closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Explorer I alternatives?

Craftsman
    I’d always go Explorer but I’m biased as I have two. In terms of homages the incipio is the best 1026 homage I’ve tried. It wears slightly smaller than the 1016.

I’ve never tried the Alpha explorer but it’s a great case shape for a 114270 homage and only 107 euro. It’s also available in 39mm.

Both of these for fun but the explorer 1 has been around for ever for good reason. I’d defiantly encourage you to at least try one on and see for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone else has suggested, a three hander non-date GS is a viable option

I’ve owned a 14270, but think that some GS exude as much class and design beauty and purity as the Explorer. I’m still a fan, but prefer an Everest as it is less blingy. And surprisingly I don’t crave the Explorer.

Not all GS are equal, but some in the Elegance range, at 37mm and with quite extraordinary dials could make you change your mind. They did me.

There are a lot of fine alternatives to the Explorer. The Sinn 556 is terrific at its price point. It’s all very personal, but I find the current IWC Marks a bit boring, and I dislike the size and vintage lume of the Tudor Ranger.

The Explorer is an unassuming classic design that I absolutely adore. I’ve got one of the later Luminova 14270 models, but I think anything from that point on is terrific, as long as it’s 36mm. I would try and get one of the latest models as the older ones aren’t any less expensive. As has already been said, nothing else will quite scratch the itch.

Mine

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes that is true but today using the term Explorer1 makes everything crystal clear.
    Hesalite or Sapphire?

*runs away quickly*

SGR

Master
    This chap popped up on Creation. Not an homage, but some of the styling cues.

Like it.

£93, with an extra 10% at the moment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking72 View Post
    That does look nice!

It's the short hand version, the same as the one I am wearing right now.

Craftsman
    I sold a submariner to buy a 2016 (Mk2) Explorer. I think it is a great watch (wore it for almost 3-years ignoring all others) but always wondered if I should have bought a 36mm Explorer.

I tried a Smiths Everest (for size) but it didn’t stay.

Now I’ve fallen out of love with the 39mm Explorer. It’s only still with me in case I look at it in a few months and still want to keep it!

As others have said - try one (or two). You will not lose a huge amount and they are great watches.

In the dim, distant past, the Zeno (Zex) version of the Explorer was considered one of the better, reasonably-priced homages. It's been available in 36 & 38mm versions.

Plenty of pictures on Google.
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Don’t be distracted by the noise. Brilliant watches.

Newbie question! So - looking at that image - is that considered a 'long hand' model?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Newbie question! So - looking at that image - is that considered a 'long hand' model?
    It’s the 124270 so new 36mm.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    It’s the 124270 so new 36mm.
    Yep it is the latest model.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Yep it is the latest model.
    Thanks for the reply - it is very nice!

I'm reading this thread with interest. Compared to most, I'm new to this 'hobby' and have decided that I'm not really a 'collector' so I will probably not own that many watches at one time - maybe 3 or 4. I have always liked the look of an Explorer and dreamt of owning one but felt the entry price to ownership was just too much for my humble budget. I have however been given the 'nod' from the purse keeper that I can increase my spending and maybe buy one.

As a starter - I've recently managed to buy a Smiths PRS 25 so that I can see how I like a 36mm watch and will also try and find something in a similar Explorer style, at 39mm to help me decide.

Explorer I alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Thanks for the reply - it is very nice!

I'm reading this thread with interest. Compared to most, I'm new to this 'hobby' and have decided that I'm not really a 'collector' so I will probably not own that many watches at one time - maybe 3 or 4. I have always liked the look of an Explorer and dreamt of owning one but felt the entry price to ownership was just too much for my humble budget. I have however been given the 'nod' from the purse keeper that I can increase my spending and maybe buy one.

As a starter - I've recently managed to buy a Smiths PRS 25 so that I can see how I like a 36mm watch and will also try and find something in a similar Explorer style, at 39mm to help me decide.
    A fantastic choice. I have also owned a couple of those and they got me used to wearing 36mm watch. I have also owned a 39mm 214270 (2016 onwards come with the longer hands and lumed numerals). I never kept the 39mm, probably a touch to big for my tastes but a great watch nonetheless.

