craftsman

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis...opper/p1519431
    Agree, we bought topper for ours

Master
    Tempur Cloud for me

Super soft, but a bit warmer than conventional sprung. I have their pillow too and it’s great

Mattresses are such a personal choice, after having a tempur mattresses for years I wouldn't have anything else but i realise they're not for everyone. Some people find them too hard and too hot even in cooler months and a lot of people hate them and send them back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Mattresses are such a personal choice, after having a tempur mattresses for years I wouldn't have anything else but i realise they're not for everyone. Some people find them too hard and too hot even in cooler months and a lot of people hate them and send them back.
    I really wanted one, I loved their pillows. Exactly as you say, found it far too hot as per every memory foam style one.

If you want a hotel one, you have to spend a night there & trust they are the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Another vote for Tempur.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I saw a chiropractor earlier today and he asked what mattress I slept on. When I replied we have an Emma mattress he was full of praise for them - which must be some kind of recommendation!

Master

Choosing a mattress

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I spent 3 nights a week for a few months in a premiere inn (had the choice of any country manor style hotel, but these rooms had air con!)

That mattress was the best thing I’ve slept on in years. Our main and second rooms now have those mattresses on them.

The others have inflatable ones, as kids sleep on them once every few months and was daft Jan not having an office and dressing room vs spare bedrooms.
    Did you remember your 12 inch plate ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Did you remember your 12 inch plate ;)
    You've lost me there, always used to get a taxi to good restaurants on expenses.

The food there was 100% chef mic!

Any direct sale manufactures that offer returns?

Some companies are direct sales with 60 - 100 day returns (buy a protector). Clean they take back. Soiled they don't.

Memory foam types are lightweight and easy to ship

Simba, Emma or Brooke + Wilde are similar to Casper which no longer sells in Europe (read on web site)

Problem with asking is your going get everybody elses view on whats best for them. You need to get whats best for you.

Spring weigh a ton. Foam weigh nothing and Casper shipped rolled up in a box

Maybe this will help

https://www.whatmattress.uk/mattress-reviews/

one of either biggest mistakes i made or the best outcome of a wrong decision depends on your point of view , i bought a Tempur we tested it at the shop ( even did the overhead camera thing) i was dithering between a orange and blue i forget but one was soft and one was medium firm, we went with medium firm , big £1600 mistake i cant sleep on it and i mean you sleep on it not in it!
    long story short i bought a dormeo octaspring for the spare bedroom £399 lovely and soft with option to change soft firm in top/ mid/ bottom positions
    i now sleep on this and the wife sleeps on the tempur in the main bedroom ! like i said best outcome !!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You've lost me there, always used to get a taxi to good restaurants on expenses.

The food there was 100% chef mic!
    AH HAAAA…Alan Partridge.

I looked extensively into mattresses and beds a year ago. There are of course some eye wateringly expensive options out there promising the earth in terms of comfort etc. All bought sight unseen of course. Hmmm. I'd seen good reviews of Ikea mattresses, so I sacrificed a couple of hours to visit their Gateshead branch at Metro Centre. They have them all on display to try for as long as you like. I bought a Hyllestad medium/firm and a Malm bed frame. My back ache disappeared overnight. A year later I still sleep deeply. Total cost for bed frame and mattress @ £530.
    F.T.F.A.

Wool mattress for us. Lovely and comfortable, 100% natural and doesn't bleat in the night.

https://www.thewoolroom.com/wool-bed...ol-mattresses/

We have the duvets and pillows as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    +1 for Tempur. Had one 12 years and still the most comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Wool mattress for us. Lovely and comfortable, 100% natural and doesn't bleat in the night.

Yup, wool for us as well. One thing you’ll need to get right is the firmness, don’t go with what you think is right go with what’s right for you.
    I thought I need a firm mattress but I’m 14+stone so Med is actually firm enough for me but my missus likes a softer bed but at just under 12st a Med was again soft enough for her so that’s what we went for.
    Natural wool filling was definitely something we wanted too as it’s cool in the summer and warm in the winter, a win win.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

We are looking for a new super king and those look great

Which one did you go for?

