closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Explorer I alternatives?

Explorer I alternatives?

So I’’’ve wanted a Explorer I for ages (not sure if 39 or 36mm) but Rolex prices are so mental I am wondering if I should consider alternatives with the same daily wearer/dressy aesthetic at a better price point. Tudor Ranger and Sinn 556a come to mind (IWC XX even - altho hate the bracelet) but curious what the forum hivemind thinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explorer I alternatives?

I currently own an Exp1 36mm and have owned every variant of 556.
    IMHO you would be best off either saving up and waiting for the watch you really want or spend a lot less and get a smiths PRS 25 36mm.
    Last edited by Gavbaz; 20th February 2023 at 21:57.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There is no alternative ...

I have an Explorer (36mm) and a Mark XX don't consider them similar myself.

The bracelet on the Mark XX is superior to the Oyster bracelet ... different aesthetic obviously.

Always go for what you really want.
    A substitute will always be a substitute

Craftsman

Explorer I alternatives?

You can beat an explorer I 36mm. Classic, understated, quality.

Last edited by paneristi372; 21st February 2023 at 17:22.

Master
    I just cannot think of any watch that does it as much as an Explorer1, it really is what a watch is about.

An Explorer 1 is the perfect example of less is more. There is no alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    There are loads of alternatives.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 20th February 2023 at 22:32.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Hold out for what you want!

In the interim, I would also confirm the size you want, for me I thought I could get away with a 36mm and I can, but I know I prefer a bigger watch.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    You can beat an explorer I 36mm. Classic, understated, quality.
    Sure you can, it's called an Explorer 1 39mm

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Such as?

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Such as?
    On top of what the OP posted.....

Eddies, plenty of simple dial Seiko's to name a couple.

The branding is not worth what people are paying.

So basically a reasonably sized 3 hander, in stainless steel on a decent bracelet and with a decent movement and solid water resistance. In the past I’d agree that you should just buy the Explorer, but they are so over priced now you could buy a small collection of excellent alternatives which have already been mentioned, save a wedge of money and not have to pander to salesmen in watch shops or daft waiting lists. Up to you!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    So basically a reasonably sized 3 hander, in stainless steel on a decent bracelet and with a decent movement and solid water resistance. In the past I’d agree that you should just buy the Explorer, but they are so over priced now you could buy a small collection of excellent alternatives which have already been mentioned, save a wedge of money and not have to pander to salesmen in watch shops or daft waiting lists. Up to you!
    100%

I bought the new Ranger in preference to the Explorer, and saved a fair amount in the bargain. No it’s not a Rolex, but I have a few of those already, and each one I’d wear before I’d wear an Explorer - but I still wear the Ranger a fair amount.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I was going to say the tudor ranger if you want a good movement and 'reassuringly expensive', or the smiths Everest if you want a great value alternative and are ok with a more basic movement.

Craftsman
    One of these would do nicely (if you aren’t after a current production watch).

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-...ilmaster-39mm/

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I bought the new Ranger in preference to the Explorer, and saved a fair amount in the bargain. No it’s not a Rolex, but I have a few of those already, and each one I’d wear before I’d wear an Explorer - but I still wear the Ranger a fair amount.
    Yeah I’ll have to try a Ranger on. I also have a couple of Rollies so it’s not that I couldn’t get an Ex I, it’s just the price is nuts like someone said above.

100%
    200%

Master
    Are homages allowed? If so, try the San Martin SN021-G-B1. It's superb. I have one and have had two Explorers. I prefer the San Martin.

I sold my explorer; the timefactors Everest does the job* much better.**

*for me, “the job” means a nice, well made but entirely utilitarian watch that should be robust and induce absolutely zero wearer anxiety in any scenario. It pains me to say it, and I do still admire them, but the Explorer is not an innately better watch in any real world sense, and its price undermines its utility.

** having said that, I don’t think it’s something I would have cared to believe had I not at least scratched the Explorer itch….

Craftsman
    Why do people call it an Explorer 1 ?

Also why do people always say Sub no date.

These two items don't exist.

On a forum which hates the word deployent, I would have thought people would know the Rolex models :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post

On a forum which hates the word deployent, I would have thought people would know the Rolex models :-).
    Oh dear, you've fallen into the 'there is no Explorer 1' pit, and now you will be made to look silly. Retract, retract fast!