Good luck with your search. With your smiths, you have started in the best place.

the smiths is a great watch. i agree with others that if you have your heart set on an explorer then that's what you should get. however, i owned the older 36mm, and still own the mark 2 39mm. i bought the tudor black bay 36mm a while back and it's the equal of either of them imo. (subjective but i never loved the font of the modern explorer arabics)

I’m just going to chime in to say the explorer is a bit overrated. It’s a great watch, no doubt about that, it’s even priced close to fairly, at RRP but it’s not the watch to end all watches IMO.

If you’re looking for a versatile, black-dialled, 3-hander, there are plenty of alternatives out there, including the OP36/39, IWC Mark (pick your favourite) Tudor BB36, Tudor ranger, Omega AT, Sinn 556, Longines Spirit, Tag Carrera and so on. Naturally, none of them are the real deal but it depends on whether you want something similar, or you just want the explorer, which is fine too.

No offence meant to any owners, just my thoughts

Master

Explorer I alternatives?

I’ve had the explorer and just found it a tad dull. For a lot less money you can get 99% of the watch and some alternatives which are less plain, that are definitely not homage for such a simple design. One of my favourite at the moment is the Christopher Ward Dune sand colour.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I’ve had the explorer and just found it a tad dull. For a lot less money you can get 99% of the watch and some alternatives which are less plain, that are definitely not homage for such a simple design. One of my favourite at the moment is the Christopher Ward Dune sand colour.

Cor that´s nice, thanks, hadn´t seen it before.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Are homages allowed? If so, try the San Martin SN021-G-B1. It's superb. I have one and have had two Explorers. I prefer the San Martin.
    I'd agree. The build and finish are way, way, way above the price point - especially the bracelet which is one of the best I've ever seen on any watch at any price.

Explorer I alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I'd agree. The build and finish are way, way, way above the price point - especially the bracelet which is one of the best I've ever seen on any watch at any price.

I was intrigued enough to buy one of these a couple of weeks ago. It hasn’t left my wrist since.

It’s not an Explorer homage per se, but it takes its inspiration from the Tudor Ranger.

It left me questioning if there is a better watch out there for under £200. Just to echo the comments above, the finishing, complete with flawless brushing and polished chamfers is mind boggling for the price point. And for context I also have an Explorer 1 124270.

You can get these in 38mm or 36mm (the perfect size for this type of watch).

This is the watch size Tudor should have done the new Ranger in.

I suspect they didn’t as with Tudor’s adjustable clasp, it would have become a thorn in the side of the new Explorer 124270 and a real contender for the elusive one watch collection.
    Last edited by namzo; 21st February 2023 at 23:28.

Master
    Quite fond of this. Came on a NATO.

Craftsman
    I'll echo the sentiments of many here. I always wanted an explorer, and thought I could scratch the itch with a Smiths PRS25. I loved it for a while, but that longing for the Explorer came back! Picked my 124270 up in January 22, and it has rarely left my wrist since. Yes there are days when I think it can be a bit dull, but then I'll catch it in a certain light, and fall in love with it all over again. Don't compromise, get the Explorer!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    I'll echo the sentiments of many here. I always wanted an explorer, and thought I could scratch the itch with a Smiths PRS25. I loved it for a while, but that longing for the Explorer came back! Picked my 124270 up in January 22, and it has rarely left my wrist since. Yes there are days when I think it can be a bit dull, but then I'll catch it in a certain light, and fall in love with it all over again. Don't compromise, get the Explorer!
    Totally agree, the Explorer is the only Explorer and everything else is some sort of copy.

That's part of the problem with it for me, it's been done too death, it's a bit boring, and familiarity breeds contempt...to wit the bogus Everest backstory. Personally I think the white OP 39 mm is by far the nicer, much cooler watch sans the pretentiousness...also less shouty, attention seeking...

Another happy San Martin customer here fwiw, I've got the 37mm x 46 mm Black Bay homage, very pleasing in the dark green dial version, looks amazing in the sunshine, price around just 200 quid, bonkers.
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd February 2023 at 10:28.

Ive always considered the Aqua Terra to be the Omega alternative to an Explorer. And, dare I say, a better watch. At least you can buy one.

Craftsman
    There's a few in this list that haven't been mentioned yet : https://theslenderwrist.com/rolex-ex...-alternatives/

When looking down the same rabbit hole, I ended up with the Everest PRS-25 (36mm). I did try the 14270 on, (found one still at £3,500 back in 2018 !) before I bought the PRS-25, and it basically made me realise that it was the 1016 I wanted, and not the 14270, and with the 1016 basically now too expensive as a tool watch (and despite what some say, probably as much of a thief magnet as the more blingy Rolex), the PRS-25 was a no brainer for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide !

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    There's a few in this list that haven't been mentioned yet : https://theslenderwrist.com/rolex-ex...-alternatives/

When looking down the same rabbit hole, I ended up with the Everest PRS-25 (36mm). I did try the 14270 on, (found one still at £3,500 back in 2018 !) before I bought the PRS-25, and it basically made me realise that it was the 1016 I wanted, and not the 14270, and with the 1016 basically now too expensive as a tool watch (and despite what some say, probably as much of a thief magnet as the more blingy Rolex), the PRS-25 was a no brainer for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide !
    Indeed.

This, surely, is the key reason for the success of the PRS-25 - all Rolex successors to the 1016 are less attractive than that classic design and yet buying an actual 1016 is eye-wateringly expensive and it's not really usable as a robust tool watch given its age and value. The PRS-25 gets you close to a classic 1016 case and dial, it's well made, inexpensive and is usable in all contexts without a concern.

Master
    There's the Epos 3411 for a similar look but with enough DNA of it's own
    https://epos.ch/en/product/3411-131-20-54-30/

But only 50m WR...

I was at The Science Museum today and this seemed pertinent…

Ultimately it is a no date, black dial 3 hander. People say things like “nothing does it quite like the Explorer” but in reality that’s not true. If you detach yourself from the marketing and icon aspects, there are lots of watches that do the same or, for someone like me who needs a date on a watch, better.

Omega Aqua Terra, Sinn 556i and 556a, Smiths Everest, Seiko Sarb 033, C Ward Sealander 36mm, Tudor Ranger, Tudor BB36 and plenty of others I’m sure.

But, if you’ve got your heart set on the Explorer there’s no point frittering too much money away elsewhere, you may as well get one of the cheaper alternatives to tide you over, get your name on the list and start saving.

I say get your name on the list because IMO you’re better off getting the current 36mm model; better size, better movement and better priced than the 39 at grey dealers. There was a nice 36mm on SC recently at a good price, not sure if it’s still there?

If you can get a TimeFactors Everest that’s as good a temporary alternative as you’re likely to find, alternatively have a look at the new C Ward Dune range; 38mm case, 150m WR, box sapphire, great lume, nicely understated do it all watch, bracelet has tool free micro adjust etc and it’s well priced. I have the GMT version and can heartily recommend them.

Last edited by davidj54; 23rd February 2023 at 09:50.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think this boils down to, can you resist the pull of the Rolex brand.

If so loads of great alternatives, if not get saving/waitlisted.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Quite fond of this. Came on a NATO.

Those are the arabics Rolex SHOULD use. Not the weird 90s Breitling type ones.

To be fair, those are a bit oversized but if they put a BB bronze dial (obviously not in bronze), with curved 1016 style numerals, on an explorer it would be:

(Hope that gif works or it’s just a weird picture!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

Unfortunately, I think the Rolex brand is an irreducible part of the Explorer recipe. It’s that balance of a rather loud and desirable luxury brand, with a design that’s actually subtle, and a hint of ‘dark horse’ sportiness and adventure. There’s a balance there, a loud brand and a quiet design, combined with enough testosterone to make it less dressy and jewellery-like than the similar Oyster Perpetual. Change one of those ingredients and you have a different feeling and a different watch. Perhaps a perfectly good one, but it won’t hit quite the same spot. The IWC Marks have the same ‘luxury action man’ quality, but they bring in fantasy pilot references and haven’t been the right size since the Mark XV, while Omega brings in some nautical notes. But there’s nothing that’s exactly like an Explorer in the same way that a negroni doesn’t taste like a negroni if you change one of its three ingredients. I’m not saying you shouldn’t change those ingredients, Negroni Sbagliatos and Boulevardiers are excellent, they just don’t taste quite the same.

Going to hit the Tudor and Rolex dealers and try the Ranger, Black Bay 36 and Explorer 36/39.

More data

Going to hit the Tudor and Rolex dealers and try the Ranger, Black Bay 36 and Explorer 36/39.

