closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Insurance Question -Policyholder/Main Driver versus NCD

Car Insurance Question -Policyholder/Main Driver versus NCD

Our household has one car and the registered keeper/owner is my wife. We tend to use it 50:50 but I probably drive more miles as if we are both in the car, I'll usually drive. In any case, if necessary, we could adjust the ratio quite easily so there is no possibilty of "fronting".

Over the past couple of years, we have been flip-flopping the policy so that both of our NCD stay current within two years.

It's up for renewal and my plan was to nominate my wife as the policyholder, me as the main driver and nominate her NCD. This would keep mine free if I end up buying a car this year, whilst also meaning I don't have to become a passenger more often!

Our previous insurer had no issues with this but googling it appears that some insurers would require the "main driver" to be the one that provides and builds their NCD.

Anyone know what the norm is or is this going to be a case of phoning up each of the insurers from the quote engine to see what they say?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Our household has one car and the registered keeper/owner is my wife. We tend to use it 50:50 but I probably drive more miles as if we are both in the car, I'll usually drive. In any case, if necessary, we could adjust the ratio quite easily so there is no possibilty of "fronting".

Over the past couple of years, we have been flip-flopping the policy so that both of our NCD stay current within two years.

It's up for renewal and my plan was to nominate my wife as the policyholder, me as the main driver and nominate her NCD. This would keep mine free if I end up buying a car this year, whilst also meaning I don't have to become a passenger more often!

Our previous insurer had no issues with this but googling it appears that some insurers would require the "main driver" to be the one that provides and builds their NCD.

Anyone know what the norm is or is this going to be a case of phoning up each of the insurers from the quote engine to see what they say?
    Tbh I always thought it was only the main driver that could use their NCD on a policy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Tbh I always thought it was only the main driver that could use their NCD on a policy.
    I discussed this with our current insurer when I renewed last year and they didn’t seem to mind. The outgoing policy has my wife as policyholder, uses her NCD but lists me as the main driver.

Under normal circumstances, I’d just renew with them but they’ve gone from the cheapest provider to one of the most expensive and weren’t willing to entertain a lower price when I enquired on online chat. Insurance seems to be the most illogical industry to try and work out!

Craftsman
    My friends son passed his test at 18 and couldn’t afford to insure his car, a 2 year old Corsa. It was owned in his sons name. My friend (his dad) insured it, put his son as a named driver and all seemed well.
    Three months later the car was stolen, the insurance refused to pay and cancelled the policy. They said it was illegal and they might take legal action (they didn’t). He went to CAB for advice who said the insurers where correct. And apparently it’s not their job to make sure you do things correctly even tho they took the money.
    Now he has to declare a cancelled policy for the rest of his life when insuring his Car, his policy has gone up around 6 times it’s normal price. His son is also a £10k car down.

So whatever you do make sure you are within the law!

Craftsman
    Oh, I should have said, in his case they classed it as fraud due to it being obvious they where trying to circumnavigate the higher costs of a young driver. You CAN legal insure a car you don’t own, but not if it’s for fraudulent reasons.

The main driver is usually defined as the one who drives the car most often and earns the NCD. If you intend adopting an approach contrary to this, I'd be looking for clear and written confirmation from your insurer.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    The main driver is usually defined as the one who drives the car most often and earns the NCD. If you intend adopting an approach contrary to this, I'd be looking for clear and written confirmation from your insurer.
    Agree, which is exactly what my old insurer was happy to do. In fact, the renewal notice they sent has my wife as the policyholder, me as the main driver and her as the named person for the NCD.

What I don’t get is if we switch to using my NCD….if my wife as the policyholder subsequently has an accident, is it my NCD that gets the hit, even though she would have her own NCD that isn’t being used?

Insurance is so counterintuitive sometimes!

Craftsman
    I am with Admiral, and they make it clear that it’s the policy holder who can apply and build the NCB, they seem to be indifferent as to who owns the car, and who is the main driver. I suspect this may be the case because it’s between me and my wife, with kids I can imagine this being different.

With my wife’s car, the car is owned by me, insured by me with my wife nominated as the main driver. To date it’s never been an issue, that I know or am aware of but with what I’ve read above I might have to check.

I also have 2 lots of NCD both in my name.

Craftsman
    It was my understanding that it was the policyholder in most cases that uses and builds the NCD. It’s their policy after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    It was my understanding that it was the policyholder in most cases that uses and builds the NCD. It’s their policy after all. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This was my thinking, but when I was on the Aviva site, they said this:

"The main driver (or vehicle policyholder) is the person who drives the vehicle most often and earns no claims discount. They do not need to be the principle policyholder but they must live at the same address as them."

This prompted my question because it would suggest the principal policyholder would be my wife, I would be the main (named) driver and I would have to use my NCD.

I have just been onto another insurers quote and chatted with customer services who said it must be the principal policyholders NCD.

All this is as clear as mud! I guess this depends on insurer.

I just went back to my original insurers quote to see if I could get it down...the excess on the renewal was £150 compulsory and £300 voluntary. I adjusted the quote to £0 voluntary...and the renewal price was exactly the same! The way insurers work does my head in!

Craftsman
    We both have full no claims and have gone down to one car in the past 6 months. Both drive 50/50. We are hoping to swap policy holders each year to maintain our NCD.

Quote Originally Posted by baz1 View Post
    We both have full no claims and have gone down to one car in the past 6 months. Both drive 50/50. We are hoping to swap policy holders each year to maintain our NCD.
    I've done this for a few years now and insurance companies are very receptive to it between spouses. Haven't had much issue. What they don't like (obviously) is 'fronting' where people fraudulently take out policies for, say, higher risk family members as named drivers. For husband and wife situation though, to keep NCDs going, they are fine.

We've been swaping policyholders every two years as that seems to be the standard limit for keeping a NCD 'live'.