Master
    We recently went through this. having done a bit of a search on here, I initially thought a memory foam such as the Simba or Emma with their 100/200 day returns policy, but decided it would be best to physically try this type of mattress. We visited a couple of the usual suspects and a local independent retailer and immediately discounted the memory foam as Mr Beanie really didn't like how they felt. Next was a gel/sprung hybrid mattress and we thought we had a winner initially with a Healthbeds Bari but on revisiting it were a less convinced. More gel hybrids were tried, but as a left field suggestion we tried a more conventional mattress and ended up with a Staples Artisan and had a winner. Interestingly, although a medium firmness was our choice with the hybrids, we went for the firm Staples as it just felt right.
    I know it's a drag, but there is no substitute for trying before you buy.

Master
    I have a Harrison Spinks Snowdrop mattress. I think it’s great and would have another, I had gone out for one from mammoth which I had previously but the ex took that and found this far more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    We have Tempur mattresses from the Dutch brand M-Line. I don't know if they're for sale in the UK. Back in 2004, we bought our first set; the mattresses come in different set-ups for weight and comfort. We slept 10 yrs on the them and replaced them in 2014. Coincidentally, we went to the store last week to order new ones; they're on sale here and there's significant price rise on the horizon.

You could say that we don't even consider anything else than tempur. Having said that, it's very hard to give advise. Our youngest sleeps on a Hästens bed. Extremely expensive but he has worked and saved for that bed and we chipped in the money for a 'normal' bed. In short: it's advertised as the best-of-the-best. I hate it.

And don't forget Emma and Ikea!

Craftsman
    Are waterbeds still available as I remember hearing positive things about them albeit years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks to everyone for their input. It seems like I'm going to have to try out plenty of beds. I expect I'll probably end up back with the first shop !!

We used to have an Ikea pocket sprung with integrated topper that was good for a decade, then last year (and I'm surprised no one has mentioned them thus far) we went with an Emma Premium Hybrid which so far has been excellent both summer and winter which is a far cry from previous majority-foam mattresses I have tried. Obviously wait until they run a deal on them, we got a super king for £560. With that being said, my budget was considerably more limited but I have not been disappointed with either, and I'm a big lad at 6'5" and 19st.

Hypnos Wool Pocket Spring Mattress.

Tried a Tempur memory foam and disposed of it after a year. It was awful and so hot to sleep on.

Craftsman
    We've got a Dreams pocket sprung one in Super King on our bed - really comfortable! Bought 4 years back and doing great. We had the same in a smaller size which my daughter now uses. That one is over 10 years old and going strong. They were expensive but totally worth it.

Re Ikea, when we looked last (a while back!), they didn't sell UK sizes - only EU sizes. No problem if you're buying both bed and mattress from them but worth checking sizing if you're not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    We used to have an Ikea pocket sprung with integrated topper that was good for a decade, then last year (and I'm surprised no one has mentioned them thus far) we went with an Emma Premium Hybrid which so far has been excellent both summer and winter which is a far cry from previous majority-foam mattresses I have tried. Obviously wait until they run a deal on them, we got a super king for £560. With that being said, my budget was considerably more limited but I have not been disappointed with either, and I'm a big lad at 6'5" and 19st.
    Yep…. My Emma mattress is spot on…. You can pay by divide buy if you want to spread the cost too…. We’ve slept brilliantly on it!

You have a ‘No quibble’ return policy if it’s not for you…. So, no risk really

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    we went with an Emma Premium Hybrid which so far has been excellent both summer and winter which is a far cry from previous majority-foam mattresses I have tried.
    That's interesting as like the concept, but the last foam gel supposedly breathable mattress I bought about 6 years ago went back within days as felt like I was being broiled in my own juices, went back to pocket sprung!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    MrsV has the premier inn mattress by Hypnos. It's very good.

I swear by Tempur though.

Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post
    We are looking for a new super king and those look great

Which one did you go for?
    I think it was the Beulah and one of their toppers. Been sleeping on it for about 3 months and no complaints from either of us.