Items 1 and 2 - boring, done to death. Item 3 - "deployment" actually annoys me more (if you feel hatred rather than just annoyance, get some help).

Master

Do you know what he means? Then does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Oh dear, you've fallen into the 'there is no Explorer 1' pit, and now you will be made to look silly. Retract, retract fast!
    This

Explorer I alternatives?

Don’t be distracted by the noise. Brilliant watches.

Last edited by Gavbaz; 21st February 2023 at 08:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Do you know what he means? Then does it really matter?

This
    It was know as “The Great Explorer” until the Explorer II came out and since they are known as I and II respectively or First and Second Explorer

Master
    In the spirit of pedantry. You can only have one alternative. You can however have loads or a range of options.

Speaking of which I have an Explorer 114270 36 mm and a Smiths Explorer PRS 25 36 mm.

Do I prefer the Rolex, yes. Is it worth the 20 X premium over the PRS25 ? Absolutely not. Both slip under the radar, are easy to read, fit well with shirt cuffs. Yes the Miyota movement in the Prs25 is noisier, but its a £350 watch.

Can I conclude by agreeing with a number of posters above. You open with “ So Ive wanted an Explorer for ages”. If thats what you want save up your coppers as any other option will be a compromise and you will still “want” an Explorer.

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 21st February 2023 at 08:49.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've never had long term contentment with any substitute watch I've bought. If I were you I would buy a PRS25 to tide you over until you can get the Explorer.

You may find it wears small and pushes you towards the 39mm, or might just cement your desire for the 36mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking72 View Post
    Yeah I’ll have to try a Ranger on. I also have a couple of Rollies so it’s not that I couldn’t get an Ex I, it’s just the price is nuts like someone said above.

I would say though that once you have covered the price of entry there’s little downside to ownership of the Explorer - if you prefer it, just do it ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I would say though that once you have covered the price of entry there’s little downside to ownership of the Explorer - if you prefer it, just do it ;)
    Yeah. Wonder if the Rollie dealers in London have any on display so I can try 36 vs 39. I’ll just have to sell something to fund the Explorer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking72 View Post
    It was know as “The Great Explorer” until the Explorer II came out and since they are known as I and II respectively or First and Second Explorer

I know. Not sure why you are quoting me, I didn’t have an issue with it , and agreeing with the other post I quoted reinforced this 🤷🏽*♂️

Master
    I have the MK1 version of the 39mm Explorer that I bought in 2014. The salesman in the AD was wearing a 36mm model and the difference in physical size was hardly noticeable when on the wrist.

The MK1 is a bit more blingy in that the 3,6 and 9 numerals are in white gold. The later MK11 version is a bit less blingy as the 3,6 and 9 numerals just match up with the batons being lumina (or similar) edged by a thin sliver of white gold.

Therefore I would be more concerned with your attitude to bling rather that the size.

But please persevere because the Explorer1 is very very special.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Only if Haywood has a rant about it ;-) and brings up some 1980's doc which says 1 on it.

Today there is no reference to it being called a 1, like wise there is NO SUB No Date either !

Master
    Only if Haywood has a rant about it ;-) and brings up some 1980's doc which says 1 on it.

Today there is no reference to it being called a 1, like wise there is NO SUB No Date either !
    Yes that is true but today using the term Explorer1 makes everything crystal clear.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have the MK1 version of the 39mm Explorer that I bought in 2014. The salesman in the AD was wearing a 36mm model and the difference in physical size was hardly noticeable when on the wrist.

The MK1 is a bit more blingy in that the 3,6 and 9 numerals are in white gold. The later MK11 version is a bit less blingy as the 3,6 and 9 numerals just match up with the batons being lumina (or similar) edged by a thin sliver of white gold.

Therefore I would be more concerned with your attitude to bling rather that the size.

I would say you need to be more concerned about wanting the right length hands :-), cannot say I like the T-rex although it does have a fun slang name. At least Rolex fixed it in the mk2 39mm which I guess is quite a short run so might hold value more.
    But quite an error to make it 39mm and forget to make the hands longer !

Rolex do some daft things then change them back (Sub maxi case) !!! yuk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    I know. Not sure why you are quoting me, I didn’t have an issue with it , and agreeing with the other post I quoted reinforced this 🤷ðŸ½*♂ï¸
    It was only in jest and agree with you rather than those of the orthodoxy…

Less bling is better.