More data

You don’t see many black dial BB36’s about anymore, not sure if Tudor are still producing it. Would be good if they rebooted it with the new COSC movement and T clasp. At the moment it has the same RRP as the Ranger even though it has the basic clasp and ETA or Seillita movement.

More data

You’ll be lucky to get hold of a 39mm Expl, I’d have thought. It’ll need to be used stock, obvs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

One thing to bear in mind is that thousands of people buy copies, fakes and homages because they like the Explorer.

You never come across a case where people buy an Explorer because they like the copies, fakes and homages.

There is only the one Rolex, so do yourself a favour and buy one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    One thing to bear in mind is that thousands of people buy copies, fakes and homages because they like the Explorer.

You never come across a case where people buy an Explorer because they like the copies, fakes and homages.

Have to agree with this.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Unfortunately, I think the Rolex brand is an irreducible part of the Explorer recipe. It’s that balance of a rather loud and desirable luxury brand, with a design that’s actually subtle, and a hint of ‘dark horse’ sportiness and adventure. There’s a balance there, a loud brand and a quiet design, combined with enough testosterone to make it less dressy and jewellery-like than the similar Oyster Perpetual. Change one of those ingredients and you have a different feeling and a different watch. Perhaps a perfectly good one, but it won’t hit quite the same spot. The IWC Marks have the same ‘luxury action man’ quality, but they bring in fantasy pilot references and haven’t been the right size since the Mark XV, while Omega brings in some nautical notes. But there’s nothing that’s exactly like an Explorer in the same way that a negroni doesn’t taste like a negroni if you change one of its three ingredients. I’m not saying you shouldn’t change those ingredients, Negroni Sbagliatos and Boulevardiers are excellent, they just don’t taste quite the same.
    Nicely put, agree with all of this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    In the spirit of pedantry. You can only have one alternative.
    In the same spirit, "you can have only one alternative."

"I only like Kate Middleton" means that my sentiment extends no further than liking her, but expresses nothing of my feelings towards other ladies.

"I like only Kate Middleton" means that no other ladies enjoy my affection.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 23rd February 2023 at 14:52.

The omega railmasters are rather nice actually

Craftsman

Probably because once you've had something like the Everest, you realise that you've got 95% of the ownership experience for 5% of the cost, and very quickly come to the conclusion that the cost of upgrading for the remaining 5% of the ownership experience simply isn't worth it :-)

Probably because once you've had something like the Everest, you realise that you've got 95% of the ownership experience for 5% of the cost, and very quickly come to the conclusion that the cost of upgrading for the remaining 5% of the ownership experience simply isn't worth it :-)
    While I agree the Everest is a great watch it isn't an Explorer and never will be irrespective of cost.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    The omega railmasters are rather nice actually

That’s not a bad shout, actually. They’re an alternative that might prove to be liveable with in the long term.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That’s not a bad shout, actually. They’re an alternative that might prove to be liveable with in the long term.
    I like the RailMaster but the name just says Train Spotter to me and ruins it.

Craftsman
    I would prefer a bit of colour…from the photos, all the Explorer models look too bland to me. What am I missing? I just don’t understand the appeal given how expensive and hard to get they are. I would maybe consider buying one if they were a lot cheaper and easier to get….but as things are I can easily ignore them.

This is true of all Rolexes I have seen and vaguely liked the look of, e.g. OPs…”oh that looks quite nice…let’s see how much it is…wow, no thanks” And that’s before you factor in how snooty ADs can be, and the stupid waiting lists.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    While I agree the Everest is a great watch it isn't an Explorer and never will be irrespective of cost.
    No criticism meant - but that’s precisely why companies spend so much on Marketing and branding. It’s virtually the same but brand x is better than brand y because we say so.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    No criticism meant - but that’s precisely why companies spend so much on Marketing and branding. It’s virtually the same but brand x is better than brand y because we say so.
    THIS.

Master
    Another option to throw into the mix, the Nivada Super Antarctic 3-6-9 dial.
    https://nivadagrenchenofficial.com/c...3-6-9-tropical

Master
    I bought my first Rolex in January 2014. I walked into the shop and came out with a 39mm Explorer1 for £3,950.00 after I haggled £450.00 off the price as you could back in those days.

I dare say I could easily sell it for £5000.00 today quite easily if I so wished. So in effect I have been paid £1000.00 to wear a Rolex. You won't get that with an Everest.

Rolex is not expensive, in fact it is a give away.