I always preferred firm mattresses but wife insisted we go for something more forgiving, but the medium tension is just right. I'd obviously been wrong all these years

As the thread evidences, its clearly horses for courses.
    One thing I would say though, is that since we switched to a Tempur we no longer irritate each other with our tossing and turning through the night - used to bounce each-other around on a regular mattress (and not in the good way fnar fnar)

we have one of these TEMPUR® Hybrid Mattresses only bad thing is when changing the sheets it is very heavy to lift up but very comfortable to sleep on.

https://uk.tempur.com/mattresses/hyb...UKHYBRIDM.html

Master
    We have an original Tempur an I love it. I get very cold at night so it’s perfect! However it is nearly 10 years old and I think it’s starting to dip in places.

Out of interest are the new memory foam campaniles (Emma, Simba etc) meant to be as good as Tempur?

Master
    Without my reading glasses I first read the title as "Choosing a mistress". Was quite disappointed when I put them on....

Can someone start "Choosing a mistress" thread?

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Without my reading glasses I first read the title as "Choosing a mistress". Was quite disappointed when I put them on....

Can someone start "Choosing a mistress" thread?

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    That would be a much more entertaining thread!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darklel View Post
    That would be a much more entertaining thread!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
    ... but somewhat more costly than a mattress, from what I've heard.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    ... but somewhat more costly than a mattress, from what I've heard.

https://www.furniturevillage.co.uk/magnificence-mattress/MAGFMATT60-005.html?istCompanyId=32a7a394-6440-4007-a75f-7a392507ff63&istFeedId=a8d02b98-5516-4467-a214-60ec0674ed5e&istItemId=ialmqitxl&istBid=t&landing= true&_$ja=tsid:%7ccid:18528620154%7cagid:%7ctid:%7 ccrid:%7cnw:x%7crnd:11085388387354609670%7cdvc:m%7 cadp:%7cloc:1006890&cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=18528 620154&cq_con=&cq_term=&cq_med=pla&cq_plac=&cq_net =x&cq_pos=&cq_plt=gp&gclid=CjwKCAiAr4GgBhBFEiwAgwO RrdMsFt6QYan8QiZXslzG9BIn70pdM8b5dIBoxn4XdxTWM3O0j Exs3hoCRxsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or possibly not ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    We have an original Tempur an I love it. I get very cold at night so it’s perfect! However it is nearly 10 years old and I think it’s starting to dip in places.
    Our Tempur is coming up 20 years old and we haven't noticed any dips - though to be fair these days we very rarely venture across the divide :wink:

As you mention, enormously heavy

There was a whole program on mattresses on Radio 4 at lunchtime today.

They said Which magazine had just crowned a hybrid silent night as their best buy.

Go to you local library, and dig out the March issue for best buys, or maybe a subscriber could post some information.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    https://www.furniturevillage.co.uk/magnificence-mattress/MAGFMATT60-005.html?istCompanyId=32a7a394-6440-4007-a75f-7a392507ff63&istFeedId=a8d02b98-5516-4467-a214-60ec0674ed5e&istItemId=ialmqitxl&istBid=t&landing= true&_$ja=tsid:%7ccid:18528620154%7cagid:%7ctid:%7 ccrid:%7cnw:x%7crnd:11085388387354609670%7cdvc:m%7 cadp:%7cloc:1006890&cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=18528 620154&cq_con=&cq_term=&cq_med=pla&cq_plac=&cq_net =x&cq_pos=&cq_plt=gp&gclid=CjwKCAiAr4GgBhBFEiwAgwO RrdMsFt6QYan8QiZXslzG9BIn70pdM8b5dIBoxn4XdxTWM3O0j Exs3hoCRxsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or possibly not ....

Ouch!

I bought this from Mattressman https://www.mattressnextday.co.uk/sl...iAAEgIR0vD_BwE

Its the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on

There was a whole program on mattresses on Radio 4 at lunchtime today.

They said Which magazine had just crowned a hybrid silent night as their best buy.

Go to you local library, and dig out the March issue for best buys, or maybe a subscriber could post some information.
    Thanks for the info. I have just listened to the podcast which was quite informative.

The 'Which Best Buy' mattress was an Eve Premium Hybrid (according to the podcast).