Master
    I would say you need to be more concerned about wanting the right length hands :-), cannot say I like the T-rex although it does have a fun slang name. At least Rolex fixed it in the mk2 39mm which I guess is quite a short run so might hold value more.
    But quite an error to make it 39mm and forget to make the hands longer !

Rolex do some daft things then change them back (Sub maxi case) !!! yuk.
    From a "niceness" point of view, the longer hands look better, no dispute over that.

However Rolex collectors like the odd balls up and even more if it's on a short production run. Therefore short hands be very collectable in years to come.

Just think of the Explorer11 model 1655. The "disco dial" is a total lash up but collectors will sell their wives and daughters for it.
    Last edited by Mick P; 21st February 2023 at 10:35.

Master
    Blog Entries
    These threads come up from time to time and they generaly progress the same way.

If the OP wants a Rolex then really there are no alternatives ... and usualy people want a Rolex.

Every Rolex model has many homages and similar offerings from a whole host of brands; some of which are near identical and others of which are just similar ...

If someone wants a watch similar to the Explorer then there are many great options and I'd recommend the Smiths PRS-25.

However, if someone wants a Rolex there is only the Explorer available ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Take price out of it they are much better than the sum of their parts. I would get on a waitlist or two, they are not the most sought after. You may find a lot of flipping trying stop gaps until you get what your really want. *

*says he who has just got a BB58 coming when I know I really want an old seadweller or sub wear on a nato.

Craftsman
    From a "niceness" point of view, the longer hands look better, no dispute over that.

However Rolex collectors like the odd balls up and even more if it's on a short production run. Therefore short hands be very collectable in years to come.

Just think of the Explorer11 model 1655. The "disco dial" is a total lash up but collectors will sell their wives and daughters for it.
    All about numbers in the world, I think the Explorer 39mm mk2 had a shorter run so will be a lot less about. A circa 3 year run for the 39mm mark 2 and hard to get in COVID as less made in that time frame. A 6 or 7 year run for the T-rex, there are 1000's of them made over 6/7 years, it's not a "odd balls up" watch it's a 7 year full production watch and it looks daft :-) also double the amount for sale on Crono24 vs the 39mm MK2.

So I feel personally the collectors always want the short run models.
    Last edited by Mrdemon; 21st February 2023 at 10:52.

Master
    All about numbers in the world, I think the Explorer 39mm mk2 had a shorter run so will be a lot less about. A circa 3 year run for the 39mm mark 2 and hard to get in COVID as less made in that time frame. A 6 or 7 year run for the T-rex, there are 1000's of them made over 6/7 years, it's not a "odd balls up" watch it's a 7 year full production watch and it looks daft :-) also double the amount for sale on Crono24 vs the 39mm MK2.

So I feel personally the collectors always want the short run models.
    The most sought after Explorer11 is the 1655. Dealers struggled to give them away and now they are sought after. Production run was 1971-1984. The volumes were low due to their undesirability at the time.

Craftsman
    The most sought after Explorer11 is the 1655. Dealers struggled to give them away and now they are sought after. Production run was 1971-1984. The volumes were low due to their undesirability at the time.
    I guess we will only know in 10 years then :-) who was right.

Yes that is true but today using the term Explorer1 makes everything crystal clear.
    Unlike calling the second one the eleven.

Another thread for the OP to consider, as Montello says the question does pop up regularly.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...r-Alternatives

As others have said, there really is no alternative, unless you're in that rare camp of collector or WIS who can ignore the siren song of the model you REALLY want, singing sweetly in your ears.

I tried I think about four alternatives before deciding to buy an Explorer. A change in my work practices and the ever rising prices of Rolex (and others) mean that I could not afford to do that now, but it is almost a perfect watch. I'd keep it above my Sub any day of the week.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Don’t be distracted by the noise. Brilliant watches.

Great shot

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would add that I would have a look at the GS three handers

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Another thread for the OP to consider, as Montello says the question does pop up regularly.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...r-Alternatives

As others have said, there really is no alternative, unless you're in that rare camp of collector or WIS who can ignore the siren song of the model you REALLY want, singing sweetly in your ears.

I tried I think about four alternatives before deciding to buy an Explorer. A change in my work practices and the ever rising prices of Rolex (and others) mean that I could not afford to do that now, but it is almost a perfect watch. I'd keep it above my Sub any day of the week.

Good luck!

That does look nice!